Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: Thanks for the clarification.

@Dave: Great looking terrain.

@mermaid: That's a really good looking abstract. Love the colors.

@Horo: That upside down terrain really looks good. What's it look like right side up?

@hansmar: Like the texture of that material.

@Bruce: That's an interesting image. What's the hovering object?

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: Thanks for the clarification.

@Bruce: That's an interesting image. What's the hovering object?

Hi Guss -

All the hovering object is just a cube - Like I stated in my comments, I am not sure what the original concept was that my friend had come up with. He just drew a sketch on a napkin and asked me to create an image?? So your guess is as good as mine as to what the scene or the cube represents.

Have a good one!

Bruce

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,339
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo and Guss.

Horo: The upside down terrain looks really nice.

Hansmar: nice terrain, the texture is not bad.

Bruce: interesting story behind the render, I also wonder what the cube represents.

Other attempts at making terrains and curvature filter. I really don’t think I got the concept. Anyway is always fun playing with Bryce.

curvature-highresolutionterrain.jpg
    960 x 720 - 82K
    curvature2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 62K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

lots of interesting terrains from everybody here. Now I want to play with terrains too... but I'm stuck in a few other projects at the moment, so I'll have to delay that for a bit. Speaking of delays, here's a slightly reworked render that just completed this week from a project a while ago (sorry, no fantastic terrains in this one.) I changed the sky background to be a bit less purple, while hopefully still giving the sunrise/sunset appearance (given the fog, sunrise is actually more likely I suppose.) I also made some subtle fog changes on the left. That bronze deer statue that was bothering people has been changed to a corroded copper color, and I added a stump and a base as well, hopefully it looks more like a metal statue now rather than a really strange deer. I also added a few additional lanterns under the bridge, and modified the dragon material to get rid of a white spot on the eyebrow ridge that was kind of making some of them look a bit weird, and moved one of the dragons around a bit. I decided to keep the two pools above the river unchanged, although of course all the water reflections look a bit different. I also changed the material on the building in the near right to be a bit closer to the bridge material, and decided not to mess with the distant building materials because I couldn't get any satisfactory results when I tried.

on_the_water,_reduced.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 336K
    edited December 1969

@Sean: Improvements really look good. I didn't notice before, but it looks as though those folks have a dragon infestation. Either that or the zoo left a door open.

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

@ Sean

Dragons. Dragons. everywhere and not a place to run... ;-) Nice scene my friend. Seems like every time I look at it I find something I had missed from the last viewing. Cool image and well done!

Bruce

PS: IF ANYONE INTERESTED IN THE PAVERS I USED IN MY "THE PATH OF LIFE" IMAGE, I WENT BACK TO THAT PAGE AND EDITED IT SHOWING LINKS TO BOTH THE PAVER AND BRICK PROGRAMS THAT ARE FREE. SOME OF OUR ARTISTS HERE MAY FIND THESE PROGRAMS QUITE USEFUL FOR CREATING TEXTURES FOR BUILDINGS, BRICK WALLS, ETC.

Post edited by Goshtac on
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

@ Sean:
    Yes I see what you mean about the highlights on the dragons eyes – 3 of them seem to have very bright white eyes. I like the changes to the mist and the no longer dark building on the right, it blends in much better now, in fact it all does. I like the new sky too. Well done.

@ Horo,
    I don't know what you mean by 'upside down terrain' unless it's a lattice? I see some shadows around the edge of the land on the water (on the right) makes it look like the terrain isn't lowered down far enough, like it's sitting just above the water plane. But maybe it isn't. I've loved the highly detailed terrains that you and David have been showing us. Don't think I could possible emulate that.

@ Mermaid, nice abstract, particularly the colours.

@ Guss Nemo,
    I'd love to see your results on these boxes, do post when you can.

@DaveSavage,
    Love whatever it is you're doing with those primitive shapes. Especially the red material, looks rather like an old worn away red leather splitting at the seams.

Sorry everyone, but I can't type much these days as I've been playing rugby with the house and now have a dislocated shoulder.
    In the meantime, here's yet another underwater render but this time with 4 nudibranchs I made in Wings (mostly before the shoulder injury).

TurtlesUndersea18.jpg
    1200 x 840 - 227K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 867
    edited May 2014

A further curvature attempt of mine. Hope you like it. I started simply with red and blue to fiddle out the suitable amount of curvature. Thank Savage64 for this idea.

@goshtac: First Thanks a lot for the two links for generating bricks and pavers. Second: My two cents to your interesting path of life scene. I could not figure out, what the black rectangled shape is in the middle of the path. Is it a hole or is it the shadow of the hovering cube? Though IMHO I tend to think it is a hole. I could not figure out, too, how far the cube and its counterpart the black shape with the hole are? First I thought they are far away, but I am not sure. If they were far far away near the horizon, it would give your scene, at least to me, a rather gloomy meaning. You know, path of life... a black hole at the end... ;-)

@Sean Riesch: That is amazing complex scene. Very well done. Have you modelled the castle and the bridge with Bryce?

@franontheedge: Get well soon!

CurvaturedBoxesWithWoodenFloor.jpg
    800 x 600 - 56K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@Franontheedge, interesting underwater scene. I wonder if the tubeworms might benefit from some slight variation in angle to make them look a little more organic? It's usually at this point where I wish Bryce had DAZ Studio's Dformers so I could bend them slightly. I'm glad to see your underwater scene is progressing. I have one in mind myself that I got all excited about, until I suddenly realized the idea made it look like The Little Mermaid, which (while an entertaining film) I definitely did not want my render to look like, so that idea has been stalled on the back burner for a while. I'm not sure where I'm going to go with it.

@electro-elvis, I like the rusty gear and cube material.
    And no, for the most part the castle is Grobburg Castle, and the bridge is mostly from the Bryce 5.5 Content kit, although there are a few primitives and basic shapes mixed in to add detail or pieces here and there, and materials may have been modified and/or swapped around between items of content, and multiple copies or pieces of them have been added which might change the overall appearance a bit.

• pagsovationpagsovation Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I took a long break from Bryce, but decided to see which version Bryce was up to. I think the last version of Bryce I used was either 5 or 6. Saw version 7 was available and thought "Cool!" This is my first render in 7.

SunFinal.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 176K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,478
    edited December 1969

@hansmar - now that's a cool terrain.

@Bruce - nice story and the render makes one think what the cube and flat cube may mean.

@mermaid010 - interesting results from your curvature experiments.

@Sean Riesch - this dragon scene is really very elaborate. That needs a lot of patience to set up. There is so much to discover.

@GussNemo - thank you. The right side up is the same just inverse. :-P

@franontheedge - thank you. There is no need for a lattice because the upper and the lower side are the same. You can turn a terrain around by setting either X or Z rotation to 180 degrees. In this case, you'll have to disable Solid for the terrain. Another option is to Invert the terrain in the TE. If you do it this way, you can keep it Solid. An unsolid terrain sometimes lets light leak through it - which may be desired or not.
    Your underwater scene improves with each itteration we see here.

@electro-elvis - Your curvature results are more than just attempts. Looks great.

@pagsovation - welcome to Bryce and this forum. Your render looks inbteresting and makes me ponder what it could be.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Distractions galore... While playing with curvature and applying to terrains I somehow got sidetracked into making some animal print type materials. I think it happened when I started making basic noise patterns in the TDE to test what the filters did.
    Neither of these are finished yet, but still... is anything ever? :cheese:

TigerMat.jpg
    650 x 500 - 447K
    ZebraMat3.jpg
    650 x 500 - 228K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Interesssting

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited May 2014

Plodding along with the DTE curvature filtering. Here's what I've been doing. Slow going.

Edit. Meant to say, another set of high resolution terrains by Horo.

Rugged_wip1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 591K
    pRidged_wip1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 544K
    Island_D_wip1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 550K
    GlacierLake_wip1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 594K
    Block_D_wip3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 513K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

They're wonderful David. Each of them is an amazing terrain.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,874
    edited December 1969

@goshtac: very nice story and great poster. Would like to see it with a golden plane, must be even more remarkable.

@mermaid010: Nice terrains, specifically the last one, with the slimy textures!

@Sean Riesch: This is turning to be a very great scene. You might want to provide a bit more depth into the scene by adding a larger dragon(head) in the left front (so that it does not block the view too much).

@franontheedge: Wonderful underwater scene. I like all those animal forms you created. And you should know not to play rugby with the house! It is much too strong, unless you have a very good team. Hope you recover soon.

@electro-elvis: wonderful textures on these boxes. Real old looking.

@pagsovation: Welcome! And what a great start render. The vagueness of this ‘vault’(?) is really intriguing.

@TheSavage64: I like zebras and tigers. So keep experimenting with the DTE, because you are getting nice textures!

@David Brinnen: You make great scenes from all those wonderful terrains! I detect the same sky in two scenes :)

Finally, I could not resist to make a terrain myself. Actually there are two terrains, because I copied the first terrain, deleted large parts, put the other slightly above the first one (only at the front of the scene) and used it to get a higher frequency of the same texture in the front of the scene. The frequency worked very well further from the camera, but needed some tweaking up front and this is the way I tricked it.
    I used a sky I used before, with modifications, which was made after a tutorial by David Brinnen (of course), but I was too lazy to find a link, so you’ll have to search for yourselves.

mountainland3.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 940K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2014

Seeing some really great terrain work here. SO inspiring.

However No fancy terrain work in this render really.

Inspired by the Fionavar Tapestry (a trilogy of books loosely based on Celtic mythology)

Ceinwen the green is a Goddess and Dave (or Davor the Axe as they call him) is from Earth, transferred to FIonavar (The First World) by magic and lost on the plains amongst the Dalrei.

"No man of Fionavar can see Ceinwen hunt and live"

Ceinwen_and_Davor_finis.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 870K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo and hansmar for the welcomes. Not sure what the render is myself, I just start and creative. It's based around the crosses in the scene.

edited December 1969

@Miss B, thank you. The terrains were made by Horo by what magical means I know not.

@hansmar, thank you also, yes the same sky in all five! One of Horo's HDRI's 3bridges_SD.

@Pam, beautiful render and now I've battled with Poser myself, I have yet still more respect for your skills! Oh the hours I've sunk into editing @#!& CR2's - ah! Anyway, glad to be back in Bryceland for today. It was sunny out. But I stuck indoors and spent my time wandering virtual worlds.

@pagsovation, well I wasn't sure what it was, but it was interesting never the less, and looked like it should be something! And so yes, welcome and please do show us more of your mysterious renderings.

P57_example_scene5c.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 556K
    P57_example_scene4d.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 652K
    P57_example_scene3b.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 541K
    P57_example_scene2f.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 678K
    P57_example_scene1b.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 589K
    edited December 1969

Thanks, David. Btw, love your renders, very inspiring. Checked out your store too, some killer stuff I might have to buy.

edited December 1969

Thanks, David. Btw, love your renders, very inspiring. Checked out your store too, some killer stuff I might have to buy.

Be sure to check out http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html if you are after guides and on my own channel I'm edging up to 300 video tutorials covering various topics https://www.youtube.com/user/davidbrinnen I don't host ads so you can dive straight into whatever.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,478
    edited December 1969

@Dave - those striped textures look very promising.

@David - great work on the terrain material front. Keep it up.

@hansmar - that terrain looks great. Good idea about combining them.

@Pam - beautiful render. It looks as if there were a hint of Orton effect on Ceinwen but on closer examination, there isn't any.

Not sure what the render is myself, I just start and creative. It's based around the crosses in the scene.

But it is looking good and makes one think what the heck it could be. So you've got the attention of the audience.
    By the way, since you're new to Bryce, you might find some stuff on my website (see sig) which may be of interest.
    edited December 1969

@franontheedge: That underwater scene keeps getting better and better. Adding the nudis really looks nice, though the ones I've actually seen are a bit lower to the sea floor. I'll post those new boxes when I can.

@electro: Those boxes, and gear, and flooring, really look nice. Curvature filter really brought things to life, sort to speak.

@Pagsovation: Welcome to the forum, and that's a really neat image.

@Dave: Both of those images look great. Both look just like fabric.

@David: You're doing some amazing things to Horo's wonderful terrains.

@hansmar: That's a very appealing terrain. And a nice tip about how it was created.

@Pam: Lovely scene, as usual.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,339
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments on my last abstract and terrains.

Sean- really like the castle render

Franontheedge: the underwater scene keeps looking better.

Electro-elvis: nice lovely render, love the materials used on boxes and floor.

Pagsovation: a really neat image.

Dave: interesting results in the DTE

David: Wow wonderful results with Horo’s awesome terrains.

Hansmar: the terrain is lovely; thanks for mentioning about saving the sky. I should do that. I normally only save the objects, materials and textures, that I make using David’s tutorials.

Pam: beautiful scene, as usual.

edited May 2014

Thank you folks. Well this one has taken some figuring out. Trying to get the channels to play nicely across the entire terrain.

Edit: a few hours later with a bit of tweaking.

P57_example_scene6.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 740K
    P57_example_scene6_wip1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 790K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

amazing terrains !
    David Brennen:
    "P57_example_scene2f " is really talking to me, there is a perfect combination of elements in that scene that I am very taken by.

chohole:
    your foliage and lighting is always so well done! beautiful

edited December 1969

dana365 said:
    amazing terrains !
    David Brennen:
    "P57_example_scene2f " is really talking to me, there is a perfect combination of elements in that scene that I am very taken by.

Thank you. First of the next four is that same terrain but re-skinned. The others... are others. So to speak. Got a bit exotic with the last going for an effect.

P57_example_scene10.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 602K
    P57_example_scene9.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 512K
    P57_example_scene8.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 498K
    P57_example_scene7.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 596K
    edited December 1969

@David: More beautiful, especially the ancient building look of the images in your 415 post.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited May 2014

hansmar said:
    Finally, I could not resist to make a terrain myself. Actually there are two terrains, because I copied the first terrain, deleted large parts, put the other slightly above the first one (only at the front of the scene) and used it to get a higher frequency of the same texture in the front of the scene. The frequency worked very well further from the camera, but needed some tweaking up front and this is the way I tricked it.
    I used a sky I used before, with modifications, which was made after a tutorial by David Brinnen (of course), but I was too lazy to find a link, so you’ll have to search for yourselves.

Great image, @hansmar! Tried that technique a while back myself - never finished working with it, but here's my attempt, using three terrains...

Edit: If I remember correctly, I think this was a tiled terrain - I copied the terrain in the foreground and "carved away" the two mountains closest to the camera.

Mount_3_terrains_1600x640.jpg
    1600 x 640 - 503K
    Post edited by cjreynolds on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited May 2014

@Miss B, thank you. The terrains were made by Horo by what magical means I know not.

Hmmmmm, maybe we need to pick his brain. ~just kidding Horo~

@everyone else - I'm seeing some really great looking terrains here. One of these days I'll learn a trick or two to make such quality terrains myself. Well, one can hope anyway.

Post edited by Miss B on
This discussion has been closed.