Is there a bug tracker?

wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Is there a bug tracker?

If not do we have a thread of known bugs in C8.5?

If not can we start one? Maybe at Cafe?

I'm not trying to stir anything up, just want to have a list of confirmed bugs somewhere, in the eventuality that C9 gets worked on we should have a priority list. Clear and to the point (not a bitch thread).

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

If you want DAZ 3D to see or contribute to such a thread it would need to be on the DAZ 3D forums and not on a 3rd party site.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Yes but “CarraraCafe” is sponsored by DAZ thus one can say that it's the same thing…

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    If you want DAZ 3D to see or contribute to such a thread it would need to be on the DAZ 3D forums and not on a 3rd party site.

LOL, since we are routinely reminded that DAZ devs don't read these forums, that stipulation seems rather moot.

And yes, DAZ 3D is the sponsor of Cafe - not that they read that either.

I started a top ten bug list for C8 and by keeping it organized and to the point, many (if not most) of them were addressed.

It's of use to users and DAZ alike, but I can edit the forums at Cafe to keep it to just the relevant info, plus we can reply to individual posts there, so it would be possible to comment on individual bugs (confirm, add info, workarounds, etc).

edited May 2014

I can do the same here, and more chance of feedback and input from the relevant people. I am certain more Carrara users still use this forum than they do other forums.

Bugs are submitted to DAZ3D, using Zendesk / Tech Support and marking them "Bug Report" They can then be sorted out and dealt with by the right people. who are then the ones who know which bugs have been submitted.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I can do the same here, and more chance of feedback and input from the relevant people. I am certain more Carrara users still use this forum than they do other forums.

Great! Will you start it please?
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Great! Will you start it please?

Yes I could do that. Just having a chat with someone as to how to formulate it, as we don't want people to not report bugs just because they have already been reported, as multiple reports are often helpful and can indicate how serious the bug is.

edited December 1969

I know at least 2 that I can confirm with documentation:

local SSS calculates as global http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/40106/P15/#589372
    OBJ “Export with Morphs and skinning” (Mac-only) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38780/

• MysticWingsMysticWings Posts: 226
    edited December 1969

I really love this idea since carrara is a great software but... not very stable and lot's of bugs. Still... can't stop loving it!! :)

chohole said:

Bugs are submitted to DAZ3D, using Zendesk / Tech Support and marking them "Bug Report" They can then be sorted out and dealt with by the right people. who are then the ones who know which bugs have been submitted.

I have to say here that I already reported a bug and they told me the bug had been reported before by several users... OK, so why isn't corrected? I don't use carrara for that long, but since I use it I already had 3 or 4 updates to daz and none to carrara... Would really love to see carrara working better, cause it's really a great software!!

edited December 1969

Is there a workaround for your bug?

It's not my goal to start a complaint thread or whatever, I just want to keep track of what is "known" - especially the ones that were introduced with C8.5 (regressive), because I still have C8 and C7.2 that I can open if that will get around it....

I was hoping we would see a C8.6, but it seems past that point.... for me 8.5 is mostly stable.... I very rarely have crashiness - until I have that one scene (or one item) that always crashes...

edited December 1969

Sorry for the complaint, I agree that in a thread like this we should just be direct and simple or it loses it's intention. Just let me carried away.

This specific bug is in UV maps. There was a thread sometime ago where we spoke about it but it was not specific to this issue, it was a wip thread so there's just some posts about this. Anyway, they are the first ones so, this is the link - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38770/

The problem was with uv mapping cylindrical shapes since it always misses one side of the cylinder, it kind of stretch it above all the other what gives problems if you want to use a texture map. Anyway, like I said, it seems that this particular problem is known by the daz crew.

I have to say that in my mac operative system carrara is not very stable. It repeatedly crashes on very simple tasks, I mean, tasks that my computer should handle good so it can just be a bug in carrara. But I think is better to bring them here when they are happening and in that way I can explain the exact situation. One I can say know - I can't insert anything (content, objects, terrains...) by double clicking, it always crashes. Not a very big issue since I can do it other ways but... sometimes is just automatic... and loosing hours of work just by that is so boring...

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

When the Mantis was removed from public access, it was suggested by Daz that there would at some point in the future be a new system which would allow users to see reports that other users have made.

Can we please have a statement from Daz as to the progress that has been made on this?

edited December 1969

This specific bug is in UV maps. There was a thread sometime ago where we spoke about it but it was not specific to this issue, it was a wip thread so there's just some posts about this. Anyway, they are the first ones so, this is the link - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38770/

The problem was with uv mapping cylindrical shapes since it always misses one side of the cylinder, it kind of stretch it above all the other what gives problems if you want to use a texture map. Anyway, like I said, it seems that this particular problem is known by the daz crew.

Thank you for pointing to the discussion thread... I didn't think you were complaining. :) sorry if it felt like I was accusing....

I'll call it... the... cylindrical UV stretched seam bug...? http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38770/

edited December 1969

Well, but I kind of was so... no sorry needed. Just my consciousness speaking :)

Seems a good name to call it. I'll add it to the thread tittle to.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    When the Mantis was removed from public access, it was suggested by Daz that there would at some point in the future be a new system which would allow users to see reports that other users have made.

Can we please have a statement from Daz as to the progress that has been made on this?

Nothing official. I think that they're really excitedly putting all of their resources on DS at the moment. Spooky does say, however, that the development team needs and uses those bug reports coming in from ZenDesk. So that's the best way to get the proper information into the right hands right now... we just cannot see what's being reported/worked on :(
  • That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited May 2014

I can think of two bugs on Macintosh under OS 10.9.x:

The render node capability is broken under Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks. Daz has confirmed this. The work around is to install on both machines and render parts... I submitted this issue back in October 2013, but Daz can provide no timetable for a fix. Having tis work again would make my life sooooo much easier...

Another is in the creation of an NLA when following the Mark Bremmer tut: rotate the plane object, select the tweener and change it to bezier. This will cause C to completely crash out.

I submitted both and Daz has confirmed them as bugs. Their suggested workaround for #1 is to install on both computers and render separately (I will start a thread about that as I am having dropped frames). No workaround for #2 except to avoid it.

Post edited by That Other Persona on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I need to get into more of a habit of submitting bugs into that ZenDesk when I notice/find them. That's how they know what to fix

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

As I understand it, ZenDesk is working on adding the ability for other users to see submitted bugs.

edited December 1969

Spooky does say, however, that the development team needs and uses those bug reports coming in from ZenDesk. So that's the best way to get the proper information into the right hands right now... we just cannot see what's being reported/worked on :(

I am aware of ZenDesk, and of course they need to have bug reports submitted to make corrections.

Whether or not there is of any value in users being able to read bug reports is the question.

It makes sense to check for similar reports before initiating a new one. In my thinking, it makes things more efficient to have fewer reports filed, without redundancy.

The fact that this ability was removed and has not been reinstated, is concerning. I can speculate what the reasons may be but it would be better to get this from the horse's mouth.

edited December 1969

Consider that a user may spend a lot of time documenting something that does not seem to be working as it should. Why should anyone spend their time documenting something that may already be well documented?

This encourages people to submit reports with very little documentation, but perhaps that is what Daz is asking for? They can check in the database and if they need more info, they can contact the user back.

This is why some kind of statement is necessary.

Of course, there is the approach that many people take on the forum, and say they are having a problem publicly, and ask has anyone else experienced something similar?

Is the assumption that people will poll their fellows before submitting a report?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    Spooky does say, however, that the development team needs and uses those bug reports coming in from ZenDesk. So that's the best way to get the proper information into the right hands right now... we just cannot see what's being reported/worked on :(

I am aware of ZenDesk, and of course they need to have bug reports submitted to make corrections.

Whether or not there is of any value in users being able to read bug reports is the question.

It makes sense to check for similar reports before initiating a new one. In my thinking, it makes things more efficient to have fewer reports filed, without redundancy.

The fact that this ability was removed and has not been reinstated, is concerning. I can speculate what the reasons may be but it would be better to get this from the horse's mouth.

As I understand it, they had a big problem having customer support and bug reporting on 2 different systems, as they got lots of tickets being filed on the wrong system which had to be manually transferred. Having it all done through ZenDesk means they can triage them to the right place and don't have to worry about them falling through the cracks. They felt that was worth having to wait for ZenDesk to add some of the features Mantis had.

edited December 1969

Makes sense. I'm certainly not claiming the old bug tracker is missed...

But this all assumes that every report is crystal clear, or even a bug..., or that the devs will understand the issue, or care.

cdordoni said:
    Consider that a user may spend a lot of time documenting something that does not seem to be working as it should. Why should anyone spend their time documenting something that may already be well documented?

This encourages people to submit reports with very little documentation, but perhaps that is what Daz is asking for? They can check in the database and if they need more info, they can contact the user back.

This is why some kind of statement is necessary.

Of course, there is the approach that many people take on the forum, and say they are having a problem publicly, and ask has anyone else experienced something similar?

Is the assumption that people will poll their fellows before submitting a report?

There's the other part where now I don't have to install the rendernode on my Mavericks system since I now know it won't work. That actually saved me at least 2 days work what with all the plugin serials... and a useless waste of my time asking a question here in the forums about an already "known bug".

I'm not doing this for DAZ.

edited May 2014

I will give the newest Mac OS version a try, though I doubt it will work. I agree, it would be nice to know of bugs, and that could save a lot of time. Then we could just let Daz know that we bumped into the bug, too. If only one person is complaining about it, it might not be a big bug. If everybody is bumping into it on a regular basis, it's serious and they might focus on it first, and even push out an update.

I bought Carrara in October, and downloaded Daz for free. Daz has been updated since then.

When I updated to Mavericks, Carrara lost functionality that other apps did not: distributed rendering (Final Cut Pro X, Compressor, even Poser all work fine). It would be nice to have a hint that they are working on a fix. I will admit that I updated to Mavericks and did not have a way to go back on one machine (I botched the backup), so this is partly my doing. However, my new Mac Pro only runs with Mavericks, so until the bug is fixed there is no possibility of using it as a render node. Any Mac bought after November will have Mavericks on it, and thus will not work with render node.

Post edited by That Other Persona on
  • aspinaspin Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

UV mapping of a box seems to be weird: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/35298/

• BratpiperBratpiper Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

The most annoying thing to me is in the modelling room. If you hide a selection of poly's it actually hides more than the actual selection, it adds a border around the edge of the selection and hides that too. This drives me nuts when trying to hide parts of a model. sometimes you can get away with decrementing the selection before hiding, but only if in the middle of a model. I haven't reported this since I assume many more people must be seeing this too?

I also suspect this is tied up with the Geo-graft not working properly. Reason is, that if you actually delete the poly manually to the exact shape of the graft and then apply the graft, it actually works and the UV's are good. Just found this out by experimentation.

Carrara 8.5 on Windows 8.1

edited December 1969

Bratpiper said:
    The most annoying thing to me is in the modelling room. If you hide a selection of poly's it actually hides more than the actual selection, it adds a border around the edge of the selection and hides that too. This drives me nuts when trying to hide parts of a model. sometimes you can get away with decrementing the selection before hiding, but only if in the middle of a model. I haven't reported this since I assume many more people must be seeing this too?

I also suspect this is tied up with the Geo-graft not working properly. Reason is, that if you actually delete the poly manually to the exact shape of the graft and then apply the graft, it actually works and the UV's are good. Just found this out by experimentation.

Carrara 8.5 on Windows 8.1

This sounds like some helpful info. I don't use Genesis so I can't reproduce what you are suggesting, but I know a lot of people have commented on being stuck with this... can you maybe do a quick tutorial or screen grabs to show it?

edited December 1969

OK Here's a quick demo of hiding problem (attachment provided)...

1. Create a simple object in Vertex model room.
    2. Select a block of polys (9 in this instance)
    3. Name the block as a shading domain. You can use then use the selection as is, or deselect and re- select by shading domain.
    4. When selected, got to View Menu > Hide selection
    5. Result = 25 Poly get Hidden (includes a 1 Poly border)

Nothing is lost, if you unhide the polys they are put back. Results are consistant irrespective of model shape or number/shape of selection, always adds a 1 poly border around the extremity. The main issue with all this is when you have a model with a mass of shading domains and are trying to separate them by hiding individually or as multiple groups it is a major headache!

As to Poly Graft, I only tried once with the female genitalia actually on Genesis 2 Female (Genesis 1 and genitalia are part of Carrara 8.5 bundle if I remember correctly). What i did was open the gentalia prop in Carrara to determine the actual shape of polys of that prop then deleted all those polys from the female figure. Load the Genital onto the figure and select 'fit to'. Renders fine with no apparent distortion, I did note some slight gaps on inner thighs in extreme poses. At the moment I went no further than that as I am not doing that type of of work. Knowing DAZ's paranoia re genitals I 'm not inclined to post an image. As I said, it is only a suspision of mine that the hiding issue may be at fault here, mainly because I read somewhere that geo-grafting works by first hiding the poly's on the target figure before applying the graft?

It would be really nice if one knew that someone at DAZ was really taking an interest in all the bugs in Carrara 8.5. Since we acrtually pay for Carrara (as opposed to Studio) don't we deserve a bug clear-out on 8.5 before even thinking of version 9? I certainly won't even consider moving to 9 without absolute proof that the current bugs are gone!

9_Poly_test.jpg
    1048 x 1352 - 149K
    edited December 1969

That seems to be using the lines on the edge of the selection, and thus the polygons beyond them, too.

edited December 1969

After re-reading this i'll just give a quick clarification re Geo graft...
    When I say load the genital onto the figure I mean to load from the browser as normal. Hence it is best to work with two documents: The target figure in one doc and the genital figure in another doc. Delete the polys from the target by refering back to the genital doc. When all relevant polys have been deleted you can close / discard the genital doc and open the target doc. Then load the genital prop from the browser onto the target and select 'fit too'. Useful perhaps if someone else could try this on say the new Dragon 3? I don't have that, but I see there's a thread here about it not working?

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Here are some additional examples of the "Hide Selection" command.
    It would appear that it only takes into account the Vertexes that are selected, rather than the Polygons.
    While DAZ quality control would probably say that this is "working as intended", I would counter with the proposition that the programmer's concept of how this function should work was faulty.

In my opinion, the same faulty thinking exists within the programming of the Add Thickness command, which was also deemed to be "working as intended". (Hexagon gets it right, Carrara does not.)

hide-selection.png
    485 x 624 - 59K
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    In my opinion, the same faulty thinking exists within the programming of the Add Thickness command, which was also deemed to be "working as intended". (Hexagon gets it right, Carrara does not.)

I was gonna say that... Seems Carrara works off the vertices not the polygons...

So how is this "better" than simply designating a new shader domain (which can be made invisible via the shader)? or using the EMPTY POLYGON command?