[In store now] Felidae by AM - Smilodon Populator

For the folks interested, another animal to add to your collection, back from the Pleistocene... the fearsome Smilodon Populator. Base and Companion pack with plenty of poses, morphs and fur color schemes. Each come with all fur options available (3DL LAMH, Iray Catalyzer, Iray dForce/dHair), so you can pick and use the one you prefer. Hope you'll like it!

https://www.daz3d.com/felidae-by-am--smilodon-populator
https://www.daz3d.com/felidae-by-am--smilodon-populator--companion-pack

smilodonPopulatorAM-main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 501K
smilodonPopulatorAM-popup1.jpg
1233 x 1100 - 648K
smilodonPopulatorAM-popup2.jpg
1000 x 885 - 428K
smilodonPopulatorAM-popup3.jpg
1042 x 862 - 311K
smilodonPopulatorAM-popup4.jpg
1172 x 1205 - 138K
smilodonPopulatorAM-popup7.jpg
1000 x 1000 - 423K
SmilodonPopulatorCompanionPack-popup1.jpg
1116 x 1333 - 1M
SmilodonPopulatorCompanionPack-popup2.jpg
703 x 595 - 204K
SmilodonPopulatorCompanionPack-main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 540K
SmilodonPopulatorCompanionPack-popup3.jpg
703 x 595 - 217K
SmilodonPopulatorCompanionPack-popup4.jpg
703 x 555 - 139K
SmilodonPopulatorCompanionPack-popup5.jpg
1986 x 1400 - 3M
Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on

Comments

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

He looks gorgeous!  Hit my cart as soon as I seen him!!  Awesome job as always!!

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Snapped up along with Companion immediately, Pleased and thankful for dForce/Iray fur option. Hoping for retro fit of previous animals.

• SamanthieSamanthie Posts: 308

Got him! Looking forward to more your work is outstanding AM! heart

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552
    edited March 2020

looks amazing!! Love the promo art with the mammoth, nice work!

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

Instant purchase, both sets.  First priority tomorrow is food but, once that's dealt with, I will then have a play around with your new kitten. 

Cheers,

Alex.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited March 2020

Thanks a lot, as usual, for the kind commentd and support, it's really appreciated! I've got lot more critters coming: some wild, some furry, some not furry, some domestic ones (hint hint)... so stay tuned...

• Your big cat seems a pure wonder!
    The cradle with the little cat is very appreciate

(Il tuo grande gatto sembra una pura meraviglia!
    La culla con il gattino è molto apprezzata.
    (Mi scuserai per aver parlato di mala forma.)

• markgoode77markgoode77 Posts: 343

So how exactly do you make it work in Iray without it crashing to desktop on load?

Thanks.

edited March 2020

So how exactly do you make it work in Iray without it crashing to desktop on load?

Thanks.

On load? Are you sure you have latest Catalyzer version, 1.9? Alternatively, you can try the dHair version. Eventually you can contact me directly at [email protected], I'll help you with that.

Thanks.

On load? Are you sure you have latest Catalyzer version, 1.9? Alternatively, you can try the dHair version. Eventually you can contact me directly at [email protected], I'll help you with that.

I'm not sure if I'm using catalyzer 1.9 or not, the LAMH2 Catalyzer dialogue window displays no version number.  As it is, the catalyzer version crashes to desktop every time.  The 3DL LAMH version loads, but I want to use Iray.  I can load the 3DL figure and put the Dforce hair on it, but that doesn't look good.  I'll see if I can find an upgrade to catalyzer.  If I still have problems I'll send you an email.  Thanks for your reply.

• So how exactly do you make it work in Iray without it crashing to desktop on load?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if I'm using catalyzer 1.9 or not, the LAMH2 Catalyzer dialogue window displays no version number.  As it is, the catalyzer version crashes to desktop every time.  The 3DL LAMH version loads, but I want to use Iray.  I can load the 3DL figure and put the Dforce hair on it, but that doesn't look good.  I'll see if I can find an upgrade to catalyzer.  If I still have problems I'll send you an email.  Thanks for your reply.

Mark, see attached screenshot: just load one of the assets I listed, it has to load without issues...

sshot-2.jpg
    2419 x 1596 - 498K

Thanks.

Mark, see attached screenshot: just load one of the assets I listed, it has to load without issues...

Ah, thanks, that works.  I was launching from the Smart Content tab, where the dForce versions don't appear.  Thanks for your help.

• So how exactly do you make it work in Iray without it crashing to desktop on load?

Thanks.

Ah, thanks, that works.  I was launching from the Smart Content tab, where the dForce versions don't appear.  Thanks for your help.

You're welcome

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,303

RAWR!  I mean WOOHOO!!  Can't wait to get home tonight and play with this!  Smilodons and Mammoths.... you're my HERO!  As always, just stunning work, Alessandro! 

• Jewel DesignsJewel Designs Posts: 1,467

I do have catalyzer 1.9, and indeed it crashes every time I try to render it using the catalyzer render.  iray dforce figure loads, but locks up when I try to render.  I do not believe it is my computer because your other catalyzer animals work just fine.  3DL works and renders, but I really wanted iray.

• I do have catalyzer 1.9, and indeed it crashes every time I try to render it using the catalyzer render.  iray dforce figure loads, but locks up when I try to render.  I do not believe it is my computer because your other catalyzer animals work just fine.  3DL works and renders, but I really wanted iray.

Email me the log files if you want, I can take a look at what's going on. For the Catalyzer, did you try enabling the "Safe mode" option? dForce, I don't know... what video card do you have?

• Jewel DesignsJewel Designs Posts: 1,467

So, i downloaded the 3DL figure, used the lamh to create all the furs, and then changed the base and each fur file to iray, and it worked. Not sure if it is the best it should be, though. I think there is something wrong with this product because, like i said, all your other catalyzer products work just fine. 

edited March 2020

Both the dforce and the catalyzer versions are crashing mine also.  Tried the catalyzer with safe mode enabled.

Ok so after some testing I have figured out it is a memory issue on my end, these tests were done with the catalyzer version.  I can render at Hair Density 3 with the dome on (see attached: He is gorgeous!)  If the dome is off I can render at Hair Density 4.  Shame to because he is fluffer with the density higher.  I was watching Task Manager and the crash happens right after catalyzer does its thing and then kicks over to start the render, at that point there is not enough memory for the geometry/textures I guess and it crashes the computer.  Last look before the crash Memory was at 14.5GB and I only have 16 total unfortunately. 

Computer specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

16 GB Ram

Dual Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060's 6GB each

saber.jpg
    982 x 1033 - 676K
    Post edited by Daventaki on
  • EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 438

Since it uses the lion as a base, enjoy switcharoos.

liodon.png
    999 x 999 - 1M
    liodon2.png
    999 x 777 - 673K
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,609

Both Catalyzer and dForce versions are working for me. Totally in love and have been waiting for this critter! Do you have plans to release the cub as a morph? 

I've also attached a comparison between LAMH (Catalyzer) and dForce...dForce is much floofier and I think my preference for this guy. 

Capture.jpg
    3022 x 1910 - 3M
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,303
    edited March 2020

dForce Hair version. Just taking it for a test spin.

VT_Smilodon1_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1200 x 1920 - 362K
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • Daventaki said:

Both the dforce and the catalyzer versions are crashing mine also.  Tried the catalyzer with safe mode enabled.

Ok so after some testing I have figured out it is a memory issue on my end, these tests were done with the catalyzer version.  I can render at Hair Density 3 with the dome on (see attached: He is gorgeous!)  If the dome is off I can render at Hair Density 4.  Shame to because he is fluffer with the density higher.  I was watching Task Manager and the crash happens right after catalyzer does its thing and then kicks over to start the render, at that point there is not enough memory for the geometry/textures I guess and it crashes the computer.  Last look before the crash Memory was at 14.5GB and I only have 16 total unfortunately. 

Computer specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

16 GB Ram

Dual Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060's 6GB each

Hi, what you could try to mitigate the results, in the dForce version you might want to increase the hair width, like doubling it, and reduce the tip size: that way hairs are thicker but do get pointy at the end giving a decent appearance and the illusion of a dense fur.

• Gogger said:

dForce Hair version. Just taking it for a test spin.

Nice one!

edited March 2020

Both Catalyzer and dForce versions are working for me. Totally in love and have been waiting for this critter! Do you have plans to release the cub as a morph? 

I've also attached a comparison between LAMH (Catalyzer) and dForce...dForce is much floofier and I think my preference for this guy. 

Cool renders! About the cub, you bet... and it's about done...

lionCub.jpg
    1427 x 1190 - 350K

Cool renders! About the cub, you bet... and it's about done...

*squee* I can't wait. I can't wait for all of the floofies! And not so floofies! And domestic floofies! Good lawd, I'd love to see what you'd do with more stuff for DH2 (already have the Gnu). 

edited March 2020

Hi, what you could try to mitigate the results, in the dForce version you might want to increase the hair width, like doubling it, and reduce the tip size: that way hairs are thicker but do get pointy at the end giving a decent appearance and the illusion of a dense fur.

Thank you Alessandro I will try that as soon as I get back to my computer!

@melissastjames May I as how much ram you are running on your machine?  Mine is a little older but its not that bad of a machine, I dont think.  I ended up buying an extra GPU when I decided to upgrade last time instead of upgrading the Ram.

+1 on what melissastjames said on the floofies!!!!  Better start saving money now!

Post edited by Daventaki on
    Daventaki said:

@melissastjames May I as how much ram you are running on your machine?  Mine is a little older but its not that bad of a machine, I dont think.  I ended up buying an extra GPU when I decided to upgrade last time instead of upgrading the Ram.

+1 on what melissastjames said on the floofies!!!!  Better start saving money now!

My system was built mid-way thru 2017 - 

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 RAM
    EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 GPU

I've been fighting with myself so hard on not jumping the broom on the 2080TI FTW 3 that came out recently...it's just sickening how much these cards have gone up in price...I paid $750 for the 1080TI FTW3 back in 2017 and now the same class of card is almost double. Just *gags*. I don't know that going form the 1080TI to the 2080TI would be worth it considering they have the same amount of VRAM. You'd think for that much of a jump in price, you'd get more VRAM. 

ANYWAYS...rant asside...I did notice that quite a bit of my system RAM was getting engaged when the kitty was rendering. I don't normally sit and watch, so I can't say if that's normal, but it was defintely rendering on the GPU because it was done in like 3min, but while the RAM usage showed something like 75%, GPU usage was sitting at around 2%...unless my hardware monitor was being wonky. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552
    edited March 2020
    Daventaki said:

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 GPU

I've been fighting with myself so hard on not jumping the broom on the 2080TI FTW 3 that came out recently...it's just sickening how much these cards have gone up in price...I paid $750 for the 1080TI FTW3 back in 2017 and now the same class of card is almost double. Just *gags*. I don't know that going form the 1080TI to the 2080TI would be worth it considering they have the same amount of VRAM. You'd think for that much of a jump in price, you'd get more VRAM. 

ANYWAYS...rant asside...I did notice that quite a bit of my system RAM was getting engaged when the kitty was rendering. I don't normally sit and watch, so I can't say if that's normal, but it was defintely rendering on the GPU because it was done in like 3min, but while the RAM usage showed something like 75%, GPU usage was sitting at around 2%...unless my hardware monitor was being wonky. 

Makes wonder how possible it would be to render with a clothed person or two in the scene with it. One of the promos has 4 cats and 2 mammoths in it, guess that wasn't a single render now, sigh.

BTW great test renders!

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • Daventaki said:

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 GPU

Makes wonder how possible it would be to render with a clothed person or two in the scene with it. One of the promos has 4 cats and 2 mammoths in it, guess that wasn't a single render now, sigh.

BTW great test renders!

I did that image in separate layers: I prepared the whole scene, using models without fur, so that it would be easier and faster to pose and place the animals around, do a quick preview render to see if the scene was ok. Once done that step, I replaced the items with the furred counterparts, and later I rendered the mammoths alone, and smilodons on another pass, splitting them in two groups. Then I merged all the layers in photoshop, added the background and minor adjustments...

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited March 2020

Whereas *I* am grateful for the 3DL and original LAMH support. Thank you!

Post edited by JOdel on