Modo version available now for the hobby user market

Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Thefoundry did it, there is a modo "steampowered" version now available for the hobby user market and all content designers...

check out steam, google or the modo forum for more info, as direct linking here "always is forbidden with the TOS"

Comments

• The DigiVaultThe DigiVault Posts: 453
    edited December 1969

Excellent! Thanks for the tip!

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

It looks like an amazing piece of software but you need to install Steam and remain connected to Steam's cloud and it's Windows only. Does Steam allow you to use their Cloud for renders or are they internal to your hardware?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

It's saying that it's specialized for DOTA 2 (what ever that is)

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I looked it up on the Steam store. It said available Dec 2013, but had no price yet. Went to Modo and could not find anything. Look like the Luxology site is gone and everything in on The Foundry site now.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

modo has the education version for 999EU ($1,495.00 US) on their site, i didn't see anything else at this time.

edited December 2013

modo has the education version for 999EU ($1,495.00 US) on their site, i didn't see anything else at this time.

I paid less than that ($707) for the full Modo 6. I'm not sure how The Foundry will affect pricing, but Luxology used to have massive sale prices in December (50 to 60 % off).

edit I just looked, the $1495 is full version. Students can get a license for $250 a year.

Post edited by ncamp on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

can modo work with dazfigures ?
    can you use our big market?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 2013
    Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    edited December 1969

ruphuss said:

Modo and DS are different apps that can do some of the same things. Modo is more of a high end modeler with animation, similar to what 3DSMax and Maya do. I doubt that DS/poser rigging works in Modo, but you should be able to create any type of model to import and rig in DS/Poser. I know it was used on some DS models in the past.

edited December 1969

ruphuss said:

Not natively. You can export a scene via several options, but the imported figures cannot be reposed.

The shaders need to be fixed as well.

Modo is a great modeling program. It has many more tools available than Carrara or Hex. It has it's own rigging. Modo is professional grade software, so training and add-ons carry a fairly hefty price.

I believe that V4 and M4 were actually modeled in Modo (if I remember correctly).

ncamp

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Wonder it this will become a trend. With the prolonged recession, high end software companies must be wanting more business. I probably won't ever be buying Z-Brush, and that's actually fairly reasonable compared to others. I suspect this will be outside my comfort zone, also.

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

It looks like an amazing piece of software but you need to install Steam and remain connected to Steam's cloud and it's Windows only. Does Steam allow you to use their Cloud for renders or are they internal to your hardware?

Steam does not require that you have a constant connection. In the beginning I seemed to have a two week offline limit, but now it appears to be longer than that. I don't have internet at home and my gaming laptop is a bit larger than I like to carry around. It is nice how Steam automatically manages software updates, kind of like how DIM manages DAZ content updates. Having your games and software 'in the cloud' makes it easy to set up a new system if your old one breaks. You can have installations on multiple machines, too. I have a couple of Linux games on this laptop and most of the rest on my gaming laptop.

I can use Blender just fine, but if the price is right, say $99 or so, I wouldn't mind having a Steam version of Modo for casual use and learning purposes.

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

Steam does not require that you have a constant connection. In the beginning I seemed to have a two week offline limit, but now it appears to be longer than that. I don't have internet at home and my gaming laptop is a bit larger than I like to carry around. It is nice how Steam automatically manages software updates, kind of like how DIM manages DAZ content updates. Having your games and software 'in the cloud' makes it easy to set up a new system if your old one breaks. You can have installations on multiple machines, too. I have a couple of Linux games on this laptop and most of the rest on my gaming laptop.

I can use Blender just fine, but if the price is right, say $99 or so, I wouldn't mind having a Steam version of Modo for casual use and learning purposes.

Just because Steam does not require you to have a connection, it doesn't necessarily follow that the program will not. Steam is a "platform", the acutal DRM varies depending on the software company, or at least that is how it always used to be be, and I haven't heard different.

edited December 1969

When installing Steam does the installer give you the option to NOT install any gaming stuff? I hate games so don't want that crap on my system.

edited December 1969

Just because Steam does not require you to have a connection, it doesn't necessarily follow that the program will not. Steam is a "platform", the acutal DRM varies depending on the software company, or at least that is how it always used to be be, and I haven't heard different.

You are quite correct! In fact I've been 'burned' by Rockstar with GTA4 on Steam. I did buy it at a ridiculously low price, but still I haven't been able to play it yet because of the onerous DRM that requires RSSC and GFWL. Steam DRM should be enough, and some publishers 'get it.' The WB Batman games are a good example. WB fixed the DRM to be Steam only since GFWL is going bye-bye. I've learned that it's always a good idea to check the forums for a game or software before making a purchase. Some developers take an active interest in their customer base, while others apparently could care less.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    When installing Steam does the installer give you the option to NOT install any gaming stuff? I hate games so don't want that crap on my system.

Steam installs what you purchase. If you don't buy any games, there are not installed.

Note that the steam service runs all the time, so it does eat up some system resources. I have steam because "The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim" for the PC runs on that platform. I've never had it interfere with anything else.

ncamp

• Three WishesThree Wishes Posts: 471
    edited December 1969

Well, this is interesting news.

Brad Peebler (formerly CEO of Luxology, now I think President of The Foundry's MODO Division), usually does a fun weekly modcast on Friday afternoons. I'll be watching for it today.

I got into modo 102 years ago thanks to a special sale run here at the DAZ site. Followed their upgrade path all the way to the current version.

It's a big, BIG program, just like Photoshop. So many features built in, most of which I don't touch. But I absolutely love the app. One of the most elegant and well-thought-out architectures I've ever seen. Everything that should work together, does work together, sometimes in ways the developers didn't even think to test.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    RAMWolff said:

Steam installs what you purchase. If you don't buy any games, there are not installed.

Note that the steam service runs all the time, so it does eat up some system resources. I have steam because "The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim" for the PC runs on that platform. I've never had it interfere with anything else.

ncamp

I think they will add their Team Fortress 2 to your library (it is free-to-play Valve game; Valve owns Steam), but you don't have to actually install it (so it doesn't take your disc space) and, if it bothers you by hanging in your library, you can put it into separate category and hide this category out of sight quite well. Other free to play games only appear if you actually install them. From time to time they have promotions like "free weekend of " in which case the game will appear in your library (but won't be installed unless you order it to) for about two days and then go away.

But I'm sad to hear you hate games. Games are fun.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,429
    edited December 2013

I didn't notice any games in the Steam library, just B2M and Substance Designer.

I take it back, it does list a couple of free games. It's also updated the client both times I've launched it (Wednesday and today) and it pops up ads when launched. So yes, it could be annoying in that respect

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 2013

I didn't notice any games in the Steam library, just B2M and Substance Designer.

I do certainly have Team Fortress 2 in my library I never bought or wishlisted or installed or desired in any way, and I'm pretty sure it was there since I've started Steam account a couple of years ago. It is harmless (and trailers are very funny :)) but it still here. Maybe it only adds if you buy some Source engine game (my first game ever on Steam was amazing "Portal") and if you have just software or non-Source games, it doesn't add itself?
    Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:

I do certainly have Team Fortress 2 in my library I never bought or wishlisted or installed or desired in any way, and I'm pretty sure it was there since I've started Steam account a couple of years ago. It is harmless (and trailers are very funny :)) but it still here. Maybe it only adds if you buy some Source engine game (my first game ever on Steam was amazing "Portal") and if you have just software or non-Source games, it doesn't add itself?

Portal is awesome! Portal 2 is even better! I got both of them on Steam together for around $7 on sale. Since I no longer do consoles, and PC games are hard to come by in retail outlets in my area, Steam is an excellent option, imo. There are some non-game softwares that have caught my eye. I'm interested in the hobbyist version of 3DCoat that is available on Steam. Paying full price for a full version is fine if you're going to make money, or you've got plenty of money to spend on a program that you may only use occasionally. I just can't rationalize that expense.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:

Portal is awesome! Portal 2 is even better!

YAY! A fellow 'Portal' fan! *high-fives*
    I got both of them on Steam together for around $7 on sale.
    I got 'Portal' in a box in retail but it still required Steam and downloaded itself by some reason. I was peeved at first but so far (knock the wood) Steam has been ok. Only thing that I don't like is if Steam will ever go down, all my games will go down with it, as it doesn't give you any installers. This is why I buy all I can at GOG now and this is why I won't ever buy software more expensive than $10 on Steam - I can risk losing games but not tools.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    edited December 1969

dhtapp said:
    Well, this is interesting news.

Brad Peebler (formerly CEO of Luxology, now I think President of The Foundry's MODO Division), usually does a fun weekly modcast on Friday afternoons. I'll be watching for it today.

I got into modo 102 years ago thanks to a special sale run here at the DAZ site. Followed their upgrade path all the way to the current version.

It's a big, BIG program, just like Photoshop. So many features built in, most of which I don't touch. But I absolutely love the app. One of the most elegant and well-thought-out architectures I've ever seen. Everything that should work together, does work together, sometimes in ways the developers didn't even think to test.

...I "test drove" Modo301 years ago and liked what I saw. Unfortunately even back then the price (899$) was more than daunting. Now it's 1,495$ which most definitely puts it out of reach. That;s about what it cost to build my workstation and that took about 18 months of scraping and saving on a better income than I have now.

One of my biggest concerns is having to run Steam in background along with an application that requires a minimum of 2G of memory. Another is that it sounds like the Steam version might be optimised more for game development rather than full on studio based 3D work.

Based on the pricing differential for Silo2.2 between Steam and Nevercenter's price, I don't see Modo being offered for 99$. unless there are major limitations imposed. I see a pricetag more in the area of 500 - 600$ and that even that may be a low ball figure considering purchasing SIlo though Steam, works out to a 38% savings compared to Nevercenter's price.

Just learned about another pro grade modelling application, Strata 3D (which has now been released for Windows) which retails for less than the full list price of Carrara 8.5 Pro and is supposedly very intuitive as well. I need to investigate this more.

edited December 1969

I take it back, it does list a couple of free games. It's also updated the client both times I've launched it (Wednesday and today) and it pops up ads when launched. So yes, it could be annoying in that respect

...I wonder how that works if you have AdBlock or other pop up blockers running.
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    ncamp said:
    RAMWolff said:

ncamp

I think they will add their Team Fortress 2 to your library (it is free-to-play Valve game; Valve owns Steam), but you don't have to actually install it (so it doesn't take your disc space) and, if it bothers you by hanging in your library, you can put it into separate category and hide this category out of sight quite well. Other free to play games only appear if you actually install them. From time to time they have promotions like "free weekend of " in which case the game will appear in your library (but won't be installed unless you order it to) for about two days and then go away.

But I'm sad to hear you hate games. Games are fun.
    ...I'm with RAMWolff on the whole gaming thing. I have enough of a "time investment" with 3D and trying to lean modlling, to go wasting time playing games. With 3D CG, I actually have something to show for the time I spend at it.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    I got 'Portal' in a box in retail but it still required Steam and downloaded itself by some reason. I was peeved at first but so far (knock the wood) Steam has been ok. Only thing that I don't like is if Steam will ever go down, all my games will go down with it, as it doesn't give you any installers. This is why I buy all I can at GOG now and this is why I won't ever buy software more expensive than $10 on Steam - I can risk losing games but not tools.

...good point. which is Why I don't particularly care for cloud based software.

If the Daz site goes down or becomes flaky, I can still work in Studio or Carrara.

edited December 1969

KK, thanks for the heads up on Strata 3D. It's going on my "must check out" list. $500.00 isn't bad for such a full featured piece of software. Didn't see any mention of sculpting tools though!

edited December 2013

...yeah, just checked. Still at 1/3 the retail cost of Modo and about 1/7 the cost of 3DS, it offers quite a bit. May try the demo out to see just how good the UI is.

Will also wait to see just what the final details and price for Modo through Steam will be (though I still have reservations about using cloud based software).

I need Father Christmas to be very good to me this year.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,429
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...I wonder how that works if you have AdBlock or other pop up blockers running.

Steam is an application, not the website. It doesn't require that your browser be running, it makes its own connection just as your browser or email client do, to a specific location.

edited December 2013

Latest rumor has Modo for Steam starting at $159. As far as Steam downloads go, it is possible to create a shortcut directly to your app in the Steam directory in your Program Files and launch it without going through the Steam console. I've done that a few times, but of course, ymmv.

As far as performance goes, I've never noticed an issue playing games even with my under powered AMD laptop. With my gaming laptop running Intel i7, well, Steam is just another minor background process. It hardly matters in practical usage.

Post edited by daveleitz on