Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks again Dave. That's very helpful.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,508
    edited December 1969

@David - very nice examples, the psychedelic one is cool.

@Saul_Rosenberg - nice space renders.

@Dave - cave render looks quite dramatic. Carbon fibre looks good. Thanks for the tutorial.

@Pam - very nice vegetation. The folks look great, too. I like the facial expression of the chap with the staff. Really great render.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,360
    edited December 1969

David - very nice cave examples

Saul– love the space renders, very nice.

Dave – the cave render is nice, the carbon fiber looks good. Thanks for the tutorial.

Pam – another lovely render, like the expression on the faces.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Thanks all for the nice comments. I wanted to leave it so that people can have their own ideas as to what has caught the attention of my 2 figures.

I am afraid that the vegetation is all imported, some Dinoraul Oak trees and the Rowan is a 3ds model. I was surprised at how difficult it was to find a Rowan (mountain Ash) tree. The only really good ones are from Xfrog, and consequently quite pricey. Grass from the Esha pack in the store here..

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Random render drop again. I am trying to stay away for pastels David, honest I am.

@Pam, would make a beautiful stain glass window!

The kind remarks about the cave images are appreciated, been unearthing some new and exotic ways of using lights in Bryce which I am presently in the process of testing and documenting...

P53_lightsheet10.jpg
    600 x 600 - 166K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited February 2014

As we're on a somewhat 'cave' theme - thanks to Horo, I have no idea how this guy (below) crashed, let alone in a cave...hahaa.

Title: 'Man Down (Troglodyte)'

Jay

ManDown.jpg
    660 x 798 - 369K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

@Mermaid,
    Er nope, all the characters so far are male. There are some females characters in the story, but I haven't modeled those yet.
    They are 'SweetPea, (The Princess Pea)' and 'Susan, (the Black-eyed Pea)' Possibly 'Frozen Pea' might also be female... and maybe 'Ha-Pea' – I'm not sure yet. And in any case this is a children's story – with simple themes, no mention of babies – think 'Mr Ben' or 'Paddington Bear'.

@ Saul,
    Nice space stuff you have there. Interesting to see what your final freebies will comprise.

@Dave Savage, Nice simple cave scene Dave, I like the way the light is just illuminating the cave's interior.

@Dana,
    I use Wings3d for Text – it's the simplest I find, as it'll do any truetype font you have installed. So long as you can remember the name of it.

@Pam, Oh very nice druidic pair, love the blues and the soft filter effect you've used.

@GusNemo,
    Thanks.

@Jay, Ha ha, love the colour of the water in your cave scene, looks like some of the capsule's fuel – or some sort of contaminate might have got into the water... or else it could be phosphorescence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here's BlooPea and BeanPole joining SnowPea.
    I think I can hear BlooPea saying: "But it was this big, honestly!"

WhitePalaceSkullsFog27.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 273K
    edited December 1969

franontheedge....love your imagination. Btw, will you be doing an animated version of these characters? Knowing them as you do, I suspect you have different mannerisms and behaviourial aspects for each - essentially, personalities. I can see stories developing already as a series for, say, the Beeb (BBC) or Nickelodeon.

Jay

edited December 1969

Gone from underground to overground.

Woodland_scene1.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 574K
    edited December 1969

and you just know I am going to love this one. :coolsmile: Although I do like caves as well

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @franontheedge - great to see your progress. You must be a very patient person - or stubborn.

snip

Yes... well you know how some people find staring at fish in aquariums to be very relaxing? I guess with me it's moving vertices around, or it would be if it didn't make my hand ache. It would be so much easier if I could do it all with the tablet and pen - but I can't and a lot of mouse work hurts after a while.

So I guess it must be stubbornness.

Must be, or I'd never have figured out how to UV Map - so many people kept on saying that UV Mapping was the worst thing to have to do once you'd finished modelling, (they'd say it was a nightmare, and hard to figure out, and other really helpful things like that). - and I couldn't stand the thought of all that modelling going to waste without UV mapping - 'cos non UV Mapped models just look like a pile of crap.
    You can sometimes get away without UVMapping - in Bryce, sometimes with Cubic mapping - or by using glass, or chrome mats as a texture - but otherwise there are times when you just can't, and the thing has to be UV Mapped, and once a thing has UV Co-ordinates you can swap out the image textures as easy as winking.
    Like Sabrina the Teenage Witch standing in front of a mirror and snapping her fingers to change an outfit - PING!

So I learnt...

There are still moments when I go - crikey, how the heck do I map this awkward thing!???
    But if you go to bed (it's usually about 4 am at such times) - then the next day it seems much simpler.

So a combination of: 'keep battering at it, it'll eventually make sense.' and 'catch some shut-eye - it'll make more sense in the morning.' and in the end you get there.

Take my new BlooPea character, now the bobbles are not UV Mapped, but then they don't need to be because they'll use a transluscent material - the underlying body texture however, does need UV Co-ords, as do the legs, arms and face.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Whaooo... whaooo.. absolutly fantastic David!! I like the way the leaves scatter and let the light rays come thru the undergrowth. Well done sir!!

edited December 1969

Thats a nice scene David but I think the grass is a bit too diagonal and should be growing a bit more vertical...or is it me.
    Surely it can't be me, I don't even drink in the daytime.

edited December 1969

Thanks Pam, but it's not pastelley!

C-ram, it did take a couple of hours to render, and it's far less ambitious than any of your scenes, I don't know how you have the patience. I'm glad you liked it.

Aye, Stuart, you are right, I probably overdid the lean on the grass, I wanted to avoid it being straight up but as it often the case, it's easy to overdoo. Good observation. Thanks.

edited December 1969

"Gone from underground to overground"

Yeah, gorgeous...don't know what it is, but such scenes (is it the sky?) always suggest there's a sea beyond the horizon field. Weird (for me)?

Jay

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    "Gone from underground to overground"

Yeah, gorgeous...don't know what it is, but such scenes (is it the sky?) always suggest there's a sea beyond the horizon field. Weird (for me)?

Jay

Over here it is just as likely to lead to a valley and another hill or mountain. With the current weather conditions we had a very strange view the other day. Looking down into the next valley over all one could see was fog, or mist or maybe even low flying clouds, and then the next mountain over popping it's summit up above the clouds (or whatever) and we are not really very high, just under 1200ft. It as like there was a valley full of cotton wool which had swallowed up all the fields and the houses as well.

edited December 1969

@Jamahoney - a typical thing that you could never make happen if you wanted to: landing a space capsule in a cave. Great idea.

@franontheedge - those guys do look funny.

@David - beautiful, reminds me of your woodland scene first made in Bryce 5.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 867
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney: funny and well done

@David: Simply great!

I'm still stuck with Islands. The scene below is still a work in progress. I would like to have breaking waves, but have no idea how to achive them. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

three_islands.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 97K
    edited December 1969

Y’know, Pam, I once had an experience like what you describe. Went out for a walk (around 5 am – very rare, couldn’t sleep) that encloses a winding hill climbing some 150 metres or so. The sun had not yet risen, cows were munching on previous night eating's, and the odd bird-call or two rang out - all was peaceful, glorious (think you know what I mean).

Usually, the distant scenery encompassed a blue horizon of mountains, a valley-full of green fields in-between, and with bushes/trees etc., in the foreground - your typical country view. However, that morning, all the in-between stuff had simply disappeared - it was filled with fog and low-lying clouds, and a totally different scene to what I was used to had been replaced - magical, and stared at it for five to ten minutes or so. On the return walk, however, everything had changed and gone back to normal – but will never forget that morning. Slept that night, though – soundly :)

Elvis, many thanks, and love your island’s work as is. The water might benefit from a slight bumpinness – in this low sun view, but that said, you do get calm conditions also, so I wouldn’t be afraid to submit as a final work (love the trees on the middle island – kinda reminds one of the Huangshan, Yellow Mountains in China).

Jay

edited December 1969

Never used them before but wondered if anyone ever changes the Anti Alias settings in the Render Options.
    If so, do they make much difference.

Anti_Alias.jpg
    665 x 353 - 104K
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

@Jamahoney: funny and well done

@David: Simply great!

I'm still stuck with Islands. The scene below is still a work in progress. I would like to have breaking waves, but have no idea how to achive them. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

H Elvis: Don't know if this would help in your case as I have not tried it on scale you need, but for splashing water I frequently use tops of trees just poking up from underwater and usually flatten my Y coordinates somewhat and then widen out X & Z as needed to fit the scene. I assign water materials to the leaf patterns and make the trunks and branches invisible in the tree lab settings. ( I have examples of this in the current H2o challenge on one of the last current pages where I have splashes around the hose going into water and also around a 2 headed beastie swimming in the water) Maybe a variation of this trick might help your waves situation. )

EDITED: Elvis, Gave it a shot on using trees for waves around something as big as Islands. It worked to a degree - Maybe more trees and done a bit smaller would help as I stretched 2 trees to do this image. (I noticed in one area that some branches still showed slightly so I need to work on that) 2 suggestions if you try this route, It looks more realistic if looked down upon on a bit of an angle - Does not look as good if viewed straight on. Also lighting direction can be important to give the waves a more "Splashy" translucent look as if lighting not right, the waves can come out more muddy gray looking. Hope this gives you some ideas to play with...

Have a good one!

Bruce

TreeWaves.jpg
    958 x 700 - 103K
    Post edited by Goshtac on
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

@Savage 64 - Fantastic job with your carbon fibre - really came out nice. Your cave setting is very photo real and for some reason reminds me of a movie from some time back. Also, thanks for the info on your razor blade technique. Loved the way that came out.

@David & Horo - Loving your cave creations guys!!! Can see me sometime in the near future playing around in caves... ;-) Love some of the fantastic colors as well. You two have truly made Bryce into a true blend of Art and Science and I always marvel at the tricks and tips you have.

@Saul - Nicely done on your space scenes - your planets are looking good. One comment is that in one scene the spaceship's shadow seems to be appearing on the planet, but a bit of distance between ship and planet should easily fix that.

@Dana: Really nice job on your Text - Love the ancient almost druid look to the letters. If there was one thing that I think would be a nice addition to Bryce, it would be a text feature. I do my texts as object files in HEX and import from there, but bad thing is the normal Positive and Negative attribute settings don't work on imported OBJ text as it would be neat to be able to engrave into rock, etc. using the negative attribute like we do with primitives in Bryce ( Unless someone knows of a way this can be done I have not yet discovered ??? )
    Hint, Hint!!!

@Chole: Love the serenity of your scene - the colors are so vibrant ( Made me want to steal the image to use as stained glass in the church model I am working on ) :)

@Fran: I have fallen in love with your latest creations BlooPea and friends. Very fun and creative little guys and I can't wait to see more of them as your project progresses.

Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful weekend !!!

Bruce

Post edited by Goshtac on
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - this is going to be a beautiful scene. Add a terrain - Ridges, perhaps - with the same water material. There's no need to extend it far behind the isles.

@Bruce - using foliage for the beach splashes has never occured to me. What a cool idea!

@StuartB4 - I haven't found it makes any noticeable difference which AA method is used, though I had only experimented with regular.

edited December 1969

@StuartB4 - I haven’t found it makes any noticeable difference which AA method is used, though I had only experimented with regular.

Thanks Horo. I might have a play around with it.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the nice comments guys (and guyesses) :)

More great renders from everyone, we'll soon be on Part 7 of this thread.

Partly inspired by David's last tree scape, partly because I needed some open spaces after being stuck in that cave (my last render) and party because I don't have any projects at the moment... I've moved back outdoors.

LionsAtRocksALT.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 596K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Thanks for the razor information/tutorial. New information is always appreciated. Love the sky in your landscape scene.

@Jay: Talk about pin point accuracy, must be one huge hole at the top of that cave for such a landing. Water color is really nice.

@fran: Those two characters are really cute in that scene.

@David: Really nice landscape. You could solve the grass problem with a bit of rotation about the whole scene. The trees and shrubs would be leaning, but the grass would be upright. :lol:

@electro: Lovely scene, love how the light hits the rocks. The water looks like ice to me, though I do love the color.

edited December 1969

Hey Dave, that looks great!

edited December 1969

Thanks Guss and Horo, Still playing with this scene trying some different compositions and I've taken some of the yellow out of the sun.
    I might try a version that's more desert-like and a lot less green next.

LionsAtRocksALT2.jpg
    2000 x 720 - 625K
    edited December 1969

And here's the version that's more 'African' and desert-like... looking at it now, it still needs some work on the materials though.

LionsAtRocksDesert2.jpg
    1666 x 600 - 625K
    edited December 1969

@Dave - interesting variations. I like the first one best, but I'm an old fashioned chap and stick to the old things.

I started doing another cave but the result doesn't look very much like one, in fact, not at all. Nevertheless, I pursued what developed itself. I ended up with 2 terrains and 18 trees, 16 of them making up the bushes with the alpine roses (alpenrose, Rhododendron hirsutum). An HDRI is mixed with the sky and makes the clouds, it's sun is supported by the Bryce sun. Rendered swiftly in 5 minutes but anti-aliasing proved to be a hog, taking another 50 minutes. The result was unusable and I had to resort to render at double size and scale the image down to get the needles acceptable.

AlpVal.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 231K
This discussion has been closed.