Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    MDO2010 said:

Thank you both! :)

These sort of epic scenes are the reason I originally got Carrara but I keep getting distracted by other things and not doing the sort of image I really want to be working on.  One of my absolute favorite things about Carrara, and it's a subtle feature that can really be overlooked, is that the atmosphere just works like atmosphere!  If I want something to look like it is 200 meters tall and 1KM away, I model it at 200 meters tall and move it 1KM away in the scene and the realistic sky takes care of the rest! To do that in DS or Blender you need to play with volumetric scattering effects and just kind of eyeball it to get it to look right. In Carrara I can say, "make 1 KM look like 1 KM" and it takes care of haze and bluing effects for me.

I love this quote! Yeah... that's real Carrara magic, isn't it?!!! I also love that very aspect but doubt I could ever word it better!!! 

It also has some really good post effects built in - given practice to set them up just right. Is that a Carrara lens flare?

Even if not... if it was done in post (I usually do mine in Howler), Carrara has some very excellent lense flare setting which animate beautifully! My reason for doing it in post is because I need to composite more imagery over my animations - so it turns out better to include the composite information in with the flares.

As Don pointed out a while back, we often overlook (or just don't use due to reasons mentioned above - or others) the Scene Effect - Glare, which can really enhance an image according to its own lighting information - a post efffect that also has some amazingly powerful settings possibilities - and this sort of thing exists all over Carrara!

For years I was planning on doing all of my animations without post work. I did my compositing directly in Carrara. So I experimented with quite a few of these... add it all together and we get a super wonderful 3D tools suite, best known as the Magic of Carrara!

BTW, I really love that first image. The cobwebs on the ceiling... fantastic! The light gleaming in... the stillness of the water... the composition... those darned spiders are just as skin-crawlingly creepy as they ought to be! The big one in the foreground just feeds the feel for the rest of them, whom must be smaller and smaller as the scene deepens.

So did you use filter forge to make those webs too?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

+1 yes

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

great use of Carrara lighting system, MDO. If I may suggest I would add dust particles lit by sun in the first image, created within carrara of course smiley

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Love that second image, from the dune-ripple foreground to the blowing dust in the background, the figures give it the epic scale, and the lens flare just sets it off :)

edited September 2016

Love that second image, from the dune-ripple foreground to the blowing dust in the background, the figures give it the epic scale, and the lens flare just sets it off :)

Me too ;)

wanted to bring it over to this page so we can see it ;)

Also just the composition of the whole thing... just has a really good look about it. The ship and the birds make for an excellent addition to the sky. The buildings and the sword look frakking fantastic and the atmosphere seem to be adding a bit of heat ripple - unless that was added in post. The whole image is just... wow! Love it!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Bigh, I think I'm ready for Halloween... I  think 

Thanks for the reminder!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Halloween... not really a 'thing' here. We tend to wait a week then throw a traitor on the bonfire and hold massive firework parties!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    MDO2010 said:

Thank you both! :)

These sort of epic scenes are the reason I originally got Carrara but I keep getting distracted by other things and not doing the sort of image I really want to be working on.  One of my absolute favorite things about Carrara, and it's a subtle feature that can really be overlooked, is that the atmosphere just works like atmosphere!  If I want something to look like it is 200 meters tall and 1KM away, I model it at 200 meters tall and move it 1KM away in the scene and the realistic sky takes care of the rest! To do that in DS or Blender you need to play with volumetric scattering effects and just kind of eyeball it to get it to look right. In Carrara I can say, "make 1 KM look like 1 KM" and it takes care of haze and bluing effects for me.

You can of course adjust that so that 1km looks like 10km or whatever, but yes, the ability to work in real world dimensions - even for huge scenes - is a real bonus.

edited September 2016

Just setting up shaders on my new Predatron's Droid figure... Wow do I ever like this thing!

At first I had a subtle amount of reflection on most of his shaders, which looked pretty cool, but also made him look a little too polished, so I got rid of it. I might put some in here and there later. 

Still not sure which texture set to use. I do really like this one - so figured it would make a great saving point. I'm thinking of having this one as a 'friendly' character - at least neutral, and then make the skull-faced one (or several of them) to work for the opposition.

Oh... and the shader on the floor plain is one of Ringo's using Inagoni's Veloute

PredatronDroidHD01.jpg
    1280 x 1554 - 2M
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

like the color of the bot yes

Some nice little surface details in the materials - great work, Dart!

• Just setting up shaders on my new Predatron's Droid figure... Wow do I ever like this thing!

At first I had a subtle amount of reflection on most of his shaders, which looked pretty cool, but also made him look a little too polished, so I got rid of it. I might put some in here and there later. 

Still not sure which texture set to use. I do really like this one - so figured it would make a great saving point. I'm thinking of having this one as a 'friendly' character - at least neutral, and then make the skull-faced one (or several of them) to work for the opposition.

Oh... and the shader on the floor plain is one of Ringo's using Inagoni's Veloute

Nice, you could aways do the mandatory Cute Bot render like this: http://dangerousllama.deviantart.com/art/Robot-and-little-girl-2066643

Here is more inspiration: http://io9.gizmodo.com/5806146/the-beautiful-romance-between-a-girl-and-her-robot-companion/

Cheers smiley

Thanks! Yes, some really fun inspiration there! ;)

bigh said:

PhilW said:

Thanks! We need to pass most of the blame to the wonderful Predatron for the killer maps that come with this thing! Four full color variations complete with spec and bump, but also some nice mix n' match possibilities... many material zone in this thing! 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Stezza said:

Using M4 geared up with clothing from PoserWorld and the Gyro from rendo

Stezza, I'm giving this a 9 out of ten. For a ten it would have needed at leat one pigeon more

MDO2010 said:

I posted a version of this one in the terrain thread.  It's an old scene that I never finished and when I pulled it out for the thread it was further along than I remembered so I finished it.  The walls of the cave are two terrains turned 90 degrees and facing one another.  Here's the final with postwork:

And here's one I made today.  I didn't have anything in mind when I started, I was just playing around with terrains and the realistic sky and this sort of emerged.  The sword, buildings and ships were modeled by me, the ground consists of threee terrains and an infinite plane with several overlapping replicators to scatter varying sized rocks (mostly from one of mmoir's products).

triffic work this. fts right in with Star Wars

bigh said:

PhilW said:

Thanks! We need to pass most of the blame to the wonderful Predatron for the killer maps that come with this thing! Four full color variations complete with spec and bump, but also some nice mix n' match possibilities... many material zone in this thing! 

great looking Render Dart! you could try using anything goos to mix the colour variations - now that would be interesting as well - and you could leave high reflectance on one and not the other maybe (just an idea)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

lol @head wax

here's a blue tongue lizard

head wax said:

bigh said:

PhilW said:

great looking Render Dart! you could try using anything goos to mix the colour variations - now that would be interesting as well - and you could leave high reflectance on one and not the other maybe (just an idea)

That one and Terrain Tools... I want them.... I need them!!! Several others as well, like Anything Grows and Toon! Pro... Dart Want... Dart Need!!!

head wax said:

bigh said:

PhilW said:

That one and Terrain Tools... I want them.... I need them!!! Several others as well, like Anything Grows and Toon! Pro... Dart Want... Dart Need!!!

I wish DCG would have the occasional sale - it would push a few things from the wishlist into the bought list!

• WsCGWsCG Posts: 391

Working on my website. Not "live" yet but here is a preview of the talking head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0wIcTVaL1U

Hey that is cool!

• PhilW said:
    head wax said:

bigh said:

PhilW said:

I wish DCG would have the occasional sale - it would push a few things from the wishlist into the bought list!

+1 to that!  I was looking through Howie Farke's renderosity gallery the other day and saw that he used Anything Grows in a few and immediately wanted to go buy it. :Maybe next paycheck. :)

edited September 2016

Here's a fairly quick doodle for a Friday evening - I hope you like it.  I call it "Listening Pleasure"!

Saga Listening PleasureFinal.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 836K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Excellent doodle.  Will add to my playlist.  Enjoyed very much.

micro reflection + fresnel effect on G3F, no postwork

2.jpg
    1000 x 1116 - 95K
    1.jpg
    1000 x 1116 - 299K
    edited September 2016

micro reflection + fresnel effect on G3F, no postwork

Very nice!

Hey... when was the last time you've messed around with Victoria 3? I haven't as long as I've had Carrara, I don't think.

Well I was just perusing the store, and as soon as I saw this, you came to mind (I have to show this to Remo, I said to myself!)

Lynara by Thorne and Sarsa

Phil, Very nice render!!! :)

Post edited by Chohole on

thanks DB, here another shot showing the use of the curve filter to take control over reflection map

about V3 I must admit to have downloaded the model but never approached seriously. Actually I'm going to migrate softly to DS because I wanna find out if I can get hyper realism by using the maps I created for carrara; on a first try (last image below) they seems to work fine even in presence of soft light smiley

1.jpg
    600 x 672 - 38K
    2016-09-12_113907.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 279K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 222K
    edited September 2016

wow PHIlW and Margaremoto (and I nearly said Dart till I saw the Daz studio render blah) you are really pushing those envelopes

here;s soemthing from me, it started out as a VWD experoment where I droped a cloth over the skull and made it semi trasnparent, dunno what happened after that 

gee my  typing is bad sorry

much of the texture in the lighting is from caustics

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited September 2016

This started as a test of the Ultra BodySuit for G2F which I just got in the recent sale. A little postwork for levels and the background.

MyModelWonderWomanFinal.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 892K
    Post edited by PhilW on

@ head wax: I would have never thought your image came out from carrara, truly artistic yes

@ PhilW: the expression looks great and lifelike; maybe I would try to move part of your adrea hair in front of an eye to add a bit of mistery

@ DB: very often I forget that we only have such a mess of realistic figures to play with, both within carrara and daz studio (but carrara probably is the best choice to handle all of them easily) laugh

first try here with adrea hair (very neat product to start with wink) slightly adjusted by myself; maybe a little too short for such a round face. desaturated in post

Doc2.jpg
    2000 x 2252 - 687K
This discussion has been closed.