[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 8 Female to Genesis 3 Female - Conv JCMs too[Commercial]

Comments

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

Great product, couldn't be easier.  I can't seem to get the eyes right though,  they look distorted. 

• ProPose said:

Great product, couldn't be easier.  I can't seem to get the eyes right though,  they look distorted. 

Which characters are you trying to convert?  Some extreme toon-like eyes are not going to convert over no matter what.  Also, having you been doing your conversion since the september update came out?  Sometimes if the eyes are bad, you should UNCHECK "Hide Eyes" option, CHECK "Use Legacy Conversion Process", and dial the TOLERANCE *way* down (like 0.0005).  You will need to find the FHM morphs in the file explorer and delete them if you try again though, as it is way faster to delete them from the file system than to use the "Overwrite Existing Morphs" option.  

(BTW, if you are using the current process, e.g., "Use Legacy Conversion Process" is UNCHECKED, the tolerance matters a lot less.  The current process does a better job for the majority of characters without having to fiddle with the tolerance, which is why it is the default.  However, for some eyes, it is better to use the legacy process and fiddle with the tolerance.

the first one was ChanelHD and then EsmeHD.  And a bunch of my own custom G8F characters which were derived using the various morph packs(mostly Zev0 Morphs)

ProPose said:

(BTW, if you are using the current process, e.g., "Use Legacy Conversion Process" is UNCHECKED, the tolerance matters a lot less.  The current process does a better job for the majority of characters without having to fiddle with the tolerance, which is why it is the default.  However, for some eyes, it is better to use the legacy process and fiddle with the tolerance.

The only thing I changed frome the default settings is the tolerence set to .001.  I figured the tighter the tolerence the beter the conversion,  but maybe I'm wrong. 

• ProPose said:

the first one was ChanelHD and then EsmeHD.  And a bunch of my own custom G8F characters which were derived using the various morph packs(mostly Zev0 Morphs)

I don't have either of those.  But looking at the pictures, neither of those should be giving you problems.

ProPose said:
    ProPose said:

The only thing I changed frome the default settings is the tolerence set to .001.  I figured the tighter the tolerence the beter the conversion,  but maybe I'm wrong. 

Yes, the tighter tolerance is usually better.  When you change the tolerance, are you deleting the old morphs?  By default, morphs won't be overwritten so any changes to the tolerance won't matter.  (BTW, Are you having a problem with the morphs or the textures?)

edited October 2019

Textures not a problem.  Morphs not a problem.  I transfer one character at a time, cause I don't really own that many G8F characters.  The ones that I'm happy with (G3F characters) end up in the same folder as the origional G8F version aranging the folder structure similar to other PA products that provide a character preset for both G8 and G3 Female.  Am I making sence?  Anyways, it would ben nice if your script would also convert the materials presets from G8F to G3F

edit to add

I only use 4 Content folders: 1.  Which I call "Daz Essentials". That has all my scripts and default daz stuff.  2.  G3&G8 Base female.  I add or delete morph packages as I need. 3.  The G8F character to be converted, which gets deleted when complete.  4.  The Output Content library for the completed conversion.  All the content in this folder gets added to the origional G8F character, for archiving.

This way I end up with a charcter with a minimal amount of morphs to create the character, cause the end result is used in Carrara which saves the character with all the morphs (applied or not) which results in a character that is 100mb + in size.

Post edited by ProPose on
  • ProPose said:

Textures not a problem.  Morphs not a problem. 

I thought you were having a problem with the eyes?  I was asking which, textures or morphs, are the problems with the eyes.

ProPose said:

I transfer one character at a time, cause I don't really own that many G8F characters.  The ones that I'm happy with (G3F characters) end up in the same folder as the origional G8F version aranging the folder structure similar to other PA products that provide a character preset for both G8 and G3 Female.  Am I making sence?  Anyways, it would ben nice if your script would also convert the materials presets from G8F to G3F

edit to add

I only use 4 Content folders: 1.  Which I call "Daz Essentials". That has all my scripts and default daz stuff.  2.  G3&G8 Base female.  I add or delete morph packages as I need. 3.  The G8F character to be converted, which gets deleted when complete.  4.  The Output Content library for the completed conversion.  All the content in this folder gets added to the origional G8F character, for archiving.

This way I end up with a charcter with a minimal amount of morphs to create the character, cause the end result is used in Carrara which saves the character with all the morphs (applied or not) which results in a character that is 100mb + in size.

I was refering to the eye geometry itself.  Looking at it in tex/wireframe in the preview window the eyes look distorted, the inner part of the eye intersects the outer eye or vise versa.  I delete all the failed attempts but I'll try and recreate and post a screenshot

• ProPose said:

I was refering to the eye geometry itself.  Looking at it in tex/wireframe in the preview window the eyes look distorted, the inner part of the eye intersects the outer eye or vise versa.  I delete all the failed attempts but I'll try and recreate and post a screenshot

Ok, so it is the morphs.  Set the tolerance using the legacy process (and unchecked hide eyes) EVEN lower.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679

(Originally posted in a separate thread, because this one didn't turn up in a search. Surprise ... )

I'm a little puzzled. The converter shows up in Smart Content, under Utilities, if a G8F figure is selected; however, if a G3F figure is selected, it disappears from Smart Content. Bug or 'feature?'" Since the instructions are to select the G8 figure first, then Ctrl+select the G3 figure, that means the utility will always disappear when the correct process is followed. The only alternatives I see are to either turn off filtering of content, or to use the regular Content Library and hunt down the script. Any chance this will be corrected?

• Ptrope said:

(Originally posted in a separate thread, because this one didn't turn up in a search. Surprise ... )

I'm a little puzzled. The converter shows up in Smart Content, under Utilities, if a G8F figure is selected; however, if a G3F figure is selected, it disappears from Smart Content. Bug or 'feature?'" Since the instructions are to select the G8 figure first, then Ctrl+select the G3 figure, that means the utility will always disappear when the correct process is followed. The only alternatives I see are to either turn off filtering of content, or to use the regular Content Library and hunt down the script. Any chance this will be corrected?

You need to report this to Daz.  They set up the Smart Content when they package the product.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575

...just picked this up.  Looking forward to the results.

• kyoto kid said:

...just picked this up.  Looking forward to the results.

I hope you like it!

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,376

Hi Riversoft, thanks very much for this neat product! I've just gotten it in MM 2020. It's generally working fine, I'm having problems with the eyes though, too, unfortunately. Maybe you'd care to have a look at the thread I put up on this? That would be really nice. Best, wishes and stay safe!

Thread's here:https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/395331/help-needed-character-converter-g8f-to-g3f

• mrinalmrinal Posts: 641

I have also faced similar issues with regards to conversion of the eyes. It doesn't happen for all characters though. I was wondering if it would be possible to override/disable the conversion of eyes with a default G3 eyes setup for cases where this is problematic.

mrinal said:

I have also faced similar issues with regards to conversion of the eyes. It doesn't happen for all characters though. I was wondering if it would be possible to override/disable the conversion of eyes with a default G3 eyes setup for cases where this is problematic.

I was thinking along the same lines, a morph that just re-sets the iris and cornea and these inner eye thingies. Since I don‘t know what the conversion exactly does with the G3 eyes though, unfortunately I wouldn‘t know how to sort of back trace that process. Maybe there would be a way to just zero the eyes exclusively after the conversion?

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,369

Hi Riversoft, thanks very much for this neat product! I've just gotten it in MM 2020. It's generally working fine, I'm having problems with the eyes though, too, unfortunately. Maybe you'd care to have a look at the thread I put up on this? That would be really nice. Best, wishes and stay safe!

Thread's here:https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/395331/help-needed-character-converter-g8f-to-g3f

I would not go to tolerance 0.  A very low tolerance, 0.0005, but not lower.  There will be slight distortions in the eyes no matter what. Also, remember to delete the morphs before converting the head again as that is faster and you ensure the old, "bad" morph is gone.  You can just delete the FHM morph and leave the others, with "Overwrite morphs" unchecked it will be faster.  The morphs are in data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs under the FIRST directory for Daz Studio Formats specified in the Content Directory Manager

mrinal said:

Unfortunately, you cannot just not convert the eyes, the eyes are part of the head morph (usually starts with an FHM in the name).

mrinal said:

I was thinking along the same lines, a morph that just re-sets the iris and cornea and these inner eye thingies. Since I don‘t know what the conversion exactly does with the G3 eyes though, unfortunately I wouldn‘t know how to sort of back trace that process. Maybe there would be a way to just zero the eyes exclusively after the conversion?

If you have the ability and the software, you could probably make a morph that targets the eyes after conversion but that is beyond the scope of this product.

I would not go to tolerance 0.  A very low tolerance, 0.0005, but not lower.  There will be slight distortions in the eyes no matter what. Also, remember to delete the morphs before converting the head again as that is faster and you ensure the old, "bad" morph is gone.  You can just delete the FHM morph and leave the others, with "Overwrite morphs" unchecked it will be faster.  The morphs are in data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs under the FIRST directory for Daz Studio Formats specified in the Content Directory Manager

Thanks, I will definitely try setting the tolerance a tiny bit higher. I also understand that it‘s not possible to completely spare the eyes. Nevertheless, I would still really like to understand what it is that actually happens in between converting from G8 to G3 or vice versa that makes the eyes such a problem. But that is probably beyond the scope of this thread. Anyways, the faces I‘ve done so far turned out really nice apart from the eyes, so thanks again for that!

edited March 2020

Thanks, I will definitely try setting the tolerance a tiny bit higher. I also understand that it‘s not possible to completely spare the eyes. Nevertheless, I would still really like to understand what it is that actually happens in between converting from G8 to G3 or vice versa that makes the eyes such a problem. But that is probably beyond the scope of this thread. Anyways, the faces I‘ve done so far turned out really nice apart from the eyes, so thanks again for that!

My theory for why eyes are a problem is that there are just many more polygons for the eyes in G2M (left) compared to G8M (right).  The transfer process just does not have a lot to work with.  It should still do a better job with normal eyes though.  Please try again.  

G2M Left, G8M Right Hidden Line Wireframe.jpg
    2122 x 1191 - 759K
    Post edited by RiverSoft Art on

My theory for why eyes are a problem is that there are just many more polygons for the eyes in G2M (left) compared to G8M (right).  The transfer process just does not have a lot to work with.  It should still do a better job with normal eyes though.  Please try again.  

Thanks again, from the file you attached I think I can see exactly where my problem is happening. It‘s this little ring of polygons inside G3‘s iris which simply isn‘t there in G8. This is what sort of sticks out a little after the conversion process. Great to know! I shall try and figure something out.

Thanks again, from the file you attached I think I can see exactly where my problem is happening. It‘s this little ring of polygons inside G3‘s iris which simply isn‘t there in G8. This is what sort of sticks out a little after the conversion process. Great to know! I shall try and figure something out.

From the converter, the only thing you can try is tolerance and the different methods.

Thanks again, Riversoftart, will try that too! Right now, I’m still trying to get the zero tolerance morph setting to work eye-wise, because it looks real good on the face.

Just for everyone who might have the same problem, I’ve been fiddling around a little and found that that broken ring within the iris almost completely disappears if I put a smoother on G3 after morphing. Will try to bake that, maybe exclusively to the eyes, and see where that takes me. Looks really promising though.

Also, there‘s a tutorial on Youtube on how to remove morphing errors which could possibly work quite well here - only the eyes are within such a dense mess of morph targets that one simply cannot separate them properly to delete the deltas. Will try with upscaling the figure maybe.

Thanks again, Riversoftart, will try that too! Right now, I’m still trying to get the zero tolerance morph setting to work eye-wise, because it looks real good on the face.

Just for everyone who might have the same problem, I’ve been fiddling around a little and found that that broken ring within the iris almost completely disappears if I put a smoother on G3 after morphing. Will try to bake that, maybe exclusively to the eyes, and see where that takes me. Looks really promising though.

Also, there‘s a tutorial on Youtube on how to remove morphing errors which could possibly work quite well here - only the eyes are within such a dense mess of morph targets that one simply cannot separate them properly to delete the deltas. Will try with upscaling the figure maybe.

Thank you so much for sharing!

You‘re very welcome, thanks to you for being so supportive, especially with an older product!

I‘ve found a very simple solution for the iris problem now, just to wrap this up: the iris realism bulge and depth morphs for G3 by j.cade over at ShareCG. Either of these eliminates the ‚break ring‘ distortion completely, even if only applied at 10 or 20%. Works like a charm! So now one can convert G8 characters with zero tolerance, making them really unbelievably close to the original, and afterwards get rid of the distortion via the iris realism morph. (Oh, one might also need to do some tweaking of the teeth in the end, because they get a bit distorted as well. But that‘s easily done (and I never render open mouths anyway ;-)).

Maybe some day someone wants to look into this in depth, just to see if something like these morphs could be used to prevent such distortions altogether. As for me, right now I’m completely satisfied with the way my characters turn out. Yay! (•runs off happily to convert more characters*)

You‘re very welcome, thanks to you for being so supportive, especially with an older product!

I‘ve found a very simple solution for the iris problem now, just to wrap this up: the iris realism bulge and depth morphs for G3 by j.cade over at ShareCG. Either of these eliminates the ‚break ring‘ distortion completely, even if only applied at 10 or 20%. Works like a charm! So now one can convert G8 characters with zero tolerance, making them really unbelievably close to the original, and afterwards get rid of the distortion via the iris realism morph. (Oh, one might also need to do some tweaking of the teeth in the end, because they get a bit distorted as well. But that‘s easily done (and I never render open mouths anyway ;-)).

Maybe some day someone wants to look into this in depth, just to see if something like these morphs could be used to prevent such distortions altogether. As for me, right now I’m completely satisfied with the way my characters turn out. Yay! (•runs off happily to convert more characters*)

Wow, that is fantastic.  I will have to try it.  Can you post a pic?

Sure can! I'm attaching a couple of comparisons, all figures are labelled for clarity. With this figure morph (Albany by Mousso), the distortion is white (other times it's black), it's this white ring inside the eye which looks like I've painted it in real badly ;-) 

Have taken all lashes off for better visibility. Also, the renders are just baked for a few minutes as I didn't have the time to finish them, my poor iMac takes rather long with multiple figures. So that's why the reflections are still very hard and lots of noise visible. Main point is quite clear though I think - almost no eye distortion left!

G8G3Conversion01.jpg
    800 x 640 - 479K
    G8G3Conversion02.jpg
    800 x 640 - 556K

Sure can! I'm attaching a couple of comparisons, all figures are labelled for clarity. With this figure morph (Albany by Mousso), the distortion is white (other times it's black), it's this white ring inside the eye which looks like I've painted it in real badly ;-) 

Have taken all lashes off for better visibility. Also, the renders are just baked for a few minutes as I didn't have the time to finish them, my poor iMac takes rather long with multiple figures. So that's why the reflections are still very hard and lots of noise visible. Main point is quite clear though I think - almost no eye distortion left!

Those are fabulous!  Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome, glad I could help some.