Traditional Train Station (Commercial)

MikeDMikeD Posts: 291
edited February 2020 in Daz PA Commercial Products

The product is a recreation of a traditional train stations found in south Mediterranean (this is a Greek station).

The dimensions of the station are around 12m in height, 7m width and 5m height. The surrounding ground is 100m long and 70m width. The product includes the interior of the station with 33 props, that you can use in your own scenes and a well at the backyard. An atmosphere control prop is also included. This prop controls the haze of the atmosphere (must have for making any God rays in the scene). There are five levels of haze to choose from, or you may not use the prop at all if you don’t want any haze in the scene. Although the scene has many thousand plants, the usage of instances does not make the scene heavy in polygons. The product includes 8 ‘Render Settings’ preset files, 20 cameras and lights sets and a lot of adjustments files, like scripts to set the intensity of the lights (inside the station, to the platform and to the road), to show or hide the vegetation in the viewport etc. A special script will let you set the name of the station, it will create the necessary maps (including or not any wear on the sign color) and it will apply these maps to the sign.

MDTTS_Main_Promo.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 996K
MDTTS_Promo_05.jpg
1500 x 750 - 523K
MDTTS_Promo_09.jpg
900 x 1200 - 987K
MDTTS_Promo_11.jpg
900 x 1200 - 909K
MDTTS_Promo_14.jpg
1200 x 900 - 1M
MDTTS_Promo_20.jpg
1500 x 750 - 674K
MDTTS_Promo_06.jpg
1500 x 900 - 839K
Signature_TTS.jpg
1069 x 100 - 113K
Post edited by MikeD on

Comments

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,686

Looks good! Seems like you're finished. Hopefully, the rails and crossties are separate meshes from the ground so that they can be independently scaled, since they look too narrow for any train I own.

• MikeDMikeD Posts: 291
    edited January 2020

Thanks xyer0... Yes the rails are seperate from the ground and the track gauge is 1m. It is the real one (for this station) as I measured it on site, but you can scale the rails to match your trains....

Post edited by MikeD on
  • Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

Internal and external. You are my hero yes

• AtiAti Posts: 9,082

This looks great!

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

looks really impressive.  also fun. 

:)

j

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

What happens if you get off the train on the other side of the tracks,  there is only a platform on one side.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,082
    Chohole said:

What happens if you get off the train on the other side of the tracks,  there is only a platform on one side.

You see where the platform is. Why on earth would you get off on the other side? :-o On modern trains, the doors on that side won't even open.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

most here in Australia only have one one side, if two tracks it's in the middle and yes the doors will not open the other side on modern ones

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    Chohole said:

Such a setup is not uncommon. I remember many such train stations here in the Czech Republic.

Here is one I found by a quick Google search:

Ati said:
    Chohole said:

You see where the platform is. Why on earth would you get off on the other side? :-o On modern trains, the doors on that side won't even open.

Here in the UK we have platform on both sides of the Station area, with both sets of tracks between them  and waiting rooms on both sides. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818
    edited January 2020

a typical Adelaide suburban station, we do have some the style Chohole mentions too, in the city at least

in the country you wouldn't even get the shelter on the siding.

3CB3F566-BC3A-40F2-AF8A-85D596D70F6C.png
    1536 x 2048 - 5M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited January 2020
    Chohole said:

Ohh yes... Take a look at the photo references of the real station. The first one is an HDR image of the station taken in 2009 by me, when the station was still active ... (now it is just an abandoned station, as the south train network in Greece has stopped services from 2010). The stations here were small country buildings that served only a few passengers... The station employee actually unlocked the doors of the train to the correct side. The second tracks were used to 'Park' another train as a big part of the network was 'single line' and a train had to park to a station so another train can pass from the opposite direction on the same tracks (you can see it in the next photo). Take notice the small width of the tracks (1m).

The next photo is taken in the last summer... the station is complete abandoned and looted (unfortunatelly) and as you can see the second track is almost disappeared under the dirt.

I have visited UK many times and I have used the train a lot... I am impressed by the UK stations .... I also have taken photos of the Preston station for reference .... I may build it in the far future (not sure cause it is hudge):

L004.jpg
    800 x 533 - 700K
    IMG_0314.jpg
    600 x 400 - 357K
    IMG_2481.jpg
    800 x 532 - 622K
    Post edited by MikeD on

That is such a shame.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

wow.  you're serious about your research.

an abandoned/current version of the station as an add-on or a later expansion would also make a wonderful environment for scenes.  

but the version of the scenario you have here is beautiful--and comprehensive.   there are so many cool locations in it.   it feels like a real place.  

i love the curved path behind the station, and the plants there.   i hope we get a shot of the well in the promos, though.   i could have missed something, but i'm wondering where it is.

beautiful work!

j

Thank you very much....

Yes, there is a promo with the well .... I am not posting it now as I have changed it a little and I am gonna re-render it .... wink

• MikeD said:
    I also have taken photos of the Preston station for reference .... I may build it in the far future (not sure cause it is hudge):

There is always the new Kings Cross station laugh

Kings Cross.jpg
    4592 x 3056 - 6M
    edited January 2020

I was there in the summer of 2018. I had no time to take photo references but ... I will return smiley

Post edited by MikeD on
    edited January 2020

You should also take a look at some of the heritage railways, where enthusiasts keep the steam trains running as a tourist attraction.   I am lucky to have one only about a mile away from where I live, Local station is at about 1150ft above see level and then climbs up bit more on it's trip   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brecon_Mountain_Railway

Post edited by Chohole on
  • If you are considering UK stations then it might be worthwhile taking a look at some of the model railway forums, such as rmweb. The reason I suggest this is that model railway builders often face the challenge of trying to make a 'realistic' model in a much smaller space than a scaled down version of the real thing would take. Even some of the country stations in the UK cover a huge area because land was cheap when they were built, the inner city stations, by contrast can be quite compact because land was expensive. Some of the old railway companies had a 'house style' for stations, some very distinctive. The old LNWR ( London and North Western Railway ) used a lot of prefabricated wooden panels for station buildings, so a lot of them look similar. Not sure if Preston looked like that as it had a long history of development with several companies. 

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

Here in L.A. we've been repurposing a number of old right-of-ways from the last century for the MetroRail system (MetroRail has segments that run underground, elevated, and at grade), and they often are going through built up areas which have no space for expansion. The platform styles are all over the map. Most often, when they have room to build new, they take the not-at-grade model as their base, whether the station is at grade or not. Which is to say, a single platform, with rails on either side. But there are a generous representation of split platforms on either side of the rails as well. In some areas where the space is at a premium the split platforms are offset on either side of the intersection. 

• jardine said:

an abandoned/current version of the station as an add-on or a later expansion would also make a wonderful environment for scenes.  

This!

The train station is released .... I hope you enjoy it...

• MikeD said:

The train station is released .... I hope you enjoy it...

and in my cart.

• just wanted to say that this is also a bit similar to one of the train stations I stopped at on a train trip across the US a couple years ago... it was small and tiny like this and only one side as well (but there were more train tracks). Beautiful work, Mike!

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909

Which train(s) in the store are compatible widthwise to this station?

edited February 2020

Thanks @Richard Haseltine, thanks @DisparateDreamer...

@MarcCCTx: I have used "The Steam Engine" (https://www.daz3d.com/the-steam-engine) for a promo, with a little scale down. I don't have all trains of the store to test them. The rail width is 1m (narrow width), so if you have any train in your library just check if the width is 1m...

Post edited by MikeD on
  • Callidus SimiaCallidus Simia Posts: 131
    edited February 2020

Very nice Mike, especially the customizable station name. That's a nice touch.

Post edited by Callidus Simia on

Thanks Kenneth! laugh

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I bought this a while ago and have just now come up with a scene requiring a train station so I loaded it. As soon as I try to render it or even put it into IRay preview mode it hangs up my system. It is not as though I have a low spec PC - I have a decent CPU, 64GB RAM and a RTX 3090 GPU. I do not have a problem loading or rendering any other product or scene.

Were there some updates that I might have missed?

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Here's the log file for the rendering error ...

022-07-26 15:17:27.150 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing local rendering.
    2022-07-26 15:17:27.181 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing OptiX for CUDA device 0
    2022-07-26 15:17:27.722 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 1 device(s):
    2022-07-26 15:17:27.722 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info :     CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090)
    2022-07-26 15:17:27.723 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2022-07-26 15:17:27.727 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Processing scene...
    2022-07-26 15:17:34.428 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - OPTX:RENDER ::   1.9   OPTX   rend error: Sum of number of triangles/primitives (551950688) over first 1 build inputs out of 1 build inputs exceeds device context property OPTIX_DEVICE_PROPERTY_LIMIT_MAX_PRIMITIVES_PER_GAS (536870912).
    2022-07-26 15:17:34.436 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.9   IRAY   rend error: optixAccelComputeMemoryUsage(context,&opt,input,1,&output.sizes) failed: Invalid value
    2022-07-26 15:17:34.436 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Scene setup failed
    2022-07-26 15:17:34.439 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Device failed while rendering
    2022-07-26 15:17:34.440 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090) ran out of memory and is temporarily unavailable for rendering.
    2022-07-26 15:17:34.553 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.
    2022-07-26 15:17:34.555 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend warn : No devices activated. Enabling CPU fallback.
    2022-07-26 15:17:34.556 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): [Guidance sync] Failed slave device (remaining 0, done 0).
    2022-07-26 15:17:34.556 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend warn : Re-rendering iteration because of device failure
    2022-07-26 15:17:34.556 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend error: All workers failed: aborting render