Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Well I did a colour variation on the Cadillac... Once one set of flames is in place, it's easy to swap another different coloured set in.
    Then I got out the old Stonemason Tin Pan Alley because it always looks good with a car parked in it.

Some great greenery renders being done. Lovin' them all.

FlameJobCaddyAlleyALT.jpg
    675 x 960 - 530K
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited February 2014

Ive been redoing BlooPea, since I wasn't happy with the previous version. I'm feeling happier about this version - so far anyway:

Interesting renders with the leaves guys,

Love that caddy.

BlooPeaProgress2.jpg
    684 x 662 - 87K
    BlooPeaProgress1.jpg
    711 x 574 - 82K
    Post edited by franontheedge on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,508
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - transparency needs time. The poor ray has to squeeze itself through the transparency and if the ray is requested to return on a reflecting face, it has to go through the same ordeal again and again until it is exhausted.

Picture leaves as the Xfrog trees have are very nice but use the transparency to give them the form. Leaves with real geometry, like the ones Bryce has, render much faster. Even with translucency it can be faster if done right.

@Dave - yes, the backdrop makes a huge difference. Light on the Cadillac looks better.

@franontheedge - these Peas evolve.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,360
    edited December 1969

Interesting effects with the tree/leaves experiments.

Dave- cool cadi

Fran - like the new BlooPea seems like you have a male and a female, are you going to make some babies too.

Thanks everyone for the comments on my last renders

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:
    @David Brinnen:
    It seems like a bug. I can reproduce it.

I thought I'll post something with the foliage. I used TA with only 4RP, that's why it's so noisy. Raw render + with some postpro.

Nice effect.

Today, inspired by some of Horo's underground renders, I've decided to tinker around with cave lighting.

Panoc5.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 540K
    Panoc4.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 563K
    Panoc3.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 542K
    Panoc2.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 479K
    Panoc1.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 553K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,508
    edited February 2014

@David - very nice. The first reminds me of http://www.horo.ch/raytracing/gal/pic/p0314.jpg, though your's has the better material.

Post edited by Horo on
  • dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited February 2014

moveing my water one to the water forum, hehehe

Post edited by dana365 on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

And a few more exploring novel ways of using light sources and TA. Might need to re-render at higher rpp's for some of these. In number 8 TA is assisted by using hyper texture boosted diffuse.

Panoc10.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 505K
    Panoc9.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 672K
    Panoc8.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 675K
    Panoc7.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 529K
    Panoc6.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 602K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Love the last, psychedelic cave one - has a gorgeous out-of-this-world look to it.

Jay

• Saul_RosenbergSaul_Rosenberg Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

Here are some images that I did some time ago with BRYCE 6.3 that show different scenarios in which Earth like terrestrial exoplanets and Earth like moons might exist out there. Ironically - right now - I am preparing a MEGA HUGE freebie that includes models and mats for Bryce (and other 3d apps like DAZ STUDIO and POSER) that will give folks the ability to do some amazing space renders!

WBMScene006.png
    1274 x 705 - 412K
    WBMScene005.png
    1135 x 697 - 100K
    WBMScene003b.png
    1177 x 699 - 353K
    WBMScene002b.png
    916 x 655 - 227K
    WBMScene001b.png
    1164 x 689 - 426K
    Post edited by Saul_Rosenberg on
    edited December 1969

Here's some more...

WBMScene11.png
    1274 x 705 - 630K
    WBMScene10.png
    1274 x 705 - 428K
    WBMScene9.png
    1274 x 705 - 558K
    WBMScene8.png
    1274 x 705 - 271K
    WBMScene7b.png
    1274 x 705 - 368K
    edited December 1969

And yet some more...

WBMScene16.png
    1697 x 832 - 2M
    WBMScene15.png
    1274 x 705 - 254K
    WBMScene14.png
    1274 x 705 - 299K
    WBMScene13.png
    1274 x 705 - 308K
    WBMScene12.png
    1274 x 705 - 310K
    edited February 2014

Here are a few more. I am planning on incorporating these into something maybe later.

WBMScene17.png
    1274 x 705 - 743K
    WBMScene19.png
    1274 x 705 - 356K
    WBMScene004b.png
    1120 x 699 - 322K
    Post edited by Saul_Rosenberg on
    edited December 1969

Caves it is then... :-)

Cave.jpg
    855 x 500 - 257K
    edited December 1969

Very nice Mr. Savage.

edited December 1969

Thanks Saul :)

Today I'm on with a job that needed some Carbon Fibre material.
    This is what I came up with. It's mapped onto a rolling hills terrain for this test render.

CarbonFibre.jpg
    855 x 500 - 299K
  • NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

@saul, Looks great let me know when you get those planetary stuff done as SiFi and space scenes are my end goal as I learn Bryce.

edited February 2014

Question to who ever would like to throw in:
    what is the best way to bring text into Bryce, Goshtac's lantern and TheSavage64's Razor Blade are great examples of etched look. and I would like to try something with that.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

I use Elefont which is free, just type it in google.
    It saves text as DXF objects which you can import straight in to Bryce.
    But I've found that it does not cut out the text shapes when you make it negative and an object
    positive and group the 2 together. It just adds the text to the other object.

I would like to know how The savage64 did the text on the razor blade.

• NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

Something like that I would just model in my modeling software (Alibre) with the letters and stuff already etched in, or make the lettering and export it to bryce. I haven't used displacement in Bryce but I would think that would be a good way to etch on a surface....

edited February 2014

thanks you guys for responding,

going to see if I can add Elefont to my tool chest, and check out Alibre

it looks like I might have to stay with my method for positive and negative attributes. it is a little laborious but gets nice results
    I make the shape or text in this case, in Photoshop, save it as a p.n.g, that keeps the transparency
    drop it into Inkscape, make it an s.v.g
    take the s.v.g. to Blender, ask it to extrude the shape and exporting as a 3ds file ( if i remember correctly)
    back to Bryce

I did follow a Bryce tutorial a while ago , that used terrain, and you use your text as the greyscale map, and smooth the edges, but the smoothest I ever got was still a little rough.
    thanks again guys

edited February 2014

here is the one image I used the terrain as a "text" object, the roughnes of the letters actually worked out to my advantage because the end material was rough looking, but by no means are those letters easy to make smooth and straight.

Friction Logo

Friction_Logo.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 493K
    edited December 1969

For 3D text, I always use Google Sketchup (Sketchup is also free).
    It's very simple, just choose 3D Text, click on screen, type whatever text you want, choose the font you want (all the fonts on your system are available), save the result as a .dae and import it into Bryce. Once in Bryce, you can ungroup each letter to move them individually and texture them up individually if you want.

I'll be back later to explain how I got the lettering on the Razor Blade. :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Random render drop again. I am trying to stay away for pastels David, honest I am.

Blue_druids_6.jpg
    675 x 900 - 937K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

For 3D text, I always use Google Sketchup (Sketchup is also free).
    It’s very simple, just choose 3D Text, click on screen, type whatever text you want, choose the font you want (all the fonts on your system are available), save the result as a .dae and import it into Bryce. Once in Bryce, you can ungroup each letter to move them individually and texture them up individually if you want.

I’ll be back later to explain how I got the lettering on the Razor Blade

Thanks very much Dave.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Fran: Those two BlooPea characters are great.

@Dave: I can't decide if I like the Caddy or the building you added better. Excellent mixture.

@Saul: Love the space scenes, almost feels like looking out the window.

@dana: Like the look of those letters.

@Pam: Nice scene.

edited December 1969

StuartB4 : I grabbed EleFont, it works pretty good, the preview area is a little small, but once I get used to the settings, should go well, good solution for getting text in that will remain as a neutral shape.

GussNemo: thanks, band members own hand drawing is where the funky letter shapes came from.

TheSavage64: thanks again, I am not in a big rush, just playing around with some ideas, but I am very curious how you did it.

chohole: I really like how you posed the characters, they look as though they are referencing something off in the distance.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Random render drop again. I am trying to stay away for pastels David, honest I am.

Absolutely spot on Druidic colours there Pam... Really striking! Great. :)
    edited December 1969

The Razor Blade

The writing on the blade was imported in as a .jpg from artwork I had originated in Photoshop.
    The 'etched' effect was done in the Mat Lab using various bump, specular, reflection and anisotropy settings.
    This isn't a science to me, I did just try tons of variations until I got it close enough, but when doing things like this I do try and work methodically so here's some tips.

1. When building the model, try and visualise which parts are going to have writing mapped onto them and where possible make sure those components are not odd shaped booleans. It does make mapping a lot easier.
    2. When creating the artwork you're going to map onto your model, try to make it to the same proportion as the component you're going to map it on to. You can of course aler it in the map lab, but it's easier if it just fits without tweaking.
    3. I usually make a positive and negative version of the artwork to me mapped because some of the options in the Mat Lab don't have negative values.

Pic 1: This is the Wireframe of my Razor Blade model. I have coloured the part that was mapped with the artwork in green.
    You'll see it's just a standard block stretched out and flattened (the blue parts are the cutting edges which I also needed to be able to select as one to alter the material to give it the extra shine along the cutting edge).
    Pic 2: These are the Mat Lab settings for the mapped artwork on the green coloured component.
    In Channel A is one of David's metal materials, channel B is my positive artwork and channel D is my negative artwork.
    The overall Diffusion is driven by David's metal but is inhibited by my positive artwork. This allows the writing to be slightly darker than the metal surrounding it. Specularity comes from my artwork. Bump comes from my negative artwork. This is simply a result of some other permutations I had tried and is of course not necessary as I could have used channel B and put a negative value in the bump setting.
    Anisotropy is supplied by David's metal material and allows the fine imperfections to show up more, similarly with the reflection.

Pics 3 & 4: These are the positive and negative artwork files I used, in case anyone wants to have a go for themselves.

Pic 5: Reposting the finished Razor Blade render for reference.

Bear in mind that lighting and environment also have a lot to do with how metal will look. I only used the Bryce sun (some faint clouds also add to the reflection), but positioned it so it picked the maximum amount of detail and made one end of the blade lighter than the other, this allows the effect of etching to subtly change across the render adding to the overall effect.

My render settings were Premium: Soft Shadows, True Ambience (with TA scattering correction), Max Ray Depth reduced to 3, Rays Per Pixel 16.
    Document set to render at 2X size. Render time: 15 minutes.

Hope this helps :)

RazorBlade.jpg
    960 x 600 - 247K
    Blade2.jpg
    640 x 340 - 30K
    Blade1.jpg
    640 x 340 - 30K
    MatLab.jpg
    676 x 536 - 217K
    WireFrame.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 264K
    edited December 1969

TheSavage64: WoW! ok, I was just learning a little bit more about combining materials, so this should be a good work out to help me learn to use the deep texture settings. thanks for such a full description. going to give it go.

This discussion has been closed.