Poser 12 early release

Poser 12 just got an early release.

Just sayin'

There's a tryout version as well.

There's an updated SuperFly renderer based on a more modern version of Cycles, and it supports AMD GPUs as well as nVidia Cuda.

I'm waiting for the official release....

Comments

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,981
    edited November 2020

Yeah saw it too, you can buy it now if you have the cash.. But when I saw that Superfly is based on Blender Cycles went wow, and more so for those folks with AMD cards they will be happy as well since Cycles for AMD will be using OpenCL..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

The early release is Windows only from what I've seen.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I don't know whether the "phone home feature" is still built in ...

System Requirements

• Internet connection for updates and required online activation.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited November 2020

Funny, I went to the Renderosity site and the main advertising banner doesn't mention something like that that is so fundamental to the sale & use of their 3D models on their site. It's not really good advertising or helping keep Poser SW viable and popular to obsure the sale of it from potential customers. Given Poser SW's role in using that content they sell, a "Buy Poser" ad should be a central ad that is prominent and sticky everywhere you go on their site really. 

Posers' SuperFly has been based on Blender's Cycles also for Poser 11. I think it originally was added in Poser 10. Of course Cycles in Blender has been much improved in the mean time and they should probably do the Cycles integration anew using the latest supported Blender version rather than the version already integrated into Poser.

I have Poser 11 Pro and won't be upgrading as I don't even have Poser Pro installed, just the Poser content from it and that I purchased from CP.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775
    Kerya said:

I don't know whether the "phone home feature" is still built in ...

System Requirements

• Internet connection for updates and required online activation.

Yes, it still phones home/requires online connection. This was asked about in the forums over there and they made it pretty clear from everything I've seen that "feature" is being kept. Upgrade price is great if you don't need to do currency conversions to US dollars but I think I'm gonna wait awhile and see, for now PoserPro 2014 still does what I want quite well whenever I work in Poser. I did upgrade to Poser 11 but was not overly impressed and I rarely use it.

• GDLGDL Posts: 19
    edited November 2020

They updated the python version from 2.7 to 3.x, so DSON importer doesn't work anymore in P12 :-/

Post edited by GDL on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814
    edited November 2020
    GDL said:

They updated the python version from 2.7 to 3.x, so DSON importer doesn't work anymore in P12 :-/

yeah good enough reason for me not to bother with it cheeky

I will try and get it working again in my 11, I think moving my libraries broke it, not really investigated it closely 

update I got my DSON working again in 11 and sticking with it thankyou

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • RHatchRHatch Posts: 49

Quick Poser 12 review: it should be Poser 11.5, but they're charging money for it. Absolutely NOTHING new, just bugfixes and small quality-of-life fixes. Still no sign of interactive Cycles (Superfly) viewport. Barely enough to even qualify as a point release, let alone a full, once again FOR MONEY upgrade. I'm done with Poser (after 25 years of using it).

Most. Disappointing. Poser. Release. EVER.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    RHatch said:

Quick Poser 12 review: it should be Poser 11.5, but they're charging money for it. Absolutely NOTHING new, just bugfixes and small quality-of-life fixes. Still no sign of interactive Cycles (Superfly) viewport. Barely enough to even qualify as a point release, let alone a full, once again FOR MONEY upgrade. I'm done with Poser (after 25 years of using it).

Out of sheer mad curiosity, what's the new content with it?

• English BobEnglish Bob Posts: 113
    edited November 2020
    RHatch said:

Thanks for the review, that was pretty much my conclusion. I'm sorry you had to pay money to find that out. Added to which, Python 3 will inevitably break many of the scripts I rely on day-to-day, the only question being how many. I'll soldier on with 11.3 while I can.

Post edited by English Bob on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    Ascania said:
    RHatch said:

Out of sheer mad curiosity, what's the new content with it?

Far as I could see less than a half dozen Hivewire animals like the Hivewire horse.

I agree, the upgrades done to Poser are far less significant than even the last public beta upgrades in DAZ Studio.

RHatch said:

Thanks for the review, that was pretty much my conclusion. I'm sorry you had to pay money to find that out. Added to which, Python 3 will inevitably break many of the scripts I rely on day-to-day, the only question being how many. I'll soldier on with 11.3 while I can.

Python 3 will probably ALL older scripts ... apart from that: there is a trial version here:

https://www.posersoftware.com/downloads

• RHatch said:

Same here, exactley, what I'm thinking. 
    I've allready thaught that way with Poser 11. So I thought, give them time, don't have them rushed, in order to release an awesome Poser 12, that makes forget the Poser 11 fail. After all we all make mistakes and not every upgrade can be great.

But no. 
    Bondware has blown it. 
     Has anybody noticed, that Poser keeps taking free plug ins or apps like physics, goZ or cycles include into Poser and then makes you pay for it? 
    Am I getting something wrong here?

Poser has not just fallen far behind DAZStudio, it also has fallen behind IClone.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,463

Was a Poser user for a decade, never liked or got used to the interface that didn't follow any established standards or logic. Not going back unless they rewrite the interface completely.

RHatch said:

I didn't buy it, nor am I likely to ever. I downloaded it and used it in trial mode, and am very glad I did (and also sad, because I really LIKE Poser, but it's dying thanks to poor developers who either don't care or have enough resources to do the job properly).

It's high time I learned to properly use Blender, and oh, look, there's a nice bridge for bringing in DAZ figures. (BTW, off topic, but have you seen the new stuff in Blender2.91?)

• RHatch said:
    I didn't buy it, nor am I likely to ever. I downloaded it and used it in trial mode, and am very glad I did (and also sad, because I really LIKE Poser, but it's dying thanks to poor developers who either don't care or have enough resources to do the job properly).

Ah, that's not so bad then - and I was forgetting that Bondware had reinstated trial versions. I could, and probably should, try it for myself. I like Poser too, but mostly because I know how to hack it to get around the stuff it won't do properly. I probably shouldn't rant on, althogh anyone who likes rants can probably find my Deviant Art journals for themselves. ;)

Python 3 will probably ALL older scripts ... apart from that: there is a trial version here:

I'm expecting that very simple scripts will be unaffected, not that it helps at all. There are all the non-simple ones, some of which will have no more support, such as Ralf Sesseler/Dimension3D's. As you and RHatch have suggested, I should experiment with the trial version.

https://www.posersoftware.com/article/490/how-poser-12-is-being-developed

Instead, we have chosen to use an agile software development model.

"Aspects of this can be seen in our recent Early Access launch that puts software in your hands earlier for feedback and refinement,” Choate said.

Which means you are a beta tester for a paid software?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    Kerya said:

https://www.posersoftware.com/article/490/how-poser-12-is-being-developed

Instead, we have chosen to use an agile software development model.

"Aspects of this can be seen in our recent Early Access launch that puts software in your hands earlier for feedback and refinement,” Choate said.

Which means you are a beta tester for a paid software?

That's more or less the idea behind early access programs, yes. You get incremental builds with new features regular users don't get, and are supposed to provide feedback on those.

• Poser sucks with conform to figure - it rarely works if ever! and the figures look so Poser 3-ish

render engines:

Cycles in Poser needs to catch up with Blender urgently !

DAZ also needs a Cycles integration for those who don't have fancy Nvidia gear like myself for example - latest Blendeer won't give me OpenCL anymore but Radeon Pro Render does! and that's what I'm using)

open shading language... just saying

• Feedback should probably be given at Renderosity rather than here.

• Feedback should probably be given at Renderosity rather than here.

Richie, that's probably right

why the heck do we have a Poser forum here anyway? we could avoid discussions like that all together

no more Poser forum here...

• The Poser forum is still useful for discussing the Poser content in the store, used in Poser.

• The Poser forum is still useful for discussing the Poser content in the store, used in Poser.

or DSON wink

someone at DAZ could make an update for  it to Python 3

you know, to sell content enlightened

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited November 2020

The Poser forum is still useful for discussing the Poser content in the store, used in Poser.

or DSON wink

I have an outstanding bug report regarding Genesis 2 in the Importer for a couple of years, so I suspect the developers have moved on to other persuits.

Genesis 2 via the Importer with EZSkin is my go-to figure in Poser..

Post edited by WandW on
  • WandW said:

The Poser forum is still useful for discussing the Poser content in the store, used in Poser.

or DSON wink

I have an outstanding bug report regarding Genesis 2 in the Importer for a couple of years, so I suspect the developers have moved on to other persuits.

Genesis 2 via the Importer with EZSkin is my go-to figure in Poser..

well IMO Genesis 2 still looks better than La Femme and Homme, they are terrifying 

Feedback should probably be given at Renderosity rather than here.

Yeah, except the sycophants there would start a flame war and get the thread deleted. It's much friendlier here. There's no way Bondware is unaware ogf the fact that they're trying to sell an upgrade that offers nothing new. I would definitely report any actual bugs directly to them, however.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,981
    edited November 2020
    GDL said:

If that is the case then they have pretty much killed Poser for a lot of people, as with DSON folks could use Genesis and Genesis 2 with Poser..  With that option gone, I think people will probably move on to other programs.. Or those who are still diehard Poserites will continue to use Vicky 3 and 4 or Dawn, La Femme the base figure that now comes with Poser does not really do it for me.. I suppose being so spoiled with Genesis, Genesis 2, Genesis 3 and Genesis 8..

_ AL1vE _ said:

Poser sucks with conform to figure - it rarely works if ever! and the figures look so Poser 3-ish

render engines:

DAZ also needs a Cycles integration for those who don't have fancy Nvidia gear like myself for example - latest Blendeer won't give me OpenCL anymore but Radeon Pro Render does! and that's what I'm using)

Yeah I think that would be a good idea if Daz could intergrate Cycles in Daz Studio for those who do not have Nvidia cards, as I suspect that there will be quite a few of them soon when the new Radeon 6000 series cards are out in the wild..

Also there is Intels Oidn AI denoiser, that could also be handy to a lot of folks as well..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • Ghosty12 said:
    GDL said:

If that is the case then they have pretty much killed Poser for a lot of people, as with DSON folks could use Genesis and Genesis 2 with Poser..  With that option gone, I think people will probably move on to other programs.. Or those who are still diehard Poserites will continue to use Vicky 3 and 4 or Dawn, La Femme the base figure that now comes with Poser does not really do it for me.. I suppose being so spoiled with Genesis, Genesis 2, Genesis 3 and Genesis 8..

_ AL1vE _ said:

Poser sucks with conform to figure - it rarely works if ever! and the figures look so Poser 3-ish

render engines:

Yeah I think that would be a good idea if Daz could intergrate Cycles in Daz Studio for those who do not have Nvidia cards, as I suspect that there will be quite a few of them soon when the new Radeon 6000 series cards are out in the wild..

Also there is Intels Oidn AI denoiser, that could also be handy to a lot of folks as well..

sure thing

_ AL1vE _ said:

why the heck do we have a Poser forum here anyway? we could avoid discussions like that all together

Because there is still Poser content to be bought from here?

And yes, I am using Poser and DazStudio and Bryce ...

If it disturbs you, you don't have to look ... that way you could have avoided this discussion.

• Kerya said:
    _ AL1vE _ said:

Because there is still Poser content to be bought from here?

And yes, I am using Poser and DazStudio and Bryce ...

If it disturbs you, you don't have to look ... that way you could have avoided this discussion.

tips fedora