MelanieL - thank you.

Drachenlords - thank you

Spuddy - thanks for the suggestion.

• Rieke77Rieke77 Posts: 618

@ MelanieL 

@ drachenlords 

Thank you so much for your kind comments. heart

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,757

Horo, thanks. I used the instancing (random) to put the sheep in place, It did not take to long, accept to put their feet on the ground.

Rieke77, mermaid010, MelanieL, Yellow Pen, Drachenlords, adbc, thanks.

Spuddy: thanks. I don’t think the scaling is way off, due to the instanced sheep. When they are further away, they should keep their size (though I did choose scaling 95-105%). In the beginning, I also thought there was an issue with the scale. But the issue is that the eye wants to see mountains, while those humps are actually only hills that are not so very large. As you can see, the hill is not very high compared to the tree.

Perhaps the high level of haze leads to this perception.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,130

Hansmar - I also first thought there's a problem with scale but when I opened the big picture and noticed the shadow from the tree, I saw that everything is quite right.

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918
    edited September 2020

here's my third entry:

Grandpa's break Place.

Grandpa's Break Place.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 867K
    Post edited by Chohole on

Yellow Pen - another very nicely done scene.

• spuddyspuddy Posts: 449

Hansmar...Hi.... I fully  respect your point of view it's your picture. but for me because  the sky slab has a strong perspective on it and the topography of the hills and stream also mirror it; add  that to the strong  atmospheric perspective ,for me  it sets the far hills right of centre quite some way in the distance but the sheep on them are more or less the same size as the one on the top of the hill with the tree on it.and that  for me personally t doesn't make the image  read well

yellow pen lovely scene

Yellow Pen, Wonderful scene.

Spuddy, Horo, I see what you mean, Spuddy. I had the same feeling af first. I guess I need to do somtehing about the perspective. As Horo says, in principle it is alright as far as tree and sheep and hillsize are concerned. But the sky and haze do not fit. I'll give it another go. I hope I can make it before the end of the contest.

@ Yellow Pen - this is a very beautiful and cozy scene.

edited September 2020

Hansmar...simpler to remove the offending sheep ? if you take away the large sheep that pop up over the top of the left hill the one halfway down  between the left hill and the back terrain and the ones on the back terrain IE any sheep that aren't on the big left hill.. it will work as it is.......quickest and easiest way is to just clone them out post production you could remove the two black dashes on the side of the hill at the same time

Post edited by spuddy on
  • Horo, Spuddy, Hansmar, Rieke:

Thank you all for the nice comments.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,003
    edited September 2020

Yellow Pen - lovely scene

A re-render of my earlier entry, this is only entry. Thanks Spuddy for the suggestion.

The Barn

barn7b.jpg
    1280 x 500 - 63K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

mermaid - yes, it's better without the horses on the far hill.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,103
    edited September 2020

Yellow Pen : wonderful image.

mermaid : I agree with Horo.

My third entry : a path in the country.

path.jpg
    800 x 604 - 125K
    Post edited by adbc on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited September 2020

Hi, I'm in!

Title: Susukigahara

Freebies used:
    Oryza sativa (rice) by Halrunman, japanese gates "Torii" by Larolei Low Poly, garden hoe by Dan Dorland, assorted baskets by BrainGuy63.

This might be one of my first landscape scenes with instanced vegetation. For terrain zones i used duplications: first terrain is filtered to be a zone for instancing plants, second terrain fills the gaps left by first one and third one places water parts for rice plantation. Thanks Slepalex and Dave Savage for "filtering brackets" tip. Humans i posed in DAZ Studio (gladly you don't see their hands and fingers close. joking!), and HDRi comes from Horo's products.

Do you like better sunset or daylight version? I've yet to choose which one will be NAE.

susukigahara 09 b.png
    1290 x 860 - 2M
    susukigahara 09 c.png
    1290 x 860 - 2M
    Post edited by akmerlow on

Thanks Horo and Adbc

Adbc - beautiful render, very nicely done

Akmerlow - both versions are very nice but i prefer the sunset one.

adbc - beautiful path in the country that leads to the farm.

akmerlow - very nicely done, both. Difficult to decide which one is better, both have their own charm.

• Mermaid: Thank you. And, I agree with Horo, for your re-render.

adbc: Nice entry, yes. I love the Sky and the light.

akmerlow: I agree with Horo. Both are nice.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986
    edited September 2020

Mermaid: Thank you. And, I agree with Horo, for your re-render.

adbc: Nice entry, yes. I love the Sky and the light.

akmerlow: I agree with Horo. Both are nice.

_  + 1  yep ,  also  agree  ~

Post edited by ed3D on

Thanks Yellow Pen and Ed3D

mermaid, Horo, Yellow Pen, ed3D : thank you.

akmerlow : Yes, difficult to decide between your 2 renders, both are great.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986

Mermaid:  adbc:      ~  You're welcome  ~

edited September 2020

Mermaid010: Yes better now.

adbc: That is a very nice render, great mood. I assume the grainy look is on purpose?

akmerlow: Wonderful to see a non-Western rural scene. Both are very nice and the instancing worked well, I think. I prefer the daylight one, because in the sunset one I thought the rows of vegetation were one hedge instead of a field. After seeing it better in the daylight one, I was also able to see my mistake in the sunset one.

Spuddy: I decided to redo the render with less sky and atmospheric perspective. The problem was, I think, that the terrain and elements were too large compared to the sky and therefore the further hills, which are actually only extensions of the first one, looked to be very far away. I solved the problem by grouping the full scene (except sky slab) and making it substantially smaller. Of course, I had to change the cameraposition too, so it is not in exactly the same position. I also modified the sky slab somewhat. Now the further sheep are just a bit further than the close sheep. And the grass behind the bridge has the right size as well, I think. The black dashes are actually shadows from bumps (stones) in the terrain, so I left them in.

So this is my actual version.

rural hills3a.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    Post edited by Hansmar on

@ mermaid010 - the re-render is also beautiful

@ adbc - A Path in the Country looks wonderful

@ akmerlow -  I like both versions, but my favorite is the sunset render.

@ Hansmar - I also like your actual version

Hansmar - haze is one important clue of distance, as sized are. The previous image could just be on a hazy day, but the cloud sizes somehow did not fit with the rest. This new render has a better match of haze and cloud size and it looks more realistic.

Rieke 77 : thank you.

Hansmar : Your actual version looks very natural. Thanks for your comment and yes it was the purpose to look grainy, just a bit like a painting effect.

Hansmar - thanks, theactual version looks very nice.

Rieke77, Horo, adbc, mermaid010: Thanks.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

mermaid010, Horo, Yellow Pen, ed3D, adbc, Hansmar, Rieke77 - thank you much for kind words.

Yellow Pen:
    "Mother and Child" - very calm and lovely. "Grandpa's break Place" - ah, the secret side of life! Domestic animals are used to it, though.

Rieke77:
    "Farm life" - good depiction of everyday life on a farm!

mermaid010:
    "The Barn" - beautiful entry!

Dan Whiteside:
    "A beautiful day" - very nice, i feel retro spirit.

Hansmar:
    "On the moors" - wow, great scene that shows grand scale of rural life.

adbc:
    "a path in the country" - nice, it's like when you arrive there after getting an invitation letter from someone of your family you haven't seen in a while.