?? Mutual Celebration ?? Challenged to a Software Duel ?? or Dual Software ??

Read an intriguing idea posted in another forum.  Thoughts?  Brainstorming?  Barnstorming?  (Barnstorming may be American slang - often referred to athletic or entertainment performers traveling from town to town providing local exhibitions).  Personally, I think it is a great idea, especially because I've been experimenting with ways to get my silly figures into Bryce.  Curious what others think.

Original post in Bryce forum by our very own UB - see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5040516/#Comment_5040516

Thanks for the votes so far, folks!  I always appreciate your artwork here, and for your help in voting.yes

I've heard this mentioned in the past, but I'm wondering if there is any support/enthusiasm for holding a joint Carrara-Bryce Challenge?

We could do it once per year.  Hosting would alternate between forums every year.

We could combine prizes, if Daz is willing.

The Carrara - Bryce Shootout.

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

I will start us off. 

I love this idea. I would prefer some sort of mutual admiration society rather than a shootout, if a shootout means competition between Brycers as a group against Carrarators a a group.  I would be likely to integrate elements of both programs, but no one should have to.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

there was the cripeman tutorial on how to use bryce to make hdri

there's some bryce shaders would be kewl to use in carrara.

it would be interesting to see what the new poser can do

does it half an autofit?

heard it uses cycles as it's pbr

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Yes, "Shootout" absolutely does mean a competition between Bryce and Carrara.  But the competition part between the two is mainly for bragging rights, as I envision individual winners similar to a normal Challenge.

There are lots of friendly competitions called "shootouts."

I think that calling it a "shootout" gives it a bit of an edge, and will help bring some welcome attention to both programs.

edited October 2019

With gratitude (and apologies) to Gary Larson:

Larson retired in 1995.  However, he made a brief reappearance by illustrating the cover of New Yorker magazine in 2003.  This excited his fans, but it was only that - an appearance.

I did a little photoshopping on his famous cover. :)

Last month, Larson announced his actual comeback.  Really looking forward to it!

Gary Larson New Yorker cover.jpg
    1566 x 2195 - 831K
    Gary Larson New Yorker cover_PSE changes.png
    1566 x 2195 - 5M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I've suggested this in the past as well    I think it's a wonderful idea.    Picking a time could be difficult.   Christmas is not a good time,  too much else going on  For the Northern half  ie US EUrope UK  middle of the year (July August) is holiday time    March is Daz March Madness     Maybe My/june time could be good.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

being from the southern most regions of the planet a 'shootout' to me just makes me think of all the school masacres in the northern part of the planet.. crying

sorry, to be a Debbie Downer frown

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

being from the southern most regions of the planet a 'shootout' to me just makes me think of all the school masacres in the northern part of the planet.. crying

sorry, to be a Debbie Downer frown

well I think Spaghetti westerns Clint Eastwood shooting up the bad guys wrecking the town

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited October 2019
    Mystarra said:

there was the cripeman tutorial on how to use bryce to make hdri

there's some bryce shaders would be kewl to use in carrara.

Some of the Bryce shaders converted so far

Bryce-Carrara shaders 1.png
    1577 x 1031 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

@Bunyip do you render them as maps?

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited October 2019

Hello Wendy, I export either a flat plane or a terrain obj from Bryce to get the texture map, then I import the texture map/s into the Carrara shader I am working on.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4487826/#Comment_4487826

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4499046/#Comment_4499046

Bryce-Carrara shaders 2.png
    2271 x 1033 - 3M
    Bryce-Carrara shaders 2b.png
    2256 x 1033 - 392K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119
    edited October 2019

_Could Be alright , then_        ,,)-v-(,,

Post edited by ed3D on
    edited October 2019
     1. countable noun
    A shoot-out is a fight in which people shoot at each other with guns.
    Three men were killed in the shoot-out.
    ...a bloody shoot-out between rival gangs that killed 18 people.
    2. countable noun
    In games such as football, a shoot-out or a penalty shoot-out is a way of deciding the result of a game that has ended in a draw. Players from each team try to score a goal in turn until one player fails to score and their team loses the game.
    The Danes won that UEFA tie in a shoot-out.
    COBUILD Advanced English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers

Could try instead    Showdown    Duel   face-off

And to get completely away from guns     we could   Cross Swords,  or Throw Down the Gauntlet

Post edited by Chohole on

how is this gonna work?

a combined render challenge?

the best hairy vegetable?  green skin shader? tee hee

Pam, what was the point to posting a dictionary definition - and a definition which didn't even include common modern usages of the term "shootout"?

For those folks who are apparently unfamiliar with how the term is typically used today, I went to the trouble to post a variety of modern usages for competitions.  I could have posted a hundred if I had taken more time.  Did you even click on any of them?

May-June works perfect for me, btw.

edited October 2019
    Post edited by Mistara on
    Mystarra said:

how is this gonna work?

The biggest challenge will be to get everyone on the same page.  smiley

People are triggered so easily these days.  I am not opposed to "showdown," if that is more acceptable.

I just want something that implies a bit more edge, with the sense that there is something extra at stake.  If we water it down, we will end up with merely a bigger version of a Carrara Challenge (that few people notice), and a Bryce Challenge (that few people notice).

Mystarra said:

how is this gonna work?

The biggest challenge will be to get everyone on the same page.  smiley

People are triggered so easily these days.  I am not opposed to "showdown," if that is more acceptable.

I just want something that implies a bit more edge, with the sense that there is something extra at stake.  If we water it down, we will end up with merely a bigger version of a Carrara Challenge (that few people notice), and a Bryce Challenge (that few people notice).

i'm bad that way too, i have 0 interest in lookin at post work, since day 1 os this hobby.

tee hee edgy different thing from edge play, i think is calledangel  

edited October 2019

@UnifiedBrain nice pun laugh

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited October 2019

Pam, what was the point to posting a dictionary definition - and a definition which didn't even include common modern usages of the term "shootout"?

For those folks who are apparently unfamiliar with how the term is typically used today, I went to the trouble to post a variety of modern usages for competitions.  I could have posted a hundred if I had taken more time.  Did you even click on any of them?

May-June works perfect for me, btw.

English definition from an British English dictionary,       not an American dictionary.    The UK do see things differently, heck where guns are concerned we do things differently. Shootout does tend to be used differently over here, almost always involves guns

banjos

watch out for crazy truck drivers!  wink

edited November 2019
    Chohole said:

English definition from an British English dictionary,       not an American dictionary.    The UK do see things differently, heck where guns are concerned we do things differently. Shootout does tend to be used differently over here, almost always involves guns

Just do a search.  The most common usage of "shootout" in British publications is BY FAR in hockey or soccer.  The term is mentioned in sports sections virtually every day.  Shootouts with guns are much more rare (fortunately).

Further, shootout has become a common term in all sorts of contests and reviews. 

These are all Australian publications:

Australian Cricket shootout

Australian tractor shootout

Bathurst 1000 Top Ten Shootout

Carrara Cup winner relieved to get in Porche Junior Shootout smiley

British publications:

Phone review shootout

British Gymnast shootout

British National Points Championship Shootout

British Superbike Shootout

Sorry to beat a dead horse.  The point I'm (hopefully) making is that worlwide, people are used to hearng the term "shootout" used as a reference to a competition.  I'm surprised that it has received negative feedback. surprise

Again, if showdown (or other name) works for more people, then I will adjust. smiley

never heard of Deep PEAT Introduction by Zivorad M Slavinski ~ which your links are directing me to.

but I can assure you that shootout is not a Cricket term... 

I'm guessing that you shot the horse dead before beating it.. surprise

edited November 2019

never heard of Deep PEAT Introduction by Zivorad M Slavinski ~ which your links are directing me to.

but I can assure you that shootout is not a Cricket term... 

I'm guessing that you shot the horse dead before beating it.. surprise

Sorry. Fixed it. smiley

I'm not suggesting that it is a normal cricket term - just that it is used occasionally in a cricket context, rugby, etc..

Actually, coming up with links is easy.  More like shooting fish in a barrel. smiley

it's not even used occasionally lol

the internet lies ~ as Don would say ~ Fake News laugh

I've just got to shoot off for a while now... I hear sirens surprise

• it's not even used occasionally lol

the internet lies ~ as Don would say ~ Fake News laugh

I've just got to shoot off for a while now... I hear sirens surprise

thats just me singing on the rocks with the other Harpies

• the internet lies ~ as Don would say ~ Fake News laugh

HAHAHA!  OK, you win, Stezza. smiley

It looks like my initial idea has been shot down, pun intended.  But I hope that we can move forward with some kind of combined Carrara/Bryce deal.  I think it would be good for both camps.

edited November 2019

Seeing as you strated it this time how about

We, the Carrara Forum, hereby Challenge you, the Bryce Forum, to a Software Render duel. To be held on the Neutral Ground of the Art Studio From from the (Insert date) till the (insert Date) This Showdown will respect the normal rules of the Daz 3d Forums and will be overseen by the Daz Forum Team to ensure that there is fair play.

Additional Rules for this Duel are as follows :-

The Gauntlet has been Thrown