Howler - Project Dogwaffle Pro!

Comments

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367

Hi! Hope this is a proper place for this question. I have Howler 11.4, which I purchased here, and not until today have I tried using it. Looking through a downloaded help folder didn't help me, so...

When I open the program, it already has a blank image loaded. Can't get rid of it. Can only replace it by clicking Close > but it forces you to create a new document.

I'm trying to load a jpg or bmp or png image. The closest I got was with a bitmap image. Clicked Open > <name>.bmp > But got a popup saying "Conversion completed", and then a popup of it said, "Time out waiting for conversion service."

Please steer me to the category/topic in Help that I need to use for finding what the heck I'm doing wrong. I used to think logic would get me anywhere. Today it's only getting me frustrated.

My goal, btw, was to convert an image I created with DS into a painterly effect. I tried it with GIMP, but no options there had the hand-drawn, almost Kinkade-like but less contrasty, effect I need. It's for my sister who's putting together a book of promps for writers... or something like that. Never did understand her that well, either ;-)
    Thanks!!

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367

OK, I found an alternative that's fantastic. FotoSketcher. I think it'll offer several of the looks my "boss" (sister) had in mind. The first couple I tried are amazing.

Regarding Howler. This isn't the first truly beautiful application I've tried, only to spend so much time getting nowhere right up front that I had to give up. Their web site is a mess, links that don't work, confusing when they do.

The other was Carrara. Installation was a mess. Beautiful program as well, I know, but more important things needed to be done.

It's only recently I've had time to really get into Das Studio! It's basically logical, makes sense, easy to find help on, etc. I freaking love that program! Makes me angry, too, at times, but that's where I'm going to stay. Gonna make use of this sequestration!
    End of rant. Just stay healthy everyone.

• I appologize for not checking sooner! So sorry that you ended up frustrated.

When it opens, it opens with a blank in the buffer, just like GIMP or PS. Then you just go to File>Open and open the file you want.

You can also, just copy your image and paste it into the blank image using Ctrl+V (then select REPLACE image)

Maybe you can give it another try?

• I appologize for not checking sooner! So sorry that you ended up frustrated.

When it opens, it opens with a blank in the buffer, just like GIMP or PS. Then you just go to File>Open and open the file you want.

You can also, just copy your image and paste it into the blank image using Ctrl+V (then select REPLACE image)

Maybe you can give it another try?

• staigermanstaigerman Posts: 236
    edited April 2020
    Kenkoy said:

Hi! Hope this is a proper place for this question. I have Howler 11.4, which I purchased here, and not until today have I tried using it. Looking through a downloaded help folder didn't help me, so...

When I open the program, it already has a blank image loaded. Can't get rid of it. Can only replace it by clicking Close > but it forces you to create a new document.

I'm trying to load a jpg or bmp or png image. The closest I got was with a bitmap image. Clicked Open > <name>.bmp > But got a popup saying "Conversion completed", and then a popup of it said, "Time out waiting for conversion service."

(...)

There are several ways to get an image into a program, any program (or most anyway). In many cases, File > Open will work. In the case of PD Howler, if the image is in Targa format, that's it's preferred format. Other formats will go through a converter (convert.exe) that's installed with it, and comes from ImageMagick.

If the converter failed, it's for a reason. Where to start? Perhaps the image is too big? Or it is in a particular bmp bit depth that the converter doesn't understand? Hard to say. See if you can first convert it to Jpeg?  (Irfanview comes to mind, free viewer/converter).

If you can't File>Open it, try some of the other import options from the File menu. Such as the General File Converter. Think of it as a staging platform. You File>Open the image from the GFC, then send it over to Dogwaffle. The GFC has its own code for importing a few formats. The ImageMagick converter handles 60+ formats.

And there's also the Image menu, which has a Clipboard option. Many programs, including this one, allow you to paste an image from clipboard. In this case you can paste it into Stored copy too (I think from the FIle > Import option) and then open it by restoring it as the active document. (one of the option from the pulldown menu in the stored copy).

How big is your image? (width and height in pixels)

There are plenty of brushes and plenty of Filter, some in the Filter>Artistic category. But I don't know what you consider a 'painterly' effect. Dripping wet? Oily? translucent water color with pigment lifting upon brush strokes? lots of options.

Hope this helps and works.

Have fun.

-Philip

Post edited by staigerman on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,229
    edited May 2020

COVID 19 is certainly impacting the globe. Some take it seriously, others still feel it's just a government hoax, it's amazing how many extremes there are in both positive and negative.

I have been working the front lines since the company I work for has been deemed to be essential. I'm exhausted because of it. I still try to manage to get at my Carrara and Howler, but often find myself nodding off between operations.

This exhaustion has made it more difficult to see the other end - this side where we have to stay at home - no work, no physical interaction and the fear of how long this is all going to take. It's hurts my heart to see all of this going down.

Daz3d and their artists have given customers a lot of amazing deals and even free content with enormous generosity, which always helps to keep the spirit up. I know I've been able to grab some things off my wish list that I just haven't been able to afford otherwise - so Thanks to all of you who participated in that!

I just got my new newsletter from Project Dogwaffle and it really warms my heart. Such a small entity in this huge industry of image manipulation, yet so full of real heart and creativity - not to mention the never-ending drive of development from a single author.

dogwaffle newsletter - news about PD Howler and PD Artist

This newsletter has some amazing inspiration. New videos just to show some of the new things going on along with some tips on things we've already had but might not have known about.

Scrolling down we get to a simple grid that Dogwaffle can generate with a click. No big deal, but there's one to download if you don't know how to render one.

Following that are images made by bringing that simple grid into Dogwaffle's relatively new PuppyRay ray trace engine. Image after image after making a few small tweaks.

From this

to this (with a few between these)

to this (with a few between these)

It's absolutely amazing, the beautiful art one can make from just a blank screen. Howler has been a real treat for me to learn. Philip Staiger howling and waffling the Daily Dose (his YouTube tutorial classes/seminars) is a Lot of Fun and really helps us to get to grips with something that was created from the ground up to be unique - not just another PhotoShop clone. Dan had the foresight to know, early on that we were likely to see a whole slew of those, so he set out on an entirely different path - and it's Amazing!

Tiffanie joining our ranks has been a true inspiration. I love all of her wonderful art and tutorials - and just having her around! As you'll see in the newsletter, we have others to thank for their enthusiasm and free spirited kindness. Also check out the DOTM (Dogwaffler of the Moment) which can be accessed via the newsletter, and you'll see a whole lot more! FYI - Dani Anis (artist) is our very own JetBird!

Anyway -  

Dogwaffle Team, Thank you So much for Everything over the years!

Love and Art, 

Dartanbeck  image

P.S. Have a wonderful day!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Thank you D'art! I'm so sorry about all the extra work you have to do. And thank you for all you do on the front lines, and for Howler. Take care of yourself!

Tiffanie

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Great to see you stop in, Dart.  

Stay safe out there!

Thanks you two! It's really tough "trying" to "Stay Safe". So many people either don't care, don't believe or whatever. Having to cater to these folks gets really trying at times - but I don't always keep my thoughts to myself about it! LOL  Sometimes I voice my opinion fairly abruptly. On the other end, I also go out of my way for folks who are really trying to do it right.

Carrara and Howler images coming ;)

• Been doing a webinar series for DAL, on water (Under, Over, Atmosphere) using DAZ (or other software) and post work in PD Howler.

I can never figure out how to actually get the images to post here, except tiny. So, here are the links. Only one more Webinar left, this Saturday!

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/999961

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/999971

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/999946

Been doing a webinar series for DAL, on water (Under, Over, Atmosphere) using DAZ (or other software) and post work in PD Howler.

I can never figure out how to actually get the images to post here, except tiny. So, here are the links. Only one more Webinar left, this Saturday!

Here are the images

(using the 'insert image' icon (looks like a little wall picture), paste the link to the image, then set the size below as well as when you want word wrap - done by setting align left or right) - Note: Forum prefers that we keep the size to no more than 800 px wide

If it's larger than 800 wide, and you'd like folks to see the larger image, while in the insert image window go to the Link tab and paste the link in there. 

yes  That's some Impressive artwork, Tiffanie!

• Like I said in the other thread, I think PD Howler is great, but without 64 bit support, it's not good for UHD.   I would love to use it in my projects, but there's no way for it to manage 4k video except maybe in very small sequences at a time, which seriously would not be productive.  Do you work with UHD video?  If so, have you found any workarounds where you could take advantage of Howler in that kind of workflow?  I thought of maybe upscaling the video afterwards, but I don't like the results of that either.

edited May 2020

Like I said in the other thread, I think PD Howler is great, but without 64 bit support, it's not good for UHD.   I would love to use it in my projects, but there's no way for it to manage 4k video except maybe in very small sequences at a time, which seriously would not be productive.  Do you work with UHD video?  If so, have you found any workarounds where you could take advantage of Howler in that kind of workflow?  I thought of maybe upscaling the video afterwards, but I don't like the results of that either.

I don't work in UHD, but I also don't try to use Howler to replace something like After Effects (I use Fusion, however). I use Howler more for creating elements that I bring into such software. It's a unique and powerful tool that isn't meant to replace, but to enhance. It's my goto artroom on my computers. I can start with a small idea and work it into art in so many ways. More inspiration and tutorials coming. My time is just so limited that everything is taking longer than it should.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Awesome!

Check it out!

Scene Mastery Tutorial: Underwater

by Tiffanie Gray

Looks awesome, Tiffanie!!!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,754

• Thanks, Dart!

Yes, 2 more in the series should be out in the next few weeks! But, I have to say, it's more Daz geared than Howler gear (Though I do mention my beloved program!) except the last session which has quite a bit of Howler instruction.

Thanks, Dart!

Yes, 2 more in the series should be out in the next few weeks! But, I have to say, it's more Daz geared than Howler gear (Though I do mention my beloved program!) except the last session which has quite a bit of Howler instruction.

Well... some of us just Love the sound of your voice! wink

• Like I said in the other thread, I think PD Howler is great, but without 64 bit support, it's not good for UHD.   I would love to use it in my projects, but there's no way for it to manage 4k video except maybe in very small sequences at a time, which seriously would not be productive.  Do you work with UHD video?  If so, have you found any workarounds where you could take advantage of Howler in that kind of workflow?  I thought of maybe upscaling the video afterwards, but I don't like the results of that either.

I don't work in UHD, but I also don't try to use Howler to replace something like After Effects (I use Fusion, however). I use Howler more for creating elements that I bring into such software. It's a unique and powerful tool that isn't meant to replace, but to enhance. It's my goto artroom on my computers. I can start with a small idea and work it into art in so many ways. More inspiration and tutorials coming. My time is just so limited that everything is taking longer than it should.

Based on that, I have downloaded the software and will give it another shot.  I'd love to know your pipeline and workflow.  How you use it to enhance the main work, etc.  I'm not exactly sure how I could incorporate this into my work, but I'm willing to try.  I'm interested primarily in using it for the 3d designer and the particle painter thing.  I'd like to see if I can use it for compositing, but I'm not sure how that might work if my main video is UHD.

• @gregsgraphics - I would suggest going through some of the video tutorials, perhaps they can give you a better idea. Stiegerman has a number of videos on compositing and other video type work

Like I said in the other thread, I think PD Howler is great, but without 64 bit support, it's not good for UHD.   I would love to use it in my projects, but there's no way for it to manage 4k video except maybe in very small sequences at a time, which seriously would not be productive.  Do you work with UHD video?  If so, have you found any workarounds where you could take advantage of Howler in that kind of workflow?  I thought of maybe upscaling the video afterwards, but I don't like the results of that either.

Based on that, I have downloaded the software and will give it another shot.  I'd love to know your pipeline and workflow.  How you use it to enhance the main work, etc.  I'm not exactly sure how I could incorporate this into my work, but I'm willing to try.  I'm interested primarily in using it for the 3d designer and the particle painter thing.  I'd like to see if I can use it for compositing, but I'm not sure how that might work if my main video is UHD.

Here's one main example that I can say in text (most things are so much easier explained in video - coming soonish):

My main compositing at full resolution will take place in Fusion (Adobe for you). I use compositing functions of Howler all the time, however for working with making my own stock footage type material. I'll also use it as an easy method for generating masks (animated) for use within Fusion as well as in Howler. 

Argh... I guess it truly will be a lot easier to convey by example. 

Well, what I'm finishing up right now is becomeing an absolute launching pad for many (Many!) tutorials to come - both written (with illustration) and video (often with a back-up written article), so that'll be launching as soon as I get there - so beyond this near-completed project I'll make Howler examples and tutorials a priority ;)

It really is easier to Show than it is to Explain, and that will also be much easier to understand and put to practice right away.

BTW, Tiffanie's right. Howler is a bit different to work in. Without patience, it might have a tendency to turn a person away a bit. But sticking with it reveals a whole new realm. Philip, Tiffanie and Dan (developer) havesome great videos out there. I used those videos as a source of entertainment at TV time, so instead of looking for an episode on subject X, I'd just watch them all. That works well because the title of most videos does not truly convey all of the content inside - especially for the longer running Daily Dose videos.

Well, I did this video when I tried Fluidos for the first time. I use Fluidos in Carrara to create a splash of water, then I bring the render into Howler to enhance it and make masks for it, etc., then bring it into HitFilm to composite it to a test render. 

Keep in mind that this whole thing was an experiment not of 'visual quality' of the outcome, but a trial of myself trying out this workflow.

• Ok, well I downloaded the demo and gave it another try.  Here's my honest and unbiased opinion.  I was pleasantly surprised that the software was capable of handling some of the UHD videos I had.  I didn't expect it to run that well being a 32bit only application.  However, the praise comes with some major, major caveats...

First and foremost is the UI and software design itself.  I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to use this software.  It reminded me very much of the first time I used Blender before 2.8 release.  It's so unorthodox and different in the way it does things, it would likely take me months or even years to really master the software.  Considering the time and effort I already put into learning packages like Blender, I just can't afford to dedicate that kind of effort to what is essentially an average animation effects editor and paint package.  There are just too many other packages out there that are very easy to pick up and use to make it worthwhile.

Second is the whole swap file workflow.  I guess that goes hand in hand with it being only 32 bit and unorthodox design.  Having to rely on swap files during larger projects becomes very cluttered and labor-intensive compared to proper procedural effects or history type workflow that other packages have been using for years now.  The swap file thing would have been a very clever way to manage resources back in the early 2000s maybe, or late 90s, but these days it just seems very unnecessary compared to a procedural or layered approach.

Thos are my critiques of the software.  On the positive side, I love the 3d terrain generator and the Puppy Ray GPU isn't too bad.  I like that you can export OBJ from there.  However, it too suffers a bit from a very tiny interface with a very small preview window that I couldn't seem to make larger, and the camera controls were extremely limited. There didn't seem to be any hotkey control over camera movement.  We're forced to do everything using buttons, which was really time consuming and labor-intensive.

I know this is something only one man is working on, so maybe future versions will fix some of these issues.  I really think it would help if it could someday get a 64-bit facelift and do away with the swap thing in favor of a proper history or procedural environment.

It's worth a look though just for the particle designer and 3d designer systems alone.  And the paint features are fun.

My new tutorial has a nice little session regarding creating animated effects maps in Howler:

I'm still preparing the written article portion for my website:

http://www.dartanbeck.com/

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,621

That's a good tutorial, Dartanbeck.

• Yes, I loved it! learned a couple of things myself! I'm not real familiar with the animation timeline, so that was really neat to see!

Thanks you two! :) It means a lot to hear you say such wonderful things. Helps keep the drive for more!

edited July 2020

Dartanbeck, I'll look forward to seeing more. yes You might want to check your sitelinks on your YT videos and in threads. When they use http:// and www, your site doesn't resolve - At least not in Firefox. When I type plain dartanbeck.com, your site routes to the native sites.google address. Only https://www.dartanbeck.com goes to your site and displays your domain in the address box. cool

Post edited by Torquinox on
    Torquinox said:

Dartanbeck, I'll look forward to seeing more. yes You might want to check your sitelinks on your YT videos and in threads. When they use http:// and www, your site doesn't resolve - At least not in Firefox. When I type plain dartanbeck.com, your site routes to the native sites.google address. Only https://www.dartanbeck.com goes to your site and displays your domain in the address box. cool

Hmmm... I have no idea how to address this. Without funding, I have no choice but to go with Google Sites. And I am no web developer - just someone who like to share. I'll see if I can find some answers though.

Thanks for this!

edited July 2020
    Torquinox said:

Hmmm... I have no idea how to address this. Without funding, I have no choice but to go with Google Sites. And I am no web developer - just someone who like to share. I'll see if I can find some answers though.

Thanks for this!

The simplest thing to do is check your links on your YT videos. The one for your latest video has http: // and your post above with video also says http: //. Your sig says https:// www and works fine. As for the rest, no worries! You may have a freebie site, but it looks great and it's loaded with content. Cheers to all that! smiley

Post edited by Torquinox on