Realistic Renders.....NOT!! 13: A new room to fill!

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,339
    edited December 1969

Have not rendered in Poser quite a long time ago, so here I made one, just to not forget its interface...

JoJo04pic01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 448K
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...I was in a similar boat when I was still working with Studio 4 in 32 bit. Had to keep the render size down, the scene fairly simple, and avoid UE and ray tracing o else it was crash city.

Yeah, it must get really frustrating when you see all these amazing renders and you just can't match them, and then every time you try to you keep getting let down by your hardware. I remember P9 was always letting me down on my old system, little did I know at the time that it was my meagre 2gb of RAM, AVG and a single core processor that were being crippled even when I so much as switched it on.

If you know that the work you're doing, whatever it may be, is going to be memory intensive, you have to have hardware specs that are going to be capable of handling it. I used to look at the minimum spec and think that would do, boy did I get proved wrong!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Have not rendered in Poser quite a long time ago, so here I made one, just to not forget its interface...

Really nice!

Most of my time in Poser was spent trying to match the EHSS and never quite getting there. DSON was the final straw, I knew then that Poser would never match DS, so I gave in and went back, and it was the best move I made.

CHEERS!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,955
    edited December 1969

...still use Poser for cloth dynamics and rigging.

edited December 1969

Rigging was something I never tried, but I did have tiny dabble with dynamics.

CHEERS!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,339
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Rogerbee. I try to use different tools in hope to find some new features, I have not explored yet.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I've never been able to get the results I wanted with Poser's interface, especially when it comes to lighting. It seems very counter-intuitive compared to other programs, such as Daz Studio or 3DS Max. That said, I might have another try at using Poser to see what results I can get with my newly acquired skills to see if it's whether just the learning curve or the actual program.

In the meantime, I've been playing with Luxus again.

Photo_Opportunity.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1000K
  • cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

I have never worked with outher lights than the ds studio lights and I prefer the use of minimum one linear point light with ray traced shadow if not more + 5 distant lights for ambiente without any shadow. Most times I use 2 linear point lights. Here is two images I have made yesterday

dx_-_ultimate_bum_-_Kopie.jpg
    1050 x 1675 - 230K
    dx_-_ultimate_girl_-_Kopie.jpg
    1550 x 1575 - 328K
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Thanks, Rogerbee. I try to use different tools in hope to find some new features, I have not explored yet.

I'm sure there's plenty I have yet to discover too!

CHEERS!

edited December 2013

I've never been able to get the results I wanted with Poser's interface, especially when it comes to lighting. It seems very counter-intuitive compared to other programs, such as Daz Studio or 3DS Max. That said, I might have another try at using Poser to see what results I can get with my newly acquired skills to see if it's whether just the learning curve or the actual program.

...yeah, Poser's lighting setup is a bit awkward for me as well. The standard Daz lights seem so staightforward to me especially having worked with theatical lighting. The new Advanced Ambient and Spotlights are an incredible improvement and the spotlights still have the "view though" feature.

As I mentioned, I rarely use UE much anymore even though I have a system that can handle it, and even swap out the UE component in many lighting sets with an AAL.(save for Cloud9 which uses what are called "Uber Helpers", which are not simply distant or spotlights).

Funny thing I have Reality 2.5 and the latest LuxRender and have yet to use it on a scene. Something about having to tweak a lot of textures and the long render times that keeps me from working with it. My scenes have become very involved (as well as large) lately and I fear would take a day or more to render.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 2013

Lux in the man pic. 3Dlight BG super imposed with character in lux

5df4e2e32932d0ce15c8232c15351e41-d6xzc93.png
    1600 x 851 - 2M
    2d05b0686f70512e408647fcf4f978e4-d6xzc8m.png
    1600 x 851 - 3M
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

If you want to know how to light and render scenes in Poser then Caisson's tutorial is a recommended read:

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?70674-Lighting-amp-Rendering-in-Poser-Part-One

Though it's titled part one, both parts of the tutorial are downloadable from the above link.

If you have DSON and D3D's utility for importing DUF's you can actually bring some surprising things into Poser, I imported the UE light and it seemed to work like it was supposed to. There's a possibility that you could also import AoA's AAL as well, though I don't know if it would work as expected.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...yeah, Poser's lighting setup is a bit awkward for me as well. The standard Daz lights seem so staightforward to me especially having worked with theatical lighting. The new Advanced Ambient and Spotlights are an incredible improvement and the spotlights still have the "view though" feature.

As I mentioned, I rarely use UE much anymore even though I have a system that can handle it, and even swap out the UE component in many lighting sets with an AAL.(save for Cloud9 which uses what are called "Uber Helpers", which are not simply distant or spotlights).

Funny thing I have Reality 2.5 and the latest LuxRender and have yet to use it on a scene. Something about having to tweak a lot of textures and the long render times that keeps me from working with it. My scenes have become very involved (as well as large) lately and I fear would take a day or more to render.

I load UE based light sets and replace the UE with the AAL.

I have Luxus, but, long render times have put me off using it.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:
    I have never worked with outher lights than the ds studio lights and I prefer the use of minimum one linear point light with ray traced shadow if not more + 5 distant lights for ambiente without any shadow. Most times I use 2 linear point lights. Here is two images I have made yesterday

Great pair of..... renders!

Looks like less is more is working really well for you.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Lux in the man pic. 3Dlight BG super imposed with character in lux

Great stuff as always!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Been playing around in Poser. Been a while since I did an actual render using it. While I still use Poser for doing dynamics (because, sorry to say Poser Dynamics are still far superior to the current DS 'solution'), I generally use DS for composing a scene and rendering it. Even when using Poser's dynamic cloth, I usually use a scene originally exported from Daz Studio because it's easier to arrange the scene and has much nicer lighting and camera controls.

Still, I thought I'd share something I put together using Poser today. Mostly experimenting with the lighting to get it looking somewhat decent. Still needs a lot of tweaking, but it's a fair effort for a program I've not used properly in 2 years.

Poser_Child.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 576K
    edited December 1969

After a somewhat frustrating morning spent trying to get the old Gen 4 Eye Maps to work in DS (I have a feeling they were designed to work in Poser and not properly set up for DS use.), I gave up and made DUF material presets for Shaw instead. Much more rewarding and he looks great with the SSS shader.

Then I gave Ryuu and Axel the SSS shader too, hopefully MaleM3dia will use it on any future characters. Also, Project EYEris eyes looked a little odd to me so I'm hoping that the makers of Actual Eyes and Look At Me Eyes have something new in the works. G2 needs some nice eyes! Much as I like the V6 Reinterjection preset, I want options....

CHEERS!

M6_Shaw_SSS_01.jpg
    576 x 745 - 254K
    M6_Ryuu_SSS_01.jpg
    576 x 745 - 179K
    M6_Axel_SSS_01.jpg
    576 x 745 - 197K
    edited December 1969

Been playing around in Poser. Been a while since I did an actual render using it. While I still use Poser for doing dynamics (because, sorry to say Poser Dynamics are still far superior to the current DS 'solution'), I generally use DS for composing a scene and rendering it. Even when using Poser's dynamic cloth, I usually use a scene originally exported from Daz Studio because it's easier to arrange the scene and has much nicer lighting and camera controls.

Still, I thought I'd share something I put together using Poser today. Mostly experimenting with the lighting to get it looking somewhat decent. Still needs a lot of tweaking, but it's a fair effort for a program I've not used properly in 2 years.

Yeah, it sort of feels like there's something missing. The girl has nothing to show that her feet are planted on the floor, perhaps some sheen on the floor or a reflection on it might help. RDNA's IDL Studio was always the best when it came to indirect lighting in Poser.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Yeah, it sort of feels like there's something missing. The girl has nothing to show that her feet are planted on the floor, perhaps some sheen on the floor or a reflection on it might help. RDNA's IDL Studio was always the best when it came to indirect lighting in Poser.
    Doesn't help that Poser's in-built occlusion doesn't seem very noticeable compared to UberEnvironment or similar lighting solutions in Daz Studio. Mostly I was testing to see how my current level of skill with DS translates in the Poser environment, which is apparently not very well at all.

Bear in mind though, this is Poser Pro 2010, so it's a bit old and doesn't support all the latest fancy stuff like weight maps, so I can't use Genesis figures nor do I have access to the nicer rendering options. Considering I've progressed far more in the last 2 years of using DS than I did in 4 years of using Poser though, I'd say I'm more comfortable with the DS workflow.

edited December 2013

...now that the voting for the RRRR challenge is completed and winners announced I can post this here.

Created and Rendered in Daz Studio/3Delight using a lot of shader adjustment, reflectivity and a bit of kitbashing. When pushed, 3Delight can produce some fine results.

...BTW, this one took first place.

this_is_the_place_pw_.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 1M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

...this was the second submission (that barely made it with minutes to spare).

pub_that_time_forgot_pw.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...now that the voting for the RRRR challenge is completed and winners announced I can post this here.

Created and Rendered in Daz Studio/3Delight using a lot of shader adjustment, reflectivity and a bit of kitbashing. When pushed, 3Delight can produce some fine results.

pretty cool looking as all your stuff is, and congrats on first.

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

I can't say this one was out of boredom, but i had to clear idea of where i wanted to go with this picture either lol.

cassie_Direbunny_jpg.jpg
    1414 x 2000 - 858K
    edited December 1969

Doesn't help that Poser's in-built occlusion doesn't seem very noticeable compared to UberEnvironment or similar lighting solutions in Daz Studio. Mostly I was testing to see how my current level of skill with DS translates in the Poser environment, which is apparently not very well at all.

Bear in mind though, this is Poser Pro 2010, so it's a bit old and doesn't support all the latest fancy stuff like weight maps, so I can't use Genesis figures nor do I have access to the nicer rendering options. Considering I've progressed far more in the last 2 years of using DS than I did in 4 years of using Poser though, I'd say I'm more comfortable with the DS workflow.

Oh, of course, 2010! Silly me, I thought that came after P9, but that was PP2012 which was what I had. I hear you about DS, I progressed more in mere weeks than I had in years of Poser. The main reason I ditched DS was that I thought it was a bit limiting, little did I realise that I hadn't played around with any lights or shaders. Now I have, I think it's streets ahead of Poser in terns of what it can do. Most of the 'innovations' in shaders and lighting in Poser were in fact them playing catch up to what Daz were doing. If Daz ever shut the door to Smith Micro then Smith Micro will flounder unless they develop better figures.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Congratulations!

Looks like the beat proved its worth.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...this was the second submission (that barely made it with minutes to spare).

This one is great too, well done!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I can't say this one was out of boredom, but i had to clear idea of where i wanted to go with this picture either lol.

I think she's wishing she could go home!

CHEERS!

• VanguardVanguard Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

I bought the Reality plugin a long time ago, before I bought Luxus, but I never really "got" it. I remember trying it and not understanding it so I tried Luxus and for whatever reason it must have been more intuitive because I used it exclusively. Then last week I tried Reality for the heck of it and now prefer it. It is the material setup in Reality that makes the difference for me. I miss some of the Luxus options, like hybrid render, but hopefully Reality 3.0 will see the light of day eventually :P

So here is my first Reality render. A more full size version is in the Gallery

Provence render in the Gallery

reality_scene_Provencea-lo.jpg
    333 x 500 - 217K
    edited December 1969

Now that is impressive,

For we mere mortals, people doing renders that impressive when it's their 'first time' can get depressing, LOL!

I guess you've either got it or you haven't, and you've certainly got it!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I noticed the lips weren't quite looking right on my female renders, so I checked the V6HD settings and decided to try them on the Elite Ariana texture. They work well too....

CHEERS!

V6_Ariana_SSS_01.jpg
    576 x 745 - 233K
This discussion has been closed.