Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited May 2014

@Horo: Thank you. I tried different positions but like that one the best.

@mermaid: Thank you. I seem to have missed your last three scenes. The experiments are very colorful, the last two at least. And the gate has a nice spooky atmosphere, nice.

@David: Thanks.

Here's another experiment using the flat lens.

Edit: To keep from double posting, I'm post my Klein Bottle image here. It took a while to decipher David's video in one place, but once I did things worked fine.

Klein_Bottle_4.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Klein_Bottle_3.png
    757 x 757 - 688K
    Icosahedron_Ribbons_10_1.png
    660 x 660 - 592K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,499
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - nice abstract and Klein bottles.

I gave them also a go.

Infinity.jpg
    800 x 800 - 35K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,355
    edited May 2014

Guss - lovely abstract and klein bottle renders.

Horo- love the reflections, very nice.

More fun working with David’s tutorial Bryce 7.1 Pro - putting more than one sun in the sky - by David Brinnen

It took me a while to understand why David uses the distant light. The first is as the tutorial. In the second render I deleted the distant lights and enabled the Shadows – Cast, receive and self shadows for the sphere material. All the other settings are the same. IMHO the difference is amazing

David- thanks for the other videos.

Edited: Horo- the space was is awesome.

suns2_or_more.jpg
    960 x 720 - 39K
    suns2_or_more-david.jpg
    960 x 720 - 67K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I did a TShirt design and it needed putting on Vicky.

TShirtGirl.jpg
    975 x 975 - 250K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. Love what you did with those bottles. The secondary reflections make it look like a barrel swivel. Nice color.

@mermaid: Thank you very much. The tutorial results are really nice. The sand dune and plant really look nice. The second image is super also. Nice work.

@Dave: That's a neat T-shirt design. I wonder, though, would the DOF be as great with the car so close behind Vicky? Still, such a car.

I thought I'd divulge the source of the "abstract" shown above. Using the flat lens on one of my earlier tutorial attempts, and moving it around a bit, I got what appears to be an "abstract."

Here is the image for the abstract.

Icosahedron_Ribbons_10.png
    660 x 660 - 624K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Yes, you're right Guss, the car probably wouldn't be so blurred in reality... But I needed Vicky to stand out from the background so chose clarity over reality :-)

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - nice double sun render. The first one with the shadow looks better to me.

@Dave - I lake that T-shirt render. I still have that car to make the materials Bryce compatible. By the way, the shallow DOF wouldn't look exaggerated if you used a small FOV and put the camera far back. That would "stack" the girl and the car and make the car shorter (compressed) but the DOF would be naturally shallow.

@GussNemo - thank you. I think your latest render doesn't look very abstract, the beautiful shape is clearly visible. That's the IceFire HDRI in the backdrop, isn't it?

I've put the camera into the Klein-bottle and used a wide angle lens to cover around 300 degrees. The bottle is partly transparent and partly reflecting. The light is from the HDRI backdrop, but no diffuse light. Maximum ray depth controls the brightness and is set to 12.

InKleinBottle.jpg
    800 x 600 - 120K
    edited May 2014

@Dave: Since you're showing off your new T-shirt, I guess anything as sharp looking as Vicky would be a distraction. But still, even blurry that's a mighty fine car.

@Horo: I had to look, but yes, that is the Icefire HDRI. My last image wasn't meant to be an abstract, but to show where I got the image that does look like an abstract (top of this page I believe). I was playing around with the flat lens David showed using in the Space HDRI tut and gave it a try on that last image I posted. Interesting how placement, both in relation to the camera and the object can produce some very nice results. The camera inside the Klein Bottle produced very nice, and colorful, results. What did you do to produce the colors?

Here are a couple more results in my playing around adding material to the Klein Bottle. Some material look real good without changing the mapping mode, others had to have the mapping mode changed. The second one is an example where changing the mapping mode really fit the material to the shape of the object. Oh, and just to see how it would look, I stuck a sphere in the mouth of the Klein Bottle and gave it differing materials. I also played around with the frequency of the ground material to see how it affected the overall scene.

Klein_Bottle_10.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Klein_Bottle_9.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Mermaid...the first one with its wonderful shadows is so realistic.

Guss..whatever you're doing, you're doing great...love the second one.

Jay

edited December 1969

@Jay: Thanks. Whatever I'm doing? I call it playing around. If this doesn't work, I'll try that. And if this or that doesn't work, I'll try something else. Hopefully, hopefully, some of this stuff will stick one day and I won't have to play around quite so much.

edited May 2014

@GussNemo - thank you. Actually, my Klein Bottle looks rather like a flat bottle. Light and colours are from the backdrop HDRI (WpH68_SC250_800). The bottle is 40% transparent and 60% reflecting. There is no diffuse or specularity whatsoever; max ray depth controls the brightness and is at 12, double of default.

Your bottles look nice. The sphere - I thought you made a torch of the bottle and that's the light bulb.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Pagsovation, Dana, Mermaid, Hansmar,
    Thank you to each of you for your kind words about my renders. I hope you will experiment with these new lights and please dont be shy with sharing or asking more questions. I am actually going to try to.....make a.....video or two about the new lights and some other Bryce related things. Fingers crossed.

Horo, thanks for the reminder about the definition often unnoticed in the darker areas of the hdri, I am certainly guilty of that.

Terrains have always been an area of weakness for me. Really nice work from the lot of you.

Savage: That girl looks hot!!!

edited June 2014

@Horo: Thank you. And thank you for the information. I went back and look at the one you talked about, and yes, now that I take another look, it does look like a light bulb.

@Rashad: A lighting video from you would be a treat. I for one still have lots to learn about lighting.

I was again playing around with material on the Klein Bottle and came up with another I thought came out quite nice. I made the sphere totally reflective, and chose one of the Pro materials--I think it was. But after the first rendering decided the ground material didn't look right. So I chose a light blue Automotive material, decreased the diffusion, and really liked the results. And I think this will be the last of this particular series.

Edit: Played with David's bridge tutorial and came up with the following results. I added the upper girders as an after thought and combined the two. And just to see how it would look, added piers. I may redo the bottom section because the girders are too wide.

Single_Span_Bridge_w_piers_1.png
    1080 x 810 - 969K
    Klein_Bottle_12.png
    757 x 757 - 759K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884
    edited December 1969

@David Brinnen: Aha, a Klein bottle! (no clue what that is, though). But it is a very nice shape.

@GussNemo: Your lens-render is very nice. Would there be a method to prevent the blue reflection (or something) and have the ground in the full lens-part of the render? Maybe that looks even nicer and maybe not!
    Your Klein bottle renders are wonderful. I like the last one from may 28 best.

@Horo: It is a good idea, to make everything grey at the beginning. A much faster computer is on my wishlist, though.
    Nice space-render too. Less than 2 minutes render? I am extremely jealous!
    Double Klein bottle caused by reflection: good idea.
    The abstract Klein bottle render with the lens inside is really amazing!!

@mermaid010: Nice space renders. Indeed, the first one is much better.

@TheSavage64: Nice T-design. Sexy render!

@Rashad Carter: Can't wait to see your tutorials!

Now, though everybody has moved to Klein bottles and space renders, I am still in the terrain mode (and mood). Here is another one, where the same terrain as used before was squashed in the Y and elongated in the Z, the camera moved, the texture changed and then rendered until I saw that with 'very large' terrain setting it was too blocky. Then changed the terrain into 'planetary'.
    Most of all I focused on the cloud plane however, I think the clouds are maybe a bit too small for their darkness, but I do like the play of light on the terrain.
    Call it: "Looks like more snow is coming".

mountainland6_copy.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 1021K
  • pagsovationpagsovation Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Playing with some balls haha....Not the best render but it was a blast to do.

CrossPicTwo.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 482K
    edited December 1969

Based on a scene from David Brinnen's "Bryce Pro Advanced Lighting 2" pack.

OkNowPicFinal.jpg
    992 x 769 - 378K
    edited December 1969

@hansmar: Thank you. As to your lens question, I'm not sure. I'd have to play around with it to see if it could be done. After going back and looking at that image again, you're right it would look better without that small portion of sky.

@pagsovation: Those are two extremely nice images. The second one looks like a photo to me. Real nice lighting in both.

edited December 1969

Thanks all for the comments. Lovely inspiring renders from everyone.

My take on Bryce quick scene project - space pyramid - by David Brinnen and

Wings 3D - Klein bottle - by David Brinnen

In the 1st render I used a sky I was working on for a while now. David or anyone, is the bluish/blackish area behind the lens, ( marked with an arrow in the second image), part of the effect of the lens. I used refraction 30. It looks odd and spoils the image.

For the 3rd render I used Bill Roach’s metals which I downloaded from Share CG

kleinbottles.jpg
    600 x 600 - 15K
    sp1-ex.jpg
    400 x 300 - 30K
    space1.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 84K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@Mermaid10, I'm not sure, but that kind of looks like you have a light coming from the left that's lighting up your sphere, and that's the back side that's in shadow. If nobody knows offhand, you can experiment by making a copy of your scene and deleting lights or objects or moving the camera and doing quick spot renders to see what affects those changes have, that might help to narrow it down.

@pagsovation, I like the bumpy reflective effect on the tile and the cross.

Here is my latest Bryce render, "Expedition". I was reasonably happy with it (although I'm always open to criticism) but after completing it I suddenly started wondering if anybody else thought that the stepped pyramid-ish structure in the background looked like it hadn't completed rendering and if I should add some minor bit of detail to dispel that illusion, if it really exists and isn't just in my head.

expedition,_reduced.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 322K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Space scenes are very nice, especially the sand material. Where did you get that material? As to your question, did you check the material settings to make sure you have Transparency set to 100 and Refraction set low? What was it, 50 in David's video? It could also be because it's dark in that region. Perhaps an increase in light intensity? When I used the lens in one of my previous images, the light was more intense than you show in your scene. I looked for Bill Roach's metals but so far haven't found it. Do you have the link?

@Sean: To me, the unfinished pyramid looks like an unfinished pyramid. But that skeleton, it's something else. The entire scene is really neat.

I was playing around with the bridge from David's video, trying to get an upper deck that fit the lower section. The upper deck in this image took awhile to set up but I'm fairly pleased with the results.

Single_Span_Bridge_6.png
    1080 x 810 - 534K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Guss and Sean.

edited December 1969

Sean-thanks for the suggestions. I will try what you suggested.

Guss- thanks for your input. I will need to view David’s tutorial again. I think I got that problem because I did not use an Hdri as David suggested. Regarding the sand, I’m not sure where I got it from, it’s in my fav category, it’s either a random terrain material which I liked and tweaked or material I saved from one the files which I downloaded from Share CG. Earlier this year I downloaded a few to play with. It could be from this http://www.sharecg.com/v/67171/view/5/3D-Model/Klendathu-for-Bryce

Or
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/63830/related/5/3D-Model/Desert-for-Bryce files.

As for the metals, I don’t have a link but Pam may know because she posted a link sometime ago. Sorry not much help. Share CG has some awesome freebies and Bryce files that we can study how things are done. I still have problems setting up a landscape.

The bridge is very nice, waiting to see it in a scene.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Thanks for reposting that link Pam. It looks vaguely familiar, so I may already have them, but I'll get them anyway, JUST in case.
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

@Rashad, thank you.

@GussNemo - new Klein bottle is nicely illuminated. Bridge looks good, too.

@hansmar - nice landscape, the clouds look great. By the way, a Klein bottle has like a Möbius strip only one surface. Actually, the original name was "Klein Fläche" (Klein surface) and "Fläche" was misspelled as "Flasche" (bottle).

@pagsovation - surface materials used on the balls and tiled wall look excellent.

@mermaid010 - I like that space scene of yours - and the Klein bottles are very nicely rendered. Good colour choices.

@Sean - Expedition is a great render. The skeleton looks very good.

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

pagsovation:
    wow, love that lighting and material choices, just dose not get better, well done

mermaid010:
    great space scene,the building, the colors, and positioning are just perfect.

Sean Riesch:
    very creative scene, the skeleton kicks, and those vehicles are very cool.

GussNemo:
    that bridge is a thing of beauty, I see now what you meant by making them match , I really like this version. great geometry

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Pagsovation - Beautiful work on the cross render - looks very photo realistic. Great lighting job !

@Mermaid - I love SciFi scenes and this one is really nicely done. Very impressive and I am intrigued by the Klein bottles that seem to be showing up a lot in a number of postings - Very unique bottle.

@Sean - Love the fanciful expedition scene you put together - Fun image and it reminds me of an art form from years ago that for the life of me I can't now remember what it's called. As to the step pyramid - I think it looks just fine. In lots of my early artwork I played around with structures like that and you can take the pyramid one of two ways - Work in progress like Guss mentioned, or years of erosion - Either way the scene is fine like it is. ( But I can relate to your feelings on the Pyramid - As computer artists, are we ever totally satisfied with how our scenes come out? It seems like we all could sit for days tweaking that one last thing that we might not be 110% pleased with - I find myself doing that everyday and just have to tell myself - ok, it's finished ! )

@Guss - Fantastic work on the bridge my friend. Wow... Lots of detail and work went into that. Kind of waiting to see you now incorporate it into some overall scene like a massive river gorge or something like that. Nice Job!!!

Have a good one folks!!

Bruce

edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thanks for those links, more material is always welcomed.

@Pam: Thank you for that link. Wow, there are a lot of metals in that file.

@Horo: Thank you. If you're referring to the Klein bottle on this page, mermaid created it.

@dana: Thank you for the comments about the bridge. I have been trying to conjure up an image for the challenge where I could use the bridge. But so far the slate is a bit murky.

@Bruce: Thanks for the comments on my bridge. Yes, it took a bit of time to figure out how to get the top curve and the large horizontal beam made, and the top cross braces. But after it rendered I think the effort was worth it. And hopefully it will end up in a scene before the end of June.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Horo: Thank you. If you're referring to the Klein bottle on this page, mermaid created it.

Yup, I was referring to the one on the previous page.
This discussion has been closed.