New plugin : HDR light Domes

Comments

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

I think Affinity Photo can, and maybe the open source Darktable as well.

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 190
    edited April 2021

Mystiarra said:

Hi

i bought the Platinum Pack Two.  is EXR files.  is there anything can convert?

THank

You can convert EXR files to HDR online at http://aconvert.com/image/

Post edited by RuudL on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Thank you!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,233

This thing is Amazing! What a great way to light a scene!

Philemo, thanks again for all of your hard work on All of your plugins!

It did take me a while to settle in on using VWD, but now I can't live without it. I love having all of these great Carrara Helpers!

adjusting brigtness is what tone mapping is,  i learned yesterday, lol

is  the distant light the only light type fit the binary criteria? 

is scale of the scene a factor?

thanks.  its a lot of fun experimenting with this plugin.

for fun i changed all the light types to shape rectangle smiley

found a pbr set called jewel crafters.  on the search for semi preshuss stones

hdri, Rock Arch Beach Sunset (4m) 4k.hdr

Rock Arch Beach Sunset (4m) 4k.hdr.png
    1280 x 720 - 582K

That's very cool, Misty! I've grown rather fond of using shape lights as well, and after seeing that you were looking for semi-precious stones, I did some searching too. Yeah... not an easy find by search, I see!

is there a way to embed the hdr in the background preset?

or a relative path to the hdr in current folder of the preset?

the rar trick works on uncompressing the cbr file.

Thanks.

Not really "embed", but if you save a scene with the HDRI in the background, it will save with it - but the image must remian where it was (same drive/folder, etc.,) when it was loaded the first time.

We can also store it in the browser as a Background preset under the Misc tab > Backgrounds

To load it, simply drag it over Backgrounds in the Instances tray. Again, image file must remain where it was when loaded into Carrara at that time.

between these 2 sets is 40 hdr
    https://www.daz3d.com/strange-substances-pack-2
    https://www.daz3d.com/strange-substances-pack-1

but they;re strange. 

turned on some cloudy atmo smiley

Doc4.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 379K

Strange HDRI are often created and used for lighting purposes only.

My current workflow that has yet to be descibed in detail requires that I render Rosie separately using Octane in Daz Studio. I use many various HDRI to match the lighting to the scene she's being rendered for - which can be a challenge, but quite rewarding!

All will be revealed soonish

doesnt work with the carrara octane?

i still use poser in my workflow.  I dont know how to delete deformers in carrara, i use the poser hierarchy editor

i dont need poser for pmd no moars, found a binary editor utility

Mystiarra said:

doesnt work with the carrara octane?

I wouldn't know. I'm too poor to try Octane for Carrara

i think one of these is the relative path

xdat {Rpth "::::TEXTURES:DimensionTheory:WonderousWares:"ARpt "\\Presets\\TEXTURES\\DimensionTheory\\WonderousWares\\WonderousHDR.hdr"

looks like no way to embed the hdr.  would be nice to keep it together in the same folder as the preset.

Mystiarra said:

i think one of these is the relative path

xdat {Rpth "::::TEXTURES:DimensionTheory:WonderousWares:"ARpt "\\Presets\\TEXTURES\\DimensionTheory\\WonderousWares\\WonderousHDR.hdr"

looks like no way to embed the hdr.  would be nice to keep it together in the same folder as the preset.

I never like doing that because it clutters the folder. But if you like it that way, you could copy the hdr file over to the folder you want it to be in, and load that hdr instead of from the original location, and then save that.

I'm still (and maybe always will be) an old school kinda guy. And I come from a Poser background. So I got very used to how files are organized and enjoy that I can almost always find where everything it installed without having to check the install package to check.

DIM has taken a lot of detective work out of it for me though. Now that more and more artists are collaborating, it's not always easy to find the right textures folder because it might be under the name of the Texture Artist, like Toxic Angel, Forbidden Whispers, Sarsa, for example. And sometimes I just can't seem to figure out which category someone has put a DUF file - it an absolute mess in there. I still wish Daz would have kept that all in check via QA while they had a nice new library structure to begin with (DS 4.0)

But alas, DIM to the rescue!

The other thing I love about having a separate directory for all Textures is that I often use textures made for something else for other things.

Having that folder structure, most often under the artists' name, makes it quick and easy for me to load in a different texture - clicking the Load Texture panel takes us to the original folder (not always, depending upon what we're doing) so I can just go up a level or two to ge to the texture folder I want.

The way that I organize my "Runtime Structure"(see below), I have a special Runtime for texture resources that I buy, and that makes for a wondeful way to shop for textures. Of course, I insall the Iray textures and hrdi to the default location, but sometimes I also copy entire HDRI folders (Copy, not Move!!!) to my Texture Resources folder to make them easier to find when I'm in Carrara.

Runtime Structure Organization

Daz Install Manager - Installing Custom Poser Runtimes
    Basic walkthrough of designing your own custom runtime structure

if there was a car file and cbr file looking for the same hdr, a central textures folder would be more practical.

but i'm shuffling scene inventory between 2 machines.  i don't want to have to hunt down the textures folder when copying between the machines.   the external ssd is fast, and quiet, the hdr are a longer load, especially the 16k, is worth it to put it on the system drive for now.

what i need is a flux capacitor fast NASlaugh

Mystiarra said:

if there was a car file and cbr file looking for the same hdr, a central textures folder would be more practical.

Exactly. So if you did do the change, you'r also want to redo the presets with the new HDRI location. PITA!

Mystiarra said:

but i'm shuffling scene inventory between 2 machines.  i don't want to have to hunt down the textures folder when copying between the machines.   the external ssd is fast, and quiet, the hdr are a longer load, especially the 16k, is worth it to put it on the system drive for now.

what i need is a flux capacitor fast NASlaugh

I have a nice little 2TB drive that I use to get stuff from one computer to the next. But for everything I installed via Daz 3d,  use DIM. The Power of having a worthy database of all my content!

I bought the Content Package Assist and, though I haven't used it yet, I will eventually make all of my Renderosity content DIM compatible as well.

i wont put my production machines on the internet.  i have a cheap 4 core refurb for internet and gaming.

sneaky updates not gonna bring my renders down.  lol

I used to keep my Carrara box unplugged from the internet unless I wanted to update or use DIM, etc.,

Using Octane changes that - it won't work if it can't log in at start up - so I could unplug immediately after launch, but I usually opt to just leave it live for now.

I told Windows 10 to behave itself, and only tell me when it's time for an update! ;)

all the hdrs i've collected since i began playing with this plugin, havent found the perfect one for a cruise thru the Darkwald set.
    or the perrfect background music.  something like uncle tom's cabin by warrant

tee hee. glowy shrooms

edited May 2021

Yep. "perfection" in one's mind is a difficult thing to find for sale somewhere.

Perhaps try making a spherical map (using spherical camera) of exactly what you'r looking for?

I f we make several spherical renders at varying exposure levels (leaving the illuminating portions bright while ambient areas darken - as a basic description) we can use Photoshop (not Elemments, though) or Afinity Photo to merge them into an HDRI

That's what got me to buy Affinity Photo in the first place, and it does it really well! (And it's only $50!!!)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

i cant find it on amazon.  they have only a mac b&w version.

i lowered the dome subd to the minimum, it loaded 32 lights.

it wouldnt work if i changed it to 1 hugemongous shape light to cover the whole terrain?

You don't get it from Amazon. You get it direct from Affinity

oh.  thanks.

can it make normals maps too?

Mystiarra said:

A - oh.  thanks.

B - can it make normals maps too?

A - My pleasure!

B - Use Materialize to make normal maps

the bricks remind me of the wolfenstein game.  the DOS days.  omg.  i miss DOS.
    my 1st computer had 2  5 and a quarter drives.  lol  they said we would never need more than 640k
    had to use config.sys to push the mouse driver to upper memory to play the gabriel knight game
    so when the 128bit busses coming out?smiley

the tube light has an option for logarhythm.  i didnt go passed pre calculus, it was something about never reaching true zero?
    like theres no such thing as a true sphere or straight line in nature.

i testing with changing the light types to all the tubes.
    i turned off the cast shadows on them all.  
    need the one precious light to cast shadow for them all, but which type?
    fall off has anything to do with shadows?