Spline Spirals

2»

Comments

• TurnerTurner Posts: 116
    edited December 1969

If it works as it was designed to work, then it is not a bug.

Ok, I've designed an object used to drive nails into wood.

I've named it "screwdriver"....

This tool works exactly as I've intended. Just hold it by the metal part and whack the nail with the handle...

See?

edited December 1969

Dude, if you try something that you think should work, by definition, and it doesn't... I'd definitely report the thing.

Agreed.

Thing is, as I'm sure you know, that the ability to control via cross-sections should be optional, not required.

thanks- trying your suggestion now.

Andrew

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I think it's Geek at Play(?)...
    I saw a rather nice tutorial for making threads, like on a bolt, for Hexagon.

Dude, if you try something that you think should work, by definition, and it doesn't... I'd definitely report the thing. The more stuff gets picked up like that the better, in my opinion. I also agree, however, with what ep is saying about his cross sections being a great way to increase control. There's a vast multitude of things that we have to really pry on our imagination and ingenuity to get them to work out. Such is the like of 3d modeling ;)

But in this case, it just seems to me that you should be able to set an axis to follow as the spiral is taking affect. Oh... hmmm... I bet there is. Try this:
    Before applying the Spiral command, or whatever you're doing that isn't working the way you want it to, try Ctrl + Click a different axis than the one highlighted in the grids. Well... it's the grid that you click while holding down either Ctrl (Win) or Cmd(Mac). I know that this makes a big difference for Duplicate with Symmetry.

Doesn't seem to work that way in the Spline Modeler.

The reason I say it is not a bug is that the dialogue with the options is extremely limited. It creates a starting point. Instead of calling it a bug, I would maybe suggest a feature request to update the preset. Bugs are flaws in the software that cause it not to behave as intended. I think that the preset is behaving in the manner it was supposed to, at the time it was written. The fact that you can still edit the spiral tells me that it wasn't designed to be the final output, unless you wanted it to be.

Again, that's my opinion.

Picture_7.png
    264 x 354 - 31K
    edited December 1969

Turner said:

This tool works exactly as I've intended. Just hold it by the metal part and whack the nail with the handle...

See?

Before you go too far, I suggest you adjust your attitude.

edited December 2013

Turner said:

See?

evilproducer, you're reading something into my comment that isn't there.

Post edited by Turner on
    edited December 1969

Turner said:
    Turner said:

See?

Am I? I go out of my way to state it's merely a difference of opinion, and you post the sarcastic screwdriver analogy while quoting my reply. Please tell me how else it is meant be taken?

edited December 2013

Turner said:
    Turner said:

See?

Am I? I go out of my way to state it's merely a difference of opinion, and you post the sarcastic screwdriver analogy while quoting my reply. Please tell me how else it is meant be taken?

Hi evilproducer,

In the sense that things are named a way for a reason.

But, I suppose that wasn't the case here... In fact, what the Carrara tool should probably be called is "Helix"; however, even if it were, speaking from a purely geometrical point of view, "helix" does not inherently imply (the the case of a 3-dimensional process such as Carrara is using) that the shape being extruded along a helical path should necessarily rotate (relative to its z-direction) while it does so.

There's no doubt in my mind that the tool was not intended to rotate geometry while it was being coiled. Had the programming team, for some reason, decided that doing so was the better default, then, by implication, they would know how to control it via assignment of some value that defined rotation around its local z plane.

That value would (or should, if it's actually the case - which I doubt) be made available to the user.

Now, even if the 2nd cross section in the standard process is "corrected" by hand to eliminate rotation, the overall geometry deforms rather than simply showing the change in the rotation along the extruded shape.

Andrew

Post edited by Turner on
    edited December 1969

Ideally it would behave as the OP had hoped it would behave. I still think that the reason it behaves the way it does is because it was probably easier to set up that way. As I said, I do think a feature request for an update would be great. I just hesitate to call it a bug when there are real bugs that need attention.

As an example, I would look at the spiral preset like the fire primitive. It works as it was intended in RayDream 5 in 1997, but it needs to be updated for Carrara 8.5 in 2013 (seriously, it is exactly the same, right down to the default colors and settings). It doesn't cause Carrara to crash, or otherwise hinder Carrara's operation, it just needs to be updated to take advantage of today's more powerful processors. For example, the fire primitive would be much more effective if the fire could react to scene forces, or at the least have a parameter you could adjust to make it look like the flames are being blown in the wind. The fact that it doesn't have those abilities doesn't mean it has a bug, it means it wasn't designed that way, and should be updated.

Again, this is just my opinion, if you or the OP feels that it's a bug, you are well within your rights to file a ticket. Personally, I preferred Mantis to the current system, with Mantis, you could see feature requests and bug reports, comment on them, see their status, etc. The way it is now is to opaque.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Saw an amusing "bug vs. feature" cartoon the other day, thought I'd share. Attribution to the cartoon creator below:

Bug vs. Feature. by Joey deVilla on December 4, 2007

bug_feature.png
    259 x 194 - 33K
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Turner said:
    But, I suppose that wasn't the case here... In fact, what the Carrara tool should probably be called is "Helix"

The problem with this idea Turner is that the spline modeler does a heck of a lot more than create helix shapes. I am sure that if your naming idea were to be accepted you would have far more artists asking, "WTF did they call this tool helix?"

That said, I stepped in the middle of this minor tiff and saw your post as the joke it was probably meant to be.

It reminds me of a quote from one of my database gurus, "You don't use a rock to pound a wood screw into a piece of fine furniture."

edited December 1969

Ideally it would behave as the OP had hoped it would behave. I still think that the reason it behaves the way it does is because it was probably easier to set up that way. As I said, I do think a feature request for an update would be great. I just hesitate to call it a bug when there are real bugs that need attention.

Hey again -

First, my apologies for being snippy yesterday.

Not that it's an excuse, but trust me, when the feature you need doesn't work as expected, it sure seems like one that needs attention... ;)

Pretty frustrating. After using/supporting all the various companies since this thing was Ray Dream, especially going through the "oh cr@p" transition from Eovia, I think, as you note, many would likely be better served by fixing the glaring, commonly used functions that misbehave.

Surprisingly, I'm still stunned / baffled by the shader creation dialog (or lack thereof) as well as the continued burying of the grid snapping toggle in the spline modeler, but those are topics for another post.

cheers
    Andrew

edited December 1969

Saw an amusing "bug vs. feature" cartoon the other day, thought I'd share. Attribution to the cartoon creator below:

Nice.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Turner said:
    But, I suppose that wasn't the case here... In fact, what the Carrara tool should probably be called is "Helix"

The problem with this idea Turner is that the spline modeler does a heck of a lot more than create helix shapes. I am sure that if your naming idea were to be accepted you would have far more artists asking, "WTF did they call this tool helix?"

Hi Garstor -

I didn't mean to call the whole tool "Helix" - just the extrusion preset called "spiral".

Reasoning: The tool's behavior defaults to a helix, and must be modified to create a spiral.

Or, it should be changed to create a spiral by default and require input to create a helix...

cheers
    Andrew

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Turner said:
    Not that it's an excuse, but trust me, when the feature you need doesn't work as expected, it sure seems like one that needs attention... ;)

That is absolutely true! I worked closely enough with the Microsoft developers and bug reports to see that behaviour in full force.

BTW, don't get me started on all the stuff I'd like to see changed in Carrara! :cheese:

edited December 1969

Turner said:

Hey again -

First, my apologies for being snippy yesterday.

Pretty frustrating. After using/supporting all the various companies since this thing was Ray Dream, especially going through the "oh cr@p" transition from Eovia, I think, as you note, many would likely be better served by fixing the glaring, commonly used functions that misbehave.

Surprisingly, I'm still stunned / baffled by the shader creation dialog (or lack thereof) as well as the continued burying of the grid snapping toggle in the spline modeler, but those are topics for another post.

cheers
    Andrew

My apologies as well. I was pretty snippy myself. I have a deadline for a project fast approaching and I keep having problems interfering with getting it done. Not Carrara though, it's been running like a champ in Batch Render mode.

edited December 1969

:lol: :lol: