August 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Open Render Challenge

Comments

• katywhitekatywhite Posts: 414
    katywhite said:

Title: Trusted Allies

Caption: His best friend and his right hand, the only two he truly trusts.

Software: Daz 3d studio, Photoshop (only to patch the noise - all effects done in Daz 3d)

I guess I'm in the beginner challenge? First time trying this. =)

P.S. Is it okay my image is a .png not .jpg or do you need it as a .jpg?

A png is fine though if you want to add larger sizes, generally a jpg is best (for posting) since there are some caps on the MB size you can post in the forums/galleries. But it can take either. 

On the image, I note there is a guy (I believe) in the background there (standing) He is sort of hard to make out and see. It may be worth adding a backlight to him to outline his shape or adding a touch of very sort light just to make him a touch more visible while still keeping him in the shadows smiley

Oh! I didn't realize that they came in at different sizes. Thanks for the tip!

As for the lighting I'll take a look and see what lighting I can add to bring him out a bit more. :)

• skinklizzardskinklizzard Posts: 218
    edited August 2020

Update 1:

changed the lighting somewhat, shifted the camera a bit, changed the ground in the tunnels and finally gave her a bit of a "wtf is that" expression.

some other variations I want to try with her pose and maybe some ceiling crack moon beams.

Inquisitor_whip_august_challenge.png
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by skinklizzard on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 703
    edited August 2020

First time trying this, so beginner, I guess. Suggestions are definitely appreciated.

Title: The Guardian

Daz3D rendered, only postwork was spot rendering the box to fix a glitch.

Guardian1.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited August 2020

Update 1:

changed the lighting somewhat, shifted the camera a bit, changed the ground in the tunnels and finally gave her a bit of a "wtf is that" expression.

some other variations I want to try with her pose and maybe some ceiling crack moon beams.

I think that your render has quite some good elements. This new one, however, seems to have changed the mood of the image considerably. Before you had a low key image which was very moody and captivating. 

I'm glad you removed the light on the hair and that you fixed the light on the hand, but I want you to take a look at a few low key images on the internet and see if that's the mood you want to go for, or if you want to go for something else. 

I wish you all the best.

Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
    edited August 2020

First time trying this, so beginner, I guess. Suggestions are definitely appreciated.

I like it, seems like a powerful and meaningful image. The only possible notes I would like to make are about (and this is just my opinion, by the way):

• Framing: You seem to have cut the frame a bit too close to the standing warrior. Also, if you want to "cut" out a body part of the frame, try to go for the middle of that part (for example, instead of cutting so close to the knee, try cutting at the middle of the calves, or at the middle of the thighs, etc).
    • Background Image: It seems to be a bit dark. And the sun's light at those illuminations tends to be red-orange (which I don't think it would work great with the box's light, but maybe I am wrong). Just something to consider.

That's all I can think for now. :)

• skinklizzardskinklizzard Posts: 218
    edited August 2020

Thanks for the advice, valid points on the tone change, what I want to go for is sort of a tense ominous dungeon delve in the dark, so yea low key lighting is probably what I want

I started using canvases and experimenting to see what I could do with them and adjusting lighting in post. I also noticed her feet weren't on the floor, at some point the tunnel floor got shifted down below the 0 y point.

so here is what I'm at so far while I go back to try some of the other suggestions from DAZ_ann0314

Dungeon Delve.png
    1600 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by skinklizzard on
  • Hello, my first ever render.
    Unfortunatelley I do not have a lot of assets or understanding :) but I am keen to learn. 
    I was trying to light the character.
    Thank you. 

edited August 2020

Hello, my first ever render.
    Unfortunatelley I do not have a lot of assets or understanding :) but I am keen to learn. 
    Thank you. 

Great job for your first render.

My only remark would be that it would be interesting to see a facial expression on the character, something that represents her personality. 

Also, the eyes seem to be looking a bit "towards each other", so my first thought would be...did you make them "point at" a point (camera, null, anything really)? In that case you would get that effect. 

• Version F here, adding a coworker of mine who plays fallout as well. Giving the equipment that he's using, I thing that he's been here longer then my other friend and myself.

augudt2020f.png
    1422 x 800 - 2M
  • First time trying this, so beginner, I guess. Suggestions are definitely appreciated.

I like it, seems like a powerful and meaningful image. The only possible notes I would like to make are about (and this is just my opinion, by the way):

• Framing: You seem to have cut the frame a bit too close to the standing warrior. Also, if you want to "cut" out a body part of the frame, try to go for the middle of that part (for example, instead of cutting so close to the knee, try cutting at the middle of the calves, or at the middle of the thighs, etc).
    • Background Image: It seems to be a bit dark. And the sun's light at those illuminations tends to be red-orange (which I don't think it would work great with the box's light, but maybe I am wrong). Just something to consider.

That's all I can think for now. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to play around a bit more with the lighting and camera angles, see what comes out. :)

• SpiritOfMoonSpiritOfMoon Posts: 3
    edited August 2020

Hello, my first ever render.
    Thank you. 

My only remark would be that it would be interesting to see a facial expression on the character, something that represents her personality. 

Also, the eyes seem to be looking a bit "towards each other", so my first thought would be...did you make them "point at" a point (camera, null, anything really)? In that case you would get that effect. 

Hi, now when I look at it I can see what you mean. Attention to detail is the key :D  I am still experimenting with it.
    I am wondering what is the lighting practice in 3D manually setting up sources like I did or using presets (enviroment light?)

Thanks

Thanks

Post edited by SpiritOfMoon on

Hi, now when I look at it I can see what you mean. Attention to detail is the key :D  I am still experimenting with it.
    I am wondering what is the lighting practice in 3D manually setting up sources like I did or using presets (enviroment light?)

Thanks

For lights I would say "do what works best for your scene". However, having some environmental light coming from the right direction helps. Especially if it's an HDRI (they tend to be of really high quality, like 8k, or even 16k). 

That doesn't mean that you should use HDRI's exclusively, you should add lights to suit the scene, as needed.

• bastian2560bastian2560 Posts: 81
    edited August 2020

MR.Wall Intermediate

MR.Wall.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by bastian2560 on
    edited August 2020

hi all. i dont know whats going on but having lots of truble loading images. Intermediate

• sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited August 2020

Girl on a swing version 2 - Beginner Challenge

I have now converted all textures to work with 3 Delight.  Please can I have some constructive feedback.

Post edited by sueya on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 703
    edited August 2020

Trying a slightly different camera angle and a slightly purplier early morning light. Recommendations?

Guardian Redone.png
    2000 x 2357 - 7M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited August 2020

"Aiko Under Fire"

Daz Studio 4.12

Intermediate

Criticize away.

aiko_under_fire_scaled.png
    1000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by margrave on
  • Hello, my first ever render.
    Thank you. 

How do you make the eyes point at camera? Thanks!

• Here is another submission. This one is of my favorite Disney princess and her royal pet tiger. Intermediate? Beginner? I'm not sure.

Comments welcome.

the_princess_and_the_tiger.jpg
    1280 x 1087 - 159K
  • sueya said:

I have now converted all textures to work with 3 Delight.  Please can I have some constructive feedback.

I like what you've got here, perhaps have her look at the camera though as if she were posing for a photograph, completely up to you on that.

I noticed there is a shadow from her but there doesn't appear to be one from the tree or swing

its something that could be done in post too but maybe try up the contrast a bit, it's a bright sunny day but the colours and shadows feel a little washed out.

not sure how many lights you have in scene but you'd probably want to try mimic natural light for an outdoors scene and use a single sun/distant light, otherwise try to get the shadows to all point in the same direction more or less. Although looking at it again you probably already did this and I'm just getting confused by some objects not having shadows.

edited August 2020

Hi. Someone asked about making the eye of there figer look directly at the camera. 1,go to your scene tab. 2,find your figer and click down the arrows to the right eye. 3,highlight the right eye by clicking on it. 4, goto your Parameters tab and find (Misc) and click on it. 5,once you have clicked on Misc you will see (Point At) click on (none) and a window will open, click on camera than Accept. the right eye will then aline to point at the camera. 6, do the same for the left eye.

Hope that helps.

@sueya: it looks really good. I to think a bit more shadow from the tree follage would help, maybe add some more leaves to the tree.

• Alias52Alias52 Posts: 284

Eleniel Strikes 

The only thing that worked in her favour was that the tracker orc had followed her scent into the stream and was looking the way she wanted. How long would that remain so? Eleniel knew she had to act now - before the others got too close or this one found her scent again. She tensed, saying a silent prayer to the spirits of her elven kin. Glancing up, Eleniel shrugged – what harm could it do? She ran a hand across the foot of the statue and whispered, “Grant me thy aid, warrior, for I have need of your strength today.” With that, she struck. Launching herself from cover, her blade lanced out and took the tracker underneath the ear, killing him almost instantly. Looking quickly, she realised the others were too close for her to evade.  Reaching down, she took her dagger from her boot. Straightening, she walked towards her foe. “I’m going to get so grounded for this.” She muttered. 

Next stage in the Tale of Eleniel Firehair. Hopefully sorted posing positions this time. Could also be called Eleniel Gets Stabby Part 1 (Hopefully not too violent!)

Eleniel Strikes F.png
    1000 x 800 - 2M
  • TirickTirick Posts: 228
    edited August 2020

Intermediate Challenge. "Getting ready".

I've been a member for a long time, although I drifted away for 7-8 years. I'm not new to 3d modeling, although I've never really focused on the rendering aspect so lighting and camera work is a whole new world to me. I have to say I love how Iray and PBS surfaces work. I am terrible at UV mapping and texturing, and this is a game changer for building props. I'd arguably be considered a beginner but don't honestly feel that is where my skills are at.

This was a minor adjustment to a Gallery version I posted last week, as I wasn't happy with the top I'd chosen. The set is simple, the background is an HDRI image from HDRI Haven. Ideally I would use model backdrop, but my current assets don't permit the look I wanted. I really wanted this scene to highlight the rigging I built for the Shadow Dancer gunbelt. That took a considerable amount of effort to get working the way I wanted (and I think it still is off a bit, but it works). The pose looks a little awkward, but partly that is the shot angle. The desk and liquor bottle I made in Blender and have Iray materials applied. The desk has a bit of a UV issue but that is conveniently concealed by the focal distance. I am particularly happy with how the bottle worked, as it came out nearly exactly as I had envisioned. Most of my modeling has historically been focused on conversion to paper models, so physically modeling with detailed surface features is a bit new to me. The pants and boots are from Wilmap's collection, although they were originally intended for G3M. I applied Iray materials to them. 

Getting Ready

I'm more than happy for some constructive feedback. The material on the cabinet did not work well. This was a furniture piece from Wilmap's collection with an Iray metal surface. I think it just needs tweaking. 

GettngReady.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Tirick on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,817

Very nice job so far everyone. Really loving all the images I've seen thus far heart

katywhite said:
    katywhite said:

Title: Trusted Allies

Caption: His best friend and his right hand, the only two he truly trusts.

Software: Daz 3d studio, Photoshop (only to patch the noise - all effects done in Daz 3d)

I guess I'm in the beginner challenge? First time trying this. =)

P.S. Is it okay my image is a .png not .jpg or do you need it as a .jpg?

A png is fine though if you want to add larger sizes, generally a jpg is best (for posting) since there are some caps on the MB size you can post in the forums/galleries. But it can take either. 

On the image, I note there is a guy (I believe) in the background there (standing) He is sort of hard to make out and see. It may be worth adding a backlight to him to outline his shape or adding a touch of very sort light just to make him a touch more visible while still keeping him in the shadows smiley

Oh! I didn't realize that they came in at different sizes. Thanks for the tip!

As for the lighting I'll take a look and see what lighting I can add to bring him out a bit more. :)

Just to clarify what I meant by size. When you save a .png the file size (so 24mb get) of the image tends to be larger with PNG images. JPGs tend to be smaller files (generally under 2MB) which means they will load faster. That said, they also tend to be a bit more compressed but generally the difference is barely noticeable except in certain circumstances. So generally people go for a JPG image since it will load faster in the forums etc and look generally as good as the PNG. Now if you ware wanting to print the image etc then PNG may be better (or if what you are saving is a texture on a model etc) since you want as much of the details there as possible. Generally speaking though, a jpg saved with little compression is generally still far smaller in file size than the same image as a PNG. 

edited August 2020

Very nicely done smiley I actually like both versions.

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
    sueya said:

Its a very pretty image. The one bit of feedback I would give is to maybe play with the angle of the lighting. When you move where the light is coming from you will get the shadows from all the folliage looking different from angle to angle. It seems a bit bright so moving the angle and maybe making it a touch less bright should give you some very nice effects and shadow cast that will give the image more depth. You could also play with depth of field possibly to blur the folliage behind her a bit. Very nice so far though smiley

margrave said:

"Aiko Under Fire"

Daz Studio 4.12

Intermediate

Criticize away.

I like the contrast to the colors and the light and shadow. I do wonder what a light in a complimentary color may look like (like a bright orangish light perhaps) on her. Over all though I really like it. Love the expression   especially :)  

Here is another submission. This one is of my favorite Disney princess and her royal pet tiger. Intermediate? Beginner? I'm not sure.

Comments welcome.

Very nice. I like the perspective on it. The only feedback I would give is maybe seeing if you can tone down the gloss on her skin (though that has more to do with the settings on the character itself generally) Don't think its a big deal though. Its a very nice render either way. 

Alias52 said:

Eleniel Strikes 

The only thing that worked in her favour was that the tracker orc had followed her scent into the stream and was looking the way she wanted. How long would that remain so? Eleniel knew she had to act now - before the others got too close or this one found her scent again. She tensed, saying a silent prayer to the spirits of her elven kin. Glancing up, Eleniel shrugged – what harm could it do? She ran a hand across the foot of the statue and whispered, “Grant me thy aid, warrior, for I have need of your strength today.” With that, she struck. Launching herself from cover, her blade lanced out and took the tracker underneath the ear, killing him almost instantly. Looking quickly, she realised the others were too close for her to evade.  Reaching down, she took her dagger from her boot. Straightening, she walked towards her foe. “I’m going to get so grounded for this.” She muttered. 

Next stage in the Tale of Eleniel Firehair. Hopefully sorted posing positions this time. Could also be called Eleniel Gets Stabby Part 1 (Hopefully not too violent!)

Very fun render..really love the posing and scene setup on this. I like the lighting as well. I would maybe play (if you can) with the color of the blood to make it maybe a bit darker red (not tons just a bit) but it may be as you envisioned intended (I cannot say for sure I have seen a real orcs blood hehe) Either way nice job smiley