Batch Render for DS4 and RIB - [commercial]

Comments

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

Hi DraagonStorm,

I can confirm that 3delight standalone uses 4 cores now - the free version that is.
    I have been trying to render an image sequence (an animation) using the 3delight standalone all day today with no luck. For whatever reason, when I render the image sequence out to a RIB file in daz studio, and then try and render the RIB file in 3delight, it will only render the first frame. There is a switch for 3delight, I think something like "renderdl -id -frame 0 216" (for an animation with 217 frames) but for whatever reason, it will only render one frame in 3delight.

I apologize if this has already been answered in this thread, but I didn't really follow the logic of the questions and answers here, but - does your batch script in any way assist in batch rendering an animation or image sequence at all? I know you said to set up your scene x, scene x2, or scene x, scene y, scene z, etc, but for me the animation is all one scene, just different actions and camera angles etc depending on the frame we are at in the scene. I guess because for whatever reason the process of exporting a image sequence to RIB and then rendering in 3delight standalone is not working for me at the moment, that a batch file or script to automate this process would be useful..

Thanks.

No this script does not address rendering animation or image series. (That's kinda batch rendering within itself)

I saw the same issue/bug in 3Delight also. I could not get it to render out animations. I tried using the -frame command also, and it didn't work. I thought about putting something in the script for that, but thought better of it --- Each frame would have to create a collected folder with the .rib file and the collected materials... You would need an awful lot of disk space!!!

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the info DraagonStorm :) Now at least I know it was not just me being unable to follow the manual of 3delight. Shame, but what can you do? I have been getting render artifacts in daz studio and so I had to switch shadow type to Raytraced, which made my render times for animation impractical. Apparently there is a bug or issue with 3delight that daz studio uses, so i was hoping I might be able to use the 3delight standalone to see if that gives me artifact-free renders.. but no joy :(

• NerfyNerfy Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

Dangit, I just bought this to help build my own script which needs to do something similar but different, but just found out that it's 'encrypted'. Does that mean that the script source is purposefully unavailable? I guess there's a chance I can at least use this to do a large chunk of the work.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,573
    edited December 1969

Yes, encrypted files are made to be unreadable. You can still, however, load and run them from another script via a DzScript object.

edited December 1969

Thanks, that was one of my two ideas, though thankfully I've managed to make a java program which modifies the rib files in a way which does 90% of the tasks that I wanted, so all is well, and this tool should prove very helpful in combination with that. :D

edited December 1969

The script works well, but I'm running into a problem where rib files are often created before daz has finished fitting clothes after loading a scene, possibly victoria 4 items on genesis 2 or something. Is there any possibility of having a field added to sleep n seconds after loading a file? It seems to be an intermittent problem with the same models and clothes, so I think that just giving it a few seconds breathing room might fix it.

edited December 1969

I'm not sure if you could make it work via signals and slots - instead of going straight on to export the RIB, write a function that listens for suitable signals and triggers the create RIB file action only once it's received them.

edited December 1969

I'm not sure if I have access to anything like that while relying on the author's encrypted script, but essentially any solution would be awesome (I was just trying to think of the quickest and nastiest solution that they could hopefully implement quickly and update the script with :P).

edited December 1969

Sorry, I was forgetting that you were having to deal with the black-box script. Still, something like that might be possible. have a look in the SDK forum - there have been several discussions, with respect to Reality and it think to Look at My hair, about which signals to use - the methods would be different in script, but the basic information may help (the DS3 script documents discuss the use of signals and slots).

edited December 1969

Possible for me or possible for the author? I'm keen to try anything at this point, but aren't at a very advanced level with the mechanics of daz.

edited December 1969

A hazy outline, you'd declare a new object type (I've always found it tricky to make a signal/slot link with a free-floating function). There'd be a function that loaded the script into a member of the object, so it was always available, and then started iterating through the objects. then, if you found a suitable signal, you'd have a function that launched the script and you'd link it to the signal that told you it was safe to render. That should, subject to finding a suitable signal, work without needing to open the batch renderer's black box.

edited December 1969

I think I understand, though have no idea how to do anything like that yet. I'll look into the documentation and references you mentioned in a few days when I've finished another tool for post-processing, and will see if I can make that work. Thanks. It's about 600 files I have to render, which take a few minutes to open each, so at this point batch rendering is a must when I consider the math. Worst case scenario is I'll just have to re-render the flawed scenes manually, it might be less than 10%.

edited December 1969

Hrm, so understanding how to work signals and slots into my scene wasn't something that I could figure out, especially in combination with the encrypted batch renderer script.

But I've tracked the problem to smoothing, and the rib being rendered before smoothing has been applied, which seems like a bug in either the daz renderer or script conditionals to me. Somebody else seems to have run into a similar problem, and mostly got around it with my n seconds sleeping idea (in the second post) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16415/

A further post seemed to indicate that forcing the viewport manager to repaint before exporting to rib worked 100% of the time, though I don't think that I can work that into the encrypted script in any way.

Turning on Interactive Update for all smoothed items seems to be a work around, though it takes some time to do, and then makes the items in the scene unmovable in real time which removes the ability to make quick corrections. All up, the amount of manual preprocessing needed that way exceeds the point where it's faster to just manually render during the time that I'd be going through changing properties, saving, changing the properties back if I wanted to make corrections, etc, if I continued to use the batch render.

Right now I'm thinking the fastest approach would be to write my own batch renderer which forced the viewport manager to repaint.

• peter.cordespeter.cordes Posts: 5
    edited December 2014

Hi,

I also bought the batch-render script for Daz3D but in my opinion it's useless.

Let me explain:
    I set up my scene with all things it needs: cameras, lights, render settings including resolution, render type (image series), render range, render file pathand render base (file name), file type PNG.
    This I do for a couple of scenes, ecery scene saved wirth all those render settings AND in the DAZ Preference Settings Tab Scene, Render Settings "Record when saving a scene file" set.

Then I start the batch render window (from content library / batch render DS_RIB), can chose the scene-files and start the batch-render using the "render"-button.

Now it comes:
    The batch-render thing asks for the names of the png-files it should create in rendering.
    The batch-render thing does NOT read the field "series base" containing the name for the PNG-files from the scene file.

So ... I have stay awake the whole night because the batch-render thing asks for the name directly when starting a new scene-render from the list.

The DAZ Support could not help me with this issue.

This issue appears in Daz3D Pro 4.6 and in 4.7

Sorry, but IMHO this kind of batch-rendering is useless.

Is there any solution ?

Greets
    Peter

Post edited by peter.cordes on
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I also bought the batch-render script for Daz3D but in my opinion it's useless.

Let me explain:
    I set up my scene with all things it needs: cameras, lights, render settings including resolution, render type (image series), render range, render file pathand render base (file name), file type PNG.
    This I do for a couple of scenes, ecery scene saved wirth all those render settings AND in the DAZ Preference Settings Tab Scene, Render Settings "Record when saving a scene file" set.

Then I start the batch render window (from content library / batch render DS_RIB), can chose the scene-files and start the batch-render using the "render"-button.

Now it comes:
    The batch-render thing asks for the names of the png-files it should create in rendering.
    The batch-render thing does NOT read the field "series base" containing the name for the PNG-files from the scene file.

So ... I have stay awake the whole night because the batch-render thing asks for the name directly when starting a new scene-render from the list.

The DAZ Support could not help me with this issue.

This issue appears in Daz3D Pro 4.6 and in 4.7

Sorry, but IMHO this kind of batch-rendering is useless.

Is there any solution ?

Greets
    Peter

As noted before. The Batch Render does not do Animation or image series. It was written to do single frame renders.

edited December 1969

Hi,

As noted before. The Batch Render does not do Animation or image series. It was written to do single frame renders.

Oh ... pitty that fact isn't documented in the product description in the DAZ store.

I never would have bought a batch-renderer that isn't able to batch-render animations.

Isn't it possible to enhance the batch-renderer to also render animations with the build-in DS-renderer ?

Thanks
    Peter

edited December 1969

Hi,

Oh ... pitty that fact isn't documented in the product description in the DAZ store.

I never would have bought a batch-renderer that isn't able to batch-render animations.

Isn't it possible to enhance the batch-renderer to also render animations with the build-in DS-renderer ?

Thanks
    Peter

If you bought this in the last 30 days you can get a refund from DAZ.

edited December 2014

Hi,

Thanks
    Peter

If you bought this in the last 30 days you can get a refund from DAZ.

Oh, that's okay.

But IMO it would be much better you could enhance the batch-renderer so it also works for animations. :-)

Thanks
    Peter

Post edited by peter.cordes on
  • kamiomikamiomi Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

DraagonStorm, if you're able to (or if it's allowed, I don't know how the site works for creators) please update your product description to make it clear that it doesn't work for animation files.

I bought this because the description made it sound perfect for my needs - being able to select a bunch of Daz files and render them one after the other. Nowhere in there, or the documentation, does it say it does not do that if those files are to be rendered as image series.

I don't check the forum before I buy a product to see if it works as stated, and I doubt a lot of other people do. So, to save other people the frustration of trying to get it to work, coming here for a solution, finding that there is categorically not one, and having to request a return from Daz... it would be very good of you to update your product's description.

If you ever figure out a product to batch render animations, that would be amazing and I for one would definitely grab it. :)

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

DraagonStorm,

I bought this product on the day it was released and I've been using it several times a week since then. I'm about to take the plunge into the world of Iray so can I ask you if this product will work with the Iray renderer?

Cheers,

Alex.

edited December 1969

DraagonStorm,

I bought this product on the day it was released and I've been using it several times a week since then. I'm about to take the plunge into the world of Iray so can I ask you if this product will work with the Iray renderer?

Cheers,

Alex.

Just did a quick test.. 2 iray scenes and 1 3delight scene... Batch Render did fine and loaded/rendered the scenes fine with the saved settings of the scenes.

edited December 1969

DraagonStorm,

Cheers,

Alex.

Just did a quick test.. 2 iray scenes and 1 3delight scene... Batch Render did fine and loaded/rendered the scenes fine with the saved settings of the scenes.

DraagonStorm,

This is the best news I've had since the original announcement.

Many thanks,

Alex.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,141
    edited December 1969

so work with 4.8 and iray? trying to remember if i have this or not. does it work with dim or does it have to be installed manually?

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015

DraagonStorm,

Cheers,

Alex.

Thanks, that's a relief.

Wouldn't know what to do without this script :D

Post edited by Barubary on
    edited December 1969

so work with 4.8 and iray? trying to remember if i have this or not. does it work with dim or does it have to be installed manually?

It installs with dim.

• dave-2771045dave-2771045 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

How do you get to the very first screen shown (run the batch file)?

edited December 1969

dave said:
    How do you get to the very first screen shown (run the batch file)?

Within your DAZ Studio content directory, you will find it in Scripts / Utilities / Batchrenderer DS RIB. Click on the preset and a window will pop up. This is reasonably intuitive.

Cheers,

Alex.

• DrHemulenDrHemulen Posts: 81
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info,. maybe they should update the store info. I would have passed on this if I hadn't found this thread:)

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

Looking for an iRay batch rendering tool and apparently this does the job. Can you please provide the step by step workflow involved? I'm quite happy to pay the $20 but not without some idea of the work involved. For instance, how does image naming work? Currently DAZ forgets the Image Name specified when saving a scene. Also, geografts tend to revert their collision targets to the host figure if no other is provided - how is this handled? Thanks!

• Here is a link to the user's guide http://www.draagonstorm.com/tempdl/BatchRenderforDSRIB.pdf

The name of the image would be the name of the saved scene with the filetype of what you selected. For example if a scene file was named MyScene01.duf and you selected .jpg for the render to type. the rendered image would be named MyScene01.jpg.

As for any issues that involve loading a scene from DAZ Studio by hand.. Those would also be an issue with Batch Render.