Modo version available now for the hobby user market

13»

Comments

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

About $45 here with 20% discount. It seems it may export FBX but it was not strong side of 601. I had troubles with importing DS or Maya FBX and exported FBX could not be read back in Maya. Cannot tell for sure about latest 601 SP5, I stopped trying to use FBX on SP2 and handed over all meshes in OBJ.
    I am still in doubts about upgrading up to 701. Luxology never finished polishing any modo version over 80-85% till perfection. The Foundry is a new owner of modo but I have no info if the Foundry already had a hand in 701 production. And I still have no idea how the Foundry handles own products.

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Ok, it looks like FBX is limited to 7k polys, which is fine for game engines but not general use. Modo Steam can import obj but not export it. Looks like a no-go from my perspective. It's not like I needed it anyway, so I'll just stick to Blender.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,429
    edited December 1969

I thought it was said on the modo forum that there were no polycount limits on export, but that DoTA 2 had limits on imports.

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

I thought it was said on the modo forum that there were no polycount limits on export, but that DoTA 2 had limits on imports.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/244290/discussions/0/630799808377375564/

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

Eh. No use to me then. But then I really didn't expect it to be.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,429
    edited December 1969

http://steamcommunity.com/app/244290/discussions/0/630799808377375564/

Yes, the Foundry people seemed to be getting confused themselves.

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 2013

Thinking it over and over finally I decided to upgrade to 701 (via Founfry, not Steam) after diggin the demo for several days. In 701 fbx import works much better so it imports G2F/M skeletons properly binded and allows posing the figures in animation tab. This is encouraging as the exported pose may be altered to match the situation without repeating reexport of tweaks. Considering that The Foundry is promising to build in support of Octane the sum of these aspects is very pleasing.

Post edited by Coon Ra on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    edited December 2013

...yeah as I thought. A totally hamstrung.version. Not worth it.

...time to save up those Zlotys for the full version.

Daz, why won't you make Hexagon work?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ratus69_c6741fefbfratus69_c6741fefbf Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

Coon Ra said:
    In 701 fbx import works much better so it imports G2F/M skeletons properly binded

hello,

it's strange because when I import genesis 1 it works fine in modo 701 with fbx but when I use genesis 2 and import it as fbx in modo, the mesh is distorted : if I enter the setup mode in modo I can see there's an offset between the skeleton and the mesh figure and to fix this issue I have to set the mesh at world coordinate 0,0,0,

any advice ?

thanks