Carrara 8.5 crash on exit! ...... SOLVED!

2»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

As Chohole mentions above, you may have inadvertently installed the 64 bit version onto your 32 bit OS.

See the images below of my Product Library from my account.

Notice that, if I select "Carrara 8.5 Pro" I only get 64 bit options. I don't recall if this is labeled the same in DIM.

If I select "Carrara 8.5" I get the 32 bit installer, but it doesn't say "Pro" on it anywhere.

Chohole has discovered that, to install and run 32 bit Carrara 8.5 Pro, you must download and install 32 Bit Carrara 8.5 and then run the "Carrara 8.5 Pro" Serial Number, which unlocks all of the Pro works for 32 Bit C 8.5!

We are forever grateful to Chohole for digging and making this discovery ;)

Perhaps that might help?

Install_32bitPro_Serial.jpg
    984 x 776 - 551K
    Install_32bitPro.jpg
    930 x 745 - 563K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

homey_jay said:
    Yup, I have a Xeon cpu and I'm pretty sure that's 64bit capable.

So you got both 32-bit and 64-bit OS software discs when you got it? Hmmmmm.

If you want to take advantage of your 4GB RAM, don't you HAVE to use the 64-bit operating system? So if you put that on there, then you'd be able to load the 64-bit Carrara as Dart says in his post. But I suffered memory loss (bad pun) and still had to upgrade my memory for any decent performance.

Is this you?

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/q2wk6_dell_precision_t3500_spec_sheet.pdf

I'm confused.com!

:-/ Silene

• eyeseeeyesee Posts: 172
    edited December 1969

64 Bits is they way to go as it allows you to access greater than 4 GB of memory.
    I know you've only 4GB of physical memory installed but windows can use the pagefile to extend that if it needs to.
    My money's on everything being Hunky Dory when you reload it.

Something I didn't know that EvilProducer posted earlier (I'm running 64 bit version).
    If you put the Carrara Pro key into Carrara Standard 32 bit it unlocks the Pro features.

Good Luck!! (Not that you'll need it) :-)

edited May 2014

Chohole and Dartanbeck,

The situation with 32 Bit Windows is the same as EvilProducer was saying about the MAC.

You can't run a 64bit app on a 32bit version of the OS, you just get an error message if you try. ;-)

Edit:

Running DIM on a 32bit system will mean DIM only displays 32bit versions of programs.
    I only know because I tried it on by emergency backup laptop which is 32bit.

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

Ahhh...

Well this laptop has an earlier Core2Duo and 4GB RAM and runs Carrara 8.5 Pro 64 just fine on Win 7 Home 64, if that helps at all.

There are a few times that Carrara "Stops Working" on close, but certainly not all the time.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Instability is certainly not optimal, but if it only crashes when the program is closed, is it a deal breaker? The Intel core2 duo iMac I use for network rendering occasionally crashes when it gets done with what is in the batch queue. By rights, I shouldn't even be able to launch a Carrara 7.2 render node on a 64 bit machine running OS X Mavericks.

edited December 1969

Instability is certainly not optimal, but if it only crashes when the program is closed, is it a deal breaker?
    Not for me. If I'm still working on other things, I often don't even notice it. Sometimes I'll open Task Manager and end the process.
  • homey_jayhomey_jay Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

SOLVED! SOLVED! SOLVED! SOLVED!

It was that piece of c*ap QUICKTIME all along!!
    I uninstalled it and Carrara immediately started working and did not crash on exit! What's more I re-installed it and it started crashing again and I swear that it was actally running slower.
    I don't think I have anything on my system that uses Quicktime so it's gone and now I can finally get back to work.
    I just wanted to thank all you guys (and girls) for all the help!

WooHoo..

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

QT has the bad habits to start with Windows, it is necessary to prevent that in “Execute/msconfig/Starting” (french translation).
    There are others programs too, like Adobe reader, Office,Nero, etc…

edited May 2014

Great news. :-)

Would we have seen any of your work anywhere?

Post edited by eyesee on
  • homey_jayhomey_jay Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    Great news. :-)

Would we have seen any of your work anywhere?

LOL, hell no!
    I do pre-retail product development and prototyping for companies and it's wrapped up tight in NDAs!
    It's just boxes 'n' cans basically - stuff you see in supermarket shelves!!
    You guys all do the decent, artistic stuff!!

:)