[In store now] Felidae by AM - Smilodon Populator

2»

Comments

• TimotheusTimotheus Posts: 238

Absolutely amazing work, AM! I have been watching your progress with this one on your Facebook page. Absolutely amazing every step of the way!

Tim

• Timotheus said:

Absolutely amazing work, AM! I have been watching your progress with this one on your Facebook page. Absolutely amazing every step of the way!

Tim

Thanks to you for the kind words. Cheers!

• JOdel said:

Whereas *I* am grateful for the 3DL and original LAMH support. Thank you!

You're welcome.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited March 2020
    Daventaki said:

Hi, what you could try to mitigate the results, in the dForce version you might want to increase the hair width, like doubling it, and reduce the tip size: that way hairs are thicker but do get pointy at the end giving a decent appearance and the illusion of a dense fur.

Thank you Alessandro I will try that as soon as I get back to my computer!

@melissastjames May I as how much ram you are running on your machine?  Mine is a little older but its not that bad of a machine, I dont think.  I ended up buying an extra GPU when I decided to upgrade last time instead of upgrading the Ram.

+1 on what melissastjames said on the floofies!!!!  Better start saving money now!

My system was built mid-way thru 2017 - 

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 RAM
    EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 GPU

I've been fighting with myself so hard on not jumping the broom on the 2080TI FTW 3 that came out recently...it's just sickening how much these cards have gone up in price...I paid $750 for the 1080TI FTW3 back in 2017 and now the same class of card is almost double. Just *gags*. I don't know that going form the 1080TI to the 2080TI would be worth it considering they have the same amount of VRAM. You'd think for that much of a jump in price, you'd get more VRAM. 

ANYWAYS...rant asside...I did notice that quite a bit of my system RAM was getting engaged when the kitty was rendering. I don't normally sit and watch, so I can't say if that's normal, but it was defintely rendering on the GPU because it was done in like 3min, but while the RAM usage showed something like 75%, GPU usage was sitting at around 2%...unless my hardware monitor was being wonky. 

@melissastjames Then both of ours were being wonky because mine was doing the same. But GPU-z showed more activity on the GPU during render than task manager did.  Thank you for the info.  I can fill you pain on the GPU decision I had a hard time deciding also.  If I had know I would dive back into the 3d world like I have I probably would have made some different decisions at the time but I was only gaming then.

@Alessandro Mastronardi I have yet not been able to render the dforce version at all.   Its irritating because everything that seems to max out my memory crashes the whole computer and so I have to wait for it to restart and it stresses me out cause I know that cant be good for the computer either.  Makes me wonder if something is not set up right.  Anyway off to play some more and see if I can get it to work.  But I can still use the catalyzer version so all is good. 

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited March 2020
    Daventaki said:
    Daventaki said:

Hi, what you could try to mitigate the results, in the dForce version you might want to increase the hair width, like doubling it, and reduce the tip size: that way hairs are thicker but do get pointy at the end giving a decent appearance and the illusion of a dense fur.

Thank you Alessandro I will try that as soon as I get back to my computer!

@melissastjames May I as how much ram you are running on your machine?  Mine is a little older but its not that bad of a machine, I dont think.  I ended up buying an extra GPU when I decided to upgrade last time instead of upgrading the Ram.

+1 on what melissastjames said on the floofies!!!!  Better start saving money now!

My system was built mid-way thru 2017 - 

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
    32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 RAM
    EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 GPU

I've been fighting with myself so hard on not jumping the broom on the 2080TI FTW 3 that came out recently...it's just sickening how much these cards have gone up in price...I paid $750 for the 1080TI FTW3 back in 2017 and now the same class of card is almost double. Just *gags*. I don't know that going form the 1080TI to the 2080TI would be worth it considering they have the same amount of VRAM. You'd think for that much of a jump in price, you'd get more VRAM. 

ANYWAYS...rant asside...I did notice that quite a bit of my system RAM was getting engaged when the kitty was rendering. I don't normally sit and watch, so I can't say if that's normal, but it was defintely rendering on the GPU because it was done in like 3min, but while the RAM usage showed something like 75%, GPU usage was sitting at around 2%...unless my hardware monitor was being wonky. 

@melissastjames Then both of ours were being wonky because mine was doing the same. But GPU-z showed more activity on the GPU during render than task manager did.  Thank you for the info.  I can fill you pain on the GPU decision I had a hard time deciding also.  If I had know I would dive back into the 3d world like I have I probably would have made some different decisions at the time but I was only gaming then.

@Alessandro Mastronardi I have yet not been able to render the dforce version at all.   Its irritating because everything that seems to max out my memory crashes the whole computer and so I have to wait for it to restart and it stresses me out cause I know that cant be good for the computer either.  Makes me wonder if something is not set up right.  Anyway off to play some more and see if I can get it to work.  But I can still use the catalyzer version so all is good. 

I was watching it on my NZXT CAM software, which is what is needed for my AIO cooler. I'll have to consider installing GPU-z again...haven't used that in ages. I try not to have too many hardware monitoring programs as sometimes they don't play nicely with each other. 

On your crashes, have you checked your Windows update history? I literally just had to do a full reinstall of Windows yesterday (before I got back up and running and rendered this kitty no prob). My friend sent me an article she found that apparently there is a really bad update that just dropped on 2/27 that is causing system crashes and bad behavior to the point of not being able to boot. I had very similar symptoms to yours (crashing while rendering) before my system just up and NOPED right into not being able to boot at all. Might want to check to see if you have update KB4535996 and if so, uninstall it. I'm not sure if I can link to it here, so remove if necessary, but here is the article - 

https://lifehacker.com/if-your-pc-is-struggling-to-boot-uninstall-this-window-1842155080

Post edited by MelissaGT on

That update is not installed, thank goodness! I ordered more ram suppose to be better than what I am running and will put me at 32GB.  If im still crashing then Ill have to pick things apart til I figure out whats going on.  So im crossing my fingers that it all works out because I really want to render this beatiful creature at full potential!

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,582
    edited March 2020

Just purchased it and I am actually finding it to be a lot less of a strain on resources than I expected, at least for the dforce SBH version. i am glad AM went with the populator version instead of the more common fatalis.

cullingtheherd.jpg
    1517 x 849 - 1M
    Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,321

My first attempts!  The first two are done with Dforce, the last two with the catalyzer, which I find easier to use and it also seems to render faster.

The emperor's zoo in Sirenopolis has a quite deplorable safety record.  His latest acquisition has managed to escape after only a few hours and is now prowling the streets of the city, looking for lunch.  If it's unlucky, it will soon bump into Archmage Serena, senior enforcer with the sisterhood of the Future Mages.  If it's really unlucky, she'll be in a bad mood.

Cheers,

Alex.

The Emperors New Kitten 1.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 767K
    The Emperors New Kitten 2.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 669K
    The Emperors New Kitten 3.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 769K
    The Emperors New Kitten 4.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 733K
  • Great renders Alex, I like them all. I must say probably the lion-like fur pattern is the one I like more.

• Jewel DesignsJewel Designs Posts: 1,467
    edited March 2020

Finally got it to work.  Had to change "5" to "3" and render in "safe mode."  Just love this guy!!!!

Critters 501.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Jewel Designs on
  • LintonLinton Posts: 541

Awesome as always! Thank you Alessandro!

Grabbed both the Smilodon and the Companion pack, cant wait to test them out!

• Glad you like it guys, and the images you do with it are great!

• Jewel DesignsJewel Designs Posts: 1,467
    edited March 2020

Alessandro, this is absolutely fabulous.  Love the details I am able to obtain.  This is your original felidae combined with the fur from the smilodon populator.

Majestic 100.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Jewel Designs on
  • Alessandro, this is absolutely fabulous.  Love the details I am able to obtain.  This is your original felidae combined with the fur from the smilodon populator.

Well done and yes, one can mix shapes at will...

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited March 2020

I found that if I load the Smilodon figure with the default fur, my machine crashes. But...if I load the figure and delete the attached fur, let the Iray viewport render, and then use the "hair" option to add fur, I am able to render. I imagine that there is something about the default grouping of figure and hair that eats the last bit of memory, while loading them separately avoids the grouping issue. In fact, the render doesnt take long. I tried to use the LAMH catalyzer at first, but I got an error message saying there was no item to run the catalyzer on. Apparenty only a dForce option, which I just let the generic pose work for me. In fact, my workaround did not take much extra time, and rendered in full fur (added separately) with regular Iray in about 3 minutes. I don't have all the specs to hand, suffice to say DAZ 4.12, and a brand new gaming computer with plenty of memory to run games.  The Smilodon model by Alessandro is quite a handsome creature. I remember seeing saber tooth tiger skulls at the George Page Museum down in Los Angeles, taken from the La Brea old tar pits.

Post edited by IceScribe on
  • I can confirm that loading the catalyzer version crashes Studio for me, and, after checking, I see the same thing happens with the gnu, though not with older models like the fox. I reinstalled the plugin to make sure I am running the latest version, but it shows as 1.8, not 1.9, so, I am not sure what's happening with it (it also doesn't show as installed in DIM, it only shows the user guide, which is very weird and only started occurring recently). It's not a critical issue, as the dforce version works beautifully, but it may be an annoyance when I render it with figures that only have a catalyzer version.

• I'd have to take a look at the Catalyzer log files to understand what's happening, so if you like feel free to email those to me folks...

• Sure! Here's the log after trying to load the smilodon, thanks for looking into it.

txt
    txt
    log.txt
  • Uthgard said:

Sure! Here's the log after trying to load the smilodon, thanks for looking into it.

Ok I will need also the Catalyzer log file (look in /Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/LAMH2Iray Catalyzer/LAMH2IrayCatalyzerLogFile.txt), but please email them at [email protected]

Thanks

• Done, sorry about the mixup.

• Uthgard said:

Done, sorry about the mixup.

Thanks, no problem!

• Ok, so with @Uthgard the issue it's fixed and the loading issue was caused by an outdated Catalyzer version. So, @IceScribe and all users with issues might want to check out that Catalyzer version needs to be 1.9 (go to menu Help->About Installed Plugins, click on LAMH Catalyzer and verify the information). If version it's not 1.9, run the DAZ Install Manager and update it. If that doesn't work (sometimes the Install Manager fails to run updates), contact me at my email (see my signature).

edited March 2020

Woohooo!! Ram came in and installed, I am able to use the dforce version now!!  I haven't tried to up render settings or anything but I think it will be ok because once it started rendering it was good to go it just never made it that far.

Catalyzer version I can render at density 4 but anything above that causes a crash. sad But 4 is better than 3!  Of course I dont think i would be able to render with anything else in the scene with either.

Did do some editing, lightened the image changed the color saturation some then had to do desaturate the mouth because it looked like it was glowing (probably my fault blush) Rendered with default low settings dome on and a basic plane for the floor.

Roar!.jpg
    972 x 1177 - 988K
    Post edited by Daventaki on
  • Looking great, Alessandro!

And I see you have the Wolverine available, too! I can't wait to get them both!

Only a matter of time before someone begins posting fight scenes between Wolverine and Sabertooth--just be careful you don't get sued by Marvel Comics. cheeky

Wait...no outfits for these guys!? surprise