August 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Open Render Challenge

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited August 2020
    Tirick said:

The brightness on my main PC's monitor was a bit too high, so I've adjusted it against another monitor. Hopefully this will help make my images less dark overall. I've made some adjustments to the lighting position, and levels. Overall light levels are not as stark across the image. I also let this render longer over night, and once more applied a post render denoiser. Most of the noise was in the reflection and didn't look too bad but it only takes a few seconds to apply so well worth the extra step. The inline denoiser did not produce results I was happy with. I did make a minor change to her undershirt. The whites washed out with the new lighting angle so shifted to a grey. 

Looks good. Just one thing stood out to me: are there two panes of glass in that window? Because it looks like the reflected person has two arms on one side of their body.

You might want to delete one of them.

Post edited by margrave on
  • TirickTirick Posts: 228
    edited August 2020

margrave said:

Looks good. Just one thing stood out to me: are there two panes of glass in that window? Because it looks like the reflected person has two arms on one side of their body.

You might want to delete one of them.

Yeah, I had thought of that. As far as I could tell that section is an enclosed block with a glass material. I could mess around with the mesh and delete the one, but at the risk of messing things up. I'm fine with the figure being indistinct, it was partly the intent (and why I didn't use more light or reflection).

Post edited by Tirick on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 703
    edited August 2020

Trying something a little whimsical for my entry #2; couple of characters from a story I'm working on. Feedback welcome.

Title: Hatchling Hello

Beginner

Software: Daz3D, photoshop for noise clean up

Baby Dragons.png
    2000 x 2400 - 8M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • ekke2020ekke2020 Posts: 60
    edited August 2020

Title: Desire

Intermediate challenge

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/43/0dc43cbdcd279afd94efac6cdb46cb.jpg

WSW.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 370K
    Post edited by ekke2020 on
  • bookaholic121bookaholic121 Posts: 23
    edited August 2020

In Your Arms

Created with Daz Studio and Photoshop for a little postwork.

I am very new to both programs so any advice would be helpful :)

inyourarms1.jpg
    1600 x 2560 - 974K
    Post edited by bookaholic121 on
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 414
    edited August 2020

Second and last entry:

Title: Staged Beauty

Software: Daz 3d studio, Photoshop (only to patch the noise - all effects done in Daz 3d)

Beginner Challenge

Feedback welcome - will upload to my gallery when all feedback encorporated. :D

Staged Beauty_edited.png
    2000 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • jecswpjecswp Posts: 24
    edited August 2020

Hello, all

This is my first entry into this month's Beginner Challenge.  I hope you like it and look forward to any tips and suggestions you may have.

Title: On the Hunt

Software: DAZ Studio 4.12 w/ Iray

Kainulainen Willow Creek Fog.png
    1334 x 2160 - 3M
    Post edited by jecswp on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796
    jecswp said:

Hello, all

This is my first entry into this month's Beginner Challenge.  I hope you like it and look forward to any tips and suggestions you may have.

Title: On the Hunt

Software: DAZ Studio 4.12 w/ Iray

Very nice start! I like that the character has a personality and the work with the fog is very atmospheric. I would advise to give the head/face of your character a bit more light, (maybe use a spot light or an emissive plane out of camara range to light him up a bit like one little sunray coming through the fog, Gives the images a bit more contrast as well.

• SmoerebroetSmoerebroet Posts: 31
    edited August 2020

Hello,

this month i'm back. Here is my entry. I think beginner is ok. I can't see a difference to intermediate.

I call it Zomb'n Lick
    Well thats it.
    - Ultimate Zombie G3F with some tweeks in the surface
    - G8F a Mousso with some AFE,  Mable HD and Hala Head Veins
    - GodRay (i love it, and every time i use it, its different)
    - a IGLK light too
    - P8 from Turbosquid

Zomb-n-Lick-05.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Smoerebroet on
  • bookaholic121bookaholic121 Posts: 23
    edited August 2020

Second Entry for the beginner challenge. I'm new to both programs so advice is appreciated :)

Title: 020

Made with Daz Studio, postwork with Photoshop

020.jpg
    1600 x 2560 - 2M
    Post edited by bookaholic121 on
  • EaldwulfEaldwulf Posts: 18
    edited August 2020

Honestly, I'm not sure if I would fit into the Beginner challenge,or the Intermediate challenge.  I have never participated in this challenge before so I would classify as a Beginner in that regard, but I've been using DAZ Studio and Poser since I was introduced to Poser back in 2002 I think it was?  Although I mostly do things for my own enjoyment and to create portraits (and wallpapers) for TTRPG characters for myself and my friends...  So I'll let the mods make the call on that.  :)

I was using a working title of Wierd West for this, but I never actually used anything that would be wierd, so more just The Old West.  Products used were DAZ Studio, Holt 8, Honni 8, Sedor's Iray Skies, Stonemason's The Streets of the Old West, and Gimp for minor postwork:

The Old West

The Old West.jpg
    960 x 540 - 483K
    Post edited by Ealdwulf on
  • jecswpjecswp Posts: 24
    edited August 2020

Linwelly said:

Very nice start! I like that the character has a personality and the work with the fog is very atmospheric. I would advise to give the head/face of your character a bit more light, (maybe use a spot light or an emissive plane out of camara range to light him up a bit like one little sunray coming through the fog, Gives the images a bit more contrast as well.

@Linwelly - Thank you for your advice.  I gave it a shot and I really like how it turned out. So here's v2.

Kainulainen Sun HD.png
    667 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by jecswp on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    edited August 2020

Phew! I almost didn't make it in time.smiley

Title: Thought I couldn't hear you over the thunderstorm, little bugger?

Beginner challenge

Software used: Daz Studio 4.12 (no postwork)

Gallery link with a list of products used: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/1073206

Thunderstorm Mouse.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 616K
    Post edited by watchdog79 on
  • AZDigitalArtistAZDigitalArtist Posts: 773
    edited August 2020

"Roar" - Internediate Contest.   I just love AM's Smilodon!!!

AZDigitalArtist-Roar.jpg
    1920 x 2304 - 3M
    Post edited by AZDigitalArtist on
  • Beginner Challenge

Title: Accident

Software: Daz Studio 4.12 w/Iray

First entry ever so hopefully this is the right way to do it!

submission.jpg
    874 x 658 - 193K
  • skinklizzardskinklizzard Posts: 218
    edited August 2020

I got distracted with other projects, so only really got back to this now

I played around with the lighting and contrast using canvases for each light in the scene.

Intermediate Challenge

Dungeon Delve:

Daz studio 4.12
    Photoshop for post compositing of canvases

also additionally tried a black and white version:

So these will likely be my final entries.

dungeonDelve5.png
    1600 x 1600 - 940K
    dungeonDelve4_BW.png
    1600 x 1600 - 309K
    Post edited by skinklizzard on
  • Title:  Come on in, the Water's fine...

Software: DAZ Studio 4.12 w/Iray 

Postprocessing: Adobe Photoshop (Noise reduction, minor levels adjustment, some vignetting coz 'why not'

First Entry.  I've been usingDAZ studio for two months.  The subject is my favorite blue tiefling character.

Products used: CJ 8 & Victoria 8, World Gardens for Japan, Skin Builder 8, Universal Horns for Genesis 8, dForce Jay Hair

Things I learned: Cameras and DOF, custom skin!, mesh lighting, geoshells with opacity/bump maps (Thanks to thinkdrawart for his excellent tutorial)

Jester submission 5c.jpg
    500 x 809 - 181K
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826

Reposting the final version of my image.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited August 2020

I have a big question, How do I switch on the mirror in this render?

Everything else turned out great like the glass and the windows but the mirror is always turning out black!

Done in 3Delight and using AoA Lighting

Mirror Needs Fixing.png
    1000 x 618 - 873K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited September 2020

Sorry for the last minute entry, but I wanted to make a proper entry #2, and since something came to mind, and it turned out pretty interesting (or at least I hope so!), here it is:

ENTRY #2 INTERMEDIATE: Allure

Adriana (White) cm.jpg
    1186 x 948 - 1M
    Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

This challenge is now closed.

Thanks to everyone for participating!

• so who won?

so who won?

It takes a few days. Maybe a week.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796

I have a big question, How do I switch on the mirror in this render?

Everything else turned out great like the glass and the windows but the mirror is always turning out black!

Done in 3Delight and using AoA Lighting

@Saphirewild for reflections to be shown properly in the render, in  the render settings "sampling" the Max Ray trace depth needs to be at least 1 I usually have it at 4, plus of couse it needs something to reflect. I have that room and the wall oposite of the mirror is rather bland.

btw here is something I made about mirrors in 3DL back in the day: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/969541/#Comment_969541

• Generally we have till the 10th to announce the winners. Generally though we get it up before then but in this specific case it will probably be closer to the 10th smiley (most of the time we tend to post the winners somewhere between the 5th and 10th)  smiley

• August 2020

Showcased Participants for the August Beginners "Open Render" Challenge

jecswp

Alias52

aprilshowers2065

Showcased Participants for the August Intermediate "Open Render" Challenge

skinklizzard

HenryHo

Ealdwulf

New User Welcome

Tirick

• Congratulations to the Showcased Artists as well as to all who participated. Everyone did a really amazing job and all the artwork was wonderful! heart

Congratulations to the showcased for the achievement, to the others for courage, and to everyone for amazing artworks.yes

• TirickTirick Posts: 228

Oh, awesome, thank you! Congrats to everyone, there were so many fantastic renders in this contest!

• Thank you so much! Congrats everyone, the renders here were fantastic!