AI is going to be our biggest game changer

Comments

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758
    edited March 2023

Oh, a whole lotta AI on this one.

Music video. I think 4 or 5 different apps.

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,889

Faeryl Womyn said:

Here's some information that may be useful to some of you. This is a US based rules guide, so I would assume it's different in other countries. Below is the full text he mentions at the beginning.

The full text is here...

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/03/16/2023-05321/copyright-registration-guidance-works-containing-material-generated-by-artificial-intelligence

Thanks for posting - so it looks like, the problem will be solved - sooner or later.

edited March 2023

That is interesting - made by the professionals: The Museum of Modern Art

AI Art: How artists are using and confronting machine learning | HOW TO SEE LIKE A MACHINE

Post edited by Artini on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,909

video

I stole all the lollies

even they are only 50cents blush

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

What I would like to see is AI within DAZ Studio, so I could load up and dress my characters and props, then use English to tell it what I want with regard to posing, animation, and camera travel. And have it figure out how to light the scene appropriately as the camera moves through it. I guess what I'm thinking about takes a scene and creates animation tracks for it, so that you can save them separately and tweak them if necessary until you've got everything looking just like you want with a LOT of help from the AI tools.

Buying content and dressing up the characters is easy. Everything after that takes a lot of hard-earned skill for a human, but might be easy for AI to figure out. And the stuff AI messes up, like the number of fingers on a hand, would not be a problem if it's working with existing 3D content instead of trying to create the characters as part of the image.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,781

I'd love that too but if it happened, Daz Studio AI would probably not run on my video card which has only 6 gigs of vram. And since it's a new computer I've no plans, moneywise, to upgrade. Be different if I was using it for work; for a hobby, no matter how enjoyable, I simply cannot justify the expense. :sigh: Maybe someday, if I win the lottery ... frown

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458

I did a render of Ghengis Khan in DAZ Studio... used an AI generated landscape as background, and painted the two together...

Hyborian1.png
    2705 x 2164 - 1M
    Hyborian Quest 1080.jpg
    2258 x 1080 - 2M
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,781

Nice work!

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798

Well today it's built right in the Daz! LOL

edited April 2023

I have applied Make Art button from yesterady on https://www.daz3d.com/chihuahua-for-daz-dog-8-penelope-and-zorro-add-on

and get this below. Works very well for me...

Chihuahua03.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 522K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited April 2023

... and that one, too ...

Chihuahua04.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 401K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • PerttiA said:

More than better, faster render engines I think AI will be the biggest game changer as far as 3D computer animation is concerned. I have a feeling this will mean instead of being modellers and animators we'll all become directors. Can't wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXFmZsv0Ddw

Imagine when we get to the point where we're able to describe to our computers what we want and then work on refining how the computer interprets our wishes.

Can't wait for the neural interfaces, no more keyboards, mice or monitors, you just think and the computer creates the whatever you thought straight into your brain... cheeky

They could call it "Skynet:  Matrix Edition".

• Inkubo said:

What I would like to see is AI within DAZ Studio, so I could load up and dress my characters and props, then use English to tell it what I want with regard to posing, animation, and camera travel. And have it figure out how to light the scene appropriately as the camera moves through it. I guess what I'm thinking about takes a scene and creates animation tracks for it, so that you can save them separately and tweak them if necessary until you've got everything looking just like you want with a LOT of help from the AI tools.

Buying content and dressing up the characters is easy. Everything after that takes a lot of hard-earned skill for a human, but might be easy for AI to figure out. And the stuff AI messes up, like the number of fingers on a hand, would not be a problem if it's working with existing 3D content instead of trying to create the characters as part of the image.

You're basically looking for the Holodeck computer from Star Trek TNG, so that you can tell it which Dixon Hill story you want, or how you want London to look in your Sherlock Holmes adventure.  Just don't deactivate the safety protocol!

For the comparison - the artist watch the reference image on the computer screen and then paint.

How a Professional Artist ACTUALLY makes Paintings

How to Project Photos for Painting

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,789

Artini said:

For the comparison - the artist watch the reference image on the computer screen and then paint.

How a Professional Artist ACTUALLY makes Paintings

How to Project Photos for Painting

Do a search for LED Light Pad - very useful for turning renders into something to paint !!!

Lucy

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited April 2023

Professional artists projecting photos for painting is modern mechanization of an ancient practice of camera obscura or lightpads (or literal windows, like, windows in buildings). All those painters are also capable of drawing from memory. It's not even remotely comparable to automated image generation.

But take as much as digital brush stroke stabilizers and working layers out of digital art and things start hitting the roadblock.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
    edited April 2023

So maybe one could see AI images generation as:

"modern mechanization of an ancient practice of camera obscura or lightpads"

- AI postprocessing with the image provided

"painters capable of drawing from memory"

- AI generating image from the text prompt

Post edited by Artini on
    edited April 2023

OK, now I'm pleased again... all it took was to determine what AI helps me with and what I still want 3D renders to do.

Scenario: Minerva (the Minerva 9 character in the DAZ Store) has been sent on an errand by her lord in the nearby castle.
    The Problem: Minerva just didn't look like Minerva when I let the AI try to adapt to suit the changes to the rest of the scene. (Incidentally, I had deliberately built a castle that was not the aesthetic I was looking for, as I specifically wanted the AI to riff off the composition I created in DAZ Studio but wanted something more unique looking than straight-ahead model renders.)

The solution: Do Minerva as a separate render and save as a PNG to preserve the alpha data, then use a separate render of the background landscape to feed into the AI to work with.

01.jpg
    1920 x 750 - 547K
    02.png
    1920 x 750 - 775K
    03.jpg
    1920 x 750 - 594K
    Post edited by Jabba on
    edited April 2023

Then after landscaping with the AI and blending in Affinity Photo, the finished piece looks like this...

(What I love about this method is the level of instant control over the composition - no unwanted duplicates e.g. castles on every single hilltop - and could then focus on what style I wanted... saved me so much time.)

04.jpg
    1920 x 749 - 867K
    Post edited by Jabba on
    edited April 2023

Looks nice, @Jabba.

I have also tested AI postprocessing of renders and I like the results, as well.

The key is to find effective and not so much time consuming technique to blend images.

Post edited by Artini on
  • generalgameplayinggeneralgameplaying Posts: 506
    edited April 2023

Artini said:

A peninsula memory painter at your service, having "learned" from all painters of all time. Or a shelf lower: a nifty cover-painter with an encyclopedia at hand. You tell them what to do, and they perform according to their liking and their corporation's guidelines :). Further they keep a copy of all you said, the image, and their corporation ensures to track it all over the internet ;). Well, anyway...

Post edited by generalgameplaying on
  • PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited April 2023

Artini said:

Not sure what you are trying to say.

That people using AI-generated images are on same level with artists capable of painting entirely from memory because said artists sometimes use aids to speed up their work?

They aren't. Take the AI away and they have nothing left.

In comparison a professional artists might use aids and references, but if they can't paint without it they wouldn't make it through the art school. They still need skills to pain following the projection with physical paints and brushes.

The AI itself also obviously is not on the same level with artists since it's a random image generator. Just that you roll the dice enough times to get what you want from the prompt.

I know some people start being emotionally invested trying to claim they can create because they spent so much time using the image generators they want/need to believe. But let's not fool ourselves. It's not the same level. wink

Post edited by PixelSploiting on

PixelSploiting said:

Artini said:

Not sure what you are trying to claim.

That people using AI-generated images are on same level with artists capable of painting entirely from memory because said artists sometimes use aids to speed up their work?

In comparison a professional artists might use aids and references, but if they can't paint without it they wouldn't make it through the art school. They still need skills to pain following the projection with physical paints and brushes.

The AI itself also obviously is not on the same level with artists since it's a random image generator. Just that you roll the dice enough times to get what you want from the prompt.

I know some people start being emotionally invested trying to claim they can create because they spent so much time using the image generators they want/need to believe it's artistic... But let's not fool ourselves. It's not the same level. wink

I am a lousy artist but I can plonk a few premade 3D assets in a scene and hit render cheeky 

(I am probably not great at that either wink)

I am not claiming anything other than using AI is easier and looks heaps better

for those just wanting pretty pictures of subjects of their choice it's the bees knees

which is the vast number of ordinary untalented people

disclaimer, not actually defending AI here just saying why it's not going to go away

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,992

Jabba said:

Then after landscaping with the AI and blending in Affinity Photo, the finished piece looks like this...

(What I love about this method is the level of instant control over the composition - no unwanted duplicates e.g. castles on every single hilltop - and could then focus on what style I wanted... saved me so much time.)

That image looks great, and I really like your workflow there.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

PixelSploiting said:

Artini said:

Not sure what you are trying to claim.

I know some people start being emotionally invested trying to claim they can create because they spent so much time using the image generators they want/need to believe it's artistic... But let's not fool ourselves. It's not the same level. wink

I am a lousy artist but I can plonk a few premade 3D assets in a scene and hit render cheeky 

(I am probably not great at that either wink)

I am not claiming anything other than using AI is easier and looks heaps better

for those just wanting pretty pictures of subjects of their choice it's the bees knees

which is the vast number of ordinary untalented people

disclaimer, not actually defending AI here just saying why it's not going to go away

Here's more or less how I see it (and it's roughly in line how US copyright office seems to perceive it).

If someone takes an AI output and edits the most of it, that's probably creative. There's going to be lots of edits to get exactly what you want. Probably the entire image. From shapes to colors to where it ends on the canvas.

And that's okay because at this point this is comparable (in terms of amount of work) to doing collages or photomanip art. It doesn't matter much if the source assets came from 3d assets store, photos, older art or whatever.

But taking a prompt output, then maybe cleaning it from errors it's less an artist work, and more an editor work. The Ai is the creator here, the human works editorial on this. Majority of the AI art everywhere seems to be exactly this. The least resistance route.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,816

I need AI to make my hair atachments look like actual hair.

Masterstroke said:

I need AI to make my hair atachments look like actual hair.

with inpainting it definitely is possible 

• For a direction with computer games, you could almost go entirely meta, by making use of language models and image generation, as well as language model processing given images as well. Flatrate and some interfacing needed, though.

- MORPG with believable wording, or correction of player language.

- MORPG: Paranoia - finally feasible?

- (Telling stories from facts collected from the in-game history of a character or autonomous agent.)

- ("Cinematic" renders, WYSIWYG +- you bet.)

You could in theory throw people into a random story that evolves almost entirely based on human-machine interaction. Sometimes could give players choices or allow a question, somewhat guarded by context.

This discussion has been closed.