Skin Builder 8 for Genesis 8 Male

2»

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721
    Gordig said:

Also, people who insist that something will be a huge seller, that there's a lot of demand for something, or that something would be easy to make, pretty consistently don't know what they're talking about and aren't basing those statements on facts or experience.

So true! My fav is when something doesn't work on "their" PC and version of DS, so it must be broken, no matter that the 1000's of other users don't have the same issue, LOL

• lana_lasslana_lass Posts: 520
    Gordig said:

Also, people who insist that something will be a huge seller, that there's a lot of demand for something, or that something would be easy to make, pretty consistently don't know what they're talking about and aren't basing those statements on facts or experience.

LOL true and if they really believed what they were saying (there's huge demand and it's easy) it would beg the question why they weren't just making it themselves and cashing in wink

That's not aimed at anyone in this thread btw heart But, yeah, Zev is a pretty savvy vendor and usually makes male and female versions of products... so I think if it was really easy and financially sound to make Skin Builder 8 for G8M he would be, as we say in Scotland, on it like a car bonnet.  The fact he isn't suggests to me that it would be taxing and/or not a moneymaker, as much as I hate to say that because I'd looooooove Skin Builder for G8M. 

• Gordig said:

Exactly! That's why we have a forum called "Product Suggestions"  - because it would be stupid and outrageously arrogant if customers made suggestions - right?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387
    edited July 2020
    Gordig said:

Exactly! That's why we have a forum called "Product Suggestions"  - because it would be stupid and outrageously arrogant if customers made suggestions - right?

There's a difference between suggesting a product you might be interested in, and people who basically post things like "I'm sure this would be so easy to make and that there's a huge demand for it, and if you say the contrary you're just stupid and don't want to make money".

Post edited by Leana on
  • lana_lasslana_lass Posts: 520
    edited July 2020

+1 @Leana.

There's nothing wrong with making suggestions or speaking ones mind heart But when comments edge on suggesting vendors aren't "true" artists if they create in line with what their patrons will and will not pay for, that's a bit much...

And the discussion has gone rather in circles too... In the arguments "for" this product, it has been stated both that Zev0 should make this product because there's such huge customer demand for it, but also that he should make it because he shouldn't listen to customer demand as evidenced by actual sales figures or he's sacrificing his artistry... so those things don't quite hang together! 

What is very clear is that we all clearly love Zev0's work smiley And will welcome whatever he brings to the Daz store, for whatever his personal reasons are for the products he chooses and doesn't choose to make! Every PA, like every artist, creates with a balance of creative and financial factors influencing their end result. 

And while you perhaps couldn't call it "Skin Builder", if somebody here really felt strongly that this would be a high selling and worthwhile product to make... well, go for it! If it's well made, I can guarentee you at least one buyer haha laugh

P.S: @andreretogasser you've stated repeatedly in this thread that the conversation had evolved beyond what you had anticipated and you've (IMO) been very reasonable and positive in tone throughout, so don't take any of these points as direct reply to you or criticismheart I think we are all replying to the topic as it has evolved; not to specific users.

Post edited by lana_lass on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Zev0 doesn't have to be the only person making a skin builder. If it were profitable enough others would do so, so I guess up to now it hasn't been that greatly profitable. If it were easy enough, absent a great profit motive or great personal want, others would have done so already. Regardless of the past, it will get easier to do that as that's the nature of this new market commoditizing (that's an unexpected tongue twister!) 3D assets for the general public that are using those 3D assets as part of their hobbies.

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495
    Leana said:

Frankly, the demand for Skin Builder is insane

Where did you get that from exactly?  Because a few posts from time to time in forums where only a tiny fraction of the customer base post is very far from "insane demand", no matter how vocal those few posters are.

For one, I think you could count on every content maker on all the major content sites to pick it up, and the fact its regurally asked means there's a regular interest. The G3 version made enough that Zer0 completely redid all the maps for the G8 version. A single version of male for G3/G8, and probably G9 when it finally comes out would likely generate longterm sales but... hey, whatever. Frankly I'm tempted to experiment with converting it to G8M myself. Some elements won't port, but on the whole there's a lot you can do with the texture transfer tool.

• Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to use the Genesis 8 UV Swap and the Map Transfer tool to convert a male skin to female and then use the Skin Builder?  Or use Skin Builder on Genesis 8 Female and then swap it over to male?  Is there too much difference in the look of the skins (as opposed to the UVs) to make this possilbe?

I don't have Skin Builder, so I'm asking from a place of ignorance.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,378
    Windamyre said:

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to use the Genesis 8 UV Swap and the Map Transfer tool to convert a male skin to female and then use the Skin Builder?  Or use Skin Builder on Genesis 8 Female and then swap it over to male?  Is there too much difference in the look of the skins (as opposed to the UVs) to make this possilbe?

Yes,  that is currently the only way to use it on G8M.

• denisnormandindenisnormandin Posts: 154
    edited November 2020
    nemesis10 said:
    Windamyre said:

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to use the Genesis 8 UV Swap and the Map Transfer tool to convert a male skin to female and then use the Skin Builder?  Or use Skin Builder on Genesis 8 Female and then swap it over to male?  Is there too much difference in the look of the skins (as opposed to the UVs) to make this possilbe?

Yes,  that is currently the only way to use it on G8M.

Could someone elaborate on that?

It would certainly be an acceptable compromise for me. In this world of gender neutrality we are now living in, I was trying to make a model that could not be easily identified as male or female. Going from a female character and morphing it into a more masculine figure is an option, except I can't make the breasts small enough in a realistic way. (I know, big breasts sell better, so...) I could not find a model to start with small enough breasts that wouldn't require extreme morphing. And extreme morphing don't yield natural looking results. So I tried to use the G8M model and morph it to more  be feminin. It's not as easy as the other way around, but it works, except for the skin... there is body hair and facial hair that I can't get rid of. I tried to use the G8F skin on the G8M figure, but obviously, it doesn't fit.

So if that swaping and transfering method could work... problem solved! At least, for my project. But being a biginner here, I don't really understant what it means or how to do it.

Post edited by denisnormandin on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

This product allows you to use G8F textures on G8M, and vice-versa, by providing alternate UVs for each figure.

So if you have it you can use skin builder to create a texture for G8F then apply the result to G8M using G8F UVs.

Another thing you can do if you have that product is to use Map Transfer feature in DS to convert textures made for G8M into textures made for G8F, and vice-versa. So if you want to add features to a G8M texture using Skin Builder you could use Map Transfer to convert is to a G8F texture, apply it on G8F, then use Skin Builder to modify it. Then you can apply the result to G8M using G8F UVs.

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 911

The Genesis 8 UV Swap product has special UV sets that allow you to use G8F skins on G8M and vice versa. It's very handy, and would definitely solve your problem of the female skin not fitting the male figure properly, denisnormandin. Also, if you ever try again to make an androgynous character on G8F and your main difficulty is getting the chest area flatter, you might want to check out either Growing Up for Genesis 8 Female, Breast Utilities for Genesis 8 Female, or even the Transgender Shapes product. They all have morphs that would help with that. There's also a free set of morph dials called Transgender Genesis 8 by AgentUnawares on DeviantArt, which are morphs that affect the entire body as a whole, rather than certain areas.

• Thanks a bundle Leana and Quixotry.

I don't have the Genesis 8 UV Swap or the other utilities you suggested and I guess that not having the right wording to search for them was the reason I couldn't find them (the DAZ site should really improve the search engine on the stores and forums, I always get better results using google than searching on the site itself).

So I'll check on those, but I'm sure it is a big step forward.

Thanks again. 

• Undoubtedly skin details contribute a major part to the originality of Genesis 8 Females - as make up does for the final look of it. Both has to be put in question for Genesis 8 Males. And concerning skin details, for Males other details may be in demand (for example scars). Nevertheless things are changing - so in real live young men make first experience with make up and the upcoming "rainbow movement" will also contribute to a particular convergence of the demand for Genesis Females and Males. The question to me seems the right point in time for a new conception building a joint base for Genesis Femals and Males, where common base functionaity could smart be designed giving different looks for Genesis Females and Males acoording to respective demand. So imo there may be quite a future for "Skin Bulider for Genesis ... Males", but this may take some time according to the changes in real life.

• PhilHippo_3896141 said:

Undoubtedly skin details contribute a major part to the originality of Genesis 8 Females - as make up does for the final look of it. Both has to be put in question for Genesis 8 Males. And concerning skin details, for Males other details may be in demand (for example scars). Nevertheless things are changing - so in real live young men make first experience with make up and the upcoming "rainbow movement" will also contribute to a particular convergence of the demand for Genesis Females and Males. The question to me seems the right point in time for a new conception building a joint base for Genesis Femals and Males, where common base functionaity could smart be designed giving different looks for Genesis Females and Males acoording to respective demand. So imo there may be quite a future for "Skin Bulider for Genesis ... Males", but this may take some time according to the changes in real life.

I like how this comment effectively predicted Genesis 9. Time will tell if having a single character for all genders will alleviate some of this pain. It may for skin details for sure.