Dekogon have said they might be bringing products to Daz

Comments

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    lilweep said:
    lilweep said:
    lilweep said:

https://www.daz3d.com/science-class-bundle

Another one out.  A more recent one.  I feel like this means we will probaly see them all at some point (hopefully)

I hope other content creators dont feel too undercut on the price point on these. They are very reasonably priced.

Seems the PAs doing the transformation into DAZ are a bit lazy though.. no scene files. Drawers not opening, although they are modelled and things not able to be morphed into the looks on the promo pictures (Rubik's Cube for example..)

Considering the price it's still a bargain, but it makes me think twice about buying another set if it's not bigly reduced in price..

The other ones were done well.  I think the PA's they got to do it this time were lazy.

For me it's the small things.. like that service area (KWL Wall 01 Set) of the King Wash Laundromat being not accessible... one has to either use the geometry tool or at least edit out quite some textures to "open it up" and even then there's no door leading into it and no furniture...

Fact: every new product coming from dekogon in the future will be looked at very closely by me before I even think about spending money for it devil

good luck with that...

i mean a scene has to end somewhere lol

scenes do, stories don't... and for a story there usually is the need for different sets or using a set at different times. If you don't see a problem, that's okay.. but my purse is too limited to overspend for stuff I can't fully use without putting in extra work.

• I agree with maikdecker, Dekogon's props have many little issues

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,250
    edited August 2020

I agree with maikdecker, Dekogon's props have many little issues

They are brought to Daz by different PA's.  E.g., the Highschool one was ported by Tesla3DCorp and the Laundromat by - i think - Polish.  So it's really up to the PA's how the sets are supported and implemented.  Those PA's could potentially have the same issues with their own sets too.  So guess you can't buy those either?

One of mailkdecker's critiques was that one side-room area was purely decorative from the outside.  I think this is a very bad take on this environment and an unreasonable expectation that each area of a scene be explorable/fully realised.  I would rather that instead of a plain wall, the wall have a door/window to an inaccessible area as a point of interest.  This is visually much more interesting.  There are many - perhaps to some extent every - environments on the store that use facades on some level to represent an area that is not fully accessible.

Post edited by lilweep on
    edited January 2021

it's finally here: https://www.daz3d.com/basketball-gym

Wish someone other than teslacorp had ported it, but oh well!  (Whoever did the King Wash Laundromat did a good job)

• lilweep said:

Wish someone other than teslacorp had ported it, but oh well!  (Whoever did the King Wash Laundromat did a good job)

At least it is not "melting" when simulating dForce on any character in the scene, like  https://www.daz3d.com/girls-dorm-room

edited January 2021

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

lilweep said:

At least it is not "melting" when simulating dForce on any character in the scene, like  https://www.daz3d.com/girls-dorm-room

i assume they applied dforce modifier to everything by mistake.  Arguably an innocent mistake!

They should just make Polish port all the Dekogon stuff! My suspicion is that Polish ported the King Wash Laundromat and Underground Bunker and some of the others (how the content is organised and the look of the render previews - it is similar to Polish's other render previews and content organisation)

• I Hope we've all picked up the free Subway Tunnel (and train) from Unreal Asset Store?  Dekogon have a couple of props packs free om there too.

dortybassa said:

I Hope we've all picked up the free Subway Tunnel (and train) from Unreal Asset Store?  Dekogon have a couple of props packs free om there too.

i already had the Daz versions.  

There's lots of good free environments on UE marketplace though. Is it easy to import them to Daz? I imagine it is very tedious.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,885

lilweep said:

dortybassa said:

I Hope we've all picked up the free Subway Tunnel (and train) from Unreal Asset Store?  Dekogon have a couple of props packs free om there too.

i already had the Daz versions.  

There's lots of good free environments on UE marketplace though. Is it easy to import them to Daz? I imagine it is very tedious.

I do it but yes takes a while and not all materials convert especially transmapped ones,

my solution is to use the png exporter afterwards on all the textures selected then find replace bmp with png in the mtl file

also obj,mtl and textures need to be in the same folder for DAZ to find them

i should probably give it a try. Ive ported more tedious things to Daz.

Im not really satisfied with tesla3dcorp's attempt to bring this to Daz.  The brick walls looks so bad in the Daz version, and there's no colour variation/roughness variation in the ground/walls/floor.  There seems to be a grunge decal on the surfaces on the showcased images.  Kind of sad that UE renders look much better than an Iray render.

Also, seems like the wrong shader has been applied to particular surface - like linoleum on the ceilings.

This is like the Classroom one all over again. We are going to have to fix it ourselves...

9.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 274K
    basketball-gym-06-daz3d.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 388K
    Capture2.jpg
    3006 x 1710 - 1024K
    Capture3.jpg
    2157 x 1760 - 980K
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

It's not horrible, but what caught my eye was that the floor looks mirror-smooth in the main promo.  Definitely needs a reflection map to make it look like a wood floor.

One general comment is that it's weird to have student lockers inside the perimeter of the gymnasium.  That's not where students typically go to take off their coats before heading to class. They're too small to be equipment lockers, and not exactly where anyone would change.  I mean they're fine for any scene that doesn't show the gymnasium, but kind of weird.

Sevrin said:

One general comment is that it's weird to have student lockers inside the perimeter of the gymnasium.  That's not where students typically go to take off their coats before heading to class. They're too small to be equipment lockers, and not exactly where anyone would change.  I mean they're fine for any scene that doesn't show the gymnasium, but kind of weird.

no one is going to be looking at those lockers when there are those distractingly ugly brick textures...

really dropped the ball on this one

to be fair, concrete block bricks can look like that and used in cheap construction 

never seen a pixelated brick before due to cheap construction but ok

from that render it is difficult for me to discern what you mean TBH

I thought you mean the mustard painted cinderblocks

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

lilweep said:

Sevrin said:

no one is going to be looking at those lockers when there are those distractingly ugly brick textures...

really dropped the ball on this one

LOL, well that is just like a real school so what more could you ask for?

edited January 2021

Y'all really need to train your eyes to see critically if you ever hope to make a good render.

Let me hand hold y'all through this.

This is what it is supposed to look like: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v1aDgA

This is what it actually looks like: https://www.daz3d.com/basketball-gym

There are clearly pixelated artefacts all along the edges (red) which is suggestive of a UV that isnt compatible with the tiling texture, the front facing bricks dont make any practical sense with how a brick would be laid down (blue), and the texture quality is very low res (green)

Capture.JPG
    3110 x 1530 - 475K
    Capture2.jpg
    2431 x 1330 - 336K

I was not looking at it with the benefit of the original though,

that is an easy fix, use a bagged concrete texture instead

like this one

http://www.texturise.club/2013/08/seamless-concrete-wall-maps.html

well it is one glaring problem of many.  That's clearly not the only time the brickwork looks ugly...

My feeling is that if handcrafted textures are already made for an object by a talented team, then we should get to use those textures rather than having to plug in some tiled texture from texture haven or wherever which isnt going to have the edge-darkening or other bespoke details.

Ultimately, my verdict is that tesla3dcorp should not be trusted with these assets lmao!

Im thinking im gonna have to shell out to cubebrush or UE to get the official set and do it myself, sigh.  was hoping i didnt have to do that.  But this is the environment i really need and dont want to use a shoddy imitation version.  I recognise it is probably fine for some people, but i will just be lamenting what could have been the whole time.

I haven't bought it BTW and not fond of Tesla3Dcorp stuff unless it is really cheap cheeky

so there is that devil

to be fair i havent bought it either and am just going off the promos.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

lilweep said:

to be fair i havent bought it either and am just going off the promos.

I think the handrails at the steps look much worse. 

edited March 2021

So i bought the Gymnasium from the other marketplace this weekend and ported to Daz.  Still have to fix some parts of it.

It still looks a lot nicer in UE than in Daz, but at least i know i got all the textures! With that said, there is so much AO and Dirt/edge darkening in the Unreal setup that isnt included in the textures. I could not really figure out how to emulate the setup in Daz, mainly because i didnt understand how it was set up in Unreal to begin with.

So had to manually paint the darkening on the floor in Substance Painter.  I may do the same for walls and stairs etc, but kind of a big task.

0001.jpg
    4000 x 1973 - 1M
    0002.jpg
    4000 x 1973 - 1M

it's probably in a base shader referenced by the individual shaders.

There is a png plugin to make bulk exporting stuff  filtered by texture easier, you need to manually put those in your parameters though

I fastgrabbed this even though I have the two Unreal versions used for free

https://www.daz3d.com/subway-tunnel-environment

just saves me fluffing around porting it over

yeah it's definitely worth a mere $10 to not have to port it yourself.

edited March 2021

i added some more dirt/grunge to the walls to try blend with floor. Not perfect.

Capture1.JPG
    1979 x 986 - 757K
    0009.jpg
    3000 x 1500 - 1M
    Capture1.JPG
    2284 x 1128 - 1M

looking good yes

Daz should hire me to do this but alas.