Carrara Challenge IX “The Joke is On Me” Vote thread now CLOSED -Winners announced

2»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

- Entry #4
    - Artist - Stezza
    - Title - a small drop won’t hurt!

- Entry #: 6
    - Artist: evilproducer
    - Title: Who laid who?

- Entry #: 11
    - Artist: headwax
    - Title: Two Snowman

I only voted on my favorite renders because I'm not really into jokes. I'm not a very worldly person and just don't get the international sense of humor much.

Another tough decision test for voting but there are a couple in there with lighting that I just don't like. Not just for the shadows, but it can make for a really icky looking render when the lighting is such where there are not real shadows to add depth to details and to help to illustrate what is touching what. In that regard, shadows don't have to be prominent or dark, but they do need to be there, even if they're nearly unnoticeable.

Both of Philemo's renders were high on my list of chosen images, so I'd like to add him as my suggestion for the honorable mention, though Totte and DUDU_00001 were right up there too, for various reasons. Totte man... you're really coming along quickly in Carrara. I'd just like you to know that many elements of your hard work almost scored a vote from me in this one. Great job, my friend! DUDU_00001, I love your render as well and it almost got picked too. I still crack up every time I see it, and I also think you did a great job with the render.

All of the renders had stuff that I liked about them. Great job, you all!

That freaking Grape with the machine gun really grabs me man... very cool image! Then come the "which came first?" render... busted a gut... no reading required on that one either. The snowman painting is awesome. The out-of-focus flakes that are too close to the camera really adds a lot to the whole thing. Kind of how I see when the snow on the brow of my cap melts into my eyes. Really nice job, Andrew... really nice.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

It's quite an enjoyable challenge with plenty of very good entries and the choice wasn't easy at all.

So, after lot of internal debate, my votes are :

Entry Nr: 3
    Title: “Esthetic” surgery
    Author: DUDU

I like the concept of "all image" joke with the second image giving the punch line. I find this concept very original. and the pictures are nice to boot.

Entry #: 6

Artist: evilproducer

Title: Who laid who?

I love the joke. Maybe it's because English is not my native tongue and the joke is only possible in English, but I really laugh at this one. An I also appreciate the modelling of the hen.

- Entry #7
    - Artist – Diomede64
    - Title – Singing Under the Umbrella
    I like the poetry behind this picture.

HM

- Entry #12
    - Artist - Stezza
    - Title - safe sex!

I could say because there are sheeps in it, but there is aloso something else I like. Maybe the classical touch on the nude man, in opposition to the subject

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Voting is closed, working on the emails to the winners and runner ups now.

Stay Tuned, Same Bat channel, same Bat time!!!

edited June 2014

Congrats to everyone who entered and again, a big thanks to Daz and Sadot for being this challenge sponsors!

1st Place: $100 towards Daz owned item(s).
    2nd Place: $50 towards Daz owned item(s).
    3rd Place: $25 towards Daz owned item(s).
    In addition, two Honorable Mentions will receive a $10 Daz owned item.

Sadot is donating from his store.
    1st place receives 3 items from his store,
    2nd receives 2, and 3rd receives 1.
    The two honorable mentions also receive an item from his store.

We had a first place tie!!! Philemo got it with a tiebreaker vote!
    Ist place is Philemo

2nd Evilproducer

3rd is headwax

HM is Stezza and Diomede64

Way to go all!

Post edited by d-j-o on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

H aha :) Fantastic news,

Congrats not only to Philemo Evilproducer Stezza and Diomede64
    but to every one who entered!

These challenges are a wonderful idea, not only do they foster a sense of community, but they make us do something a little bit out of the ordinary with Carrara!

And once again a big thank you to both Daz and SADOT, for the kind generosity.

And also of course to kashyyyk - whose name I can now spell :) a good job well rendered ;)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Congrats to Philemo and everybody else that entered!

What headwax said about doing something out of the ordinary is very true. The chicken was my first "character" I modeled entirely with the vertex modeler and I've been using Carrara since version 5 and Raydream before that!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Yes, Congrats to Philemo and the other entrants. Fantastic job, Kashyyyk, for running a great challenge. And thanks to Daz, Sadot, and the other sponsors of these challenges.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

yep.. congrats to all entries... great to see the such diverse humour from around the globe :-)

congrats to the prize winners... worthy winners

and congrats to kashyyyk ( I can't spell it yet! ) great hosting job well done

and thanks to the sponsors...

goodluck Philemo on hosting the next challenge.. no pressure..... ;-)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Philemo had two entries....was it the Sharks or the Vat? Or did I miss a post that said that or do I have to count myself.... just curious!

Congrats to EVERYONE. These all made me laugh when I really needed art to do that... thanks Kash...great job and the prizes are very tempting for next time for me to give it another try.

xx :) SileneUK

edited December 1969

Hi SileneUK,

I think it's both of them.
    If you have a look in the rules on the first article of this thread, it says:
    "If an artist submits two images, then votes for the two images are combined for a single score for that artist,"

Philemo

SileneUK said:
    Philemo had two entries....was it the Sharks or the Vat? Or did I miss a post that said that or do I have to count myself.... just curious!

Congrats to EVERYONE. These all made me laugh when I really needed art to do that... thanks Kash...great job and the prizes are very tempting for next time for me to give it another try.

xx :) SileneUK

edited December 1969

Hi to all
    First of all, congratulations to all the participants. It’s been a great challenge and I’m not a little proud to have won with such a competition. As it ended with a tie break, I would like specifically to congratulate EvilProducer who came so close to win.

A big “Thank you” to Kashyyyk both for the subject of this challenge (very inspiring and fun to read) and for hosting this challenge with such talent.

Last but not the least, I would like to thank all the voters who took on their time to judge this challenge.

Philemo

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,850
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners ! Some really fun renders here!

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Congratulations all! A funny challenge that also involved a lot of skill and imagination.

I hope it was OK for me (as a non-entrant/non Carrara user) to head on over here and cast my vote? Usually there's an invitation to do so in The Commons but I happened to remember about the contest this time. I know there are others happy to stop by and vote, you just need to give us a nudge to remind us :)

edited December 1969

No problem thanks for voting, I didn't even think to invite. We will have to keep that in mind for the future.

edited December 1969

Jindi said:
    Congratulations all! A funny challenge that also involved a lot of skill and imagination.

I hope it was OK for me (as a non-entrant/non Carrara user) to head on over here and cast my vote? Usually there's an invitation to do so in The Commons but I happened to remember about the contest this time. I know there are others happy to stop by and vote, you just need to give us a nudge to remind us :)

All are welcome to vote! In fact it is encouraged! The challenges are a fun way to educate non-Carrara user about Carrara and also provide a cool learning experience for new, intermediate and veteran Carrara users by encouraging them to step out of their comfort zone!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I agree EP, I had almost never made still image before these challenges and I find that amusing and especially instructive by seeing the selected methods to carry out various things…

edited December 1969

Phil, I read only today your vote and I thank you.
    Yes, the deadline is in the second photo but in the bottle, it isn't what one could believe… It's the ablation of an exaggerated extension of the spinal column, like a tail of cat !
    It's for that there was no reaction of Chohole…:cheese:
    Congratulation for your first place well deserved and excellent work everyone !

edited June 2014

I agree EP, I had almost never made still image before these challenges and I find that amusing and especially instructive by seeing the selected methods to carry out various things…

The nice thing about doing stills once in awhile is that it can help with visual story telling. What is a storyboard after all? A series of still illustrations to guide the director, cinematographer, editor and other production personnel through the visual aspects of a film- Almost a visual script really.

They can be useful for a production team of one personas well, in that they can help you remember key angles or movements in a shot. It can be very difficult sometimes to remember the big picture when you also have to do every little thing yourself.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

I carried out all my life some documentary-reports with a base line but much of improvisation on the terrain.
    In animation, I continue with this process because I discover almost each day some new possibilities that I put into practice in my scenario.
    I always make a basic storyboard on paper for each sequence, but it's really by building my scenes which I discovers my film. It's not professional at all, but that works, and it's true, we begin a footage with a still image…

edited December 1969

I carried out all my life some documentary-reports with a base line but much of improvisation on the terrain.
    In animation, I continue with this process because I discover almost each day some new possibilities that I put into practice in my scenario.
    I always make a basic storyboard on paper for each sequence, but it's really by building my scenes which I discovers my film. It's not professional at all, but that works, and it's true, we begin a footage with a still image…

I wouldn't say you method isn't professional. All great directors are willing to improvise if they see something happening on the day. I saw a documentary on Jurassic Park when it first came out, and when Spielberg found out he didn't need to lock his camera down or use bulky equipment to get motion controlled shots to be able to film the plates that dinosaurs would be inserted into, he found it very liberating and improvised some grand shots that way.

edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners, and to all who've entered! My new day-job has me too busy right now to surf the web much, but looks promising to allow for more Carrara time and more web time than I had before - so we'll see what happens. I'm really bummed that I didn't get my idea into fruition for this contest. It wouldn't have won, but I think you all would have got a kick out of the idea!

Cheers, and thanks to the wonderful sponsors for their continued generosity! ;)

edited December 1969

My new day-job has me too busy right now to surf the web much...

...Or check e-mail... ;-P

edited December 1969

My new day-job has me too busy right now to surf the web much...

...Or check e-mail... ;-PI know... swamped... sorry, my friend! :down: