Scenes with non-interactive props/parts

2»

Comments

• Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 393

There's always a tradeoff. If I make a desk product, the drawers will be modelled and open. But if the desk is more 'background' to a larger set, it might not be worth the time. It's not just rigging the drawer - you also need to model and texture the full drawer, including the inside and the rails (maybe even the wheels it rolls on if they'd be visible).

I appreciate your input, Silent Writer. For the scene in question, the desk is half the scene, so definitely not background. Same with the laptop and phone.

I think you're overthinking the drawers. If you want to have dials that open and close the drawers, sure, you'd need to rig it. But keeping it simple works as well. Just make them separate from the desk and users can trans it open and closed. I certainly wouldn't expect rails and wheels.

But if you're doing a story, with a series of renders, I can't have the person sitting at the desk open a drawer and get something out/put something in. Such a thing might be an important part of a story line. Or, the phone rings... Uh oh, can't pick it up. Or there's something on the laptop screen that they don't want others to see. Can't close it.

I understand there's a trade-off from a PA perspective, but a totally un-interactive scene isn't my idea of a good product. Oh, but I have sofa squish morphs! Yay!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

just a scene with props instead of the whole set in one piece with no rigging or morphs is a huge help

the PA's I whine about created them in bits because my obj exports are always in the bits in other softwares

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744
    Steel Rat said:

FirstBastion. Upstream you said "I try to make functional and useful products". Why? If it's not cost effective, why do it?

Yes I do try for useful. As I said I make a design decision. If I was gonna use this product,  what can I logically expect it to do to make renders. SO yes,  doors open,  windows open. That practical expectation makes an item  that is useful. And after doing this for 10 years, it is also cost effective. Usually,  but not always. Leana has made lots of reasonable and valid points on the tradeoff decisions. That is certainly a real concern.  Time investment versus return on investment.  In business it is a legitimate factor in the decision making process.

I hear what you are saying. Products are not nmeeting your expectation of usefulness. I can totally see your point. 

I create environments, scenes that can simply be rendered straight out of the box. I provide lights and cameras, so WYSIWYG, you can render the promos with one click. Design choice. But my sets are also built with  individual component parts that can be broken apart,  with unique material zones that can be re textures. Most my scenes do if it made sense to do so. It is my design decision to allow for kitbashing and reuse in other scenes. I decide to do that because I also make art and render, and I think that level of functionality is useful.

Look, each PA is it's own small business. And they independently make decisions. All I can say is,  search out the useful products. Read the descriptions carefully. Look at the promos very carefully. If you don't see a door opened, Don't expect the door opens. If there is no door at all on a room well...  If the scale and sizing looks off, and there is not even one promo with a human to help determine is the proportion are correct, be hesitant.(a discussion in another forum thread)

Support the PAs that help make rendering a bit more fun.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744

Lets give Maclean a plug in case someone needs grocery props. 

https://www.daz3d.com/everyday-groceries

https://www.daz3d.com/everyday-groceries-2

I wish all the PAs went through half the effort you do, FirstBastion. Thank you for your responses.

And yes, I have almost all of Maclean's Everyday stuff. Invaluable.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,321

Lets give Maclean a plug in case someone needs grocery props. 

https://www.daz3d.com/everyday-groceries

https://www.daz3d.com/everyday-groceries-2

Don't forget drinks where the liquid morphs from full to empty, and tilts when drinking:
    https://www.daz3d.com/everyday-drinks
    I've made over 5000 images for my webcomic, and there's something Maclean-Wonderful in at least half of them.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,693
    Steel Rat said:

There's always a tradeoff. If I make a desk product, the drawers will be modelled and open. But if the desk is more 'background' to a larger set, it might not be worth the time. It's not just rigging the drawer - you also need to model and texture the full drawer, including the inside and the rails (maybe even the wheels it rolls on if they'd be visible).

I appreciate your input, Silent Writer. For the scene in question, the desk is half the scene, so definitely not background. Same with the laptop and phone.

I think you're overthinking the drawers. If you want to have dials that open and close the drawers, sure, you'd need to rig it. But keeping it simple works as well. Just make them separate from the desk and users can trans it open and closed. I certainly wouldn't expect rails and wheels.

But if you're doing a story, with a series of renders, I can't have the person sitting at the desk open a drawer and get something out/put something in. Such a thing might be an important part of a story line. Or, the phone rings... Uh oh, can't pick it up. Or there's something on the laptop screen that they don't want others to see. Can't close it.

I understand there's a trade-off from a PA perspective, but a totally un-interactive scene isn't my idea of a good product. Oh, but I have sofa squish morphs! Yay!

The rigging is a small thing for a drawer, it's mostly the modelling, uv-mapping and texturing - and this might not be the best example for me as I'd almost certainly model the drawer to open anyway since I count that as basic functionality along with the doors. But should the doors have functional locks? what about individual keys depressing on a phone? (as you'd probably not see the difference unless super closeup). Each PA has to make a judgement call on how useful their product is versus time spent/money expected. As FirstBastion says - support the ones that make products you find useful (there's always the 30-day money back guarantee if you buy something that doesn't work as expected).

:)

edited February 2022

But should the doors have functional locks? what about individual keys depressing on a phone?

Those are extremes, IMHO. I've never had the need for things like that, in 18 years of rendering. But I always have the need for a door or drawer to open, or a laptop lid to open/close. If a character can't interact with any part of the scene, what is the point of making such a product?

Post edited by Steel Rat on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

Steel Rat said:

But should the doors have functional locks? what about individual keys depressing on a phone?

Those are extremes, IMHO. I've never had the need for things like that, in 18 years of rendering. But I always have the need for a door or drawer to open, or a laptop lid to open/close. If a character can't interact with any part of the scene, what is the point of making such a product?

Lots of points since not everyone doing rendering has the same needs. I can honestly say I have never looked for opening drawers or laptops that open as part of any project. Have needed opening doors on occasion and if the room I am using doesn't have it, I improvise and use another room or fix it in a modeling app which I view as an essential tool for 3D work, just like an image editor.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Lots of points since not everyone doing rendering has the same needs. I can honestly say I have never looked for opening drawers or laptops that open as part of any project. Have needed opening doors on occasion and if the room I am using doesn't have it, I improvise and use another room or fix it in a modeling app which I view as an essential tool for 3D work, just like an image editor.

To me there's a drastic difference between changing a texture to meet my needs, and having to change geometry in a modeling app. I guess some of us are more discerning than others.

• cridgit said:

I think its up to every PA to decide how much time/effort they put into each product. The problem we're discussing here is not about that. It's about the product descriptions in the store being unhelpful. We've all seen a general decline in quality over the years: consistent, thoroughly reviewed product descriptions would go a long way to preventing buyer spending money on something that doesn't work as they expected. That is the real problem here.

This. And allowing verified purchasers to leave reviews.