Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

micro displacement and micro shininess in genesis 3, very good maps by daz, can't wait to having fully operational within carrara

Ouch, that's excellent!

Yeah, Daz3d has been taking all of this very seriously for a very long time. V4 was a major breakthrough... but so were V1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7! 

Kind of like folks who live here for their whole lives, not appreciating the magic that surrounds them. So too do the masses who use this stuff accidentally get frustrated at the wrong people for the wrong reasons... next thing you know, their appreciation for the Gods diminish! It's a shame!

Watching the Reby Sky DVD was really cool! Since then I think Daz3d has totally beefed up their scanning techniques and studio, photo gear... heck they invested in some really fine 3d print equipment to get that all sorted out... Daz3d really rocks! Very demanding on themselves! I'm forever a fan!

Shoot. I was going to upload a render, but just closed Carrara without saving! LOL   Sometimes I just can't figure myself out!

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

as for the skin maps I agree but as I pointed out in another post I find eyes of gen3 not as realistic as all the rest; there's something unconvincing, maybe the irises too large or eyelids too thin and even the eye maps are improvable imho; it's a pity because they influence negatively the general realism

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited September 2016

magaremoto, Great looking... keeps gettin better... and better... looks finished to me but you know much more than I. As Dart said "Wow... freaking WOW!"... I'd have to add Awesome! Simply Astounding!  Not onto the dynamic hair??

Post edited by wgdjohn on

By gen3, you mean Genesis 3, right? Not Generation 3?

Yeah... Arki's EYEdeas 3+ have the capability to use Generation 4 eye maps, and there's another set that uses her own, custom UVs, making for some real flexibility. And none of the Daz figures support independent iris maps (R & L), where; even when we load in a set of two eyes that conform of the EYEdeas, we get the two iris material zones, which is nice. Anyways, I really like the EYEdeas and am just totally sold on using those for any of my main, realistic characters - mainly just because of lighting though... they shape the way my technique requires them to be, using included morphs. 

So even if I do switch to Genesis (any version) as my main character figure, I'll still be using EYEdeas 3+, even though they were originally designe for M4 and V4. They really work with anything. Load in each eye separately or both at one time, and there's a few version of each type, depending upon how we like to use them and which type of UV we need.

I still haven't used her custom UV Mapped ones... but I have looked at the maps and they are really nice! I just happened to have some highly specialized shaders at the time I bought them. One of these days I'll fit them (Dart and Rosie) with the other ones and give them a try ;)

DangeRose.jpg
    600 x 800 - 430K

Just a low-res shot of Rosie in a very serious state

Her skin normally isn't wet like this. I guess anyone would be a little moist after what she's just been through... and there's much still to come.... Argh!

thank you John, there'so much to tweak yet. As for dynamic hair I'm going to start testing with the help of PhilW, not in my comfort zone anyway

DB: genesis 3 of course, my mistake. thank you for the hints, very exhaustive as usual.

Rosie without sword and her hero! hope she have sharp nails at least laugh very good use of carrara for the background

another two shots of Eddie, one showing the micro bumps created in the displacement channel to get a less smooth skin

Doc7.jpg
    1440 x 1770 - 315K
    Doc6.jpg
    1440 x 1770 - 166K
    edited September 2016

I can almost see the seeds of HD realism with these Daz maps, come on Daz let us play with genesis 3

Doc1.jpg
    1000 x 1229 - 223K
    Doc2.jpg
    1000 x 1229 - 229K
    Post edited by magaremoto on

I can almost see the seeds of HD realism with these Daz maps, come on Daz let us play with genesis 3

I'm sure it's coming. It's just not on the forefront of their priorities, I'm sure. 

So what were you saying about the eyes? What's the issue with them, Mapping? Mesh? Rigging?

Rosie without sword and her hero! hope she have sharp nails at least laugh very good use of carrara for the background

Yeah... she really doesn't need a sword unless ranged weapons are trying to take her down. After seeing this horrible render I kinda wish I'd never have put it up! LOL

The skin shaders in that render actually look much better when the contrast isn't all blown to bits like that. The shaders are also set up for gamma correction being used, but I didn't use it because the spherical map doesn't work with gc... oh well... we all have to botch stuff up once in a while, eh? laugh 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

@magaremoto et @dartanbeck - thanks for the heads up on the micro displacement and micro shininess  - and that curve tool thing -

nice to learn stuff!

+ yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Just a low-res shot of Rosie in a very serious state

that;s an excellent render Dartanbeck

edited September 2016

thank you all

this is the final version (no postwork) with the lighting quality set to excellent; by using the curve filter I softly tweaked the shininess (and albedo as well)

about eyes in genesis 3 they are not very convincing in many aspects; I hope we'll have many morphs to play with

DB, have you ever considered to turn the lighting to orange/red as in many Conan watercolor covers for example? They communicate a  dramatic very moment

Photoscape has many film filters that can help for that

Doc4.jpg
    1400 x 1721 - 244K
    2016-09-02_085817.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 284K
    edited September 2016

just to show what I mean (but i don't know what you're aiming at) the following are 2 shots with yl1 and yl3 film filters applied to your latest image; maybe you can process it within Howler with more appropriate results

yl1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 222K
    yl3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 210K

Yes! Howler is incredible with that! Of course, we have to use our eyes to determine what to do with the tools... but yeah... I love color grading!

I also use light linking to help add color where I want it within the image at render time. Then I tweak the results in Howler. The really nice thing with Howler is that I can key frame changes in any of my postwork - for the most part. Great for creating mood-change shots!

Thanks so much for the example. I've been grading towards red and blue, and backing off on green lately. Backing off on green takes a lot of the orange out of the image - especially when combined with an increase of blue.

In RGB, Red plus Green (in varying levels) equals Orange! ;)

I'll have to go back through some cool posters (paintings by Frazetta, Caldwell, Elsmore, etc.,) and get my eyes re-acquainted with the style I'm after. Doing so much SciFi space interior stuff, going to blue has been a really fun grade... but I'll be sure to watch out for this!

Dart, Not sure what you mean by light linking. I'm thinking that you would have a color filter for RGB added to each camera which would only affect the chararcter and/or another part of scene perhaps.

wgdjohn said:

Dart, Not sure what you mean by light linking. I'm thinking that you would have a color filter for RGB added to each camera which would only affect the chararcter and/or another part of scene perhaps.

Light Linking is when we ask the light to affect only ______, or to affect everything except _______.

wgdjohn said:

Light Linking is when we ask the light to affect only ______, or to affect everything except _______.

Thanks... I've done that a lot... what a goof I am :) ... will hopfully remember that next time I do it.

wgdjohn said:
    wgdjohn said:

Thanks... I've done that a lot... what a goof I am :) ... will hopfully remember that next time I do it.

Please, don't ever feel like a goof for not knowing a term from some, specific field of... whatever. I like to do the same thing. If I am unclear on what somebody means, apparently because of a term used... I ask them about it. That's how we learn!

That term is new to me since getting this book, Digital Lighting & Rendering by Jeremy Birn

I was so excited getting this book that I wrote a thread on it: Want faster, more efficient renders and/or better lighting?

I won't go on about the book here, since that thread says a lot already. But it's one amazing course on digital lighting and rendering all on its own... highly recommended!

PhilW bought it again (third edition, after already owning the second) and got into a whole mode of study, and wrote this incredible thread: Linear Workflow - Gamma Correction = 2.2, and later released his Realsim Rendering course via Infinite Skills which wraps up his most passionate research! 

Anyways, Jeremy (author) is a professional at this stuff (Lighting Technical Director at Pixar Animation Studios) and it is through reading his book where I've picked up that term, and I'm happy for that because it's a lot easier tyo say than: "and setting the light to Only affect _____" ;)

Learning is Funnnn!!! Lets keep doing it, shall we? :)

edited September 2016

Never actually feel like a goof... if years ago I'd not asked what "BRB" ment I'd still be wondering today.

Thanks for pointing out that book... looks to be good.. will have to latch onto a copy. I'd bought a book explained lighting, camera DOF, RGB settings and alot more for 3d back in the 90's..

Learning...Yes we shall!

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

Using M4 geared up with clothing from PoserWorld and the Gyro from rendo

DB, I would mention Kelly, Vallejo, Norem and SanJulian but the list is very long. Maybe you can get some inspiration here as I did for my conan: http://cimmerianfans.it/conan-la-spada-selvaggia/  ; it gathers many covers made by different artists

below my tests with genesis 3 basic female; good response of the skin with diffuse light and soft sunlight, wip for the eyes

Doc4.jpg
    600 x 737 - 67K
    Doc7.jpg
    600 x 737 - 67K

DB, I would mention Kelly, Vallejo, Norem and SanJulian but the list is very long. Maybe you can get some inspiration here as I did for my conan: http://cimmerianfans.it/conan-la-spada-selvaggia/  ; it gathers many covers made by different artists

below my tests with genesis 3 basic female; good response of the skin with diffuse light and soft sunlight, wip for the eyes

Awesome link! Thanks! :)

Stezza... that is an awesome render!

Remo, it's cool to see Genesis 3 Female in a Carrara Render! Bravo!

edited September 2016

DB, I hope you will find your personal artistic path soon

here another test on genesis 3: on the left diffuse (very good default map indeed) + displacement only, on the right added bump, specular and reflection maps

Doc7.jpg
    3000 x 2985 - 636K
    Doc8.jpg
    3000 x 2985 - 720K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited September 2016

I posted a version of this one in the terrain thread.  It's an old scene that I never finished and when I pulled it out for the thread it was further along than I remembered so I finished it.  The walls of the cave are two terrains turned 90 degrees and facing one another.  Here's the final with postwork:

And here's one I made today.  I didn't have anything in mind when I started, I was just playing around with terrains and the realistic sky and this sort of emerged.  The sword, buildings and ships were modeled by me, the ground consists of threee terrains and an infinite plane with several overlapping replicators to scatter varying sized rocks (mostly from one of mmoir's products).

CaveFinal.jpg
    1400 x 1900 - 154K
    LongWalkFinal.jpg
    2000 x 940 - 264K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

Awesome, MDO!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

A wonderful sense of scale in that last one!

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited September 2016

Thank you both! :)

These sort of epic scenes are the reason I originally got Carrara but I keep getting distracted by other things and not doing the sort of image I really want to be working on.  One of my absolute favorite things about Carrara, and it's a subtle feature that can really be overlooked, is that the atmosphere just works like atmosphere!  If I want something to look like it is 200 meters tall and 1KM away, I model it at 200 meters tall and move it 1KM away in the scene and the realistic sky takes care of the rest! To do that in DS or Blender you need to play with volumetric scattering effects and just kind of eyeball it to get it to look right. In Carrara I can say, "make 1 KM look like 1 KM" and it takes care of haze and bluing effects for me.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    MDO2010 said:
    And here's one I made today.  I didn't have anything in mind when I started, I was just playing around with terrains and the realistic sky and this sort of emerged.

That's a very striking image. Looks like a frame from a si-fi epic. And like Phil said, the sense of scale is excellent. Good job on lighting as well!

This discussion has been closed.