Traditional Train Station (Commercial)

2»

Comments

• MikeDMikeD Posts: 291

marble said:

I bought this a while ago and have just now come up with a scene requiring a train station so I loaded it. As soon as I try to render it or even put it into IRay preview mode it hangs up my system. It is not as though I have a low spec PC - I have a decent CPU, 64GB RAM and a RTX 3090 GPU. I do not have a problem loading or rendering any other product or scene.

Were there some updates that I might have missed?

Interesting... I have created the set with a PC which had a lot lower specif than yours... I hadn't any problem with the particular set, nor I have any other complains about it ... Right now I have 2 RTX 2080ti but not any 30xx series and it is still loading and rendering without any problem ... The set has a lot of instances ... try tunrning the option "Instancing Optimization" from "Auto" into "memory" in the Rendering Settings tab ... It may help ...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,877

is a texture  a tiff file?

WendyLuvsCatz said:

is a texture  a tiff file?

No, ... all my textures are .png

• Even my display card, a 6GB 1660 Super, was able to handle the set (at 1,000 pixels square) - took a little over three minutes to render.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited July 2022

Well I don't know what to say. I went as far as uninstalling the product and then re-installing using DIM. Same result except that I didn't terminate DAZ Studio in the Task Manager this time - I allowed it to run to see what happened. It did eventually start rendering but, as you can see from the log - it flipped back to CPU. I was hoping that @MikeD would be able to see something from the log. It looks to me as though it failed due to excessively high polygon count but I might be misreading it.

Just to fill in a few details, I am running DAZ Studio Public Build 4.20.1.43 and am loading the set called "Traditional Train Station Full". I will try again with the older General Release of DAZ Studio and also with the Building Only set provided with the product and update here (if I can manage to post again without all the damned Cloudflare Gateway Errors!).

Post edited by marble on

OK - so with the Building only ... no problem. Rendered really quickly in IRay. Here's a part of the log for comparison:

2022-07-27 08:37:37.644 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.10  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Scene processed in 5.046s
    2022-07-27 08:37:37.646 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.10  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Allocated 32.961 MiB for frame buffer
    2022-07-27 08:37:37.646 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.10  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Allocated 1.906 GiB of work space (2048k active samples in 0.000s)
    2022-07-27 08:37:37.646 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.10  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Optimizing for cooperative usage (performance could be sacrificed)
    2022-07-27 08:37:37.687 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.10  IRAY   rend info : Allocating 1-layer frame buffer
    2022-07-27 08:37:37.705 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00001 iterations after 5.107s.

TTS Building.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    edited July 2022

Next I reverted to DS 4.15 General Release and tried the full set again. It failed again - similar log entry to the previous failure:

----------------------------------------------------------

2022-07-27 08:45:09.270 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing local rendering.
    2022-07-27 08:45:09.299 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing OptiX for CUDA device 0
    2022-07-27 08:45:09.757 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 1 device(s):
    2022-07-27 08:45:09.757 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info :     CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090)
    2022-07-27 08:45:09.759 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2022-07-27 08:45:09.762 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Processing scene...
    2022-07-27 08:45:15.647 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.10  IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 21.185 GiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)
    2022-07-27 08:45:15.649 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.10  IRAY   rend error: Sum of number of triangles/primitives (551950688) over first 1 build inputs out of 1 build inputs exceeds device context property OPTIX_DEVICE_PROPERTY_LIMIT_MAX_PRIMITIVES_PER_GAS (536870912).
    2022-07-27 08:45:15.657 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.10  IRAY   rend error: optixAccelComputeMemoryUsage(context,&opt,input,1,&output.sizes) failed: Invalid value
    2022-07-27 08:45:15.658 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Scene setup failed
    2022-07-27 08:45:15.660 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Device failed while rendering

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried again with the Public Build and the Full set and started deleting parts of the set to try to find the culprit. I deleted the group of objects containing all the street lamps but it still failed. I checked the loh and noticed this which does not look right to me:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022-07-27 08:52:16.930 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Geometry import (1 triangle object with 552 M triangles, 0 fiber objects with 0 fibers (0 segments), 1 triangle instance yielding 552 M triangles, 0 fiber instances yielding 0 segments) took 29.781 s

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does that mean one object with 552 million triangles? Surely not?

Post edited by marble on
    edited July 2022

Ahh right ... so I found the culprit: "Group Vegetation". I deleted that and it rendered quickly in IRay. Perhaps, @MikeD - you might like to take a look at that? I'm guessing it has something to do with the instances you mentioned?

Post edited by marble on
  • Did you check that Instance Optimisation was set to Mmeory or Auto? I used the full load, including the vegetation group, for my test that rendered on a 6GB GTX card.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

Do you have Instancing Optimization set to Memory in Render Settings? That is critical for scenes with lots of instances. Auto usually works, too, but not Speed. (Remember that lesson from UltraScenery?)

Richard and I are on the same wavelength on this issue!

Yeah, no ... I forgot to try that as I got so involved with trying to figure out the reason it was dropping to CPU. I've seen that before with vegetation instances but the problem is usually that I can't navigate around the viewport, not that it crashes out of an IRay render. I do think, however, that there should be warnings about instances with products that make extensive use of them.

I generally delete a lot of vegetation anyway - I try to find a good HDRi environment to render a landscape for the scene other than the immediate foreground. The HDRi landscapes often look more realistic anyway but it is often difficult (or impossible) to get them aligned perfectly so sometimes I need to use these polygon-heavy props.

edited July 2022

MikeD said:

marble said:

I bought this a while ago and have just now come up with a scene requiring a train station so I loaded it. As soon as I try to render it or even put it into IRay preview mode it hangs up my system. It is not as though I have a low spec PC - I have a decent CPU, 64GB RAM and a RTX 3090 GPU. I do not have a problem loading or rendering any other product or scene.

Were there some updates that I might have missed?

Interesting... I have created the set with a PC which had a lot lower specif than yours... I hadn't any problem with the particular set, nor I have any other complains about it ... Right now I have 2 RTX 2080ti but not any 30xx series and it is still loading and rendering without any problem ... The set has a lot of instances ... try tunrning the option "Instancing Optimization" from "Auto" into "memory" in the Rendering Settings tab ... It may help ...

Richard Haseltine said:

Did you check that Instance Optimisation was set to Mmeory or Auto? I used the full load, including the vegetation group, for my test that rendered on a 6GB GTX card.

barbult said:

Do you have Instancing Optimization set to Memory in Render Settings? That is critical for scenes with lots of instances. Auto usually works, too, but not Speed. (Remember that lesson from UltraScenery?)

I am glad you have found a soluton about this marble ... I am still curious if the Instancing Optimization setting is responsible for this.

marble said:

Yeah, no ... I forgot to try that as I got so involved with trying to figure out the reason it was dropping to CPU. I've seen that before with vegetation instances but the problem is usually that I can't navigate around the viewport, not that it crashes out of an IRay render. I do think, however, that there should be warnings about instances with products that make extensive use of them.

I generally delete a lot of vegetation anyway - I try to find a good HDRi environment to render a landscape for the scene other than the immediate foreground. The HDRi landscapes often look more realistic anyway but it is often difficult (or impossible) to get them aligned perfectly so sometimes I need to use these polygon-heavy props.

As for your above comments, I colored in red and green, I totally agree with you ... I attach some screens from the Product's 'MDTTS Tips and Tricks pdf' (You can find them in the 'Scripts' folder of the product). These are pages 2 and 3 ....

Anyway, thank you for your comments and I would like to hear your results about the 'Instancing Optimization' setting ...

Page2.png
    1362 x 480 - 77K
    page3.png
    827 x 673 - 97K
    Post edited by MikeD on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,529

Geometry memory consumption: 21.185 GiB

Sounds like way too high SubD to me...

PerttiA said:

No. Read above. It is the number of instances in the product and user error in overlooking the documentation about necessary render settings.

barbult said:

PerttiA said:

No. Read above. It is the number of instances in the product and user error in overlooking the documentation about necessary render settings.

Yes, my fault for not referring back to the user guide. However, my comment about a warning was meant for the Store Product Page when purchasing. Simple comment like "Please be sure to optimise for Instances - see documentation."  However we as a body of users can't, on the one hand, complain that we don't have documentation and then on the other, complain when we ignore it. Just to be clear though, I was not complaining - just looking for a solution.