[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 8 Female to Genesis 3 Female - Conv JCMs too[Commercial]

Comments

• Before I am allowed to create a Character file for the "\Genesis 3 Female\Characters\" folder DAZ required me to create a <figure>.duf in the "T:\3D Stuff\DAZ Content\Figures\" folder. I assumed that all other necessary files had been created already. But, the files are small and I only have five characters to convert so this was not that big a deal. If I double-click the figure file for one of the characters it creates a new complete figure, it does not ask if I want to apply it to the current G3F figure. While the Figures folder shows up in my Content list I never use it (so far). The character file in the G3F characters folder now works as expected.

Still I thank you for your patience over my stupidity. I am not a novice, but I am a long way from being a DAZ adept or Content Provider. This is just a COVID19 hobby. I must rely on such products as yours to get what I want/need when such things are not available otherwise.

• Cypher23_ecdc11fbdb said:

Before I am allowed to create a Character file for the "\Genesis 3 Female\Characters\" folder DAZ required me to create a <figure>.duf in the "T:\3D Stuff\DAZ Content\Figures\" folder. I assumed that all other necessary files had been created already. But, the files are small and I only have five characters to convert so this was not that big a deal. If I double-click the figure file for one of the characters it creates a new complete figure, it does not ask if I want to apply it to the current G3F figure. While the Figures folder shows up in my Content list I never use it (so far). The character file in the G3F characters folder now works as expected.

Still I thank you for your patience over my stupidity. I am not a novice, but I am a long way from being a DAZ adept or Content Provider. This is just a COVID19 hobby. I must rely on such products as yours to get what I want/need when such things are not available otherwise.

It might have been more that it needed the folder?  I am not sure.

No, I am happy to help.  There are plenty of areas in DS where I am still a complete noob! laugh DS is a big program.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited October 2021

I really wish I could find a way to convert Thorne's Lara character. I've tried many time to no avail. In RiverSoft Art's defense, I knew this coming in as he clearly states that stylized eyes can be a problem.

I just still wish that  could figure out how to make this conversion possible. Any help at all with this, if any of you have ideas, is graciously welcome!

After scouring the store over and over, I cannot sem to find a worthy substitute for her face in any of the earlier generations. There are great ones, yes. But Lara has specific facial shapes that really help my character look the way I want her to look.

I've tried mixing a little Star 2.0 with Keiko and other stylized (along with realistic) shapes, but I really love this face!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited November 2021

Wow. Nevermind.

I pulled out the User's Manual for the product again and realized that I was trying this All Wrong!

Just like the book says: Use "Legacy" conversion (Large Eye Syndrome) and I ran it at a suggested 0.09 using the Custom Character this time, instead of a saved Character Preset (Actor), and my whole G8F character came through beautifully!!! 

She's Awesome!!!

Rosie 782.png
    1280 x 1280 - 2M
  • RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,344
    edited November 2021

Dartanbeck said:

Wow. Nevermind.

I pulled out the User's Manual for the product again and realized that I was trying this All Wrong!

Just like the book says: Use "Legacy" conversion (Large Eye Syndrome) and I ran it at a suggested 0.09 using the Custom Character this time, instead of a saved Character Preset (Actor), and my whole G8F character came through beautifully!!! 

She's Awesome!!!

Fantastic! laugh  I am glad you got it working for your character, though I would use an even lower value 0.0005.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
    edited November 2021

Cool, Thanks! I will!

She's still early in the making so I can fidget a bit ;)

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, if I make a new master morph, anything made using that morph will update to using that, right? As long as the names and locations remain the same?

So here's what this whole thing was about - a Genesis 1 super hero.

These aren't pics of her super hero persona - just her. After converting my whole Genesis 8 custom character to Genesis 3 Female (the one just above this post), I decided that I'd use a different approach for the Genesis 1 version:

Simply use what I've just learned to transfer Lara. I need Sol too, but she's not stylized, so I had her done long ago.

Lara came across pretty decent, but with some blemishes around her eye sockets. So I'm looking forward to trying at different strengths.

But once I transferred her (just her head) over to Genesis 1 using GenX2, she seems to look pretty darned spiffy!!!

By the way, 

Thanks for all of this and also for your absolute, undying support for your product - even though it truly already does exactly as advertised, you still go far beyond to assist with 'outside the box' issues. You ROCK RiverSoft Art!!!  yes

I should also add that - yes, they do Not look the same. Once I had her into Genesis 1, I finished sculpting her further. She's also wearing V4 Elite: Reby Sky texture maps, which is more fitting since she's not overly young - though she does appear to humans to be a Lot younger than she actually is.

The Reby Sky maps are actually perfect for her - more rough n' ready for the warrior she has to be ;)

• Dartanbeck said:

Cool, Thanks! I will!

She's still early in the making so I can fidget a bit ;)

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, if I make a new master morph, anything made using that morph will update to using that, right? As long as the names and locations remain the same?

So here's what this whole thing was about - a Genesis 1 super hero.

These aren't pics of her super hero persona - just her. After converting my whole Genesis 8 custom character to Genesis 3 Female (the one just above this post), I decided that I'd use a different approach for the Genesis 1 version:

Simply use what I've just learned to transfer Lara. I need Sol too, but she's not stylized, so I had her done long ago.

Lara came across pretty decent, but with some blemishes around her eye sockets. So I'm looking forward to trying at different strengths.

But once I transferred her (just her head) over to Genesis 1 using GenX2, she seems to look pretty darned spiffy!!!

By the way, 

Thanks for all of this and also for your absolute, undying support for your product - even though it truly already does exactly as advertised, you still go far beyond to assist with 'outside the box' issues. You ROCK RiverSoft Art!!!  yes

Beautiful image and animation!  You're welcome on the support!

If you want to try again, I recommend copying your existing converted morphs out so they are preserved and not overwritten.  Overwriting morphs in DS is sloooOOOOOOoooow, and anyway you would want to be able to revert to this one if the new ones are not better.

Good plan!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 2021

...update See below:. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 2021

...OK finally think I figured it out as I had things mixed up as to where items needed to go, however it didn't go as smooth as I hoped. 

Part of it may be because I have a custom setup as my content library is on a separate drive and I don't download any content to the C:/boot drive as it is only 240 GB and intended just for the OS programme files and system processes/utilities. I also don't use the "My Library" folder  for anything but saved scenes (I reroute all saved presets to the Presets folder in the D:/Daz3D/Library tree as I prefer having all content related files readily accessible in the content tab).  This setup has worked lawlessly  for years.. 

OK with that in mind again I finally figured out the process after a bit of trial and error.   The part that kept throwing me in the instructions was the statement on the second page where it mentioned the pathname as "/People/Genesis/Female/Characters (for G3F to G8F)" so I kept reversing the order. When I clicked on "Add Files" I was automatically taken to the "My Library" folder which again I only use for saved scenes and scene subsets which just added to the confusion.  Unlike the Install Manager and Content in Preferences tab of the programme. there seems to be no way to change this path if you have a custom library/runtime instead of the default setup.

I decided to set the Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/characters folder as the output folder to see what would happen  and only transferred a couple character.  Apparently that turned out to be the right procedure. The process finished without a hitch, or so I thought until I experimented with loading one fo the converted characters.  I noticed that the physique was nothing near to what it should have been. I tried the others as well and all loaded in with the same issue being was heavier than their G8F versions.  When I attempted to use a few morphs they didn't seem to have much effect and I ended up with distortion in some cases, particularly in the chest area, which didn't occur with the G8 versions. . Not sure what caused this.  So I deleted the converted characters from the folder. and will try again later.  Really want thi to work as I don't have the resources to "retool" with G8 to the extent where I have G3 at.

I also have the G8 to G3 clothing conversion scripts (M & F) and had no trouble with them.

• Tanis VoltaTanis Volta Posts: 550

I have a problem. Converter from G8 female to G3 female asks for unlimited updates and is never finished. Someone else has this problem?

kyoto kid said:

...OK finally think I figured it out as I had things mixed up as to where items needed to go, however it didn't go as smooth as I hoped. 

Part of it may be because I have a custom setup as my content library is on a separate drive and I don't download any content to the C:/boot drive as it is only 240 GB and intended just for the OS programme files and system processes/utilities. I also don't use the "My Library" folder  for anything but saved scenes (I reroute all saved presets to the Presets folder in the D:/Daz3D/Library tree as I prefer having all content related files readily accessible in the content tab).  This setup has worked lawlessly  for years.. 

OK with that in mind again I finally figured out the process after a bit of trial and error.   The part that kept throwing me in the instructions was the statement on the second page where it mentioned the pathname as "/People/Genesis/Female/Characters (for G3F to G8F)" so I kept reversing the order. When I clicked on "Add Files" I was automatically taken to the "My Library" folder which again I only use for saved scenes and scene subsets which just added to the confusion.  Unlike the Install Manager and Content in Preferences tab of the programme. there seems to be no way to change this path if you have a custom library/runtime instead of the default setup.

I decided to set the Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/characters folder as the output folder to see what would happen  and only transferred a couple character.  Apparently that turned out to be the right procedure. The process finished without a hitch, or so I thought until I experimented with loading one fo the converted characters.  I noticed that the physique was nothing near to what it should have been. I tried the others as well and all loaded in with the same issue being was heavier than their G8F versions.  When I attempted to use a few morphs they didn't seem to have much effect and I ended up with distortion in some cases, particularly in the chest area, which didn't occur with the G8 versions. . Not sure what caused this.  So I deleted the converted characters from the folder. and will try again later.  Really want thi to work as I don't have the resources to "retool" with G8 to the extent where I have G3 at.

I also have the G8 to G3 clothing conversion scripts (M & F) and had no trouble with them.

I apologize!  I never saw this message.  I hope you got everything working.

EquisVoid said:

I have a problem. Converter from G8 female to G3 female asks for unlimited updates and is never finished. Someone else has this problem?

I don't know what you mean with "asks for unlimited updates"?  DIM won't install it?  Or are you talking about the conversion, which shouldn't have anything to do with updates?  What exactly are you doing?  What does the log say?

edited May 2022

RiverSoftArt said:

kyoto kid said:

...no problem, as i mentioned I figured it out and it works fine now.

One other question, can I transfer 8.1 characters, as supposedly the mesh is the same just that they use the PBR textures and the mapping on the neck is slightly different.  As G3 and G8 use the same map (I also have Zev0's skin builder) I imagin I should have no issue with applying skins.

kyoto kid said:

RiverSoftArt said:

kyoto kid said:

...no problem, as i mentioned I figured it out and it works fine now.

Oh good! smiley

One other question, can I transfer 8.1 characters, as supposedly the mesh is the same just that they use the PBR textures and the mapping on the neck is slightly different.  As G3 and G8 use the same map (I also have Zev0's skin builder) I imagin I should have no issue with applying skins.

I do not think so, but I have not actually tested it.

...thanks waiting for the result.  There are a few interesting 8.1 characters.  I only go after the more unusual and unique ones like I did with G8 and convert them to G3. Jut grew tired of "retooling" for every new generation every few years as I custom develop my own characters so I need a lot of merchant resource content, which every few years has become increasingly difficult to manage on my now very limited budget (on a retirement pension). 

I find the clothing and character converters very valuable resources to help keep costs down. 

kyoto kid said:

...thanks waiting for the result.  There are a few interesting 8.1 characters.  I only go after the more unusual and unique ones like I did with G8 and convert them to G3. Jut grew tired of "retooling" for every new generation every few years as I custom develop my own characters so I need a lot of merchant resource content, which every few years has become increasingly difficult to manage on my now very limited budget (on a retirement pension). 

I find the clothing and character converters very valuable resources to help keep costs down. 

I will be interested in your results (or lack thereof).  

That is exactly why I made the clothing and character converters... to help keep costs down and/or to keep favorite characters/items up to date with the latest generation.  I am glad they help you.

edited May 2022

...so have you been able to experiment transferring an 8.1 character?  I would think the base mesh should transfer as that hasn't changed between 8 and 8.1. only the UV but there are ways around that.

kyoto kid said:

...so have you been able to experiment transferring an 8.1 character?  I would think the base mesh should transfer as that hasn't changed between 8 and 8.1. only the UV but there are ways around that.

Sorry, I have not looked into it.  I have a lot of other things with higher priority right now.

...that's fine, no big rush. the characters I am interested in will be there.

• Ben OaksBen Oaks Posts: 57

I recently purchased this product, and converted quite a few characters with it. Awesome product, but I have a problem now. The JCMs for Collosus are now making my Base G3M deform when posed. I can manually fix it by setting the JCMs to zero, but I have to do it with every pose and it is quite annoying. Is there a way to delete these JCMs from G3M permanently? I have attached some images to see what I am talking about. Thanks in advance. 

B.PNG
    1224 x 886 - 270K
    A.PNG
    1215 x 782 - 278K
    edited May 2022

Ben Oaks said:

I recently purchased this product, and converted quite a few characters with it. Awesome product, but I have a problem now. The JCMs for Collosus are now making my Base G3M deform when posed. I can manually fix it by setting the JCMs to zero, but I have to do it with every pose and it is quite annoying. Is there a way to delete these JCMs from G3M permanently? I have attached some images to see what I am talking about. Thanks in advance. 

You can find the converted morphs in \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Male\Morphs (assuming you converted TO Genesis 3 Male) under the first directory listed in the Daz Studio Formats section of the Content Directory Manager:

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219

In the current versions of Daz Studio you can also get the location of morph files from the parameter Settings dialogue, launched by clicking the gear icon on the slider

• Ben OaksBen Oaks Posts: 57

RiverSoftArt said:

Ben Oaks said:

You can find the converted morphs in \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Male\Morphs (assuming you converted TO Genesis 3 Male) under the first directory listed in the Daz Studio Formats section of the Content Directory Manager:

Awesome!!! I deleted the folder, and all is back to normal. Thank you very much! Awesome product! 

Ben Oaks said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Ben Oaks said:

Awesome!!! I deleted the folder, and all is back to normal. Thank you very much! Awesome product! 

You're welcome! smiley

....so I picked up a G8.1 character during the sale (Pippy Fay) ran her through the G8 ► G3 conversion script. and it worked, well sort of.  While the character converted at the proper scale, the skin map skin map was off with the legs arms and head similar to the figure's defauly but the torso and back of the head was different so I had to use a G3 texture (Poppy which is a fae character).  Even though supposedly G3 and G8 use the same UV I kept getting errors about hierarchal issues trying to apply a G8 skin.  One very notable difference wad that the head scaling was smaller on the converted character (propagation at 0 while the G8.1 character defaults to 20).  The mouth and chin region is also slightly different (which can be corrected with a bit of morphing), however there are three slight indentations on each side of the head (see attached screenshot below),.two on the jaw and one on the temple, which I have no idea of how to fix.

So again it worked, well,  to an extent but the final result is unfortunately unusable due to those indentations.  Sad because the character is adorable but I don't have the financial resources to move into 8.1. considering that I never fully adopted G8 either for the same reason, save for the few "unique" characters . 

Fortunately I didn't spend very much as again I got the character at a significant discount during the Daz+ sale.

pippy fay conversion test.png
    714 x 914 - 353K

kyoto kid said:

....so I picked up a G8.1 character during the sale (Pippy Fay) ran her through the G8 ► G3 conversion script. and it worked, well sort of.  While the character converted at the proper scale, the skin map skin map was off with the legs arms and head similar to the figure's defauly but the torso and back of the head was different so I had to use a G3 texture (Poppy which is a fae character).  Even though supposedly G3 and G8 use the same UV I kept getting errors about hierarchal issues trying to apply a G8 skin.  One very notable difference wad that the head scaling was smaller on the converted character (propagation at 0 while the G8.1 character defaults to 20).  The mouth and chin region is also slightly different (which can be corrected with a bit of morphing), however there are three slight indentations on each side of the head (see attached screenshot below),.two on the jaw and one on the temple, which I have no idea of how to fix.

So again it worked, well,  to an extent but the final result is unfortunately unusable due to those indentations.  Sad because the character is adorable but I don't have the financial resources to move into 8.1. considering that I never fully adopted G8 either for the same reason, save for the few "unique" characters . 

Fortunately I didn't spend very much as again I got the character at a significant discount during the Daz+ sale.

Sorry.  All I can suggest is deleting the head morph (from Windows Explorer) and trying again with different options (and overwrite morphs is off)

edited June 2022

..but wouldn't that cause the head to remain the default G3 one which would mean either having to morph or sculpt the likeness from scratch? 

Also from which version, the G3 or G8.1 one?

ETA:

OK moved the head morphs to the desktop instead of deleting them (so I could put them back later) and the process crashed with the statments in the logfile:

16:36:48 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time): Unable to apply preset D:/DAZ 3D/Studio4/Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/Maelwenn/Pippy Fay/00 Pippy Fay Full Apply.duf
    16:36:48 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time): Execution Cancelled.
    16:36:48 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time): Execution Complete.

I had the "Overwrtie existing morps" and "Check content type" when adding foiles unchecked  Not sure what the "Tolerance" slidee is for.so didn;t mess with that.

Just before the process aborted I also noticed the depressions in the jaw and temple still appeared on the converted figure in the viewport. 

So definentely looks like a "no go"

kyoto kid said:

..but wouldn't that cause the head to remain the default G3 one which would mean either having to morph or sculpt the likeness from scratch? 

Also from which version, the G3 or G8.1 one?

ETA:

OK moved the head morphs to the desktop instead of deleting them (so I could put them back later) and the process crashed with the statments in the logfile:

16:36:48 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time): Unable to apply preset D:/DAZ 3D/Studio4/Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/Maelwenn/Pippy Fay/00 Pippy Fay Full Apply.duf
    16:36:48 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time): Execution Cancelled.
    16:36:48 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time): Execution Complete.

I had the "Overwrtie existing morps" and "Check content type" when adding foiles unchecked  Not sure what the "Tolerance" slidee is for.so didn;t mess with that.

Just before the process aborted I also noticed the depressions in the jaw and temple still appeared on the converted figure in the viewport. 

So definentely looks like a "no go"

I meant to delete the converted morph.  They always go in \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\Morphs under the first directory listed in the Daz Studio Formats section of the Content Directory Manager:

The Pippy Fay needs to be left alone.