Realistic Renders.....NOT!! 13: A new room to fill!

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,339
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    It depends on the make, on my AMD, when I right click when in desktop I can bring up Catalyst Control Centre where I can adjust settings there. Your card should come with some program or other where you can control the settings. The gamma adjustment is done in colour settings...

Thanks, I have found it, but when I have changed Gamma to 2.2 on the graphic card, the screen was too bright for me,
    so I have switched Gamma back to the defaults.
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Was that video gamma? My screen is fine.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

In Nvidia Control Panel it is called "Desktop Colour Settings"
    Cheers!

edited December 1969

I am back to experiments with Unity 5 and have succeded with video capture.
    Below is the example gif animation. Sorry for the small image size,
    but the file size grows very fast with increased resolution.

seq03v04.gif
    320 x 180 - 879K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

That's hella cool!

Artini said:
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited March 2015

Just so things don't get too realistic in here:

Here's a couple stills from a 'toon style render I've been doing in Carrara.

Built rigged and created morphs for the cat. Built the set, books, door and umbrellas.

Furniture was stuff from DAZ or stock items that came with Carrara's Native content, such as the coat rack or window.

The rough video (sorry, no audio):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd6XKMB5Cv8

Picture_4.png
    711 x 475 - 413K
    Picture_3.png
    717 x 474 - 225K
    Picture_2.png
    713 x 478 - 445K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, RAMWolff. There are a lot of nice things, one can do in Unity 5 and particle effects are one of my favorites.
    This particular animation was made with Hayate 3 package.

edited December 1969

Nicely done, evilproducer.
    Does the toon style render in Carrara require many tweaks,
    or it just works 'right out of the box' ?

edited December 1969

Artini said:

Very neat effect.

edited December 1969

Artini said:
    In Nvidia Control Panel it is called "Desktop Colour Settings"
    Cheers!

It's not the desktop colour you want, it's video colour.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Artini said:

That does look really good!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Just so things don't get too realistic in here:

Here's a couple stills from a 'toon style render I've been doing in Carrara.

Built rigged and created morphs for the cat. Built the set, books, door and umbrellas.

Furniture was stuff from DAZ or stock items that came with Carrara's Native content, such as the coat rack or window.

The rough video (sorry, no audio):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd6XKMB5Cv8

Looks great!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Nicely done, evilproducer.
    Does the toon style render in Carrara require many tweaks,
    or it just works 'right out of the box' ?

There are a couple ways to get a 'toon effect, including plugins for the shader room. In my case, there's a 'toon scene filter that comes with Carrara. It applies a 'toon look as a post render filter, whereas the shader versions will be by object/figure and done during the render process as it is a lighting model.

The biggest disadvantage to the 'toon filter I used was the lack of anti-aliasing, which you can see on the fine lines in the animation. The advantage was that I didn't have to go through every object in the scene and every shader to get a cell shaded look. The filter is also fairly easy to set up.

Here's a quick and dirty screen cap at the filter's default settings. This scene is just an example, as I already have it open. Flat colors will give a nicer 'toon look. If you're animating with it, then I would recommend staying away from bumps.

You can also see that it didn't respect the clouds in the scene I'm working on. Also keep in mind that the scene I am working is far from finished. Still lots to do with lighting and shading.

Chariot.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 465K
    Picture_5.png
    1015 x 891 - 325K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the explanation, evilproducer, looks good.

• staigermanstaigerman Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    ... Then I have exported the terrain as .obj and imported to Daz Studio 4.6 Pro.
    Below is the Daz Studio render of the terrain with material from http://www.daz3d.com/rock-shader-for-daz-studio
    Also used Gianni 6 and http://www.daz3d.com/mec4d-dragon-rider-for-genesis-2-male-s

Love it, good stuff Artini. Thanks for sharing.

By-the-way, anyone who has Howler 9.5 from Daz can get the latest Howler 9.6 for free, just contact me with proof of purchase.

edited December 1969

Thanks staigerman. Will contact you about upgrade.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,954
    edited March 2015

...OK, time for somethign a bit more "realistic" (yeah I know, breaking my normal convention of sticking to the original theme)

Here's that scene I posted several pages back this time rendered in Iray (changed and added a couple things).

Here_comes_the_bus_Iray_skin.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

It does look nice, but, I'd hardly call the differences between it and 3Delight night and day. I'm still happy enough with 3Delight so far.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...the shadows and GI are much more natural. Also substituted the Iray skin default on both of the girls (not overwriting the base shader used) which in comparison I feel looks very "real".

Yes I could substitute UE and render in 3DL (which would give me the GI that the AoA Ambient doesn't), however, it would take at least twice as long to "cook" (based on scenes I've rendered with similar elements) due to all the transmaps and reflectivity. as well as drive my CPU temps over 70C for that length of time (even with all the cooling I have). With Iray I am running in the low 60s C (similar to Luxrender).

Keep in mind this is also only after about a week and a half of literally playing around with a beta version of the software and render engine that still has incomplete documentation. Compared to all the time spent with Reality/Lux, I feel I have come a much longer way in a shorter amount of time. Same with 3DL as I don't have to mess with figuring out the Shader Mixer, RSL,and scripted rendering in order to achieve the same result.

Given from what I already have seen, for myself, saving up for a GPU to enhance speed performance would be worth it

Being able to render images on this level could also mean some extra Zloty's in the pocket for me.

edited December 1969

Mmm, ok, when you look at it that way, I can see why Iray may be of benefit to you. For the renders I do, with what I've seen Wowie do with US2, I'll be staying with 3Delight. I want to get the best out of what I've already built and not have to spend any more money on things I don't feel I need.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...true. you are in this for the sheer enjoyment (which for the most part, so am I),

After having done some actual paid CG project work, I see this as a move in the right direction to give Daz Studio a better foothold as a CG production tool as well. For myself this will better help me get my foot in the door as now I can create finished images that are on par with the "big" expensive software.

Again, for story telling, I still prefer a more "painterly" look so 3DL will be just as important to myself as well (hopefully things will get fixed with AoA's lights and cameras).

Also today, just received notice from Pixar and downloaded the free non commercial version of the full Renderman engine. Hopefully there will be some sort of bridge made available to use it with Daz since 3DL is a Renderman product.

edited December 1969

I can see it's advantages in that respect, but, a big production house might sneer at stuff not done on software on a par with what they use. With regard to Renderman, now Daz have Iray I can't see it happening.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...the key is having a portfolio that is a bit more eye catching. Iray is also used by 3DS, C4Dand other pro software.

I'm looking at not as much working for some big CG studio but being able carve a niche for myself in illustration work. There is a reason I have recently purchased almost more morph, shader, materials, and surfacing resources than regular character content and have pushed limits to make characters who were distinct and had their own individual "visual personality". I have also been taking more time to learn about creating surfaces and textures.

The addition of Iray gives me a tool that allows me to give a "pro" quality to my work when needed, without the having to shell out for 2,000$ - 3,000$ software. This was why I originally bought into Reality/Lux for what I was seeing coming out of this little programme was incredible.

The bottom line for me is using the tools I have to not only do the best I can but to push as far as I can t get results most would never expect possible.

My one regret is that I never really dove into modelling as the only choice available was either an unstable, crash prone application, or one with a UI that by itself had a learning curve as steep as a sheer rock cliff.

edited December 1969

I get where you're coming from. Cost is a factor for me too and I can't afford to buy another graphics card when what I've got will do what I need it for. I think there will be a lot of frustrated people out there that will throw their money at cards and things for Iray and then they find they just don't get on with it.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...very true. Once the "wow" factor wears off it will be "why did I do this?" (kind of hearing that from some people concerning Octane already).

For myself, I find working with Iray challenging, absorbing, and rewarding. I have to credit Reality/Lux for giving me a good foundation in understanding the process and how unbiased rendering works. So for me, saving up for a new GPU to handle the task is more of a priority The TitanX (12 GB) is already out, the updated 970/980 GPU's are probably not far behind as they are already listed on Nvidia's Maxwell technology site.

Interesting to note that a couple months ago I was reading about a breakthrough in graphics processors and asked on ZDNet what this might mean for GPU development. Guess I finally got my answer.

I have to admit Daz Studio could use a better, more intuitive shader builder (like Carrara's) than what it has now. Hopefully in the stable release (or Daz 5.0) there will be an improvement (or new set of tools) to accommodate creating Iray shaders.

edited December 1969

I've been having fun with shaders myself, what with 4.7 needing a new version of the AoA SSS shader and me not knowing about it. I was tearing my hair out wondering why renders I'd done didn't look as I expected. I reinstalled and reloaded the shader in the troublesome scenes and now everything is where it should be.

You'll see a difference between these two

CHEERS!

V6_Paris_New.jpg
    576 x 745 - 184K
    V6_Paris_Caisson_02.jpg
    576 x 745 - 181K
    edited December 1969

Looks nice, Rogerbee.

edited December 1969

I have rendered in Daz Studio 4.7 (3Delight)
    http://www.daz3d.com/sase-kennedy-for-victoria-6
    with collar from http://www.daz3d.com/calais-hair-and-ruff-2
    using light setup from http://www.daz3d.com/fw-sebastian-hd
    Rendering Time: 4 minutes 25 seconds

Kennedy05pic01.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 156K
    edited March 2015

... and then, I have exported the same scene to Lux Render 1.4 via Reality 4 for DS.
    After 10 minutes of rendering in Lux (CPU only), I got the picture attached below.
    82.58 S/p 112.37 kS/s 378.50 kC/s 337% Eff
    Looks like a big improvement over previous versions of Lux,
    as a matter of increased speed of rendering.

Kennedy05reality02.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 206K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    ... and then, I have exported the same scene to Lux Render 1.4 via Reality 4 for DS.
    After 10 minutes of rendering in Lux (CPU only), I got the picture attached below.
    82.58 S/p 112.37 kS/s 378.50 kC/s 337% Eff
    Looks like a big improvement over previous versions of Lux,
    as a matter of increased speed of rendering.

...what series of CPU do you have?
This discussion has been closed.