For Daz Developers: Dynamic Clothing...

jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Is there a new Dynamic Clothing plugin being worked on? One that more vendors can create clothing than just one person? I love dynamic clothing, especially for animation but there really needs to be something we can use that allows more than one person to create products for it! I modify what's out there for my own use but not everyone knows how to do that. So I ask again...is there a new dynamics engine coming?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

jaebea said:
    Is there a new Dynamic Clothing plugin being worked on? One that more vendors can create clothing than just one person? I love dynamic clothing, especially for animation but there really needs to be something we can use that allows more than one person to create products for it! I modify what's out there for my own use but not everyone knows how to do that. So I ask again...is there a new dynamics engine coming?

For studio...probably not.

Basically, it appears that the Optitex system is here to stay and not much is advancing in that area...now, that said, there are several experiments with an overall soft body/physics tie in for Studio that could conceivably do an 'end run' around the clothing dynamics by making any mesh 'dynamic'.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    jaebea said:

Basically, it appears that the Optitex system is here to stay and not much is advancing in that area...now, that said, there are several experiments with an overall soft body/physics tie in for Studio that could conceivably do an 'end run' around the clothing dynamics by making any mesh 'dynamic'.

Don't be so sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5kG78L86W8&list=UUKAe1ArtEbWdXUIyF0KlEcA

Kendall

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    jaebea said:

Don't be so sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5kG78L86W8&list=UUKAe1ArtEbWdXUIyF0KlEcA

Kendall

Iiiiiinteresting.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

YAY. Can't wait to see how this develops!

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

Kendall, what was that??? I notice you didn't include a description anywhere explaining what that was for. Can you tell us anymore about it?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

But is that just a cloth sim or is it one of the soft body/physics experiments I mentioned?

edited March 2014

jaebea said:
    Kendall, what was that??? I notice you didn’t include a description anywhere explaining what that was for. Can you tell us anymore about it?

But is that just a cloth sim or is it one of the soft body/physics experiments I mentioned?

It is both a cloth sim, and a basic physics engine that is going to be used for a number of projects. There are a lot more facets to it than these though. LAMH will benefit, as will Infinito and other projects.

At the moment, I cannot go into too many details other than it is in active development. I do not want to divulge too much so that possible competitors won't get any ideas from seeing details.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

It is both a cloth sim, and a basic physics engine that is going to be used for a number of projects. There are a lot more facets to it than these though.

Would you mind if we all perch on your shoulder, watch, and drool? That was some very nice smooth movement in that simple little sequence. If it solves the basic dynamics problem (not being able to dynamically drape a random mesh), allows for resizing without the limitations of the Optitex plugin, allows us to convert and use all our old Optitex stuff, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I'll definitely want to buy it.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

It is both a cloth sim, and a basic physics engine that is going to be used for a number of projects. There are a lot more facets to it than these though.

Would you mind if we all perch on your shoulder, watch, and drool? That was some very nice smooth movement in that simple little sequence. If it solves the basic dynamics problem (not being able to dynamically drape a random mesh), allows for resizing without the limitations of the Optitex plugin, allows us to convert and use all our old Optitex stuff, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I'll definitely want to buy it.

Well, not an arm AND a leg, you'll need your arms to use your computer. A leg, on the other hand...

edited March 2014

Conversion of the Optitex stuff shouldn't be a problem. We are familiar with the Optitex (OD) stuff as LAMH can already add fur to the Optitex Dynamics (coming soon). If you look on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAe1ArtEbWdXUIyF0KlEcA/videos you will see some tests of LAMH on my good friend Thespisis Dynamic Towel set http://www.daz3d.com/ds-dynamic-towels (for those wondering, LAMH used the pattern provided by Thespisis for the towels as a density map, I ramped up the hair width to match the size of terry cloth, and matched the counts). Those were done some time ago, but there are some technical issues that have been delaying LAMH activation for the OD. Those issues are almost resolved.

I do not mind if people watch, new developments will likely appear on the youtube channel before they come to these forums.

That cloth sequence was captured in realtime. There was no "rendering" for that vid.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

This is really amazing and I will be on your shoulder watching as this develops! So exciting!

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

Conversion of the Optitex stuff shouldn't be a problem. We are familiar with the Optitex (OD) stuff as LAMH can already add fur to the Optitex Dynamics (coming soon). If you look on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAe1ArtEbWdXUIyF0KlEcA/videos you will see some tests of LAMH on my good friend Thespisis Dynamic Towel set http://www.daz3d.com/ds-dynamic-towels (for those wondering, LAMH used the pattern provided by Thespisis for the towels as a density map, I ramped up the hair width to match the size of terry cloth, and matched the counts). Those were done some time ago, but there are some technical issues that have been delaying LAMH activation for the OD. Those issues are almost resolved.

I do not mind if people watch, new developments will likely appear on the youtube channel before they come to these forums.

That cloth sequence was captured in realtime. There was no "rendering" for that vid.

Kendall

So are we talking about an external plug-in type thing like LAMH is, then? I'd still use it, I'm just curious. I understand if you want to keep things confidential until you're ready to release.

edited December 1969

I apologize. I had a couple of the towel vids set to 'unlisted' they are now available for viewing.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Kendall

So are we talking about an external plug-in type thing like LAMH is, then? I'd still use it, I'm just curious. I understand if you want to keep things confidential until you're ready to release.

It will be external, but connected. The plans for it require that it sit above the environments that it supports.

Kendall

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Is anyone else having to wait a long time (nearly a minute sometimes) before random YouTube pages finish loading and the video is ready to start? Never seen anything liike this before, it just seems to have started today.

Very nice, smooth draping. I want!

edited December 1969

Will all clothing be able to be used with this? Or just clothing objects (clothing figures turned into props)? If you can't divulge too much info, I will understand.

edited December 1969

jaebea said:
    Will all clothing be able to be used with this? Or just clothing objects (clothing figures turned into props)? If you can't divulge too much info, I will understand.

I want something more than Poser's Cloth Room. How much flexibility is going to be available with specific items is unknown at the current time.

Kendall

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Looks really great so far! :-)

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

I could kiss you.

edited December 1969

I want to make clear that this is still a ways off. Don't expect it this summer, for instance.

However, as you can see, work has started.

Kendall

edited December 1969

It is just such a good feeling knowing there is hope in this area!

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

a really 3d animated fire ?
    don't we need a particle system for this?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I want to make clear that this is still a ways off. Don't expect it this summer, for instance.

However, as you can see, work has started.

Kendall

ell we have waited this long another year won't matter. But like others I am excited about this. Yes we can do this with other programs that are that expensive or even free but I like DS workflow and UI so to have functions like this will be so awesome.
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

ruphuss said:

The original Particles for DS was supposed to be updated for DS4 but that seems to have stalled.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    ruphuss said:

The original Particles for DS was supposed to be updated for DS4 but that seems to have stalled.

that's a pity

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited December 1969

Creeps into a quiet corner to wait and see what happens...this looks really good.

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited March 2014

jaebea said:

I want something more than Poser's Cloth Room. How much flexibility is going to be available with specific items is unknown at the current time.

Kendall
    Much closer to, say, Marvelous Designer, for example? MD2 pro version seemed to do impressive simulations on animated figures while it was itself a great clothes creation tool.

Post edited by Coon Ra on
    edited December 1969

Coon, I love MD2 but something happened to Daz's collada. The texture is messed up and MD can hardly move it. I have tried so many different ways to get it in there and it just won't work anymore! I was broken hearted!

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,930
    edited December 1969

I always figured that it would end up being PAs who would push something like this through the DAZ dynamic barrier. This is the kind of thing I wouldn't mind throwing kickstarter funds at... :)

• kurisu2112kurisu2112 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

I always figured that it would end up being PAs who would push something like this through the DAZ dynamic barrier. This is the kind of thing I wouldn't mind throwing kickstarter funds at... :)

+1