[In store now] Felidae by AM - Kimbo the Lion cub [Commercial]

2»

Comments

• Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687
    edited April 2020

Did I see somewhere a lynx is also in the works?

Fantastic work as always - I've been waiting for this one since you made an announcement a while back.  I wanted to experiment with the cub and the smilodon.  Really happy with how they are compatible.

So how did you do that, Reaper?

Hi Willowraven.  Initially, I tried just using the Smilodon dForce fur on the cub, but because that fur is a lot longer, it looked like a tribble!  Easiest way was to load the dForce Smilodon first, then the dForce Cub.  The dforce fur for both comes in three sections.  For each one, select it in the Surfaces tab for the Smilodon, then copy the Hair Root Colour.  Switch to the cub and Paste the Hair Root Colour there - it will automatically paste also to Hair Tip Colour, Hair Root Highlight and Hair Tip Highlight.  This keeps the cub fur in proportion, but changes the overall colour when you paste each of the three sections.

That's gonna be my glitch ... I don't use the force versions, I use the LAMH versions ... dang! o you think it would work on the cub if I hanged the 'skin' to math the skin of the smilodon?

My machine is rendering right now, but I do have LAMH so I can give it a try in the morning and post back then - that way you will know if it will work for you before you buy a lot of add-ons to use with the cub.

EDIT:  I've just seen that Alessandro has kindly posted below how to do this for the 3DL LAMH version, and I am certain that his instructions are better than my trial-and-error approach.

Post edited by Dim Reaper on
  • Hi @WillowRaven, if I understood your request, I think it's quite simple to achieve that. Load the 3DL lion cub asset, and change the SkinBody diffuse texture to the smilodon one (they are in My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Textures\AM\Felidae\).
    Then select the 3 LAMH Groups and do the same: see the attached screenshot, I selected those and changed all the maps to the smilodon one.
    After that you are good to go. If you like, you can even hop a moment in LAMH, increase the fur length, add some smilodon shape to it (around 10%) and then hide the smilodon teeth with the available morph.

Hope this helps.

sshot-1.jpg
    3547 x 1890 - 659K
    smilodon cub 2.jpg
    599 x 860 - 132K
    smilodon cub.jpg
    1147 x 830 - 191K
  • DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

I agree with everyone too, your animals are always adorable, and your LAMH presets just add that extra boost of realism :) even your tree frog is cute, any chance of a meerkat too, we already got the warthog and now the lion cub ???????? 

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,742

Hi @WillowRaven, if I understood your request, I think it's quite simple to achieve that. Load the 3DL lion cub asset, and change the SkinBody diffuse texture to the smilodon one (they are in My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Textures\AM\Felidae\).
    Then select the 3 LAMH Groups and do the same: see the attached screenshot, I selected those and changed all the maps to the smilodon one.
    After that you are good to go. If you like, you can even hop a moment in LAMH, increase the fur length, add some smilodon shape to it (around 10%) and then hide the smilodon teeth with the available morph.

Hope this helps.

Awesome ... the cub has the smilodon shape ability ... just gets better and better !!!   Thanks, AM :)

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    L'Adair said:

I understand and have to agree about thinking twice before buying things (in general), because I am the same way, so I appreciate even more your support. I'm sure I'd have sold lot more making cheaper and less detailed models at a faster rate, but that is the last thing I want to do. I employ all the time and efforts I consider necessary to deliver the best result that I can. I hope you guys understand what I mean.

I understand. And I really appreciate it, too. I've never been disappointed with any of your products. (Although I would have loved a Western Grey Squirrel variant of the LAMH/Catalyzer… Our squirrels don't have those long tufts!)
    laugh

AllenArt said:

**coughHOUSECATcough**

winklaugh

Laurie

The House Cat has been requested for years laugh

People should remember that cats refuse to come when called.

You just need to know how to call them. "Tuna!" always worked with Taz. "Are you coming?" almost always works with Smidgeon, especially if I'm going into the office. The sound of the toilet lid being put up was always a big draw for all our cats, past and present.

All I have to do is shake a box or bag full of anything that sounds remotely "crunchy" LOL

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Any chance the folder structure could be updated to match the structure already in place with the Lion?

The lion and its add-on has:

/Animals/AM/Felidae/

Kimbo has:

/Animals/AM/Felidae by AM/

I checked the Smilodon (which is on my wishlist) it has Felidae by AM rather then Felidae also.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited April 2020
    gitika1 said:

Any chance the folder structure could be updated to match the structure already in place with the Lion?

The lion and its add-on has:

/Animals/AM/Felidae/

Kimbo has:

/Animals/AM/Felidae by AM/

I checked the Smilodon (which is on my wishlist) it has Felidae by AM rather then Felidae also.

Yes that has to be fixed. I hoped QA would issue that automatically, but didn't happen.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on

I went and bought FIFTEEN AM products last night ... See what happens when you make cute baby animals, Alessandro?

• I went and bought FIFTEEN AM products last night ... See what happens when you make cute baby animals, Alessandro?

Thanks and... I'll keep that in mind! :D

Speaking of baby animals & my obsession for LAMH critters ... I bought the bear cubs some time ago, and one of the set is for a panda ... did I miss a release or freebie of an adult panda, or does one of my other bears already have that and I just haven't noticed (not a far stretch of the imagination for the later, either)?

• Speaking of baby animals & my obsession for LAMH critters ... I bought the bear cubs some time ago, and one of the set is for a panda ... did I miss a release or freebie of an adult panda, or does one of my other bears already have that and I just haven't noticed (not a far stretch of the imagination for the later, either)?

Nope I didn't do an adult panda yet...

Speaking of baby animals & my obsession for LAMH critters ... I bought the bear cubs some time ago, and one of the set is for a panda ... did I miss a release or freebie of an adult panda, or does one of my other bears already have that and I just haven't noticed (not a far stretch of the imagination for the later, either)?

OK ... Good. I was seeing more money flying out of my account too soon, lol. In the meantime, are the bears all 'related' together like the felidae?

• Speaking of baby animals & my obsession for LAMH critters ... I bought the bear cubs some time ago, and one of the set is for a panda ... did I miss a release or freebie of an adult panda, or does one of my other bears already have that and I just haven't noticed (not a far stretch of the imagination for the later, either)?

OK ... Good. I was seeing more money flying out of my account too soon, lol. In the meantime, are the bears all 'related' together like the felidae?

Bears are not. So cubs are a different mesh than the adult.

Bears are not. So cubs are a different mesh than the adult.

Of course they are, lol. In that case, I will get back to work and patiently await your next product. Thanks, again :)

• I have a question regardin saving scenes with Catalyzer fur. I prefer the LAMH version and because I use Iray, I prefer Catalyzer hair. However we can't save a scene with  LAMH fur, because next time the scene won't load and crash DS. So we have to save withouth the fur. But there is no option to load the Catalyzer fur only to the animal. I tried to load a new actor, but even if I renamed fur, I couldn't attach it to the first one. I know I can save the exact pose and load the animal and apply pose, but every time I save a preset I have to wait more than a minute for DS, so I prefer not to. Are there any other way? (Also I am really waiting for those weasels ;) I already have the squirrels/rodents for them! )

3D-GHDesign said:

I know I can save the exact pose and load the animal and apply pose, but every time I save a preset I have to wait more than a minute for DS, so I prefer not to. Are there any other way? (Also I am really waiting for those weasels ;) I already have the squirrels/rodents for them! )

I don't know if this is helpful or not since I render in 3DL, so no need to convert for iray, but when I was having trouble with reopening scenes with LAMH animals, rather than redoing presets all the time, once I have the animal posed where and how I like it, I same just the animal and default camera, then when I try to reload the scene later, I can just merge the solo figure before rendering. I found this especially helpful when I have multiple animals and I've tampered with the skin/fur textures.

• The main problem is with the saving that I can't save the fur. And if I save without fur, I can't load the fur, because it loads only with the figure itself.

3D-GHDesign said:

The main problem is with the saving that I can't save the fur. And if I save without fur, I can't load the fur, because it loads only with the figure itself.

Well, I'm likely going around my elbow to get to my nose, lol, but I don't save the scene with the animal in it. I save the scene separately from animals. When it's time to render, I just merge the animals into the scene, render, then if I still see things I want to change, I make changes, resave the animals individually as scene subsets with just animal with its fur on. Then I resave the scene without the animals and I always add a number to the end so it doesn't save over the last save. Then next time I work with the scene, I just merge animals into the scene. Does any of that make sense? I think it has something to do with how Daz saves a subset scene vs a regular scene. Of course, that could be a total coincidence, but it gets the job done.

edited January 2021

3D-GHDesign said:

The main problem is with the saving that I can't save the fur. And if I save without fur, I can't load the fur, because it loads only with the figure itself.

Hi, that is an issue that unfortunately can happen. I've been trying to ask support about how Studio's save routine works and further explanation about the SDK, but never got any helpful response. But.. I think I understood why it happens and I hope to get it fixed soon. In the meantime, if you could email me the scene that crashes for you (or that loads without fur) that would be helpful for further debugging. Thanks

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,681

Te lo scrivo in italiano, cosi evito una figura a livello internazionale, sai cosa servirebbe a questo Kimbo? Una bella texture bianca, con dettagli neri laugh

• Crios said:

Te lo scrivo in italiano, cosi evito una figura a livello internazionale, sai cosa servirebbe a questo Kimbo? Una bella texture bianca, con dettagli neri laugh

Era un personaggio di un cartone animato, se non ricordo male? Comunque potresti semplicemente desaturare la texture, credo potrebbe bastare a ottenere il risultato.

• JamieMJamieM Posts: 353

Something I really don’t understand:

AM’s Kimbo the Lion Cub (super-cute) comes with a ready-made scene that matches the promo picture.

I can’t work out what’s going on.

If I add an environment, it adds.

If I add an HDRI, it has no effect, even though it appears in the environment settings. No sky!

The scene seems to be in a “black box” of some kind.

It has lighting and shadows, but I can’t work out what is producing the light or where it’s coming from. Or what is blocking the HDRI.

There must be some basic Daz feature I don’t understand yet. But what?

What should I turn off or reset?

Kimbo.JPG
    1326 x 881 - 158K
    edited July 2021

JamieM said:

Something I really don’t understand:

AM’s Kimbo the Lion Cub (super-cute) comes with a ready-made scene that matches the promo picture.

I can’t work out what’s going on.

If I add an environment, it adds.

If I add an HDRI, it has no effect, even though it appears in the environment settings. No sky!

The scene seems to be in a “black box” of some kind.

It has lighting and shadows, but I can’t work out what is producing the light or where it’s coming from. Or what is blocking the HDRI.

There must be some basic Daz feature I don’t understand yet. But what?

What should I turn off or reset?

Hi Jamie, I suppose you need to turn off the environment I set up... see attached image. Cheers

sshot-1.jpg
    2483 x 1576 - 411K
  • JamieMJamieM Posts: 353
    edited July 2021

Thanks so much!

It's the "backdrop" setting. I've been using Daz a year and that's the first time I've come across it!

And, confusingly, these environment options are not in the thing called "environment options"!

(I bought 6 of your animals today! Thanks for such wonderful creatures.)

Post edited by JamieM on
  • JamieM said:

Thanks so much!

It's the "backdrop" setting. I've been using Daz a year and that's the first time I've come across it!

And, confusingly, these environment options are not in the thing called "environment options"!

(I bought 6 of your animals today! Thanks for such wonderful creatures.)

You're welcome Jamie, thanks to you for supporting my work.

• I just bought this great little one (along with the base lion, dforce add-on, smilodon, and ensary's wild poses). I may be missing something obvious, yet I'm seeing many of the shaping and pose control morphs are warped or not doing anything. For example: the claws do not protract at all and the lower jaw morph tears the sides of the mouth away from a stationary jaw. Is this expected to happen?

If it's of note, I've only tried this in Daz Studio 4.22 and have no idea if this is a new thing or has always been this way.

The product page does list these morphs as included features, yet the index file list doesn't and my data folders only have them in the base.

Strangely, the eyes actually seem to close better than for the base lion and smilodon shapes which only close 2/3 of the way at 100%.

I'm curious to know if I'm missing some obvious method or if this is an error somewhere or even if this is just how it is meant to (not) function. I love how the little big cat looks, yet I may need to rethink using it as a main character. I was really excited to use those claw morphs for climbing animations.

Thanks for any help!

• Astraffel said:

I just bought this great little one (along with the base lion, dforce add-on, smilodon, and ensary's wild poses). I may be missing something obvious, yet I'm seeing many of the shaping and pose control morphs are warped or not doing anything. For example: the claws do not protract at all and the lower jaw morph tears the sides of the mouth away from a stationary jaw. Is this expected to happen?

If it's of note, I've only tried this in Daz Studio 4.22 and have no idea if this is a new thing or has always been this way.

The product page does list these morphs as included features, yet the index file list doesn't and my data folders only have them in the base.

Strangely, the eyes actually seem to close better than for the base lion and smilodon shapes which only close 2/3 of the way at 100%.

I'm curious to know if I'm missing some obvious method or if this is an error somewhere or even if this is just how it is meant to (not) function. I love how the little big cat looks, yet I may need to rethink using it as a main character. I was really excited to use those claw morphs for climbing animations.

Thanks for any help!

Hello, I'm not sure why it doesn't work anymore, I swear it did when I released it. Anyway the fix it's quite easy: if you go to Pose Controls and extend the claws, then see the screen attached: check the LionCubJCM_Off slider, set it somewhere between 0 and 60% and you can control how much the claws extend.

sshot-52.jpg
    3483 x 1962 - 465K
  • Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Astraffel said:

I just bought this great little one (along with the base lion, dforce add-on, smilodon, and ensary's wild poses). I may be missing something obvious, yet I'm seeing many of the shaping and pose control morphs are warped or not doing anything. For example: the claws do not protract at all and the lower jaw morph tears the sides of the mouth away from a stationary jaw. Is this expected to happen?

Thanks for any help!

Hello, I'm not sure why it doesn't work anymore, I swear it did when I released it. Anyway the fix it's quite easy: if you go to Pose Controls and extend the claws, then see the screen attached: check the LionCubJCM_Off slider, set it somewhere between 0 and 60% and you can control how much the claws extend.

Yes! That's got it working now! Thank you for the swift response!

If it's useful info for anyone else, I couldn't find LionCubJCM_Off at first. To reveal it, press the stacked line symbol in the corner of the parameters window, go to "Preferences" and turn on "Show Hidden Properties" to display those greyed out settings in the Currently Used tab.

Once I've got the right amount dialed in, I think I'll lock that setting on my figure subsets if it doesn't break anything else to have always on. It doesn't seem to affect other morphs like the snarls which have the opposite problem of 100% being way too much. Adjusting the limits of the parameter settings to somewhere between 33%-50% seems to keep the morphs from going too far.

• I've realized that using LionCubJCM_Off, as the name directly implies, disables the JCMs. Naturally, when the joints bend with correction morphs partially off, the mesh may warp rather badly with poses. I'll try to work with it as well as I may for now and hope the features get fixed someday.

If there's another element I've missed, please, let me know.