August 2019 – DAZ 3D New User Challenge – Free Month (With a Twist)

12346»

Comments

• Awesome job everyone!! Congrats to everyone who participated you all did fantastic!!

• Thank you! And I was worried about my snakes... ;-) It was good to have a focus as I normally stick a pin in my content and run with it, lol

Congratulations to everyone who featured and entered. It's completely nerve-wracking to put yourself up to be judged.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,093
    edited September 2019

Well done to the winners. Some of the results were quite unusual & interesting. I do like the "What a Departure". A really powerful & evocative image.

We were also asked for our thoughts on the new idea for the August challenge. For what it's worth, here are mine.

1. I am barely artistically competent to comment on my own images. Analysing and identifying problems with images by those I feel are very experienced is well beyond what I feel I am competent to do & had a freezing effect on what few critical facilities I have, and it entirely dried up all the inspiration I had. The only image I could imagine was a reaction to Leana's butterflies, and had a flyaway haired, wild eyed woman lashing out at the flying creatiures with a flyswat. An image so silly I didn't get beyond the first 5 seconds imagining it. Couldn't get past that at all.
    2. Limiting the competition entries to reactions inspired by a limited range of reference images is a legitimate competition rule, but I felt it was an artificial constraint and very limiting. Particularly when added to the effects of 1 above.
    3. Capturing the look & feel of someone else's image was one of the requirements in the challenge definition. Feels a bit like telling a musician to compose a jazz piece. All well & good if they like jazz. And if they do not, or they utterly loathe jazz? No. Felt very uncomfortable with that requirement especially as I didn't really like any of the reference images, didn't dislike them either, just monumentally indifferent.

Just my comments and thoughts about the August Challenge - as requested. And I still have not got the flyswat out of my system. Maybe I need to get it rendered so I can move on and start imagining something else.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  •  

L'Adair:

Items Used:

Products Included with Daz Studio:

• Genesis Starter Essentials
      • Genesis Male
      • WildMane Hair
      • Journeyer Scout Outfit
      • Journeyer Scout Textures
    • Genesis 3 Female Starter Essentials
      • Genesis 3 Female
      • Dark Storm Outfit
      • Toulouse Hair
    • DM's Memorium
      • Scene 04, modified set
      • Scene 04 lighting

Not included with Daz Studio

This looks like a fun game even If it is too late to play. One item jumps right out at me. It looks like 2 males fighting but one has boobs. I never cared for that toulouse hair.

I got the background from google images, does that count at a freebie? The girl is Victoria 8 which I got when daz gave away all the victorias, Most of the other items and clothes came in one or another starter pack. The male is brenden and I have no idea where he came from, some bundle I am sure. I have lots of content I don't know where it came from and some that is in lost and found that I have not been able to find the base for. But hey, gotta learn sometime.

August challenge.png
    1480 x 1751 - 3M
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,818

Very nicely done :)  The posing is really fun on this and I really like the overall look smiley Nice job! smiley