Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: I could use a bottle of Creative, and several packs of Smarties and Smart Ideas. Especially right at the moment trying to get decent looking water for my fountain. Wasp/bee is a nice touch on the fruit.

@dana: Ridges on the can look great.

@Bruce: I really like your torus scene, interesting how using those two torus produced the diverging tunnel. And the city(?) has a lot going for it as well.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,360
    edited December 1969

Thanks Guss and Horo for your comments.

Horo -Thanks for your suggestion about the material for the sails. I couldn’t find anything suitable even after checking Bryce5.com.

Dave – I could do with a few bottles of your Creative Juice and my grandson wants the Smarties. Awesome work as usual.

Dana365 – nice work on the Cracker Ringer and Junky

Goshtac – wow cool idea with the tori, the render is excellent. I also like the city layout.

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 thanks, it reminds me of the Whacky Packages from the 80's, where they maid weird puns on everyday products labels. I dont know if it will help but I saw a jean weave material on ShareCG under textures, with Bryce check box marked it is fairly easy to find, I am guessing it might look good as canvas.

@GussNemo thanks, the allum can , and allum can open and empty is on ShareCG under models, if you want to kick the can around

@Goshtac I see what your saying about inside shapes , it gives me a couple of ideas as well, saw your site the other day , man there is some really cool scenes , I like the camera , and framing you do on those scenes. thinking oh the Area51 looking ones particular.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,508
    edited December 1969

@Dave - Smarties look great. Smart ideas is what some of us could use.

@dana365 - great products, where's the shadow? Rippled can looks very good.

@David - backlit and front lit tree look quite natural.

@Bruce - looking great. The torus idea is good and could well be used for the inside of a fortress or a tunnel cut into the rock of a mountain. I never thought of using a torus for such a project.

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Good afternoon folks;

Just a quick WIP item that I intend to include in another Torus project I am working on ( You guys really gave me the bug of playing with the inside of primitives )

This render is of a 6 volt lantern that most of us have owned at one time or another. It was built with primitives in Bryce and includes a built in spotlight and also has the head parented to the rest of the lantern so the head can tilt up and down. I did run into a few issues making this including a major crash when I installed a light the first time ( Of course I had not remembered to save so I had to start from scratch )

A few issues I still have to address is the mapping of the battery as I was not really happy with it. I also ran into a strange issue with the spotlight I installed into the lantern head. It seems that no matter which way I point the spotlight when I originally set it up, it primarily wants to light the ground but not items directly in front of it?? Anyone have any ideas on what may cause this?

Hopefully when I get the bugs out of this lantern model, I will post it as a freebie.

Thanks and have a great day - weather here is horrible right now with blowing snow and it is a bit chilly out there..

Bruce

Lantern_1.jpg
    806 x 566 - 137K
    edited December 1969

@Bruce - that lamp looks quite real. Great idea. From what I see, I suspect that the opening angle of the spot is too wide. 2 things to try: the spot light primitive has the sizes X=Y=Z. Rescale it to have X=Z half of Y or even less. That will narrow the beam. The second thing (or additionally) would be to use Edge Softness (though it may already have some).

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

@ Horo well the shadows are back , but I have to tell you, its been a battle, everything I do comes off as a photo taken with on camera flash, I have tryed more lights, I have repositioned the light source, every time the products are well lite, the table has a wicked hot spot, and the detail is washed out, . if I drop the light down I get a really nice light on the table but the labels are dark . I will keep working it, I know the solution is just around the corner.

crack_ringer_eightballjunky_on_table.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 630K
  • NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

Here I have changed the material for the buildings, I can't seem to get it so the lights don't show up on the roof, any ideas on how to make this work? I used the sky "morning glow", thanks for any tips :-)

CityBlockB1.png
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    edited December 1969

@dana365 - perhaps the light source is too near. At the moment, it is between the two products. Move it back and up. You might have to increase Diffuse for the light. Note that Sun/Moon Shadows in the Sky Lab is a global control. If it is not at 100, all shadows from lights and IBL are weaker. Additionally, the render time increases because the objects get partly transparent to light.

@nreed - check Skydome colour in the Sky Lab. This is a radial light at the zenith that does not cast shadows. For your project, set it to black.

edited December 1969

@Bruce: Love the 6V lantern, though like Horo, the beam is a bit off. Also like the writing on the base of the lantern.

@nreed: That keeps getting better and better. Sorry, I can't help with the lights, though.

I am now much balder than I was several days ago. After much muttering, in a foreign language known to many, I once again achieved thin shafts of terrains. In the image below used the colors as markers just to watch the results. Now to my roadblock. Every time I apply water material I get something that resembles an ice sheet rather than water. I've tried several different materials but rejected each for one reason or another. I'm open to suggestions, so much so I've started working on other aspects of the scene I've in mind.

Falling_Water_WIP_11.png
    1080 x 810 - 465K
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - water is transparent. The reflective property comes from the refraction. Set transparency between 99 and 100, reflection to 0 and refraction to 133. If it looks icy, reduce refraction towards 100. This isn't water anymore but dims the reflections down. Experiment with specularity. I don't think you'll need bump, the water-curtain has true geometry.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Guss...don't know what other mats you've tried - if all water-based, but how would applying atmospheric mats, say, cloud surface, cloud volume (with tranparencey, specularity...etc.,) to the model?

Jay

edited December 1969

Dana365-thanks for mentioning the jean weave for canvas, it reminded me of a denim fabric and a silk fabric I have, never thought about them. I’ll give those a try.

Gostac-the lamp looks nice, looking forward to the final render.

Nreed- I like where you are going with this. Can I ask some specifics – what doc setup are you using and the co-ordinates for the camera setting. Thanks in advance

Guss – I can relate to finding suitable water material, it took me almost 2 weeks to decide which I would use for only 3 drops for the challenge render.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Another portrait style image I did, post worked of course.

deep_in_thought_3.jpg
    675 x 900 - 416K
    edited December 1969

@ Mermaid, not sure what setting you want but everything is set at default, other than me moving the camera and changing the sky.

camera.jpg
    592 x 381 - 79K
    edited December 1969

Very nicely made portrait, Pam.

edited January 2014

nreed said:
    @ Mermaid, not sure what setting you want but everything is set at default, other than me moving the camera and changing the sky.

Thanks Nreed for the camera screenshot. Even after using Bryce religiously for over a year and 1/2 now, I'm still having problems setting up nice landscapes. :down:

I like the setup of your cityscape scene especially the camera angle.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

Wow Chohole the portrait is beautiful

edited January 2014

@Horo: Thank you for that information, it just might help where all else has failed.

@Pam: A gorgeous portrait image.

@mermaid: I think I took two weeks just getting the geometry of the falling water using the TE. Wasn't real happy how it turned out so I started over and the image above is the current result. I don't know how many water materials I've tried, but either they're to dark or add a pattern that doesn't fit. I'm going to try Horo's suggestions and see what comes about.

EDIT:

I took Horo's suggestions and ran with them, getting the results in the image below. I did add a material, adjusted it a bit, added bump, upped the specularity, and am rather pleased with the results. Now I just have to come up with a scene.

EDIT 2:

The second image is of the scene I'm trying to put together, it's still a WIP, in a big way. I am planning to add foliage on both sides of the gate behind the benches, and hedges, and possibly a couple of trees, further back. Since creating landscapes is still new to me I'd like feedback on what I have so far and about adding the foliage I've mentioned. I've an idea for the sky but I think that will be the last to add.

Garden_Area_4.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Fountain_Assembly_20.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - looks improved. The gate looks great. There's not much room for foliage. Ivy rising on the wall would be a possibility. Instead of a mountain in the distance you could place a down (made with a terrain). And perhaps changing the default sky.

Since I have won the last challenge to my surprise, I've invested it into Le Faubourg. And I also invested a day to make it fit for a night shot in Bryce. Two different camera positions. I rendered the shots individually at 3430 x 1200 px, which took less than 2 hours. Here, i downsized and combined them.

Faubourg.jpg
    900 x 647 - 73K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo, that fountain looks a lot more like water and not like ice, very nice. Although I do wonder if the very bottom level would benefit from a little additional turbulence a little farther out where the falling water is hitting it? But perhaps not.

@Horo, nice night scenes!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Top render looks very believable now, Guss, but why hide those wonderful splash-effects in the second image - raise the camera, rasie the camera. Is it just me, or does anyone else hear splashing? ;)

Jay

edited December 1969

More cityscape.....Here i have added a new terrain to the mix for the roof tops of the buildings. I also tweaked the mats for the buildings as well. I think I will stop on those for now and try and get a better Urban area, the mats are not right on those small buildings yet and they need to be cleaned up.

CityBlockB2.png
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Hi folks;

Back at it after several days of revising my lantern spotlight - Ran into a number of issues with my computer and some software so had to spend good part of the day fixing that.

I did a complete revision of the lantern including the battery which I tried to scale as close to the real thing as possible. Went a little goofy with some details as I even added the wire normally seen on such lanterns as well as putting a filament into the light. Speaking of which, I have not actually put a light into this version yet, so this is a project to play with later tonight.

I do have the lantern head parented to the body so in theory the head could be tilted up and down, but I am concerned this might be an issue for some people as I would like it to go only up and down and not side to side, but I don't know if anyway to do this as you can in some software like DAZ Studio or if I should just group the head and lantern as is so anyone using it doesn't get it turning off to the side by mistake.. Any thoughts on this from the group here and our Bryce Experts?

Thanks for looking.

Bruce

Lantern_Preview.jpg
    1287 x 728 - 154K
    edited December 1969

@Horo/Sean/Jay: Thanks for the comments. What's in the second image is just thrown together as "how would this look" sort of thing. It really doesn't look right to me, and the mortar isn't set yet so things can change.

@nreed: Very impressive image.

edited December 1969

Hi Guys;

Chohole: Loving the portrait - Has that late 1800s early 1900s Tintype look and feel to it. Very beautiful job.

Guss: Fountain and the scene really looking great Guss - I agree with Horo that perhaps a nice town scene in the background would
    be appropriate rather than a terrain mountain range as we all seem to use just a bit too often in our art.

Horo: Love the city night scene - really came out great. And you said it took only 2 hours to render - wow.

NReed: Cityscape is really coming along nicely - I can tell this has turned into a major labor of love as you have quite a bit going on
    there and to think it is all done with terrains. Well done.

Dana: Last but not least - Really loved your product layout - Quite creative and humorous ( I always really enjoy renders with some
    fun and humor in them. Also your play on product names ( The box is especially funny as if I am correct, it is a play on a
    corporation my wife used to work for, so I will have to show her this picture as I know she will get a laugh out of it )

Bruce

edited December 1969

Back Again

Let There Be Light

Finally got my spotlight issues worked out and decided at least for now to get away from the parenting and just group the lantern head, body and battery and the spotlight.

Did run into an unexpected issue tho - My battery seems to bright. Even in a really dark scene it almost appears to glow in the dark and bad problem there is I had already done a Boolean mesh combining the battery with the handle and parts of the lantern. (May have to try and find away around this by just redoing the casing of the battery and see if I can fix it that way rather than start from scratch again.

Here is static model with spotlight inside.

Have a great week folks ( We are getting nailed with sub-zero weather again for the next two days with dangerous wind chill, so grandma Mel gets to babysit kids again as school canceled for a few days)

Bruce

Lantern_Preview_2J.jpg
    1139 x 741 - 276K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Darn, forgot to compliment your two images.

@Bruce: Nice looking 6V lantern. Something with Ambiance is going to glow. Perhaps lowering the setting or removing the setting will help. And thanks for the comments about the fountain.

edited January 2014

@Bruce - lantern looks even better. Moving the head up and down would be nice. The origin would have to be moved to match the joint. However, I don't know how to limit rotation in one direction. Battery too bright - have you used some ambiance on it? This can make object appear overly bright. The spot is spot-on, the light looks very good.

@GussNemo - thank you.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Guss – the fountain scene is coming along nicely. I think you are posting in the wrong thread. It will be a nice entry for the challenge.

Horo – nice night scenes.

Nreed- really like the cityspace layout

Goshtac – the spotlights are so cool.

David – did you remove this video Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - rendering leaves on trees - by David Brinnen

I thought I’ll have a go at it today, but it’s no longer available.

This discussion has been closed.