Hair Today

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

In fact the files .car would not be compatible any more between-them…

edited December 1969

… but when you import something in Carrara, he proposes you to reverse the axes (by default).

• his xhis x Posts: 866
    edited December 2013

Chin Cap Results

Here are some pics showing the results of my chin cap experiment. This is what I was looking for.

This is not a prop. Because the beard must be animated along with the face, it must be made into a figure, invested with all the same morphs as the face. This was done in Poser. It could possibly be done in Carrara, but I have not yet learned how.

I made the cap in a number of ways. The easiest was when I saved it as a cr2 in Poser, then edited it in Carrara. At one point I tried editing the obj file in Carrara, exporting it as an obj, then re-opening it in Poser to convert into a cr2. That would have allowed me to save the modified cap for use in other figures. But when the cap got into Poser it was four feet tall. I'm sure I could have gotten to the bottom of it, but I didn't take the time. I believe it has something to do with the Carrara obj import/export dialog. I'll nail it yet.

While I'm still on the scent, I'll make a skull cap. It will have features not found in standard M4 skull caps - sideburns, receding temples, and a severe widow's peak. Think Ming the Merciless.

Soon I will make friends with the Hair Room tools.

beards.jpg
    1619 x 537 - 105K
    Post edited by his x on
    edited December 1969

… but when you import something in Carrara, he proposes you to reverse the axes (by default).

If I was a UI Nazi, every manual would shrink from 1,000 pages to 200 pages.

edited December 1969

Rottenham said:
    Chin Cap Results

Here are some pics showing the results of my chin cap experiment. This is what I was looking for.

This is not a prop. Because the beard must be animated along with the face, it must be made into a figure, invested with all the same morphs as the face. This was done in Poser. It could possibly be done in Carrara, but I have not yet learned how.

I made the cap in a number of ways. The easiest was when I saved it as a cr2 in Poser, then edited it in Carrara. At one point I tried editing the obj file in Carrara, exporting it as an obj, then re-opening it in Poser to convert into a cr2. That would have allowed me to save the modified cap for use in other figures. But when the cap got into Poser it was four feet tall. I'm sure I could have gotten to the bottom of it, but I didn't take the time. I believe it has something to do with the Carrara obj import/export dialog. I'll nail it yet.

While I'm still on the scent, I'll make a skull cap. It will have features not found in standard M4 skull caps - sideburns, receding temples, and a severe widow's peak. Think Ming the Merciless.

Now to make friends with the Hair Room tools.

I know that there are adjustments of sizes of export in Poser and Carrara but it is necessary to test to see what corresponds.
    I do not understand, you want to make animation and you create an object (fix) for the beard, if that can be OK for a cranium, that is not for the beard because it must follow mimics of the character.
    The method of Evil is the best for that (or then, you modify some polygons in modeling room).

edited December 1969

I do not understand, you want to make animation and you create an object (fix) for the beard, if that can be OK for a cranium, that is not for the beard because it must follow mimics of the character.

This cap can be animated.

mouth.jpg
    576 x 576 - 61K
    edited December 1969

Aaaaaah !, how are you doing that ?

edited December 2013

Aaaaaah !, how are you doing that ?

Ha!

A cr2 file contains the same morphs and body part definitions as the figure it has been made for. A beard is no different than a shirt or a dress. After importing the cr2 file into Carrara, you use the Fit To button to select the figure that wears the chin cap. Then add hair. After that, the beard moves in unison with the face.
    :cheese:

Post edited by his x on
    edited December 1969

OK, I thought that it was a .obj file…

edited December 2013

OK, I thought that it was a .obj file…

The process involves first creating a polygon group and exporting it as an obj. To create a cr2 file including morphs, it must be imported to Poser and modified in the Poser Setup room. (Anybody who can tell me how to do this in Carrara, please, share.)

I learned to do this here.

Post edited by his x on
    edited December 1969

It is all the same much of work for a few hairs!
    If they are Poser characters, I believe that it is better in Poser.
    I do not know how to do that in Carrara without making invisible all the others shader domains.
    Perhaps that somebody will be able to help you (and I will still learn something more !).

edited December 1969

It is all the same much of work for a few hairs!
    If they are Poser characters, I believe that it is better in Poser.
    I do not know how to do that in Carrara without making invisible all the others shader domains.
    Perhaps that somebody will be able to help you (and I will still learn something more !).

A few hairs...

Things only look difficult when we don't know how to do them (which for me is often). This forum is a valuable learning tool. Someday I will write a sermon about it. :)

edited December 1969

You know... trying to do any of this stuff without a modeler... yikes! Carrara just nails it on the head, right?!!! :)

Yes. If you can't use a modeler, you have to compromise a lot.

Down the road a bit, I intend to make a shirt. A Hawaiian shirt. Nothing says Go To Hell like a Hawaiian shirt. Amazingly, nobody has made one.

There are many things in life I will never have. A Rolex President, a Ferrari, a penthouse on 5th Avenue...but by golly, there is one thing I can have. I can have the Devil wearing a Hawaiian shirt. The richest man on Earth can have no better! :lol:

edited December 1969

Well, I made the most beautiful caps in the world. I grew terrific hair on them. I parented them. I fitted them. I even learned to use the hairbrush. They looked swell.

Then I tested Mimic on them. They worked like crap. They were cr2 files. They had all the morphs. They should have worked. But they didn't. One conformed sort of, most of the time. The other was out to lunch.

That's all the time I'm going to spend on this particular issue right now. I have many other mistakes to make.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

I had this issue in iClone with conformed beards and LAMH geometry
    the answer was to select morphs in Daz transfer utility and add all the morphs ticking the second box on right panel
    the beards needed the visemes animated too
    i had to add each one to the iClone expression editor morphs

for carrara it might be similar, never used a conformed beard cap so do not know
    I HAVE used a .duf LAMH beard created as above and it worked
    you might need to create a ,dmc file for your beard cap cr2 in mimic pro or assign the morphs in carrara mimic plugin to it importing the sound again for it.

edited December 2013

the answer was to select morphs in Daz transfer utility and add all the morphs ticking the second box on right panel

for carrara it might be similar, never used a conformed beard cap so do not know
    you might need to create a ,dmc file for your beard cap cr2 in mimic pro or assign the morphs in carrara mimic plugin to it importing the sound again for it.

Sorry, what is LAMH?

Your explanation has the ring of truth. It was as if some of the morphs disappeared. This is undocumented territory.

What is strange about these Poser files is that they are not really files as we think of them, as they include references to other files. Worse, the references are relative rather than absolute. If you should delete or move any of these referenced files, you will regret it. This is taking some getting used to. I'm not accustomed to this, so I have moved or deleted some of my files freely, as I have learned to do with any Windows file. Now I'm paying for it.

I imported a cap cr2 file I made in Poser. I locked all the morphs, as I saw in a ToKoMotion video. Then I tried the DS cr2 exporter. Even though it says save as, it's an export filter, because it presents you with a dialog. It asks me for a path to the Runtime where the imported cr2 resides, when it should already know. Then it asks me where I want to save the exported file, when I have already told it. But this time it will not accept my original location. This time it will only accept a location within the runtime where the imported file originated. Egad! In the end it declined my instructions because it had some issue with the location of the obj file I used to create the original cr2!

Poser was originally a Mac program. You can see that in its legacy UI. I wonder if this non-standard file format may have been an attempt to force Mac conventions on a PC. It was conceived when RAM was $500 a meg, and a 350M hard drive was enormous, so it made sense at the time. To me, it's a burden. Carrara gives me the option to save a file and include all its dependent files. This makes for a large file, true, but I don't need to go through this endless file search and path declaration.

Amen. :long:

Post edited by his x on
    edited December 1969

LAMH is a Daz studio renderman curves hair plugin
    it can be used to create geometry unlike carrara hair
    but it is static so far, not dynamic
    Kendel Sears hinted in their thread though it may be possible one day.

I make hair props using it and have conformed some to Genesis using the studio triax rigging they import into C8.5 but a very high poly still berrer than transmapped hair props to render though.
    Carrara hair is better but for somethings animated I want hair conformed if not dynamic.
    Dynamic hair too jittery.
    so has its place
    and I use them in iClone.
    do not try simulating a beard in an animation!!!!

edited December 1969

Yes, I noticed there was a shortage of beards. I'm going to be very unhappy if I can't animate beards. A beard should be no different than a shirt. I've not given up yet. If I have to learn to make my own clothing before I can conform a beard, I will.

Ah, Look At My Hair. I've seen the plugin. I often think prop hair is the way to go.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

an unsimulated carrara dynamic beard indeed moves with all the morphs the mesh does
    unlike one on a prop
    just do not simulate it unless you want a jittery mess
    the problem with conforming another mesh to paint the beard on is that it needs ALL the figures morphs ie expressions AND visemes for mimic, and they have to occur syncronized with the figure.
    conforming clothes by Dimension 3D or XD by evilinnoccence can do this for V4 etc, and as I said transfer utility with the extra ticked morph transfer step can do it for Genesis.

edited December 1969

an unsimulated carrara dynamic beard indeed moves with all the morphs the mesh does
    unlike one on a prop
    just do not simulate it unless you want a jittery mess
    the problem with conforming another mesh to paint the beard on is that it needs ALL the figures morphs ie expressions AND visemes for mimic, and they have to occur syncronized with the figure.
    conforming clothes by Dimension 3D or XD by evilinnoccence can do this for V4 etc, and as I said transfer utility with the extra ticked morph transfer step can do it for Genesis.

Sorry, I do not understand simulated and unsimulated. I believe dynamic means stranded, right?

edited December 1969

a simulation is making the dynamic hair collide with the mesh animated
    you can just brush dynamic hair
    you can drape it and it falls into place for the first frame
    or you can simulate it which makes it continue to collide for the entire timeline if you wish
    most only do the first two
    even for animations
    as the last is VERY messy and unpredictable
    you can get away with it for very short hair and some such as Phil Wilkes and Jon Stark have done short animations they use proxy objects but mostly it is more trouble than it is worth.

edited December 1969

I will skip the caps for the time being. I will place the hair groups on the head itself.

For the moment I will not make long flowing tresses or ZZ Top beards, so collision, as I understand the term, will not be an issue.

Thanks.

edited December 2013

you prompted me to run the rarely used M4 conforming beard through morphing clothes adding M4 visemes
    it is stunning how much better it looks now using mimic!!!
    PA's etc doing beards should have those morphs already but don't
    it is one reason dynamic hair on mesh is so much better.

I started a thread in the commons on the topic!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Rottenham said:
    I will skip the caps for the time being. I will place the hair groups on the head itself.

For the moment I will not make long flowing tresses or ZZ Top beards, so collision, as I understand the term, will not be an issue.

Thanks.

Ha ha! You will back to the easiest way!
    For the ZZ Top beards, look this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKBl-E4tQZU

edited December 2013

Rottenham said:

Thanks.

Ha ha! You will back to the easiest way!
    For the ZZ Top beards, look this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKBl-E4tQZU

I will eventually figure it out. But not today.

Post edited by his x on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Rottenham said:

Sorry, what is LAMH?

Your explanation has the ring of truth. It was as if some of the morphs disappeared. This is undocumented territory.

What is strange about these Poser files is that they are not really files as we think of them, as they include references to other files. Worse, the references are relative rather than absolute. If you should delete or move any of these referenced files, you will regret it. This is taking some getting used to. I'm not accustomed to this, so I have moved or deleted some of my files freely, as I have learned to do with any Windows file. Now I'm paying for it.

I imported a cap cr2 file I made in Poser. I locked all the morphs, as I saw in a ToKoMotion video. Then I tried the DS cr2 exporter. Even though it says save as, it's an export filter, because it presents you with a dialog. It asks me for a path to the Runtime where the imported cr2 resides, when it should already know. Then it asks me where I want to save the exported file, when I have already told it. But this time it will not accept my original location. This time it will only accept a location within the runtime where the imported file originated. Egad! In the end it declined my instructions because it had some issue with the location of the obj file I used to create the original cr2!

Poser was originally a Mac program. You can see that in its legacy UI. I wonder if this non-standard file format may have been an attempt to force Mac conventions on a PC. It was conceived when RAM was $500 a meg, and a 350M hard drive was enormous, so it made sense at the time. To me, it's a burden. Carrara gives me the option to save a file and include all its dependent files. This makes for a large file, true, but I don't need to go through this endless file search and path declaration.

Amen. :long:

Don't put that theory on Macs. File referencing is quite common on all OSes. ;-) The asinine Runtime file structure is a purely Poser thing. Besides, I wouldn't diss the Mac too much as Raydream Studio (a direct ancestor of Carrara) started on the Mac, as did Photoshop, Flash, After Effects, Premier, etc. etc. :P

edited December 1969

Don't put that theory on Macs. File referencing is quite common on all OSes. ;-) The asinine Runtime file structure is a purely Poser thing. Besides, I wouldn't diss the Mac too much as Raydream Studio (a direct ancestor of Carrara) started on the Mac, as did Photoshop, Flash, After Effects, Premier, etc. etc. :P

When I look at the Poser UI, I see "Mac slept here."

At any rate, I found this. This could be useful for people who move their stuff all around. Like me. Any thoughts? The idea of converting to all absolute paths appeals to me. I've been doing "Save all internally," and this file is getting big. I'll have to use "Save all externally" in time.

I've got nearly a whole head full of non-cap hair now. I worked out with the hair tools, which I needed. My guy turned into a rockabilly. Reminds me of Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison. He'll be talking soon. Time to begin his squeeze.

truedev.jpg
    675 x 671 - 29K
    edited December 2013

Rottenham said:

When I look at the Poser UI, I see "Mac slept here."

Actually when you see the Poser UI you see, "Kai slept here." It is the same with Bryce and all the old Meta-Creations software (including Poser). Raydream was also Meta-creations for awhile, but was purchased by them, so it didn't have the Bryce and Poser UI. There is nothing Mac-like about the Poser UI. I can post tons of screen caps from simple consumer apps to pro-level apps to prove it if you'd like. Clearly you have little to no experience with Macs. I would encourage you to get to an Apple Store or some other place with current Macs and educate yourself. Even if you never intend to buy one, you'll at least have a better understanding of what you speak, and hopefully clear up some misconceptions that you've obviously picked up from Windows Fan-boys over the years.

A prime example of a Pro level App that started on the Mac is Photoshop, which I've used over the years. I challenge you to find Poser UI elements in Photoshop (unless it is a 3rd party plugin). I will swear in a court of law that PS has never had any UI elements like Poser.

Now, if you want to talk about drag and drop, and how annoying that is, then you can blame the Mac. ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 2013

Rottenham said:

At any rate, I found this. This could be useful for people who move their stuff all around. Like me. Any thoughts? The idea of converting to all absolute paths appeals to me. I've been doing "Save all internally," and this file is getting big. I'll have to use "Save all externally" in time.

I've got nearly a whole head full of non-cap hair now. I worked out with the hair tools, which I needed. My guy turned into a rockabilly. Reminds me of Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison. He'll be talking soon. Time to begin his squeeze.

Save Locally. Carrara will then reference the home locations of the image maps, etc. So yes, if you move them, you will need to find them again. If you use the Save Externally option, Carrara will ask you to save a shader for each and every shader and shader domain in your scene, which is extremely time consuming and not that intuitive as Carrara will pop open a save dialogue and automatically fill in the name as something like shader 1.tiff. You can rename it of course, and you can change the image type, but it takes forever. When you are done, it will essentially behave as the Save Locally option, in that it will reference the locations of the shaders you just saved, so if you move them, you will have to find them again.

I haven't really tried it, but maybe you could load in your figure, set the textures up the way you like and then save internally. Now, select the figure's model, and then the figure's shading tab. Now drag the multi-colored ball to whatever shader directory you want in the Shader Browser. Theoretically this should save a shader independent of the original image maps. You could test it by moving the folder with the original texture maps, load in a new figure and drag and drop the shader you just created onto the new figure. If Carrara doesn't ask you to find your original image maps you're golden. You could then save the new scene locally and it will reference the multi-channel shader you just created. If you move it, you should only have to look for the one Carrara shader as all the domains should be in that one file.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Clearly you have little to no experience with Macs.

True indeed. I've thought of buying a mini or building a Hackintosh to experiment with, maybe someday I will. Right now I'm a man on a mission, not likely to take on new endeavors. Yes, Kai's Power Tools! Slowly I turned! I've used the plugin.

I'm acquainted with Adobe's history. I'm a long time Corel user myself. I like Sony Movie Studio for compositing.

I'm disappointed to see what's happened to the software industry in the past ten years, and I'm not optimistic about where it's headed. I think big changes are in store for us.