February, 2020 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Lighting and Light Effects

Comments

• 0996ps0996ps Posts: 182
    edited February 2020

Challenge - Light Effects
    Title - Lost in a Thought
    Software Used - DAZ Studio 4.12 Pro, Clip Studio Paint EX 1.6.2, GIMP 2.10.

Second Entry for Light Effects.

I rendered 3 different images with 5 models loaded, and then 2 models, and again 2 models and later combined them all into 1 final render. Oh no! I forgot to render bartender. I hope nobody misses her.

I realized I forgot to give expressions to characters sitting and it was too late since the render had crossed 4-hour mark and I did not want to render again. I am content with the render but I do feel adding expressions could have enhanced it further.

I might fix it cause all I have to do is render the girl sitting there and replace her face with the final render.

Note: The poses I used are very random from different sets I owned and they are not dance poses but I felt like they fit in nicely.
    Fun Fact: Now that I look at both of my Light Effect entries I realize I have moved gobo to the first entry and from there transferred light gels to the second and it is totally opposite of what I initially wanted to do.

Lost in a thought - Combined, Denoised 1k 2000 Iterations.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Chohole on

well done render :) i like the story and the compostion. looking forward to see also your last entry.

Thank you and I uploaded second entry.

edited February 2020

Ambitious scene.  Good luck.

Thank you and I updated, do check out.

Post edited by 0996ps on
    edited February 2020

Challenge - Lighting
    Title - What's your poison.

Second Entry for Lighting.

Voila! We have a our bartender now.

Note: This was one of the 4 test renders I did for lighting challenge. Other ones were, Girl lying on bed and spirit creeping behind, Mage levitating a necklace which resurrected a ghost who was also creeping behind her and valentine day couple scene in a garden I made behind dream home. These other renders did not turn out too good so I dropped those.

Beginner Challenge - Lighting V2 - What's your poison - Watermarked.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

Created this scene for 2nd Light Effects entry but I am not sure if I can even render it with so many models, clothing and lights. I hope I can before the challenge closes.

There are a few tutorials out there how to create your own bilboards.

You could do that with the people in the background.

A second option is to render your scene in multiple smallers steps and overlay the renders in photoshop/gimp.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited February 2020

Challenge - Light Effects
    Title - Lost in a Thought

Second Entry for Light Effects.

I rendered 3 different images with 5 models loaded, and then 2 models, and again 2 models and later combined them all into 1 final render. Oh no! I forgot to render bartender. I hope nobody misses her.

I realized I forgot to give expressions to characters sitting and it was too late since the render had crossed 4-hour mark and I did not want to render again. I am content with the render but I do feel adding expressions could have enhanced it further.

I might fix it cause all I have to do is render the girl sitting there and replace her face with the final render.

Note: The poses I used are very random from different sets I owned and they are not dance poses but I felt like they fit in nicely.
    Fun Fact: Now that I look at both of my Light Effect entries I realize I have moved gobo to the first entry and from there transferred light gels to the second and it is totally opposite of what I initially wanted to do.

I cannot tell you the number of times I have been half way ( or more ) through a render and realized I forgot something.  Using multiple characters like this is ambitious. 

Nicely done.

edited February 2020

Challenge - Lighting
    Title - What's your poison.

Second Entry for Lighting.

Voila! We have a our bartender now.

Note: This was one of the 4 test renders I did for lighting challenge. Other ones were, Girl lying on bed and spirit creeping behind, Mage levitating a necklace which resurrected a ghost who was also creeping behind her and valentine day couple scene in a garden I made behind dream home. These other renders did not turn out too good so I dropped those.

I like her attitude.  She looks like a patron just asked for her number and she has no intention of giving it to them.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2020

TristanQEverett
    I am not quite certain what you are trying to do when you add the inline image,  but you have a lot of redundant stuff, all doubled up code and it is leaving a big blank space above your images'
    I have removed it in Kismet's last quote of your poast,  so you see the difference?

Chohole said:

TristanQEverett
    I am not quite certain what you are trying to do when you add the inline image,  but you have a lot of redundant stuff, all doubled up code and it is leaving a big blank space above your images'
    I have removed it in Kismet's last quote of your poast,  so you see the difference?

I am sorry I can not tell the difference but I have noticed my posts getting edited from a while. I am not used to forums and I am not sure what wrong I did in my posts but thank you for your work. I appreciate it.

Chohole said:

TristanQEverett

Thank you @Chohole

It is the last day of February.  Everyone has done great work this month.  You still have time if there is a really last minute submission you would like to make.  The Challenge closes at DAZ Midnight.

Next month the Challenge will focus on the following:

Beginner:  Posing

Intermediate:  Puppeteer

edited February 2020

double post

Post edited by alex86fire on
    edited February 2020

Ok, so final 2 submissions:

Underground assault:

An afternoon with Grumpy:

LC6.png
    1018 x 1440 - 2M
    Lighting Challenge 2 - cat2.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 864K
    Post edited by alex86fire on
  • SmoerebroetSmoerebroet Posts: 31
    edited February 2020

Hello there!
    This is not only my first post, it is also my first competition and my first official picture i've ever posted and made with DAZ.
    So let me start with the "beginner challenge". ;)
    Title: "Perchta or Frau Holle the elder godess"
    Software used so far DAZ 4.12, Photozoom to resize Materials, Photshop to eliminate some white spots due to insufficient rendertimesad

Used stuff:
    FSL Magic Crown for Genesis 8 (not longer available?)
    Marilla/Pandora Hair/Ryleigh Fuzz/AFE Face Enhancer/Chevalier Armor/SYMFA Gaunts/Godray Lights/and a free Feather from turbosquid
    and yes "look at me II" for maximum of laziness.

Here you go to read a little bit: 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchta
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frau_Holle
    There is also another link i can't find now and that makes me *aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrggg*, maybe someone else find it: Tacitus writes something about a ritual of cleaning a wagon by slaves.
    After cleaning they got drowned. Only a priest is allowed to touch the inner stuff of/in/at that wagon.
    Anyway.
    My goal is to keep Perchta in mind. Even it is only a little bit. Old god, old woman now. Very experienced. ;) Angry? Yes! But also friendly.
    First i tried some HDR, but that was to bright and boring. After some search i bourght the god rays. And they fitted my desires very much.
    So in that version i have 2 spotlights (one god rays and a normal one) and some emmission light from the crown.
    Thats it.
    Enjoy.
    Smoerebroet

Perchta_v32.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 1M
    Post edited by Smoerebroet on

Hello there!
    This is not only my first post, it is also my first competition and my first official picture i've ever posted and made with DAZ.
    So let me start with the "beginner challenge". ;)
    Title: "Perchta or Frau Holle the elder godess"
    Software used so far DAZ 4.12, Photozoom to resize Materials, Photshop to eliminate some white spots due to insufficient rendertimesad

Used stuff:
    FSL Magic Crown for Genesis 8 (not longer available?)
    Marilla/Pandora Hair/Ryleigh Fuzz/AFE Face Enhancer/Chevalier Armor/SYMFA Gaunts/Godray Lights/and a free Feather from turbosquid
    and yes "look at me II" for maximum of laziness.

Here you go to read a little bit: 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchta
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frau_Holle
    There is also another link i can't find now and that makes me *aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrggg*, maybe someone else find it: Tacitus writes something about a ritual of cleaning a wagon by slaves.
    After cleaning they got drowned. Only a priest is allowed to touch the inner stuff of/in/at that wagon.
    Anyway.
    My goal is to keep Perchta in mind. Even it is only a little bit. Old god, old woman now. Very experienced. ;) Angry? Yes! But also friendly.
    First i tried some HDR, but that was to bright and boring. After some search i bourght the god rays. And they fitted my desires very much.
    So in that version i have 2 spotlights (one god rays and a normal one) and some emmission light from the crown.
    Thats it.
    Enjoy.
    Smoerebroet

Welcome to the New User Challenge @Smoerebroet

You have some really nice shadows on her face.  The armour definitely has a weathered look and you hightlighted it nicely.

This is really well done for a first render.

• Super late entry, I'm sorry for that.
    Thanks for the Gobo tutorials and challenge. Alas this one took a lot of time to finish and had no time to make an entry for the intermedier chalenge too, so this image is only for the

Beginner Challenge - Lightning.

Added some fences (fishnet shaders ftw!) outside the windows to experiment with some shadows, but as I understand the definition from wiki, that doesn't count as gobo.

Title: Sunset in the Gym
    Used software: Daz 4.12 and Photoshop for jpg conversion.

Scene3final.jpg
    1018 x 1440 - 902K
  • edited March 2020

So I had a lot of trouble with my previous entry, the scooby doo one. Could not get it figured out. So I started from scratch and did something else entirely "Horror From the Deep"

This is for the Beginning lighting challenge. I am amazed at what can be done with 3Delight after doing this. I was initimidated at first, but its amazing how you can paint with lights using 3DL. And the rock shaders I used to transform Low Tide did wonders. I have 2 distant lights and 5 spot lights. Had to convert all kinds of iray mats to 3DL but I'm pretty happy with it overall.

No postwork, just a straight 3DL render. I wish I had time to add some air bubbles and stuff like that but its at the deadline so here it is.

Daddy Long Legs-Beginner Lighting contest Feb 2020.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by Mister Daddy Longlegs on
  • LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 402
    edited March 2020

Eep! I had a feeling all day I was forgetting something!

Here is my final render for the intermediate lighting contest:

After a number of unsucessful tries to make the tutu work with the pose, I gave up and put her in shorts instead. While I do miss the juxtaposition of classic and modern ballet, I do think this version does a better job of showcasing the lighting. If anyone's interested, I attatched the most successful render I managed with the tutu to this post.

I was also inspired by some of the more minimalist, rim-lighting approaches others have taken, and completely re-did the lighting for this image using that style. Amazing what a difference lighting makes!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/5c/8c0d0ccb075e8af833d623951c099a.png

gobo challenge 1 v7.png
    741 x 960 - 430K
    gobo challenge 1 v5-2.png
    741 x 960 - 1M
    gobo challenge 1 v4.png
    741 x 960 - 1M
    Post edited by LaPartita on
    edited March 2020

Super late entry, I'm sorry for that.
    Thanks for the Gobo tutorials and challenge. Alas this one took a lot of time to finish and had no time to make an entry for the intermedier chalenge too, so this image is only for the

Beginner Challenge - Lightning.

Added some fences (fishnet shaders ftw!) outside the windows to experiment with some shadows, but as I understand the definition from wiki, that doesn't count as gobo.

Title: Sunset in the Gym
    Used software: Daz 4.12 and Photoshop for jpg conversion.

I think intermediate challenge was light effects and gobo/gel light were just an example of light effects. I realized it only when I was posting my last entry. Anyway, your render is magnificent. After seeing all this enteries and so much activity this month I think I will have to do extra hardwork in March challenge.
    Post edited by 0996ps on
    It will be rude for me to tag multiple people but I am very grateful to everyone here for helping me and each other out. Having small irrelevant questions, creating plane for rain and atmosphere, ghost lighting, difference in light color and temperatures, shading glossy effects in Iray, color correction, contrast scale, and even getting my posts edited and corrected. I appreciate everyone's help here and I hope to see you guys in next months challenge..
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

This challenge is now closed.

Thanks to everyone for participating!

• bastian2560bastian2560 Posts: 81
    edited March 2020

Yeah i know, it's closed. I'm not going to spend three days to redoing this and not post it.

Ok, i changed the lighting rig some to get better shadows. Changed the glass shader on the bulb to get better light scatter. changed the skin so it is not as shiny.

Finally worked out how to make the left ear on genisses semi transperent. And add DOF.

I think it looks ok.

Magic6.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1018K
    Post edited by bastian2560 on
  • BTW. All the renders are amassing.

• I think intermediate challenge was light effects and gobo/gel light were just an example of light effects. I realized it only when I was posting my last entry. Anyway, your render is magnificent. After seeing all this enteries and so much activity this month I think I will have to do extra hardwork in March challenge.

Doh! Next time I'll use my brain too when reading stuff! xD
    Thank you! Liked your bartender image a lot too and making multiple renders with a few people on them and merging later was a pretty good idea, will definitely try that out if I want to render similar images! o.o

• well done render :) i like the story and the compostion. looking forward to see also your last entry.

Thank you and I uploaded second entry.

It ist an awesome render. Glad you made it in time.
  • Welcome to the New User Challenge @Smoerebroet

You have some really nice shadows on her face.  The armour definitely has a weathered look and you hightlighted it nicely.

This is really well done for a first render.

Thank you very much. I'm not absolutly new to 3D. Started in the late 90ties and collected some experience in 3d Max, Bryce, VUE,  and Poser. (I think it was Poser1.xD) Switched to Cinema 4D at university of applied science. But the last 10 years i've done nothing.
    I work in a lean (?) 3D Art area. I've installed DAZ Studio last year in late summer. Since then i'm "hard" testing and trying. So far DAZ Studio is easier for me to get faster and better renderings with less fiddling in Raytrays, Causics and no Vertex shove (exept D-Former ;)).
    This Picture here is my first one i show in a community.

• CarlCGCarlCG Posts: 114

@Smoerebroet

That's a really nice looking render you posted. I'm very curious as I use Cinema 4D for modeling as well (and Zbrush), but have only been doing it for a short time. I've been doing 3D art for about 1.5 years and modeling/texturing for about half that time... Do you model in C4D, and which render engine do you use with it?  Also I was wondering what kind of work are you referring to when you say you work in a ;"lean" 3D art area... do you work with autoCAD or something?  I too find that I get better renders with DAZ than I can get with Cinema's native engines. (I don't know if I'd say that about everything when using Octane or Redshift though). ..Octane for Daz is now free for full version also though btw. 

@Smoerebroet

That's a really nice looking render you posted. I'm very curious as I use Cinema 4D for modeling as well (and Zbrush), but have only been doing it for a short time. I've been doing 3D art for about 1.5 years and modeling/texturing for about half that time... Do you model in C4D, and which render engine do you use with it?  Also I was wondering what kind of work are you referring to when you say you work in a ;"lean" 3D art area... do you work with autoCAD or something?  I too find that I get better renders with DAZ than I can get with Cinema's native engines. (I don't know if I'd say that about everything when using Octane or Redshift though). ..Octane for Daz is now free for full version also though btw. 

Octane is really free? damn nice news.

• CarlCGCarlCG Posts: 114

@TristanQEverett

The full working version of Octane is now free only for Daz and Blender. For all other programs it is still paid only. Btw I was going to comment but you seemed to have already gotten a lot of feedback on your images… all your finals look really nicely done. What you did with the Night Lounge was very impressive. I have it and remember converting all the lighting manually and it didn’t look anywhere near as good as you got it to appear. A very involved task as there’s so many different kinds and qualities of lights in that environment. The poses look just right for dancing in a club, and you blended the multiple figure sets together really cohesively. 

Also, I think it was you that said you wanted to do original content design on an earlier post… Just wanted to say you should get going with it, try blender sooner rather than waiting. It’s never too early to start learning modeling, texturing, etc. You definitely have some strong artistic prowess so I would encourage you to give it a shot. If you can model a chair, you can model a table too… which means you can then also model other interior items like a shelf and bed… which means you can model a room. A couple of these, and some basic props, windows/doors/walls will be very simple, you can do all these from basic primitive shapes, which means you can model a house. You’ll be able to do it faster than you think I bet, just start small like a chair, side table, or shelf.  If you can model one house, you can do multiple, and before you know it, you’ve made a neighborhood/city. There are easy to follow tutorials on how to model ground terrain/grass, etc. using the free plugins with blender… and I mean EASY for someone like you. You can also sculpt your own custom character morphs with blenders new/improved sculpting tool… starting with a G8F base model you export from Daz. Sky’s the limit.

@TristanQEverett

The full working version of Octane is now free only for Daz and Blender. For all other programs it is still paid only. Btw I was going to comment but you seemed to have already gotten a lot of feedback on your images… all your finals look really nicely done. What you did with the Night Lounge was very impressive. I have it and remember converting all the lighting manually and it didn’t look anywhere near as good as you got it to appear. A very involved task as there’s so many different kinds and qualities of lights in that environment. The poses look just right for dancing in a club, and you blended the multiple figure sets together really cohesively. 

Also, I think it was you that said you wanted to do original content design on an earlier post… Just wanted to say you should get going with it, try blender sooner rather than waiting. It’s never too early to start learning modeling, texturing, etc. You definitely have some strong artistic prowess so I would encourage you to give it a shot. If you can model a chair, you can model a table too… which means you can then also model other interior items like a shelf and bed… which means you can model a room. A couple of these, and some basic props, windows/doors/walls will be very simple, you can do all these from basic primitive shapes, which means you can model a house. You’ll be able to do it faster than you think I bet, just start small like a chair, side table, or shelf.  If you can model one house, you can do multiple, and before you know it, you’ve made a neighborhood/city. There are easy to follow tutorials on how to model ground terrain/grass, etc. using the free plugins with blender… and I mean EASY for someone like you. You can also sculpt your own custom character morphs with blenders new/improved sculpting tool… starting with a G8F base model you export from Daz. Sky’s the limit.

wow, some of the results from Octane look amazing. And it's free for Daz!

My only concern is the amount of time one would have to spend to adapt the Iray materials and skins for the Octane render.

Do you have any experience with that and how long it takes?