Carrara 8.5 crash on exit! ...... SOLVED!

homey_jayhomey_jay Posts: 44
edited May 2014 in Carrara Discussion

I just bought Carrara 8.5 today and finally downloaded everything I wanted (took ages!)
The first thing I did was to install C8.5 and mess around with it but when I quit, the app just crashed and gave a standard windows error box that said "Carrara 8 has stopped working".
I've uninstalled it and re-installed it too many times to count, removed all the content, re-downloaded etc etc..
All the other programs are working just fine. I've just run a virus checker and it's all clear.
I've diabled the firewall and there is no Anti Virus running.

Can anyone please help - I spent over 7 hours trying to get this bloody thing to work and am ready to give up now...

:(

c8Crash.JPG
839 x 750 - 73K
Post edited by homey_jay on

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited May 2014

The message says Carrara 8. Did/do you have an earlier version on your machine? I am trying to remember when I used to have crashes what it would say. My problem was a lack of memory, even though 8.5 pro says 4GB is sufficient...it's ain't!

Some here had more than one version running when the beta was out, and they were OK as they had them in different folders in their DAZ programme folder.

Just asking.... if it's more serious, I wouldn't have a clue. Sadly it's a holiday weekend here and in the US so don't know if many are around to answer you today or tomorrow.

Hope you can find some answers...

SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • homey_jayhomey_jay Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    I didn't have another version on the machine at all, so I guess I just need to wait for Tech Support to eventually get bored and answer my question!
    I never noticed that the message says Carrara 8 and not Carrara 8.5 - I must have seen that damn screen 30 times today and never noticed it.
    Well spotted!

H. (also in the sunny ole' UK)

edited December 1969

homey_jay said:
    Hi,
    I didn't have another version on the machine at all, so I guess I just need to wait for Tech Support to eventually get bored and answer my question!
    I never noticed that the message says Carrara 8 and not Carrara 8.5 - I must have seen that damn screen 30 times today and never noticed it.
    Well spotted!

H. (also in the sunny ole' UK)

Sorry I can't be helpful.... you will probably hear from a helpful forum member here before you hear from DAZ TS !!! I'd post your machine specs as that's often a good indicator of problems.

Yes, sun at last here in B'tol!

xx :) Silene

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I don't have Windows 8 or C8.5, but I will tell you that it is a national holiday here in the US and DAZ staff will most likely be out of the office on Monday.

In the meantime, is it crashing when you are using it or only when you exit the program?

• eyeseeeyesee Posts: 172
    edited May 2014

Hi homey_jay,

I see you found a price you were happy with.

As to your problem, a good place to start would be to give details of your equipment.
    Such as Operating system, amount of memory, processor, weather pc or laptop or whatever, any other software that you may have running at the same time (i.e Virus checkers, etc...), I think you said you had an Nvidia Quadro business graphics card but graphics card details would be useful for anyone else that hasn't read previous posts.

Edit:

Silene:

I think I'll move to Bristol. It's been raining all day again here., but hey, it's Manchester, what else is it going to do? Sun Shine is that that big yellow thing I saw once in the sky?)

Eyesee (Jedi Tea Master - Mug fully charged!)

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    Hi homey_jay,

As to your problem, a good place to start would be to give details of your equipment.
    Such as Operating system, amount of memory, processor, weather pc or laptop or whatever, any other software that you may have running at the same time (i.e Virus checkers, etc...), I think you said you had an Nvidia Quadro business graphics card but graphics card details would be useful for anyone else that hasn't read previous posts.

Edit:

Silene:

I think I'll move to Bristol. It's been raining all day again here., but hey, it's Manchester, what else is it going to do? Sun Shine is that that big yellow thing I saw once in the sky?)

Definitely more info would help!

Sorry for you Brits! It's 78ºF (25.5ºC) with a light breeze and sunny here in north-central Wisconsin. No work tomorrow and slow smoking a small beef brisket from our dearly departed Jersey steer, Whopper Jr.

smoker.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Brisket.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Hey, I think we all have felt your pain with some piece of software or another. Try not to take your frustration out on anything or anyone important.

Here are a couple of things to consider, in addition to what everyone else has said.

- Did you install C8.5 yourself from the base files, or did you have DAZ's DIM install?
    - Whatever you used to install, did you install to the default location or to a custom location? Public or private?

Also, there may be an issue with one of the databases that has been updated for Studio. So, have you recently updated other Daz software? The reason I ask about the databases and updates is because of the following thread, in which they say that Carrara might have trouble interacting with some database. If you just installed Carrara, maybe the new install files contain the problematic database.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41604/

edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    Hi homey_jay,

Edit:

Silene:

Sorry for you Brits! It's 78ºF (25.5ºC) with a light breeze and sunny here in north-central Wisconsin. No work tomorrow and slow smoking a small beef brisket from our dearly departed Jersey steer, Whopper Jr.

EP, that looks tremendous. Getting in my car now. Should make Wisconsin in about 20 hours.

Actually, we have the annual pilgrimage of about 250,000 motorcycles here this weekend. To celebrate, I rode a bicycle down by the monuments. Felt a little out classed, but I wouldn't miss it.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Hey, I think we all have felt your pain with some piece of software or another. Try not to take your frustration out on anything or anyone important.

Here are a couple of things to consider, in addition to what everyone else has said.

- Did you install C8.5 yourself from the base files, or did you have DAZ's DIM install?
    - Whatever you used to install, did you install to the default location or to a custom location? Public or private?

Also, there may be an issue with one of the databases that has been updated for Studio. So, have you recently updated other Daz software? The reason I ask about the databases and updates is because of the following thread, in which they say that Carrara might have trouble interacting with some database. If you just installed Carrara, maybe the new install files contain the problematic database.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41604/

Great point about the database update Diomede. I perused the thread, but I keep forgetting about the Smart Content Tab and the DB and stuff that was added in C8 and later.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    eyesee said:
    Hi homey_jay,

Edit:

Silene:

EP, that looks tremendous. Getting in my car now. Should make Wisconsin in about 20 hours.

Actually, we have the annual pilgrimage of about 250,000 motorcycles here this weekend. To celebrate, I rode a bicycle down by the monuments. Felt a little out classed, but I wouldn't miss it.

Are you referring to D.C.?

edited May 2014

Evilproducer,

That's no SMALL steak, you've put the whole animal on haven't you? Hope your not planning to eat it all by yourself, that'd feed me for a week... well maybe three days. And it's a barbeque, where's the fire, there's got to be lots of fire or else what's a man going to do? :-P

Eyesee (Jedi Tea Master - Feeling decidedly hungry now. Where's the biscuits?)

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    eyesee said:
    Hi homey_jay,

Edit:

Silene:

Are you referring to D.C.?

Yes, this is Rolling Thunder weekend. Obviously, Memorial Day is all about the veterans, especially with troops still in harms way across the globe, but the motorcycle thing has taken on a life of its own - in addition to its connection to vets.

edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    Evilproducer,

That's no SMALL steak, you've put the whole animal on haven't you? Hope your not planning to eat it all by yourself, that'd feed me for a week... well maybe three days. And it's a barbeque, where's the fire, there's got to be lots of fire or else what's a man going to do? :-P

Eyesee (Jedi Tea Master - Feeling decidedly hungry now. Where's the biscuits?)

A brisket is the mass of flesh that hangs down on a bovine between the front legs. It is generally considered a garbage cut that would normally be ground up. It has a lot of collagen in the meat itself, with a thick fat layer. It is great smoked at a low temp. You then either pull (shred) it for sandwiches or slice it. Slow cooking it to 180º F (82º C) breaks down the collagen and makes it moist and tender. This one was small at about 6 or 7 pounds (2.72 to 3.2 Kg). I have a 14 pounder (6.35 Kg) in the freezer waiting for a summer party. Cook at 250º F (121º C) about an hour per pound.

edited May 2014

Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in replying - just trying to keep out of the rain on this side of the pond!
    I installed using the Install Manager.
    I installed to the default directory using the default settings.

It works just fine when it's running but crashes 100% of the time when quitting. I have to make bloody sure that I save and close any open document first or it will a) not save anything b) corrupt the document sometimes.

My machine spec:

Win7, 32bit
    Dell T3500 Workstation w/ Xeon CPU
    4gb of RAM
    Twin monitors
    Nvidia Quadro NVS295 video card

Hope I've included everything!

Just installed that Postgres thing and C8.5 still crashes on exit...
    :(

edited May 2014

Hi homey_jay,

I don't have a lot of experience with Carrara, but as you can see it's a bit quite round here till Tuesday. So, I'll try and help all I can.

There's nothing about your hardware that jumps out.
    You've eliminated PostgreSQL as a candidate as you've tried it with and without it.

As it's a fresh install it suggests to me that it's the environment it's running in rather than Carrara specific.

To rule out somethings you could

a. Check you have plenty of disc space. (Easy to overlook the obvious)
    b. Check your disc(s) are OK using "CHKDSK" -
    Select Start\ All Programs\Accessories\Command Prompt (Right Click and "Run as administrator")
    In the console type "chkdsk c:" no parameters will check the integrity of disc without changing anything
    If any problems ARE reported re-run as follows - "chkdsk c: /F" this will fix errors.
    c. When running Carrara have "Task Manager" open "Ctrl+ALT+DELETE" and select "Performance" tab, so you can monitor how much memory your using. (This one's a long shot) but might give some clues.

EDIT:

Have you customised any of Carrara's Preferences?

Eyesee (Jedi Tea Master - Looking for his Deerstalker hat and Violin)

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

Hi
    Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm just going through them checking each one!

I have over 250gb free on the main drive so I don't think that thats not the problem.
    I ran the chkdsk command and after an hour or so it repoted that it didn't find any errors at all.

I think I have enough memory left (see pic)

mem.JPG
    932 x 885 - 126K
    edited May 2014

The next thing is to try running in "Safe Mode".
    This runs windows with the minimum software needed and will tell you if it's something else on your system that's interfering.

1. RESTART windows
    2. As windows boots press the "F8" key and select "SAFE MODE"
    N.B Your regular graphics drivers will NOT load so you will not be used to using the screen mode it boots to.
    3. Run Carrara and see if you get the same error.
    4 If NOT then it's something else that's loading that's causing the problem.

EDIT:

After that if you can think of anything that is individual to your system that you've have loaded and unload or temporarily uninstall them one at a time, and see if the error stops being reported.

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

I hadn't thought of trying Safe Mode!
    Carrara still crashes in safe mode while quitting. :(

There MUST be something else that's getting loaded on boot. I cant work out how it's ONLY Carrara that's crashing and nothing else though!
    How do i start disabling stuff that gets loaded?

edited May 2014

We've eliminated it being other loaded service/programs by running in safe mode, as it only loads the minimum needed to run windows not any additional startup programs

But for future reference:

You can unload or stop services from "Task Manager"

You can either select a process from "Process Tab", right click and select "End Process"

and stop/start services from the "Services Tab", right click and select "Stop Service"

N.B. The fact your the only one getting this error suggests it's some customisation or application you have loaded on your system. Can you think of anything unusual you have loaded or any windows settings you may have changed? It may be something from a while back.
    I had a similar problem with a new program I bought not long ago. (not Carrara). In the end it was easier to reload windows than to try and track down what I'd changed. (That program's been working fine since by the way)

EDIT:

One customisation I've done in the past that seemed innocent enough but caused problems with programs was to increase the display size in Control Panel\Display

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited May 2014

Thanks Eyesee
    I can't remember having installed anything on this PC for many many months! It's my work PC and as my livelihood depends on it, I never mess with it!
    I'm acutely aware of just how easy it is to screw stuff up. Maybeit was a windows update but surely everyone else would have had the problem too then?

Unfortunately, I don't have another PC - got rid of that and bought an iPad Air a couple of months ago. Kinda wishing I hadn't done that right now as I could have installed C8 on another machine at least.

I'm desperate not to re-install Win7, I have to learn C8 quickly and dump TrueSpace asap but this is really eating my time up!

edited May 2014

It maybe best, then, to wait till there's more people on the forum that can help, as I've run out of things we can try.

I can see your reluctant to reload windows,

I'm assuming as it's you work PC you've got everything backed up, and it would be the quickest way (given your time constraint) to get things running smoothly.

You'd just need to check and double check, before hand , you've got everything you need to reload (applications discs, drivers, etc.)

and that you take a back up of EVERYTHING before doing so, to be on the safe side.

EDIT:

Tip - If you haven't already it's worth while having two disc drives in your system. One for windows and programs and the other for your work files. This has two advantages

1. Makes it easy to reload windows if the need arises (which it does often) as all your vital files are on a separate disc.
    2. Improves system speed as there's no contention when trying to read programs and data files at the same time.

Is it my imagination or has your post about running Carrara Standard and not Carrara Pro disappeared

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

Does it crash with empty scenes?

edited December 1969

By the way homey_jay,

If you contact DAZ sales through "help\contact us" and explain about having a 32 bit system which Carrara Pro 8.5 will not run on, I'm sure they'd give you a refund. They're very good that way.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You did install the 32bit version of Carrara 8.5?

edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    By the way homey_jay,

If you contact DAZ sales through "help\contact us" and explain about having a 32 bit system which Carrara Pro 8.5 will not run on, I'm sure they'd give you a refund. They're very good that way.

He should get both versions if he bought Pro. From what I understand, the 32 bit version shows as standard, but if you enter the Pro serial number it unlocks the 32 bit Pro version.

Cho, if he has the 64 bit version installed on a 32 bit system, I don't think it would even allow him to launch the program. At least that's the way it is on a Mac.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    By the way homey_jay,

He should get both versions if he bought Pro. From what I understand, the 32 bit version shows as standard, but if you enter the Pro serial number it unlocks the 32 bit Pro version.

Cho, if he has the 64 bit version installed on a 32 bit system, I don't think it would even allow him to launch the program. At least that's the way it is on a Mac.

I did just wonder slightly is all. Wasn't certain if everyone knew that about the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of 8.5 pro.

edited May 2014

homey_jay said:
    Thanks Eyesee
    I can't remember having installed anything on this PC for many many months! It's my work PC and as my livelihood depends on it, I never mess with it!
    I'm acutely aware of just how easy it is to screw stuff up. Maybeit was a windows update but surely everyone else would have had the problem too then?

Unfortunately, I don't have another PC - got rid of that and bought an iPad Air a couple of months ago. Kinda wishing I hadn't done that right now as I could have installed C8 on another machine at least.

I'm desperate not to re-install Win7, I have to learn C8 quickly and dump TrueSpace asap but this is really eating my time up!

Hi Eysee,

Sorry you are still having so much trouble. Been there, done that.

Silly little things....

RenderNode installed OK?

Have you run msconfig? Then you can un-tick all un-necessary programmes that start up with your machine. Might be something in there that you may you have removed the shortcut, start list item or tray icon for that's still tagging along with your startup as the programme is still on your machine and starting up without you knowing.

Done a disc-defrag, cleanup? Also, have you tried disabling your second monitor just to try it that way?

Are you using Internet Explorer? If you are using IE11, roll back to IE10 or 9. Or go to Google Chrome. I cannot even view the DAZ forum any more on IE as it gives that 502 fancy error page all the time and cannot get rid of it, even when I rolled back to IE10 and changed browser settings and got rid of old cookies, etc.

Would it be worth reinstalling Carrara after saving all your customised presets and content files which you can then put back in afterwards? I kept reinstalling until I gave in and with help from posters here decided that I was memory starved. I could not even get a 100mb scene to save, under 20mb all was OK. Have you noticed that small scenes don't crash?

Hope you get some relief...I had this kind of problem with freezing/crashing. I had to put all the memory I could into my 64-bit machine.

Regardless of what the specs say are OK per below, IMHO it's NOT! (I have a 64-bit version/machine) and a while back I was getting the crash dialogue all the time....then I finally gave in and bought some more memory from Mr. Memory (Euro company but got very fast delivery and good price).

I tried to visit the Carrara software buying page and do not see the specs... have I gone blind?? This is a copy and paste from my old thread about my problems with crashing. Like you, I use my machine for my living using Adobe Creative Suite.. Carrara and DAZ stuff is a learning project for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    REQUIRED: (this was on the product site a while back, can't find it now)
    64 bit
    •WHQL-64 certified
    •Windows 8, 7, Vista 64 SP1
    •1 GB RAM min (2 GB RAM recommended)
    •600 MB free hard drive space for installation
    •Hardware accelerated OpenGL 1.6 compatible graphics card with at least 512 MB RAM (OpenGL 2.2, or higher, compatible recommended)
    •OpenGL 1.3 compatible graphics card with at least 128 MB RAM (Hardware accelerated OpenGL 2.2, or higher, compatible recommended with 512MB RAM)
    •Drivers supporting OpenGL 1.3 or higher
    •DirectX 9 (DirectX 10 recommended)

I USED TO HAVE for MEMORY
    Dell Vostro 430
    64-bit Windows 7
    Intel i-7 processor 860 @ 280hz
    4GB memory
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took out my two 2GB of memory and put in four 4GB memory into my previous plus vacant slots. That was all I was able to do with this machine.

And WOW... all moved faster and no more crashes! I even can save a 1.5GB scene which I am doing now.. scene saves in under a minute without fuss. But it does not have any Carrara hair or other memory-eating operations in it which hog memory too and slow things down. But I still don't crash, it just saves slowly fi there's lots of hair, eg for grass and on people/animals.

I have to be out and the US hasn't woken up yet.... be back later (raining today). Hope you solve things soon, I know it can be SO discouraging.

Don't give up...we shall go on to the end.... we shall never surrender!

xx :-/ Silene

ETA: Have you tried uninstalling TrueSpace (then reinstall if it does not make any difference?)

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys, I really, really appreciate the help.
    I just wish that DAZ would show a little more interest and bother to even reply to my support email from days ago. Makes we wonder if I'm making the right choice hitching my waggon to this horse..

Carrara crashes with a totally empty scene.
    I've reset the prefs just in case I've changed something.
    I too was concerned that TruSpace was messing with something so I uninstalled it over the weekend but C8.5 still crashed and kept crashing.

I've really run out of things to try and pretty much the only thing I can do is to re-install the OS in 64bit form. Although everything is backed up, it's still a major PITA...

edited December 1969

homey_jay said:
    I've really run out of things to try and pretty much the only thing I can do is to re-install the OS in 64bit form. Although everything is backed up, it's still a major PITA...

Not sure what you mean by that? Do you have a 64-bit machine? x Silene

edited December 1969

Yup, I have a Xeon cpu and I'm pretty sure that's 64bit capable.