[Released] ManFriday's Mesh Grabber [Commercial]

1252627282931»

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

Here is a screen recording of Mesh Grabber moving a G8F face around three times followed by three Ctrl-Z, which did sequential undos back to the original G8F face. This was recorded in DS 4.20.1.34 a few minutes ago. I have Mesh Grabber version 3.0.1. Is yours up to date? I don't know what would make it not work for you.

• lellelelle Posts: 5

barbult said:

Here is a screen recording of Mesh Grabber moving a G8F face around three times followed by three Ctrl-Z, which did sequential undos back to the original G8F face. This was recorded in DS 4.20.1.34 a few minutes ago. I have Mesh Grabber version 3.0.1. Is yours up to date? I don't know what would make it not work for you.

I will check my versions,  DAZ is 4.20.0.17

• I've used MG for hundreds of hours since Man Friday first released it. It is an essential tool for me. It works extremely well nearly all the time. Kudos to Man Friday for making such an excellent tool!

Nevertheless I have some issues with it.

(1) If I make a selection, then change the falloff radius, the control key does not let me move the tool without affecting the underlying surface. This results in pulling part of the surface away rather dramatically. There is a work-around: After changing the radius click on one of the gizmo's arrows and release it before depressing ctrl and reselecting an arrow. If I do that, the expected behavior occurs. If I could always pay very close attention to the gizmo while working I would see that after changing fall off radius, holding down the control key does not make the rotation circles disappear. Those circles disappearing indicates the gizmo can be moved without moving the surface.

(2) Sometimes undo does not work. That happens most often when, as described in (1), I am trying to move the gizmo without affecting the surface but MG does not enter that state and I end up pulling the grabbed surface away from the rest of the surface. If my move causes the surface to self-intersect, that seems to prevent an undo.  The work-around for that is to always Ctrl-S before starting on a sequence of MG operations because the only way to recover is to reload the file. Often I forget to that and then have to redo a very complicated sequence of MG ops.

(3) I very frequently use the geometry editor to hide polygons so they are unaffected by MG ops on adjacent primitives on the same surface. (By primitive I mean a polygon, an edge, or a vertex). However, if the hidden polygons are in front of the surface I want to manipulate, MG, grabs the closest primitive, hidden or not. Its usually easy to tell that has happened, because the yellowed primitive does not correspond to the one I am trying to select. By moving the camera around one can see that the yellowed primitive is in space in front of the nonhidden surface. The only work-around I know of is to carefully move the camera to a place where the primitive I want to grab is in front. That can be very difficult to do. For example, the shoulder joints on the G8 figures do not work as well as its other joints. In particular, If I place a character's arm behind its back laterally, the sides of the chest to not deform correctly which results in a noticeably unrealistic bend. I can use MG to fix that sometimes. But it is very tedious because such bends can cause knife-edge folds in the mesh -- folds in the surface -- that are difficult, if not impossible to get an unobstructed view of.

Suggestion for a future version of MG: Make hidden polygons invisible to MG's grab tool, not just to the user.

(4) My most wanted feature is the ability to reset the deltas on one part of a character or object without resetting all of them. It does not work to hide the polygons I want to save from resetting. Only the entire character can be reset. So that all the correct manipulations have to be repeated. I have lost hours of work that way because I forgot to save the scene before starting in on the next sequence of MG ops.

(5) Sometimes when doing an extremely complicated sequence of MG ops, Daz Studio crashes. It just disappears. It does not happen often and I do not know what causes it nor do I know how to make it happen.

(6) The main thing to remember (and I wish I could always remember) is to always save the scene before starting on a sequence of MG ops.

Again: many thanks to Man Friday for his invaluable contribution to Daz Studio!

• I've found a 100% repeatable bug with Mesh Grabber. I've tried searching to check whether this has been reported before, but Googling doesn't help, and much as I'd love to read all 31 pages here, I'll post the question before doing so, and see whether anyone can help or point me to where it's been previously discussed.

The isse occurs when using Mesh Grabber on a figure that has the New Gen for Victoria 8 anatomical add-on applied. After making any geometry adjustments to the figure (I've been using it to make small detail adjustments to the figure's face), the textures are lost from the New Gens. Removing and reloading the New Gens doesn't help - the gens are reapplied with the textures missing.

Could anyone suggest a fix for this? 

A workaround is possible, by removing the gens before doing the mesh editing and then reapplying them afterwards. But I just did a fair bit of work on the face mesh having forgotten to do this first - and would like to be able to fix the current figure, without having to go back to an earlier save and do the work again.

• ManFriday said:

@ManFriday is there way to remove all Mesh Grabber changes from an object, to restore its original shape?

Yes, select the object, right-click into the scene with the mesh grabber tool active, select "Reset mesh grabber (clear all deltas)".

Man Thank you! I was trying to fix a shirt a little while ago and when I finally removed it there was a giant hole in my dude's chest. 

• Is there a marquee selector available for Mesh Grabber? Also, I've often found myself accidentally de-selecting the faces and having to start the selection all over again, with no provision to undo the accidental de-selection as is possible with normal Geometry Editing.

• Hi,

I'm a MAC user. Before I buy I want to to check in and see if there what the current limits are regarding supported OS versions.

I'm on Monterey 12.6 right now. I want to avoid OS updates that break my tools, but do plan to keep up on security fixes.

If you have a place where this is published, please point me there (anyone?) and I'll check it out.

Thanks!

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,757

Hi @adiffer, I have a MacBookPro M1 with Monterey 12.6 installed and I have the Mac version of Mesh Grabber installed and have had no issues using it. It works just like my Windows versions on my other computers.

Mary

• Does MG work with Genesis 9?

• lamoid_5f20d3e469 said:

Does MG work with Genesis 9?

Yes it does. I used it yesterday to cover up a poke-through on V9.

• Excellent! Man Friday writes solid code.

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 549

Thank you, thank you! :-)

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

barbult said:

OK, thank you so much for answering, barbult. But, at present, Does Mesh Grabber have any morphs? I don't think so. If I do the morphs on a particular G8 male figure, will the morphs be saved along with that figure? I would want the morphs to be available to all the G8 male figures. I realize that this could be the case -- available to all -- even if the morphs were saved along with morphs for a particular G8 male. Is that what you're saying? The morphs would then be saved along with a particular G8 male figure, and they would also be available to all the G8 male figures? Or, are you saying something different from that?

Yes, the morphs you make on a specific G8 male will be available on all G8 males. BUT, they might not look "right", just like if you load Monique 8 and dial in Edie 8 Nose Small, it looks very strange. The morph is there and is usable, but not necessarily useful. It all depends on the morph. You can mix your own saved morphs along with any other morphs.

Change the skin colour to something green-ish and she would pass as some kind of ork mayhaps.. so "useful" is always depending on the result, I'd say... wink

• I'm having an issue installing mesh grabber on my Mac. When I'm in DIM the download failes 

• lamoid_5f20d3e469lamoid_5f20d3e469 Posts: 283
    edited November 2022

New meshgrabber problems. For some reason, my MG changes are not saving with a model or a scene. When I reload tthe scene, the changes are gone.  This just started. Also, the undo function is not working. Is anyone else having these problems?

Update. I opened a new scene. I put a 1m x 1m plane primitive in it. Then I used MG to grab the center vertex an pull it up until the plane became a mound or a hill shape. Then I saved it as a scene. Then I reloaded it. The morph was gone. just a flat plane again. 

I've tried loading files that worked before and all the deltas are gone. This will be devastating to my work if I cannot get it fixed. Years of work and many thousands of MG tweaks all lost.

This happens with either 4.16 or or 4.21. I have both installed in different locations and they have been working with MG just fine for months (although 4.21 is extemely slow at rendering compared to 4.16).

The logs may offer a clue to one of you who understands the inner workings of the program better than I. When I open either version of DS I get 35 messages like this one:

2022-11-21 16:38:55.510 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\general\dzcorefactories.cpp(892): Duplicate GUID (d29504f2-0be0-41bf-8acc-ae321515f6f8) passed to DzCoreFactories::addClassFactory(): MgModifier <-> MgModifier

There are numerous other plugin errors having to do with avcodec-58.dll, avformat-58.dll, and avutil-56.dll like this one:

2022-11-21 16:38:55.540 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - PLUG:PLUGIN ::   0.0   PLUG   plug error: Library C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4.21\libs\iray\avcodec-58.dll: symbol "mi_plugin_factory" not found.

and others like this:

2022-11-21 16:38:55.560 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - PLUG:PLUGIN ::   0.0   PLUG   plug error: Library C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4.21\libs\iray\swresample-3.dll: symbol "mi_plugin_factory" not found.

Then finally I get to

2022-11-21 16:38:55.919 [INFO] :: Creating Main Window...
    2022-11-21 16:38:55.919 [INFO] :: Creating Viewport Manager...
    2022-11-21 16:38:55.954 [INFO] :: Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport1.

Then I create the plane, use MG on it, save the scene file, and close DS.

There are no other erros reported in the log file until just before its end.

2022-11-21 16:38:57.415 [INFO] :: Json Parser (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['
    2022-11-21 16:41:45.423 [INFO] :: Saved image: K:\Daz 3D\DAZ 3D Library\Scenes\mg test.duf.png

2022-11-21 18:02:08.601 --------------- DAZ Studio 4.21.0.5 exited ------------------
    2022-11-21 18:02:08.601 ~

Then I restart DS get all the same errors as above. When I load the file the log shows

2022-11-21 18:03:12.104 [INFO] :: Json Parser (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['
    2022-11-21 18:03:22.536 [INFO] :: Prepare asset load (open): /Scenes/mg test.duf
    2022-11-21 18:03:22.536 [INFO] :: Locking viewport redraw...

022-11-21 18:03:22.587 [INFO] :: Creating modifiers...
    2022-11-21 18:03:22.588 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(6496): User property instance not created.
    2022-11-21 18:03:22.588 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(1729): Modifier not created: MF_MeshGrabModifier!
    2022-11-21 18:03:22.588 [INFO] :: Processing scene data...
    2022-11-21 18:03:22.588 [INFO] :: Sorting property groups...
    2022-11-21 18:03:22.588 [INFO] :: Setting up follow targets...
    2022-11-21 18:03:22.588 [INFO] :: Finalizing scene data...

So the MG realted errors are showing in the log file. But I do not know why. Nor do I know how to fix them, I hope one of you can help me here.

Post edited by lamoid_5f20d3e469 on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I had private messaged MF about some features in a new product or update to current

1) A way to control the visibility of the widgets rather than just turning them off and on, but instead a slider to control the trasparency but with the same "grab-ability" when parts of the arrows or rotations are needing to be used.  

2) A smothing modifier

3) A symmetry option

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,905

RAMWolff said:

2) A smothing modifier

3) A symmetry option

Yup, definitely I second these.

• lamoid_5f20d3e469 said:

New meshgrabber problems. For some reason, my MG changes are not saving with a model or a scene. When I reload tthe scene, the changes are gone.  This just started. Also, the undo function is not working. Is anyone else having these problems?

Update. I opened a new scene. I put a 1m x 1m plane primitive in it. Then I used MG to grab the center vertex an pull it up until the plane became a mound or a hill shape. Then I saved it as a scene. Then I reloaded it. The morph was gone. just a flat plane again.

I imported a cube and did some random grabs on it. Saved it as both a scene subset and a scene and the changes were still there when I reopened the files. I'm using DS 4.21.0.5.

• Hello!
    i just bought your mesh grabber package and really like it.
    However... i wonder if there is/would be any way to increase the resolution for more detailed work Because, when i subdivide the mesh, the grid-number increases, but the selection area stays the same. i.e. mesh resolution 1 =1 face selected, mesh resolution 2 = minimum of 4 faces selected with each click.... - if the minimal selected area would stay at 1 faceand not keep its dimensions, one could do more detailed work like brandings i.e.. Its still a really great tool. but i found that to be limiting

• Has anyone had the issue I am having and is this a bug or is there something else I need to do?

I favourite a number of commercial pose morphs e.g. left_eye_look_left and right_eye_look_left, but on clicking "Load..." in the Mesh Grabber editor UI only one of the favourited morphs is imported. Both these morphs are essentiall the same, from the same vendor, and right next to each other in the pose tab.

Thanks

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,801

"Add “Normal” and “Clamped” gizmo orientation modes."

What does "clamped" mean? I saw no difference :/

• Anyone missing mesh grabber in the tools menu when using the daz beta build?

• G3Renderworks said:

Anyone missing mesh grabber in the tools menu when using the daz beta build?

Was it last installed when the beta was present?

• Richard Haseltine said:

G3Renderworks said:

Yeah, it works fine in the regular version. 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

G3Renderworks said:

Richard Haseltine said:

G3Renderworks said:

Did you install it using DIM?  Was the DS Public Build (Beta) installed before or after MeshGrabber? 

• G3RenderworksG3Renderworks Posts: 64
    edited December 2023

Fixmypcmike said:

G3Renderworks said:

Richard Haseltine said:

G3Renderworks said:

Did you install it using DIM?  Was the DS Public Build (Beta) installed before or after MeshGrabber? 

It was installed with DIM in the old version and copied over to the beta. I also tried reinstalling with DIM with the beta already installed.

Edit: There was an update to the beta today. After I installed it, mesh grabber appeared in the tools again.

Post edited by G3Renderworks on