FLUIDOS II for Daz Studio - update 2.2 [commercial]

Comments

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390

Alberto said:

By the way, Fluidos II (all editions) is about to be updated to v2.2. This is a tutorial for a rocket https://youtu.be/wK3vZr5Ikmg.

Neat! 

• Alberto said:

rirvinmoore_bce34b999f said:

Alberto said:

I want to buy Fluidos II for DAZ, but I can't tell if the "normal" version or the "lite" version is superior/newer. It says that lite is a newer version, and faster, but I also don't want to lose any functionality. What do you recommend?

The Lite (https://www.daz3d.com/fluidos-ii-for-daz-studio--lite-edition) is a reduced version of the normal (or complete) one (https://www.daz3d.com/fluidos-ii-for-daz-studio). The speed of Fluidos II Lite is the same as the Fluidos II normal version, but both are faster than the original Fluidos for Daz Studio plugin (https://www.daz3d.com/fluidos-for-daz-studio).

Thus the Fluidos II normal is the most complete version.

By the way, Fluidos II (all editions) is about to be updated to v2.2. This is a tutorial for a rocket https://youtu.be/wK3vZr5Ikmg.

Oh, good news! I've bought Fluidos II (full edition) but now, I'm trying to set it up and I just can't. I've tried both DazCentral and installing from within Daz Studio, on two different machines, but somehow it doesn't show up in Help -> About Installed Plugins. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

It cannot be installed from within Daz Studio, only the contents (shaders and scenes), but Daz Central should install the plugin. If you can, try to install Fluidos II via the DIM.

Thanks for your feedback and sorry about all the questions. I used Install Manager, and then tinkered with the settings for a bit. When I finally started the simulation, DAZ crashed immediately. This happened on both of my machines. You may have an idea of what the issue is, but I'll include the log from my Mac in case it helps.

txt
    txt
    mac log.txt
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,383

Alberto said:

Alberto said:

I want to buy Fluidos II for DAZ, but I can't tell if the "normal" version or the "lite" version is superior/newer. It says that lite is a newer version, and faster, but I also don't want to lose any functionality. What do you recommend?

The Lite (https://www.daz3d.com/fluidos-ii-for-daz-studio--lite-edition) is a reduced version of the normal (or complete) one (https://www.daz3d.com/fluidos-ii-for-daz-studio). The speed of Fluidos II Lite is the same as the Fluidos II normal version, but both are faster than the original Fluidos for Daz Studio plugin (https://www.daz3d.com/fluidos-for-daz-studio).

Thus the Fluidos II normal is the most complete version.

Oh, good news! I've bought Fluidos II (full edition) but now, I'm trying to set it up and I just can't. I've tried both DazCentral and installing from within Daz Studio, on two different machines, but somehow it doesn't show up in Help -> About Installed Plugins. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

It cannot be installed from within Daz Studio, only the contents (shaders and scenes), but Daz Central should install the plugin. If you can, try to install Fluidos II via the DIM.

Thanks for your feedback and sorry about all the questions. I used Install Manager, and then tinkered with the settings for a bit. When I finally started the simulation, DAZ crashed immediately. This happened on both of my machines. You may have an idea of what the issue is, but I'll include the log from my Mac in case it helps.

You're welcome! Don't hesitate to ask all you want to know about the plugin, please.

It seems an issue with OpenCL. Try again disabling OpenCL (Inside Advanced Settings of the Fluidos Domain).

• edited May 2022

Last night I got Fluidos working to my satisfaction. I've run into some issues with gravity and Body Force. After setting gravity to 0m/s^2, my fluid fell at the normal speed (or acceleration if you want to be technical.) Also, I found that it was hard to distinguish the effects of Body Force, negative or positive, for magnitudes less than 500 (I didn't really test anything in the 200-500 gap). I figured that anything greater than the gravity constant should cause the fluid to stick to the object, but this was not the case. Setting Body Force values to absolute maximum produced obvious effects, although too extreme to be really useful for my purposes and ended up crashing the program. But I also found that Body Force settings of the recommended 5-30 range did not really produce a noticeable effect. Still, I'm glad it's working now and this is a great tool to have.

Post edited by rirvinmoore_bce34b999f on
  • tfistfis Posts: 129
    edited June 2022

Alberto said:

Jovanni said:

Imago said:

It's really odd what I see on your clip, ususally the fluids on my scenes follows the objects way better... Perhaps you have to reduce to 0.50 the size of the domain in order to have more precision on the mesh, if not even lower. Notice that it wull take way more time for the simulation.
    if it doesn't do the trick yry enabling Viscosity. It's a pretty heavy feature so the simulation will take a bit longer also you have to fidget a bit with values in order to find your desired effect. Also add a small force on the mesh, it should help a bit keep the fluids "on place".

Hi Imago. Thank you for your reply
    I changed Cell size = 0.3. (The previous time it was =1). This did not help to solve the problem at all.
    The simulation took much longer (several hours), but the accuracy did not improve.
    I also tried increasing the FPS in the domain settings (from 24 frames to 96). That didn't help either. Changing the viscosity unfortunately didn't help either. With a static obstacle all is ok. Problems arise with a moving obstacle

https://youtube.com/shorts/_s8lvkf_C4M ;

Hi,has this issue been solved?

I'm interested in purchasing Fluidos II. But for animation purposes it's quite limited, if moving obstacles are not recognized correctly.

I also did see, that the version is for V4.20 only?

I'm still on 4.16, because it seems 4.20 has some bugs.

Thanks

Post edited by tfis on

tfis said:

Alberto said:

Jovanni said:

Imago said:

It's really odd what I see on your clip, ususally the fluids on my scenes follows the objects way better... Perhaps you have to reduce to 0.50 the size of the domain in order to have more precision on the mesh, if not even lower. Notice that it wull take way more time for the simulation.
    if it doesn't do the trick yry enabling Viscosity. It's a pretty heavy feature so the simulation will take a bit longer also you have to fidget a bit with values in order to find your desired effect. Also add a small force on the mesh, it should help a bit keep the fluids "on place".

Hi Imago. Thank you for your reply
    I changed Cell size = 0.3. (The previous time it was =1). This did not help to solve the problem at all.
    The simulation took much longer (several hours), but the accuracy did not improve.
    I also tried increasing the FPS in the domain settings (from 24 frames to 96). That didn't help either. Changing the viscosity unfortunately didn't help either. With a static obstacle all is ok. Problems arise with a moving obstacle

https://youtube.com/shorts/_s8lvkf_C4M ;

Hi,has this issue been solved?

I'm interested in purchasing Fluidos II. But for animation purposes it's quite limited, if moving obstacles are not recognized correctly.

I also did see, that the version is for V4.20 only?

I'm still on 4.16, because it seems 4.20 has some bugs.

Thanks

Fluidos II works on Studio 4.15. But Iray Volumetric Open VDB smoke needs Studio 4.20 (nevertheless, particles can be used to see the smoke).

The bug with obstacles was solved in v2.2, but it's advisable to use 60 frames per second in the simulation if the obstacles are moving fast.

edited June 2022

can be deleted

Post edited by tfis on
  • Hola Alberto,

Congratulations for the new version! Great job!

Please, could you detail or give examples of the changes in the fluid simulation?
    I've seen the list of changes but I would like to know in detail how they affect or how they can improve the current simulation.
    Also I think there should be a PDF of the new version when downloading it with DIM but I'm not able to find it, is there a new PDF for the new version or not?

Thanks a lot!

capitanharlock80 said:

Hola Alberto,

Congratulations for the new version! Great job!

Please, could you detail or give examples of the changes in the fluid simulation?
    I've seen the list of changes but I would like to know in detail how they affect or how they can improve the current simulation.
    Also I think there should be a PDF of the new version when downloading it with DIM but I'm not able to find it, is there a new PDF for the new version or not?

Thanks a lot!

Thank you!

The pdf should be inside your Daz Studio folder installation:  /DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/docs/Plugins/FLUIDOS II

You'll find the list of changes on the last page of the pdf. Clicking on the keywords will lead you to the corresponding sections explaining them.

By now, there are two new tutorials for this version: http://https://youtu.be/wK3vZr5Ikmg and https://youtu.be/C6bBsj38iZI

I'm waiting for DAZ to release the update to V2.2 for the other Fluidos II editions.

Version 2.2

Main changes:

• Fluid particles and Diffuse particles mesh types of meshers now allow the Preview option.
        • There is a new type of mesher: Volumetric OpenVDB.
        • There are new solvers  (APIC and GRID besides the old PIC/FLIP). 
        • New type of distribution of particles Narrow band.
        • New properties of the Domain: Enable saving Fog-type VDB Remove isolated particles and Updating ambient temperature.
        • New property of the meshers of type Fluid particles:  Lower temperature filter and the Higher temperature filter.
        • New properties of meshers Silence Progress dialog and Erosion of flames.

Note: Owners of Fluidos II upgraded from the Lite edition, please update your Fluidos II Lite content and plugin before updating the Fluidos II upgraded, But do not re-activate your copy of Fluidos II Lite.

There are two tutorials for the smoke and fire here, and they're coming more.

https://youtu.be/C6bBsj38iZI

https://youtu.be/wK3vZr5Ikmg

Hi,

does somebody know hot to makle a fluid stick to an object when the object is moving/rotating?

Hi viscosity and adding a force didn't help.

It seem there is no frcition between a fluid and the object.

Thanks in advance.

tfis said:

Hi,

does somebody know hot to makle a fluid stick to an object when the object is moving/rotating?

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

Use 60 frames per second or higher in Fluidos Domain, and a low CFL condition number to get more precision. Set Enable moving obstacles to On.

Enable Add Body force to get the fluid to stick to the obstacleOr a possibly better option is to create a Geoshell of the obstacle and use it as a Force field.  I uploaded here an example scene using a Force field.

duf
    duf
    Moving obstacle.duf
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,917

Alberto said:

Hi!

Use 60 frames per second or higher in Fluidos Domain, and a low CFL condition number to get more precision. Set Enable moving obstacles to On.

Enable Add Body force to get the fluid to stick to the obstacleOr a possibly better option is to create a Geoshell of the obstacle and use it as a Force field.  I uploaded here an example scene using a Force field.

If you bring the Offset to 10 the result on the sides of the cube will be better with the fluids "sticking" to the cube's walls.

• JovanniJovanni Posts: 87

I tried importing vdb files from blender. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I have 2 sequences.
    They are OBJ files and VDB files. I moved it all to the "bakefiles" folder but it didn't work. 

We have the ABAS plugin. It knows how to animate the texture sequence. Is it also possible to animate a sequence of OBJ files?
    The grid has a unique topology in each frame, so the Animorph plugin won't work. I'm just trying to find any way to move the simulation from blender to daz3d

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Jovanni said:

I tried importing vdb files from blender. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I have 2 sequences.
    They are OBJ files and VDB files. I moved it all to the "bakefiles" folder but it didn't work. 

We have the ABAS plugin. It knows how to animate the texture sequence. Is it also possible to animate a sequence of OBJ files?
    The grid has a unique topology in each frame, so the Animorph plugin won't work. I'm just trying to find any way to move the simulation from blender to daz3d

ABAS cannot animate sequenced OBJ files but can animate VDB files because the Simple OpenVDB MDL Volume shader read VDB files.

Fluidos II can read and animate VDB files also; maybe you need to rename the files. Could you take a snapshot of the sequence's filenames you want to animate?

Fluidos doesn't read OBJ files but can read .ply files of triangulated meshes.

Alberto said:

Jovanni said:

ABAS cannot animate sequenced OBJ files but can animate VDB files because the Simple OpenVDB MDL Volume shader read VDB files.

Fluidos II can read and animate VDB files also; maybe you need to rename the files. Could you take a snapshot of the sequence's filenames you want to animate?

Yes, of course. I attached a screenshot of the file names. There are only .vdb files in this folder

I checked the other folders and I can't find any .ply files. Blender doesn't seem to generate them

Folder_sim.jpg
    795 x 673 - 398K

Alberto said:

tfis said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

Thank you, your example did work, but the motion there is very slow. If it moves a little bit faster, the fluid just slips, even with 240fps anf [email protected].

duf
    duf
    fluidos.duf

tfis said:

Alberto said:

tfis said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

Thank you, your example did work, but the motion there is very slow. If it moves a little bit faster, the fluid just slips, even with 240fps anf [email protected].

Increase the force of the ForceField to your needs.

Jovanni said:

Alberto said:

Jovanni said:

Yes, of course. I attached a screenshot of the file names. There are only .vdb files in this folder

I checked the other folders and I can't find any .ply files. Blender doesn't seem to generate them

OK, for ABAS, you can use the list of vdb files as is.

For Fluidos II, you need to rename the files. I recommend Rename Master utility http://www.joejoesoft.com/vcms/108/. It's free.

The files should be renamed to fogfluid000000.vdb, fogfluid000001.vdb, fogfluid000002.vdb and so on.

This is an example:

Locate the files:

Click on Find and Replace and check it.

In the first box set the prefix of the series. In this case the filenames are "embergen_gasoline_explosion_a_0.vdb", "embergen_gasoline_explosion_a_1.vdb", thus the prefix is "embergen_gasoline_explosion_a_" (In your case the prefix is "fluid_data_").

In the second box set "fogfluid".

Click on Replace Numbers and check it. Left-click on the Count word and select Add Padding.

The padding for the Fluidos II vdb files must be of six "0" characters:

Click Rename to get the results.

If your series starts with a number different from zero, select the Counting tab and fix the value at start counting at. It must be "0" (In your case, this isn't necessary).

Copy the renamed vdb files to a subfolder named "bakefiles". In the mesher, set the Baked files folder to the parent folder (for example, select  "MySimulation" if the path of "bakefiles" is "/MySimulation/bakefiles"). 

About the ply files, in Blender, you have to export them manually. Be sure the Add-on "Export-import: Standford PLY format" is enabled.

RM1.png
    1186 x 1038 - 224K
    RM2.png
    1186 x 1038 - 181K
    RM3.png
    1186 x 1038 - 195K
    RM4.png
    480 x 403 - 22K
    RM5.png
    1186 x 1038 - 194K
    RM4b.png
    1186 x 1038 - 148K

Alberto said:

Copy the renamed vdb files to a subfolder named "bakefiles". In the mesher, set the Baked files folder to the parent folder (for example, select  "MySimulation" if the path of "bakefiles" is "/MySimulation/bakefiles"). 

About the ply files, in Blender, you have to export them manually. Be sure the Add-on "Export-import: Standford PLY format" is enabled.

Thank you for your explanations. I tried to do everything according to the instructions but unfortunately it did not help.
    After renaming the files I got a dialog box saying that the .vdb files were not found. With the old name format it was not a problem and Fluidos found the .vdb files, but after all the dialogs nothing happened.
    I chose a different folder for Domain. After executing all dialogs, typical folders were created in his folder, but they were all empty. I also tried making the same folders for Mesher and Domain.
    All in all, I haven't made any progress yet.  

Jovanni said:

Alberto said:

Thank you for your explanations. I tried to do everything according to the instructions but unfortunately it did not help.
    After renaming the files I got a dialog box saying that the .vdb files were not found. With the old name format it was not a problem and Fluidos found the .vdb files, but after all the dialogs nothing happened.
    I chose a different folder for Domain. After executing all dialogs, typical folders were created in his folder, but they were all empty. I also tried making the same folders for Mesher and Domain.
    All in all, I haven't made any progress yet.  

You don't need a Fluidos Domain to see your files (Moreover, if you run a simulation on the folder with your files, Fluidos will overwrite them).

Only create a Fluidos Mesher,  then:

1. Set the proper Baked files folder.
    2. Set Completion to 100 %  at the last frame and 0 % at the first frame. 
    3. Apply a VDB shader (there are some included in Fluidos II) to the Mesher.
    4. Enable the Mesher.

Alberto said:

tfis said:

Alberto said:

tfis said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

Thanks, but sorry. Didn't work. I tried a lot different values (up to 10000m/s²), but the fluid does not move with the object.
    It stays in place and the cube beneath just moves. :(

tfis said:

Alberto said:

tfis said:

Alberto said:

tfis said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

Thanks, but sorry. Didn't work. I tried a lot different values (up to 10000m/s²), but the fluid does not move with the object.
    It stays in place and the cube beneath just moves. :(

It works better for low obstacle velocities. You can

1. Simulate at low velocities and then render it at high fps.
    2. Another possibility is to combine the Force field with a force applied to the obstacle. The Force field should be thicker than in the previous scene. The attached "Moving obstacle 2.duf" is an example.
    3. A third case is using a Fluidos source attached to the obstacle. It always moves with the obstacle. The attached "Moving obstacle 3.duf" shows this method. There are two Fluid Domains pointing to different Baked files folders. The first Domain creates a puddle of water. A mesher pointing to this simulation is inside the second Domain, and is used as the geometry of a Fluid source (which Geometry type was set to Any node).

Notice the filters in the three scenes.

duf
    duf
    Moving obstacle 2.duf
    duf
    duf
    Moving obstacle 3.duf

Thanks for you reply, but these workarounds won't work for my purposes.

Another question @Alberto:

So you say it is not possible to start the simluation from another frame than frame number one  (someon else asked).

So if I have a 2000 Frame animation and need a fluidos simluation in frame 1245 to 1443 i have to:

1.) Run the simluation from 0-1443 and have to wait a couple of hours.
    2.) Divide the animation with pose presets to 0-1244, 1245-1443 (the Fluidos part) and then 1444 to 2000. After that I combine the frames in post.

1. doesn't work for obvious reasons, 2. is better, but camera movements and animated focal lengths seem no to be saved with pose presets.

BUT:

There is the possibility to resume a stopped simulation.
    How do I make Fluido believe it is resuming a simulation?
    Do i need some empty "fake" bake files to make fluidos think, there is data to continue with?
    Do I have to manipulate a log file, to tell fluidos it should start from frame number ### ?

Any hints?

Or can't you tell Fluidos to skip the frames, where are no particles to simulate an the emitter is off?

Thanks in advance.

tfis said:

Another question @Alberto:

So you say it is not possible to start the simluation from another frame than frame number one  (someon else asked).

So if I have a 2000 Frame animation and need a fluidos simluation in frame 1245 to 1443 i have to:

1.) Run the simluation from 0-1443 and have to wait a couple of hours.
    2.) Divide the animation with pose presets to 0-1244, 1245-1443 (the Fluidos part) and then 1444 to 2000. After that I combine the frames in post.

1. doesn't work for obvious reasons, 2. is better, but camera movements and animated focal lengths seem no to be saved with pose presets.

BUT:

There is the possibility to resume a stopped simulation.
    How do I make Fluido believe it is resuming a simulation?
    Do i need some empty "fake" bake files to make fluidos think, there is data to continue with?
    Do I have to manipulate a log file, to tell fluidos it should start from frame number ### ?

Any hints?

Or can't you tell Fluidos to skip the frames, where are no particles to simulate an the emitter is off?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's possible to stop and resume a simulation.

You can do this:

1. Create the Fluidos Domain for the scene you want, with all the settings you need, but do not include the sources (or set these disabled until the frames number 1243, and enabled at 1244),
    2. Set 1244 as the number of frames. (disable saving fog-type VDB to minimize the number of files that will be created) .
    3. Run the simulation. It won't last more than a few minutes because there is no fluid.
    4. If you didn't add the sources, do it now and set the number of frames in the Domain to 1443, and set enabled the saving fog-type VDB property if you want the smoke. 
    5. I suggest you to save a copy of the file "autosave.state" that is inside the "/savestates/" subfolder. It's useful if you want to repeat the simulation.
    6. Run the simulation, but enable Continue saved state. Now, the simulation will start at frame number 1433.
    7. In case you want to refine and repeat the simulation, replace the generated "autosave.state" with the copy you saved at the 5th step. Then you can repeat the 6th step.

As you see, it doesn´t work with objects set as fluid masses. But you can use a source to simulate an initial fluid mass. using Any node as the Geometry type of the source. Set the Object type of the desired geometric node to ignored. And enable the source only for the 1433rd frame number (set disabled at the 1434th frame).

Thank you.

It worked, but somehow the preview while simulating doesn't work properly (I mean the "full" preview, not the simplified).
    I think I'll stick with the "old" method, dividing the animation in parts.

Maybe an idea for an upcoming version to set a simluation range?
    (Setting the viscosity per emmiter and not globally would also be nice (and alter it with particle life)). :)

tfis said:

Thank you.

It worked, but somehow the preview while simulating doesn't work properly (I mean the "full" preview, not the simplified).
    I think I'll stick with the "old" method, dividing the animation in parts.

Maybe an idea for an upcoming version to set a simluation range?
    (Setting the viscosity per emmiter and not globally would also be nice (and alter it with particle life)). :)

I'll take into account your suggestions. However, setting the viscosity per emitter and controlling the viscosity by particle life is pretty difficult because the methods of simulation of Fluidos II aren't pure Particle-based, but hybrids of Particles and Grids. And the particles don't carry the viscosity information, but the grid.

Nonetheless, the viscosity can be varied by region of space and by time (the viscosity value is animatable). You could enclose an emitter in a Viscosity control object.

Here is a brief tutorial on the Viscosity control objects. It was for Fluidos 1.3, but the procedure is the same for Fluidos II:

Thanks for your reply. Got It.

Can you confirm that remeshing narrow band fluids (changing subdivision) level is destructive? I remeshed from 1 to 2 and then back but the result was different and i could'nt get the previous state (only with running the sim again).
    And I had lastly some crashes, because of a huge memory demand (more than 160GB). My system has 64GB, should be enough, i thought.
    I could only do a hard reset!

tfis said:

Thanks for your reply. Got It.

You're welcome!

tfis said:

Can you confirm that remeshing narrow band fluids (changing subdivision) level is destructive? I remeshed from 1 to 2 and then back but the result was different and i could'nt get the previous state (only with running the sim again).

No, The remeshing isn't destructive. However, I've noticed that sometimes, after doing multiple remeshing operations in a session, the new remeshings can yield the same results each time, regardless of the parameter changes. But it can be solved by restarting:  Save the scene, then close and restart Daz Studio, and do the remeshing again (no need for a new simulation).

tfis said:

And I had lastly some crashes, because of a huge memory demand (more than 160GB). My system has 64GB, should be enough, i thought.

I could only do a hard reset!

Using very small cell sizes can consume all the memory. Moreover, the simulation may take a very long time even if Studio doesn't crash.