Importing Sketchup .dae files

GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I've been exploring a problem I'm seem to be having with importing Sketchup .dae files into Bryce. As mermaid stated in her October 2013 thread, all I get in a generic failure error message. So, what have I done to try and remedy this problem? A lot.

* I downloaded the latest free version of Sketchup, Sketchup 2014.
* I followed Dave's suggestion, in mermaid's October thread, to make sure .dae was selected in the Import drop down menu.
* I made sure objects were either all components or all groups before exporting in Sketchup.
* I've PM a few here for suggestions and followed their advice. Nada...
* I Googled the problem but found nothing useful. I even left a post on Sketchucation, but so far only found I'm an experienced Sketchup user. My model has a few construction problems.
* I download two Warehouse models, one in .skp format and the other in .kmz format. The .skp model was opened in Sketchup then exported as a .dae file. The .kmz file was renamed to change it from a .kmz to .zip file. Want to guess the results when importing was attempted? Nada.

A work around to this mess is in using Mesh Lab to import the .dae files and exporting them in .obj format. Those thusly converted import into Bryce without any problems--the clock in the Spring Time challenge is the evidence. Another work around, at least for the individual parts of that clock, it to make everything either a component or group and export each piece as a .dae file. Then I can import them into Blender and export them as an .obj file. Only that presents another problem because some of those parts give Blender indigestion.

I've got a work around, as I said above, but I'd like to figure out what the heck is going on with those Sketchup .dae files and Bryce. Any and all comments are welcomed.

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,169
    edited December 1969

I haven't had any problems after Dave helped me, except with big files that causes Bryce to crash.

I have downloaded a lot of Sketchup files Sketchup the .skp ones from Sketchup warehouse, open the file in Sketchup and export as a 3D model and then import it into Bryce. I don’t do anything in Sketchup except open and export.

It seems you tried that and still have a problem.

Hopefully Dave or someone will be able to help you soon

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

wish I could help.... but.. this will be an interesting thread....to see how this works out...looks like you have tried everything...Trish

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

got 128m. file dae cooking - be back

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Yeah, I downloaded a couple models from 3D warehouse, opened them in Sketchup, exported them as 3D and tried to import them into Bryce. All I got for that effort was the generic failure message. No export options were changed in Sketchup.

So I went another route, and went to a model site looking for .dae models. I found a cardboard storage box and downloaded that one. Tried to import it into Bryce and again received the generic failure message.

I found another .dae model, more an abstract model really. Didn't give much hope it would import but tried it anyway. The image below is how it looks with material I applied in Bryce. Strange how this image imported without any problems, but all the others I tried wouldn't.

Keep in mind folks, this problem isn't keeping me from importing .dae models because Mesh Lab can export them as .obj files. It's just puzzling why I can't import .dae directly into Bryce when Dave and mermaid can. I was beginning to think it was operator error, but now I'm wondering if it isn't some type of setting problem.

Spikey_Sphere_1.png
    1080 x 810 - 495K
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    got 128m. file dae cooking - be back

30 min. - gave up

edited December 1969

@mermaid: Since you haven't had problems importing .dae files from Sketchup, would you mind opening one of those files in Sketchup and set it up to export? Only don't export it, just click on the Options button in the bottom right hand corner of the Export screen and make a note of the settings. I want to use the setting you have and set up another export with those settings. And, could you give me a link to that file so I can download it and see if I can export it from Sketchup and imported into Bryce? Thanks.

edited April 2014

GussNemo said:
    @mermaid: Since you haven't had problems importing .dae files from Sketchup, would you mind opening one of those files in Sketchup and set it up to export? Only don't export it, just click on the Options button in the bottom right hand corner of the Export screen and make a note of the settings. I want to use the setting you have and set up another export with those settings. And, could you give me a link to that file so I can download it and see if I can export it from Sketchup and imported into Bryce? Thanks.

Okay Guss I will try and come back to you.

Edited:

Guss, here’s the example for you.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=483997358355209cbe016a575c656ce

When you are importing check if you are importing the Sketchup files (.dae) and not the Collada. (.dae)

Another point worth mentioning is that the object imports as a small dot, group it first if it is not grouped and then scale it, increasing the size.

Hope this helps.

Give me the link of one of the files you are having problems with and I will check if it works on my system.

Untitled.jpg
    600 x 600 - 19K
    sketchup-options.jpg
    600 x 338 - 45K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited April 2014

new try - not worth doing - Bryce didn't find texture
    render

01_sk_up_Bryce.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 214K
    Post edited by bigh on
    edited December 1969

Yes, from my experience too, Bryce does not import with the textures. That's the time-consuming part assigning materials to the different parts. Dave suggested using the "families", when assigning materials.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

If you guys get this to work on a regular basis ...please post how you do it would like to know ...I tried several times...and could not get it to work.....Trish

edited December 1969

@mermaid: You have solved my problem!! When a Sketchup model is exported, you have two choices for file format, KMZ and Collada (.dae); only with the free version of Sketchup. So it would stand to reason when you import you'd use the same format, right? Not with Bryce. I didn't even see the Sketchup .dae in the Import format list. But when I chose that format, I no longer had any problems importing my models or the ones I downloaded. I sure wish I'd seen that at first it would have kept what's left of my hair in place. Mermaid, you have helped the blind to see. Thanks.

@Trish: Here's an image showing the format choices in the Import window. I've noted in red which .dae not to use, and in green the one for use with Sketchup files. Hopes this helps.

Bryce_Correct_Sketchup_Format.png
    884 x 1162 - 806K
    edited December 1969

using sk pro - if you have big bucks :-)
    or you could use the Vue deal they have now

01_sk_pro_Bryce.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 436K
    edited April 2014

Guss I'm happy to have been able to help. Actually I just passed on Dave's help to me. It's wonderful that we can help each other this way.
    Looking forward to seeing some of your Sketchup models.

Bigh- that model is looking very nice.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@bigh: Ha, both Sketchup Pro and Vue are out of my price range. Even with the sale going on right now for Vue. And because I don't make a living at this work, I can't justify the expense.

@mermaid: I do thank you very much for the detail help. Had you not noted the difference between the two formats, I more than likely would still be banging my head against the wall. And if I would have taken my time reading through the format options, I would have read down to the Sketchup Files (.dae) option. I will put up another model, but this one will be from Wings following one of David's uv mapping tutorials. Hopefully.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @bigh: Ha, both Sketchup Pro and Vue are out of my price range. Even with the sale going on right now for Vue. And because I don't make a living at this work, I can't justify the expense.

@mermaid: I do thank you very much for the detail help. Had you not noted the difference between the two formats, I more than likely would still be banging my head against the wall. And if I would have taken my time reading through the format options, I would have read down to the Sketchup Files (.dae) option. I will put up another model, but this one will be from Wings following one of David's uv mapping tutorials. Hopefully.

I agree - any way here's that 128m file rendered in Bryce

01_sk_128m_Bryce.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 544K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,954
    edited December 1969

not a Bryce user but popping in to mention Sketchucation has a free obj exporter for sketchup
    also Ultimate Unwrap which I have been using a lot lately to decimate animated FBX files and convert directX files for iClone and Carrara imports skp via a plugin and is cheap
    it supports more formats than any other program I have encountered most the game ones too and does uv mapping.
    Autodesk 123D does skp too
    you know of Blender already.

edited December 1969

not a Bryce user but popping in to mention Sketchucation has a free obj exporter for sketchup
    also Ultimate Unwrap which I have been using a lot lately to decimate animated FBX files and convert directX files for iClone and Carrara imports skp via a plugin and is cheap
    it supports more formats than any other program I have encountered most the game ones too and does uv mapping.
    Autodesk 123D does skp too
    you know of Blender already.

thank you for the info !

edited December 1969

did another room in Bryce

01_sk_128m_Bryce_2.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 662K
    edited December 1969

@bigh: Those two rooms are fantastic looking.

@wendy: Thank you very much for that information. Because I don't use Sketchup on a regular basis I wasn't sure how to get that plugin. So it took a bit of searching but I found it. And a bit more to discover where that plugin shows up and how to use it. But by golly, it works. It converted a Sketchup test object into .obj format.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @bigh: Those two rooms are fantastic looking.

@wendy: Thank you very much for that information. Because I don't use Sketchup on a regular basis I wasn't sure how to get that plugin. So it took a bit of searching but I found it. And a bit more to discover where that plugin shows up and how to use it. But by golly, it works. It converted a Sketchup test object into .obj format.

thank you
    can't wait to see what you do

edited December 1969

@bigh: Um, I wouldn't know where to start.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @bigh: Um, I wouldn't know where to start.

I did this one - acid fog

4_0614_acid.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 761K
    edited December 1969

Bigh - wow both rooms are beautiful. This one is very nice too. Did you export from Sketchup and import into Bryce with the Textures and what program did you use?

Wendy- thanks for the information

edited December 1969

Bigh - wow both rooms are beautiful. This one is very nice too. Did you export from Sketchup and import into Bryce with the Textures and what program did you use?

thank you - they are from the same house
    yes export from sk using obj plugin and imported into Bryce with texture

edited December 1969

@bigh: The last scene is super, it has a magnificent atmosphere. That .obj plugin is really great. I gave it a try by exporting one of the clock versions I made, and when imported into Bryce the clock numbers and hands weren't reversed. As they are when using Sketchup .dae in Bryce.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @bigh: The last scene is super, it has a magnificent atmosphere. That .obj plugin is really great. I gave it a try by exporting one of the clock versions I made, and when imported into Bryce the clock numbers and hands weren't reversed. As they are when using Sketchup .dae in Bryce.

thank you
    happy to hear it works for you too

edited December 1969

bigh said:

thank you - they are from the same house
    yes export from sk using obj plugin and imported into Bryce with texture

Thanks Bigh, will give this plugin a try

edited December 1969

Jym

01_jym.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 563K
    edited December 1969

This one looks very nice.

edited December 1969

@Bigh: Real nice gym. It never ceases to amaze me which I see work like that.