[Released] ManFriday's Mesh Grabber [Commercial]

ManFridayManFriday Posts: 549
edited December 2019 in Daz PA Commercial Products

It's been a while since I've released my last product, but all is good because I've been working on something big.

ManFriday's Mesh Grabber is a new plugin that introduces actual 3D modeling features to Daz Studio.

You can change the mesh of any object with geometry right in Daz Studio without requiring external software like Hexagon or Blender or ZBrush.

https://www.daz3d.com/mesh-grabber

Here are just four examples how this will be useful:

You can quickly fix collision problems between meshes like clothing poke-through without having to test lots of morphs to see which one might fix it.

You can quickly fix some details in the mesh of your human Daz Studio figures. Give your favorite character elf ears!

You can quickly make yourself your own terrain from a plane primitive!

You can improve your favorite environment product in a way that the original author did not foresee. Make a castle tower a little bit higher!

Please note that at this time the product is Windows 64-bits only. Versions for 32-bit Windows and the Mac may be added at a later time.

main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 318K
popup_01.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 298K
popup_02.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 480K
popup_03.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 491K
Post edited by ManFriday on

Comments

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

nice timesafer! looks very usefull.

• Yes nice work with the falloff

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    ManFriday said:

Please note that at this time the product is Windows 64-bits only. Versions for 32-bit Windows and the Mac may be added at a later time.

crying

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Woah! Awesome work, ManFriday. Grabbing this ASAP!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

About time.  This will def be a time saver for many of us.  

Question, when working on say face morphs, will there be a symmetry option to select both sides automatically and will there be a way to freeze or NOT select in the inner part of the head like the inner mouth, teeth or eyes?  

• DripDrip Posts: 1,135

Sounds nifty!

Uhmmm, if we use subdivision, can we then also "grab" the polys created from the subdivision? (could be useful to create smaller wrinkles on clothes, or pockmarks on faces).
    And also, once we create a change with meshgrabber, can we (optionally) save it as a morph, or perhaps stack it with a later meshgrabber change?

Anyway, even if the answer to those questions happens to be no, this will be a tool to look out for, so thank you already for the time you invested so far!

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,008

This looks very interesting, and not at all stupid.

(An old joke: I am feeling old.)

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    This is a must have. I have been testing it and all I can say is wow, it's a huge time saver. Quick and easy to use. Very handy tool indeed, specially for quick fixes and on the spot modifications.
  • Wow, that looks amazing!

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 549
    edited December 2019

I'm glad you're all excited already. :-)

This is the my first geometry plugin, so it won't have all features of all the 3D modelers you might be used to yet. I can't rewrite ZBrush on my own in a couple of months. :-) However, I do plan to publish add-ons to this which will implement many of the suggestions and more. In detail:

• Symmetry and "freeze" (to protect geometry) is not included yet, but that shouldn't be too hard to implement.
    • Re morphs, at this time the changes you make with the mesh grabber tool are saved with the object data in your scene file. You can create your own morphs by exporting an OBJ of the modified object and reimporting that immediately with Daz Studio's own Morph Loader Pro. This works already, but a more convenient "spawn morph" feature is planned as well to make this easier.
    • Re subdivision, the plugin works with subdivided geometry, but you can grab only the base-resolution polys / edges / vertices. The others will be interpolated by Daz Studio. Modifying the subdivided mesh is not possible from a geometry modifier plugin like this.
  • Please can you explain what this provides that cannot be done with Dforms and weight maps?  The examples in the video could all be done by that means, so I am curious what else this brings that I may have missed.

edited December 2019

Please can you explain what this provides that cannot be done with Dforms and weight maps?  The examples in the video could all be done by that means, so I am curious what else this brings that I may have missed.

I have used D-Formers many times, and I find them difficult to use, and the results hard to predict, especially if the figure in question is not in the zero pose. The first time I tried to use them it took me a day to accomplish what I was trying to do, and only after deleting the field and using weight maps only.

I would make the claim that the Mesh Grabber is very intuitive to use in comparison, with just a few minutes of trying: just click on some mesh and drag, and the results will be what you expected. And with a bit of practice, after getting a feel for how to best use the falloff radius and falloff mode, one can accomplish quite a lot. (For those who know Blender, the Mesh Grabber is imitating the Grab tool in Blender with proportional editing enabled. But you do not have to know Blender to use the Mesh Grabber.)

Hope that helps :-)

• ManFriday said:

Please can you explain what this provides that cannot be done with Dforms and weight maps?  The examples in the video could all be done by that means, so I am curious what else this brings that I may have missed.

I have used D-Formers many times, and I find them difficult to use, and the results hard to predict, especially if the figure in question is not in the zero pose. The first time I tried to use them it took me a day to accomplish what I was trying to do, and only after deleting the field and using weight maps only.

I would make the claim that the Mesh Grabber is very intuitive to use in comparison, with just a few minutes of trying: just click on some mesh and drag, and the results will be what you expected. And with a bit of practice, after getting a feel for how to best use the falloff radius and falloff mode, one can accomplish quite a lot. (For those who know Blender, the Mesh Grabber is imitating the Grab tool in Blender with proportional editing enabled. But you do not have to know Blender to use the Mesh Grabber.)

Hope that helps :-)

Helped me! January then?

D-formers are a nightmare, this looks way, way better.

ManFriday, can we also use this mesh grabber as a mesh "pusher?"

I'm thinking of skin indentations / faux-soft body physics!

• D-formers are a nightmare, this looks way, way better.

Yes you can! The gizmo allows you to push and pull into the X/Y/Z directorions and also along XY etc, planes (two directions at once) like the Daz Universal gizmo.

win_screenshot_1576699534.jpg
    773 x 706 - 218K
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

Well, hope you do add a version for Mac.

• inquire said:

Well, hope you do add a version for Mac.

It's not that I don't like Macs. In fact I much prefer MacOS to Windows from a user perspective. But developing for Macs has much different parameters, and I've never done it, and I have no idea how big the market is with respect to Daz and whether the considerable effort would pay off. One of these days I will sit down and do it and boom! all my plugins will be available for the Mac. :-)

edited December 2019
    ManFriday said:

D-formers are a nightmare, this looks way, way better.

Yes you can! The gizmo allows you to push and pull into the X/Y/Z directorions and also along XY etc, planes (two directions at once) like the Daz Universal gizmo.

I'm in love. heart

With the ability to adjust the fall off (so it's not too sharp), I think this will finally allow hands to press onto skin!

Post edited by Leonides02 on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

interesting

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558

This is epic, can't wait to purchase!

ManFriday, sorry but I have another question: Will this work in the timeline / for animations?

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

Holy wow, this is incredibly exciting!

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    edited December 2019

My store credit is ready - how soon is soon?! smiley

Post edited by gitika1 on
  • ManFriday, sorry but I have another question: Will this work in the timeline / for animations?

Waiting for the answer, too!

it''s available now wink

• Just picked it up, this going to be my new way of doing JCMs thank you huge speedup for me !!!

• ManFriday, sorry but I have another question: Will this work in the timeline / for animations?

Out of the box, not yet. But you can create a morph with the OBJ / MorphLoader Pro method I described above and animate that. (This will also be part of a future add-on.)

edited December 2019
    gerster said:

it''s available now wink

Yep :-)

just got it... it does not appear Windows->Panes

But according to the plugin list it's installed.

• mthiercymthiercy Posts: 1
    edited December 2019

A great add-on to DAZ Studio... It saves a lot of time for tiny adjustments, we can make many adjustments at the same time by deselecting some parts and selecting other parts of the mesh (the deltas are cumulative), it is very intuitive for those who have already used a 3D modeler. Very good product.

Post edited by mthiercy on