Stop putting heels on everything!

Comments

• Another fix that might work is to turn the offending part of the heel into its own material zone, then turn it off with opacity - no geometry to be changed.  As long as you are not looking directly face-on at the heel in your image, the change should be imperceptible.  As I primarily use Genesis, I can retrofit clothing, but not shoes so I can't use most of the footwear no matter what... but it is easier to try and cobble things if the shoes are at least separate objects, and not two-made-one, so I wish creators wouldn't do that!  (I know, I know, I am not the primary target market so no one has a reason to listen to me!)

• mumia76mumia76 Posts: 146

It's not just the heels, there are way too many of these sexy fantasy themed outfits in the bundles to begin with. More balance would be great. I'm tired of buying products I'm never going to use.

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048

I keep advocating for both high and low heeled versions of the shoe/boot in question for outfits, but most PA's aren't going to bother to do that.  Sure, you might be able to edit the heels after the fact somehow, but I haven't had good luck with that.  If the PA did the work for everyone else, I wouldn't mind spending a little extra for outfits with both versions (high and low heels).

Sure, you can try to swap out the boots, but a lot of the time the boots in question are specifically designed to match the outfit, and using low heeled boots from other outfits, well they may not match up well with the 'style theme' of the outfit in question.

Fisty & Darc's Amazing Morphing Pumps and Amazing Morphing Boots are awesome!  I wish there were G3F versions of these, as I work mostly with Genesis 3 characters these days (most of the stuff in my library revolves around Genesis 3).

Anyways, I gave up asking PA's to do that, they just aren't going to bother/don't want to spend the extra time.

Eariler this week, I was looking for a decent pair of shoes with 1"-1 1/2" heels that weren't boots but still covered most of the foot at least.  There's a number of 'slipper/pump' style shoes or are sandals, but other than say the restaurant waitress shoes and some sneakers, yeah not a whole lot. Most of the 'non-high heeled' boots and shoes are essentially flats or have very short heels...

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,540

An easier alternative would be to include a few pieces of trim that match the theme of the outfit. You could add them to a pair of generic flat sole boots

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606

I think the same goes for Pose sets. Do PAs think that females ALWAYS wear heels? What about when they have no shoes on? Do they still stand on the tips of their toes? Wouldn't it be a good idea if PAs always included a neutral foot pose option with each pose?

I generally don't use heels, and I don't remember having ever needed to correct a foot pose because it was intended for heels. It's when you use heels that you need a specific foot pose, in my experience, not the other way around. 

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606
    Paintbox said:

I invite the PAs to wear a set of high heels (guys too!) and do a few fighting moves with them. Case closed.

Nobody is arguing that heels are realistic. 

And there's no particular reason why realism should be prefered in 3d renders, be it for heels or for anything else. I strongly doubt in fact that people clamoring for armors without heels use said armors for entirely realistic depictions. If we can have elves and orcs, we certainly can have armors with heels as well. 

I see "it isn't realistic" with regard to 3d renders as a non-argument. You can of course say "for whatever reason, I like armors to not have heels in my renders, so I wish that there would be more armors without heels", but "it's not realistic, so there shouldn't be so many armors with heels" is a non sequitur. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,861
    edited July 2020

I have been binge watching music videos made using Chinese game cinematics and Alan Walker tunes and all those incredibly sexy CGI girls and boys! wear heels while swing their katanas and casting their spells, they fly too!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFar8ctgAwzJ4OqJI29zzCw

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Amen. Mostly they look stupid. Of course 90% of the time I'm putting female outfits on guys. (Which you would think would be a selling point - a no-heel outfit has twice the uses, many times.) 

As far as the kitbashing comments - you have a design that's perfect and coordinated... except then for the boots. Particularly if there are repeating pattens. Can't kitbash that. And that's IF you can find something without heels that vaguely coordinates. 

https://www.daz3d.com/super-hero-suit-for-genesis-8-females is a good example of this -- patterns on the main body of the costume contniue on down onto the boots. 

This is a fantastic outfit I probably won't pick up because of the huge jacked up heels. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,591

Amen. Mostly they look stupid. Of course 90% of the time I'm putting female outfits on guys. (Which you would think would be a selling point - a no-heel outfit has twice the uses, many times.) 

As far as the kitbashing comments - you have a design that's perfect and coordinated... except then for the boots. Particularly if there are repeating pattens. Can't kitbash that. And that's IF you can find something without heels that vaguely coordinates. 

https://www.daz3d.com/super-hero-suit-for-genesis-8-females is a good example of this -- patterns on the main body of the costume contniue on down onto the boots. 

This is a fantastic outfit I probably won't pick up because of the huge jacked up heels. 

Did you not see the low heeled boot option in the promos??

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,427

Amen. Mostly they look stupid. Of course 90% of the time I'm putting female outfits on guys. (Which you would think would be a selling point - a no-heel outfit has twice the uses, many times.) 

The boots are adjustable.  They go from flats to stillettos, you can see it if you watch the video.

edited July 2020

Video is here.  Someone may want to fix the code on the product page so that the video displays properly...

It's a pretty flexible outfit.  I don't like the fact that the high heels don't have a 'fat heel' option, it just becomes more 'stilletto-ey' as you increase the heel length, but at least that might be close enough where I could cobble together a fatter heel if I wanted a high heel option in the first place.  Others are obsessed with stillettos, of course, so that's pretty cool.

They really should play up that adjustable heel in the promo text, for people that aren't going to bother to watch the video.

As for the promo pics, the only images where you can make out the heels (i.e. not a front view) are showing high heels, so I wouldn't have inferred the low heeled option either if I had not read this thread.  A lot of people will just look at the pretty pics as the promo text is usually just a bunch of blah blah so they won't bother reading it.  Sure, you should read the fine print, but who has the time?

It's a pretty cool outfit overall, and someone should fix the code on the page for the video window.

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • Video is here.  Someone may want to fix the code on the product page so that the video displays properly...

It's a pretty flexible outfit.  I don't like the fact that the high heels don't have a 'fat heel' option, it just becomes more 'stilletto-ey' as you increase the heel length, but at least that might be close enough where I could cobble together a fatter heel if I wanted a high heel option in the first place.  Others are obsessed with stillettos, of course, so that's pretty cool.

They really should play up that adjustable heel in the promo text, for people that aren't going to bother to watch the video.

As for the promo pics, the only images where you can make out the heels (i.e. not a front view) are showing high heels, so I wouldn't have inferred the low heeled option either if I had not read this thread.  A lot of people will just look at the pretty pics as the promo text is usually just a bunch of blah blah so they won't bother reading it.  Sure, you should read the fine print, but who has the time?

It's a pretty cool outfit overall, and someone should fix the code on the page for the video window.

If you stop the morph at the fat heel and thicken the sole it kinda works.

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

I keep advocating for both high and low heeled versions of the shoe/boot in question for outfits, but most PA's aren't going to bother to do that.  Sure, you might be able to edit the heels after the fact somehow, but I haven't had good luck with that.  If the PA did the work for everyone else, I wouldn't mind spending a little extra for outfits with both versions (high and low heels).

Sure, you can try to swap out the boots, but a lot of the time the boots in question are specifically designed to match the outfit, and using low heeled boots from other outfits, well they may not match up well with the 'style theme' of the outfit in question.

Fisty & Darc's Amazing Morphing Pumps and Amazing Morphing Boots are awesome!  I wish there were G3F versions of these, as I work mostly with Genesis 3 characters these days (most of the stuff in my library revolves around Genesis 3).

Anyways, I gave up asking PA's to do that, they just aren't going to bother/don't want to spend the extra time.

Eariler this week, I was looking for a decent pair of shoes with 1"-1 1/2" heels that weren't boots but still covered most of the foot at least.  There's a number of 'slipper/pump' style shoes or are sandals, but other than say the restaurant waitress shoes and some sneakers, yeah not a whole lot. Most of the 'non-high heeled' boots and shoes are essentially flats or have very short heels...

Thank you very much for the link to the Boots, that should allow me to use some of the outfits with "battle heels" with some proper footwear. And my Wishlist grows...laugh

edited August 2020

You're welcome @watchdog79!

I started a thread about footwear with multiple heel height options.  Looks like we have at least four options so far...

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/426406/a-list-of-products-which-have-footwear-with-adjustable-heel-heights

The fourth one is essentially a 'build your own sandal' kinda thingie with 10 sole and a bunch of upper options.  Thanks to @markusmatern for pointing that one out!

https://www.daz3d.com/summer-footwear-collection-genesis-2-3-8-female-s

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • LoonyLoony Posts: 1,801

Today got a LOT outfits released and EVERY outfit have high Heels!

https://www.daz3d.com/tara-outfit-for-genesis-8-females (in general a cool outfit... should also be made for males... too much female clothes!)

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-immortals-outfit-for-genesis-8-females

https://www.daz3d.com/asteris-outfit-for-genesis-8-females

https://www.daz3d.com/soul-keeper-outfit-for-genesis-8-females

https://www.daz3d.com/delta-outfit-for-genesis-8-females (very special "high").

It would be nice when the PA`s would stop with the high heels :/

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,050
    Loony said:

Today got a LOT outfits released and EVERY outfit have high Heels!

https://www.daz3d.com/tara-outfit-for-genesis-8-females (in general a cool outfit... should also be made for males... too much female clothes!)

Looking at the promos those heels don't really seem high to me...

The stockings and garter belts style look a bit silly to me, I'd probably replace those by pants, but for once the boots look rather reasonable.

Loony said:

None of those are actually new items, the only new thing about them is that they're included in a bundle.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    tsroemi said:
    DDCreate said:

I agree with the OP BEYOND his post. Enough heels in general. Enough Glam poses, enough glam make up, enough uber girly clothing. I say that because i like to keep my characters/stories realistic. They talk like people talk, they sit like people sit and they wear clothes that typical people wear. I have to kit bash like crazy, fight epic poke through battles and do tons of post work because so many PA's set up females to be care-free Sex in the City women who flit around from rose petal to rose petal. I know fantasy is a big draw here in various forms but it can be really hard to reflect reality.

There..that's my rant :P

I do very much agree, also on the more general level addressed here. I know that sex sells, here as everywhere else, but 1), other things do sell too, and 2), in this time and age, with MeToo and everything, maybe the question of what sells best should not be the only one considered when putting out new products. Apart from this, it‘s often hard for me personally to find poses and clothes to suit my rendering needs, as I create a lot of historic realistic images; and whatever apparently passes for lady-like poses these days surely would have been appropriate only for a very specific group of women in, let‘s say, the 1900s ... If you catch my drift, and not trying to be disrespectful of either those women or the pose creators. But seriously, what is it with all these stuck-out rears and pouting and pushed-out chests, even in so-called everyday pose sets?
    Also, I often wish PAs would, like, create two versions of their female tops: one with the cleavage down to the navel as seems to be the preferred option on anything, regardless of genre, and the second one with a simple inset or something of that kind for more realistic clothing needs. It‘s happened so often that I would have really loved to buy a set of clothing but didn‘t because the amount of cleavage was just way too much. Also also, it would be so cool if there were two skirt length options as well, as I‘m really missing more long skirts and dresses in the store. I am aware however that these are more difficult to rig. Shouldn‘t be much of a problem with dforce clothes though I reckon.

The trouble with what's considered appropriate its about some wanting to control what others do; as though some adults have less rights than others.

I understand the need for historically accurate, but delve beneath the surface and there was a lot of ugly; there was also a lot of surprises, where woman did many tasks folks didn't expect, or want them to do. Of course history was written by men (of which I am one).

Back on topic; yeh I have frequent rants about heels and stuff.

I've given up, I'll buy what I want, and vote with my wallet on stuff that fails even slightly. Buying something despite a gripe, well all that tells Daz and the PA is that it was good enough.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I have been binge watching music videos made using Chinese game cinematics and Alan Walker tunes and all those incredibly sexy CGI girls and boys! wear heels while swing their katanas and casting their spells, they fly too!

I can't see heels being a problem when flying as they could become a useful weapon, and obviously no tripping over them either.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,388
    nicstt said:
    tsroemi said:
    DDCreate said:

I agree with the OP BEYOND his post. Enough heels in general. Enough Glam poses, enough glam make up, enough uber girly clothing. I say that because i like to keep my characters/stories realistic. They talk like people talk, they sit like people sit and they wear clothes that typical people wear. I have to kit bash like crazy, fight epic poke through battles and do tons of post work because so many PA's set up females to be care-free Sex in the City women who flit around from rose petal to rose petal. I know fantasy is a big draw here in various forms but it can be really hard to reflect reality.

There..that's my rant :P

I do very much agree, also on the more general level addressed here. I know that sex sells, here as everywhere else, but 1), other things do sell too, and 2), in this time and age, with MeToo and everything, maybe the question of what sells best should not be the only one considered when putting out new products. Apart from this, it‘s often hard for me personally to find poses and clothes to suit my rendering needs, as I create a lot of historic realistic images; and whatever apparently passes for lady-like poses these days surely would have been appropriate only for a very specific group of women in, let‘s say, the 1900s ... If you catch my drift, and not trying to be disrespectful of either those women or the pose creators. But seriously, what is it with all these stuck-out rears and pouting and pushed-out chests, even in so-called everyday pose sets?
    Also, I often wish PAs would, like, create two versions of their female tops: one with the cleavage down to the navel as seems to be the preferred option on anything, regardless of genre, and the second one with a simple inset or something of that kind for more realistic clothing needs. It‘s happened so often that I would have really loved to buy a set of clothing but didn‘t because the amount of cleavage was just way too much. Also also, it would be so cool if there were two skirt length options as well, as I‘m really missing more long skirts and dresses in the store. I am aware however that these are more difficult to rig. Shouldn‘t be much of a problem with dforce clothes though I reckon.

The trouble with what's considered appropriate its about some wanting to control what others do; as though some adults have less rights than others.

I understand the need for historically accurate, but delve beneath the surface and there was a lot of ugly; there was also a lot of surprises, where woman did many tasks folks didn't expect, or want them to do. Of course history was written by men (of which I am one).

Back on topic; yeh I have frequent rants about heels and stuff.

I've given up, I'll buy what I want, and vote with my wallet on stuff that fails even slightly. Buying something despite a gripe, well all that tells Daz and the PA is that it was good enough.

But the things people do are quite usually controlled by other people, and necessarily so - that is why human society needs laws, right, and rules of social conduct? These rules of course must not be imposed but agreed upon, but there will always be a certain amount of outside control involved too. That‘s simply because we all agree that one should not cross a red light in general, but maybe right now feel it is rather inconvenient for ourselves to wait for the lights to change ... know what I mean? Anyways, I sure don‘t mean to impose anything on anyone here. But as a woman, I start to get sort of tired of all those boobs staring at me from 3d promo pictures and from renders slowly. They make me feel like, Is this really all we are to you guys? Even in this free, beautiful, creative world that 3d gives us, where anyone could be anything. And is this still really all you want to have a woman for in your pictures - a pair of boobs and a nice behind and an adoring simper? - I‘m not talking about you personally of course! 

Anyway, I really share your views on the last point - vote with the wallet, the easiest and obvious thing to do.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited August 2020
    nicstt said:

That's technically true, but also a misconception.

In the medieval era, history was written by monks, who did whatever the aristocrats who were paying them said to do. Much of it was anonymous, but one of the few manuscripts we know the author and patron--Lancelot, Knight of the Cart--was commissioned by a woman. And when the monk balked at the adulterous subject matter, his patron fired him and got somebody else to finish it the way she wanted it.

That's what I call "voting with your wallet". wink

Regarding the preponderance of high-heeled boots, I do think it's kind of ridiculous. The fourth promo image for the https://www.daz3d.com/dark-wolf-outfit-for-genesis-8-females made me raise an eyebrow the first time I saw it.

Maybe a better solution than making high heels and low heels for one outfit would be for PAs to create one pair of boots for, like, five or so of their older outfits, with morphs, textures, and bits of flair to match. That way, they could see how much demand there really is for low-heeled boots, and on a practical level it'll probably drive up sales of their old outfits too as people buy the ones they don't have to complete their collection.

Post edited by margrave on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

This just appeared in Fast Grab - https://www.daz3d.com/amazing-morphing-boots-for-genesis-8-females for USD 5.39. smiley

The full price may show until the store settles down, as usual, but the cart shows the correct price.

• inception8inception8 Posts: 280

I agree.

I couldn't tell you how many times I was and have been disappointed to see a really cool outfit with the 'it must have the sexy heels because the sexy heels sell'. Goes all the way back to V4 content.

But you could also blame some fantasy art and maybe games. It's an all encompassing mindset.

When I do see something that catches my eye I'm usually looking it over to see how it can be discarded and something else can be used in it's place. MOST outfits that include heels SHOULD be made and or designed around the idea that the outfit is modular as well that way the end user can use something else in their wardrobe to replace it.

I'm maybe a little biased and more or less punk rock. Girls in boots are sexy too. ;o)

• Db3dDb3d Posts: 248

I agree.  THere needs to be more variety when it comes to women's shoes.

• LintonLinton Posts: 541

https://www.daz3d.com/s3d-fc-boots-for-genesis-3-and-8-females

https://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-boots-for-genesis-2-female-s

These two are my go to items for almost every scene. I use the boots as a kitbash against all other item sets so I can avoid heels. The sci fi boots come with a huge variety of colours, and you can always change the shaders on sections to mix it up even more.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited September 2020
    nicstt said:

I can't see heels being a problem when flying as they could become a useful weapon, and obviously no tripping over them either.

...the character American Maid from the old Tick animated series used them as throwing weapons, usually pinning her targets to a wall with them.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited September 2020

...oh and not just medieval and fantasy, but sci-fi outfts as well. 

I keep thinking about all those slippery highly polished starship decks we have available in the store, particularly, the ones that also have metal gratings in them which make prefect "heel catchers" for the poor heroine trying to escape down a corridor from the big bad alien BEM chasing her.

Can you say "instant lunch"?

*urp*

Sure, I knew you could.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kervalakervala Posts: 184

I completely agree and PAs continue to put them :s

• ChakradudeChakradude Posts: 249

FSMCDesigns said:

AMEN!  I'm not buying the Age of Heroes bundle because of the bloody heels. Two great characters with useless outfits. It's a bloody joke.

I am all for options, even though I love heels on my women, virtual or not, but this response made me go out and toss this bundle in the cart because I hate seeing PAs penalized like this. If you want to get the point across that you would prefer non heeled options, supporting the PA and then letting them know what your preferences are is a much better option and likely to get you better results than boycotting them.

there is a thing in this community called kitbashing, which means you don't have to use the shoes that come with any outfit.

Well, I can't completely agree with your logic. I have bought several sets with heals dispite not being happy with the heels (or not noticing till I use the set)  because I do kitbash like you say. But I have seen it said that Daz and the PA's dont listen to griping on the forums they listen to the bottom line ie what people BUY. So in that sence I am supporting the status quo...ah well. 
    I like your products BTW

• ZwytZwyt Posts: 119

WendyLuvsCatz said:

someone as I said before needs to create a deheeler

That sounds like an excellent project for Sickleyield, she makes products like that all the time.

• sumirekotani said:

I don't know how many times I've seen this as well, in movies and video games... and I always laugh out loud. "If someone in heels tried a spin kick like that in real life, the only thing she'd accomplish is a broken ankle!"

I saw something that suggested a lot of time heels (or at least the platform heels like the Gal Gadot Wonder Woman wears) are there for a very film reason—the need to have the actors close in height for close-up framing when it's two heads. 

My biggest heel beef is that there's almost nothing between no/very short heel and massive ones. So many good shoes are ruined by having heels that are boarderline fetish height, which makes posing really hard because the character's foot is almost all the way down in order for it to work. Where are the equivalent of 3/4"-1" heels?