Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.15.0.30! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• diane.duane_e7fa2315d1 said:

jbowler said:

diane.duane_e7fa2315d1 said:

(waving at everybody) Hi, folks --

A question regarding dForce problems secondary to the last couple of releases. -- I'm running DS on an Asus Republic of Gamers Strix machine a couple of years old

I use an ASUS RoG Maximum X Hero (I don't know where ASUS get these names from...) it's comparable with the Strix.

a GTX 1050ti on board, drivers all up to date. dForce has been running well enough... until just recently.

DAZStudio runs dForce on the GPU, if it is allowed to (the card selection is in the Simulation advanced options), so I would expect that to be the major perf factor.

When I updated to 4.12 a little while ago, dForce flat-out stopped working. Specifically: the first time I ran it preparatory to a render after 4.12 dropped, it reinstalled the dForce kernel files, then started running... and hung at "1 second" in the "Stabilizing simulation"

I've observed somethng similar, particularly with simulations involving hair.  In my case it is definately specific to individual products; if you see it for all products the rest of this message is unlikely to be helpful, that sounds more like an issue with dForce for the particular card.  In that case use the advanced GPU settings to disable dForce on the card so that it all runs on the CPU.  This may help in other cases as well because it is likely to change the math errors in the calculations.

If not you can use the animation timeline to help find out what is going on; move to frame 30 in the timeline, create a key frame for the figure (normally that's all you need because the hair/wardrobe isn't posed).  Use TRSO when you do this (or you can use TRSOA and create the pose node-recursive on the hip node, that is a lot faster but does miss some character-level properties, IRC 3DU pose architect for one).

Now go back to Frame 0, select the figure, and do "Restore Figure Pose" (Edit/Figure/Geometry?/Restore/Figure Pose, something like that).  You may have to manually set the figure translate and rotate back at this point; dForce simulations from the memorized pose don't use the memorized figure location itself.

Turn off the similuation "initialize" options - don't initialize from the memorized pose - and use "timeline play range" for the simulation.  Save the file (you are likely as not going to have to kill DAZStudio) and run the simulation.  This isn't precisely what you are doing - it is a simulation from the memorized pose (1s) with no initialization and no stablization afterward and it will possibly hang at frame 1 but it does sometimes give a clue to what is going on since you can see the intermediate steps in the simulation.  You can add the "stablize" step just by extending the timeline out to frame 60 (1 additional second of no character movement), likewise the initialize step can be added at the start, but you have to set all of the frame 0 keys to constant or linear (TCB will generate spurious intermediate motion).

What seems to have changed is that dForce has become far more stable; it doesn't give up trying to solve the collision offsets and so it can take a very very long time.  That is the problem selecting all the dForce surfaces and dropping the collision offset to 0 may allow the simulation to get further at the cost of increasingly the liklihood of dForce explosions.

4.15 dropped and I installled it this morning, hoping for better... but no joy. It hangs in the same place.

I thought I saw some changes from 4.14 but it's probably just the result of internal code changes shifting math errors around; there are not meant to be any "functionality" changes.

I've been up and down this thread and haven't seen (or have missed, my apologies in advance...) anyone reporting this problem. I've fiddled with pushing settings up to "Best" as recommended here and there: no joy.

Also try lowering it.  Reduce the collision detection setting from 4 to 1; 1 is normally sufficient but can leave some collisions, 2 normally solves those.

To speed things up set the FPS multiplier to 1 (this also seems to reduce file size) and lower the "subframes".  This effectively speeds up the animation and therefore reduces gravity and increases air resistance in proportion, so the results can be weird, but it vastly reduces the time.  The iterations setting doesn't do anything to speed if the collisions can be solved; dForce seems to stop iterating when it has found a solution.  For normal simulatons I set FPS to 1 and double the sub-frames setting, for maximum debugging I sometimes multiply FPS by the sub-frames and set sub-frames to 1 then make the same change on the timeline FPS; this shows me every sub-frame on the timeline.

The desert queen hair (strand based hair) product had bad simulation time and, sometimes, error issues for me.  There are three separate threads (that I know about) discussing the product, this one mentions the dForce issues with that hair and the comments apply to strand based hair in general:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/436117/desert-queen-hair#latest

This is one about simulation issues:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6343051/#Comment_6343051

(No, I haven't made any progress on that particular issue yet; I'm still trying to get to the bottom of an unrelated explosion.)  This is the product commercial page which has useful tips that apply generally to strand based hair though it doesn't have much discussion of dForce: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/435702/

Hey, jbowler, you are *extremely* kind to take the time to get so closely to grips with this. Thanks! ...I'll take a run at this over the next day or three and see if I can make some headway.

More shortly! And thanks again.

Best--

DD

You would need the Intel OpenCL driver to have the option to sue the CPU - it isn't included by default in Windows (as far as I know). Details/link here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#latest . You might also want to try a clean install of the GPU drivers. The first thing I'd check, though, if there's an Intel GPU on the CPU is that the OpenCL provider in the Advanced tab of Simulation Settings isn't pointing to that.

• LaschaeLaschae Posts: 111

I've downloaded both the new 4.15 Pro and beta and both crash after I open it. All my drivers are updated and I've uninstalled/reinstalled several times. Any tips on what I can do to vanquish these gremlins?

• Laschae said:

I've downloaded both the new 4.15 Pro and beta and both crash after I open it. All my drivers are updated and I've uninstalled/reinstalled several times. Any tips on what I can do to vanquish these gremlins?

What is your OS version and video card?

DoctorJellybean said:

Laschae said:

Uh windows 10 an a 2080 TI

• Laschae said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Laschae said:

You may have a corrupt database. Do you use DIM?

If yes, start DIM and click on the Settings icon (top right). Select Advanced Settings, and select the Installation tab. Change the Content Database Base location, select an empty folder somewhere (make a note of the current location). Click Accept, close DIM and start it again and check that the new location is listed in Content Database Base.

Start DS and see if it runs this time. If it does, then you need to re-populate the new database. In DS, click the hamburger menu on the Content Library tab, and select Content DB Maintenance. Check Re-Import Metadata and Accept.

DoctorJellybean said:

Laschae said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Laschae said:

You may have a corrupt database. Do you use DIM?

If yes, start DIM and click on the Settings icon (top right). Select Advanced Settings, and select the Installation tab. Change the Content Database Base location, select an empty folder somewhere (make a note of the current location). Click Accept, close DIM and start it again and check that the new location is listed in Content Database Base.

Start DS and see if it runs this time. If it does, then you need to re-populate the new database. In DS, click the hamburger menu on the Content Library tab, and select Content DB Maintenance. Check Re-Import Metadata and Accept.

For unknown reasons after uninstalling and reinstalling 3 or 4 times it seems to have gotten the idea that it can work. Fingers crossed that it stays working. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

(waving at everybody) Hi, folks --

A question regarding dForce problems secondary to the last couple of releases. -- I'm running DS on an Asus Republic of Gamers Strix machine a couple of years old -- not the most powerful machine, but fine for rendering work: a GTX 1050ti on board, drivers all up to date. dForce has been running well enough... until just recently.

When I updated to 4.12 a little while ago, dForce flat-out stopped working. Specifically: the first time I ran it preparatory to a render after 4.12 dropped, it reinstalled the dForce kernel files, then started running... and hung at "1 second" in the "Stabilizing simulation" window... and stayed there. Five minutes, half an hour, an hour and a half on one attempt: no movement. No way out except to pull up Task Manager and kill the process, and the program.

4.15 dropped and I installled it this morning, hoping for better... but no joy. It hangs in the same place.

By way of experiment I checked the same bare-bones dForce run on a version of 4.10 still resident on my old, old W7 machine -- a G8M figure with the dForce Medieval Villager garment on him -- and it ran perfectly happily. (Not at any great speed -- took it about 10 minutes -- but it ran as expected.)

I've been up and down this thread and haven't seen (or have missed, my apologies in advance...) anyone reporting this problem. I've fiddled with pushing settings up to "Best" as recommended here and there: no joy.

I'm willing enough to ask customer service for an install copy of anything pre-4.12 (as I've been distracted by twelve other things, aren't we all at the moment, and did not have backups of what came before). But would prefer to just push the system through this if I can. Does anyone have any thoughts on possible tweaks?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance. dForce isn't a dealbreaker for me, but I prefer to have it there in the normal working machine when I need to call on it, rather than having to haul a file into the Ancient Poor Creaking Desktop and run the simulation over there. :/

Thanks, friends!

--DD

I've not had any issues with dForce, usinga 980ti or a 3090.

I've used a variety of beta versions, including 4.15.0.2

• diane.duane_e7fa2315d1 said:

jbowler said:

a GTX 1050ti on board, drivers all up to date. dForce has been running well enough... until just recently.

DAZStudio runs dForce on the GPU, if it is allowed to (the card selection is in the Simulation advanced options), so I would expect that to be the major perf factor.

...And this turns out to be exactly the source of the problem. For whatever reason, 4.15 (and I'm assuming 4.12) on my machine requires that the card selection be done explicitly (which I hadn\t been doing before). Change the setting to explicitly call the Nvidia card, and the kernel files recompile and the simulation runs, no trouble. Change them to explicitly call the Intel CPU? Same result. Leave it set to call the nonspecific HD Graphics setting? The simulation hangs as previously described.

The troublesome setting

So THANK YOU for putting me onto such a simple and straightforward solution. Doesn't seem like there's anything left to do but get back to rendering.  :)

Thanks again!

--DD

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 779
    edited January 2021

For whatever reason, 4.15 (and I'm assuming 4.12) on my machine requires that the card selection be done explicitly (which I hadn\t been doing before). Change the setting to explicitly call the Nvidia card, and the kernel files recompile and the simulation runs, no trouble. Change them to explicitly call the Intel CPU? Same result. Leave it set to call the nonspecific HD Graphics setting? The simulation hangs as previously described.

The troublesome setting

Now that is weird; my system is almost identical to your's, but I don't see the third entry above.  I've tried the HD Graphics GPU in the past but it always seemed very slow.  These ASUS systems have one GPU on the motherboard and additional GPUs as desired in the PCIe slots.  The motherboard GPU is more than capable of driving a 4K monitor (at least on the Maximus X) and that is where my mine is attached; there's nothing attached to the NVidia GPU.  Maybe CPU rendering is only available if the motherboard GPU is not attached to a monitor?

Oh well, glad to see you are back up and dForcing ;-)

Post edited by jbowler on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

4.15 seems to have broken opacity when volumetric props are in use.  Zero percent opacity no longer means 100% transparent.

Here is a billboard by @RiverSoftArt used with Colm Jackson's Render Studio 2.0 - Volumetric Plus | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

This breaks products like Epic Environments - Mountains of Altair | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D as discussed here: ThePhilosopher's New Mountains of Altair - Daz 3D Forums

This problem also affects transmapped hair.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936
    edited January 2021

I am using DS 4.15.0.2 Public Beta, and I also have a problem with Iray Cutout Opacity. In my case no volume prop is involved. In my case, surfaces that have Cutout Opacity set to 0 are not rendered, but are still causing shadows to be rendered. This example is an oak tree prop from an UltraScenery add on. I set the leaf surface to Cutout Opacity 0. The light is Sun-Sky. Even though the leaves on the tree are not rendered, some are still casting shadows near the edge of the tree. This may be related to areas where leaves overlap; I don't know. I do know that if I used the Geometry Editor to hide the leaf polygons, those same leaves do NOT cast shadows. If I perform the same test with two trees that overlap, the problem gets worse.

One tree, leaf surface Cutout Opacity 0

One tree, leaf surface polygons hidden with Geometry Editor

Two trees, leaf surface Cutout Opacity 0

Two trees, leaf polygons hidden with Geometry Editor

Oak Summer One Tree with leaves opacity 0 Sun-Sky.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 929K
    Oak Summer One Tree with leaves poly hidden Sun-Sky.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 904K
    Oak Summer Trees with leaves opacity 0 Sun-Sky.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Oak Summer Trees with leaves poly hidden Sun-Sky.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited January 2021

More 4.15 opacity weirdness.  When making a viewport render of this headshot, all the hair goes transparent, even through the solid background.

Iray Render for reference

Viewport render

Transparency

OpenGL Opacity Weirdness Iray Ref.jpg
    800 x 800 - 333K
    OpenGL Opacity Weirdness What you get.jpg
    805 x 805 - 104K
    OpenGL Opacity Weirdness Iray Ref.png
    800 x 800 - 657K
    Post edited by Sevrin on
  • juliandeleonjuliandeleon Posts: 0
    edited January 2021

New version is [not good]!

And the link for sending and report bugs does not work.

It´s impposible to run DAZ after the instaling, and if you choose another directory to install (another partition of the hd) you can´t change the old route and always fail.

Is it an older version to install an don´t loose my job?

The bug report is uploaded here because I dont know where to sen send it

Waiting for feedback

log
    log
    debug.log
    125B
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

The bug report is uploaded here because I dont know where to sen send it

Contact Us   File a help ticket   

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388
    edited January 2021

Frinkky said:

I'm getting the same issue as 4.14 - opening the program brings up the splash screen, the main program window appears and within a couple of seconds it freezes - no element responds to mouseover or click. hen he program just closes. The last few lines in the log file are:

2021-01-09 13:46:30.153 Creating Script Engine...2021-01-09 13:46:30.169 WARNING: 3DConnexion Plug-in Error: Could not create Device, CoCreateInstance failed2021-01-09 13:46:30.169 3D mouse support library could not be loaded.2021-01-09 13:46:30.170 Creating Main Window...2021-01-09 13:46:30.171 Creating Viewport Manager...2021-01-09 13:46:30.213 Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport1.2021-01-09 13:46:30.303 Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport2.2021-01-09 13:46:30.362 Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport3.2021-01-09 13:46:30.419 Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport4.2021-01-09 13:46:30.526 Creating Action Manager...2021-01-09 13:46:30.537 Creating Pane Manager...2021-01-09 13:46:30.706 Successfully created OpenGL viewport for AuxViewportView.2021-01-09 13:46:31.362 WARNING: QFile::flush: No file engine. Is IODevice open?2021-01-09 13:46:31.473 WARNING: QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_pslJpegSaveQuality_valueChanged(int)2021-01-09 13:46:31.478 WARNING: QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_sldAniImageQuality_valueChanged(int)2021-01-09 13:46:31.484 WARNING: QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_bbnRestartDriver_released()2021-01-09 13:46:31.564 WARNING: QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_ptbEditNodeGraph_released()2021-01-09 13:46:33.841 Started in: C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 Public Build2021-01-09 13:46:33.841 DAZ Studio Started2021-01-09 13:46:33.842 Creating Pixel Buffer2021-01-09 13:46:33.867 Pixel buffer - Width: 1024 Height: 10242021-01-09 13:46:33.868 Compiling OpenGL Shader...

So it seems to be an opengl issue...

I'm running this on a 4790K cpu (iGPU disabled), 32gb ram and a 1070ti. 

Any ideas would be appreciated. As stated above, I've been having this problem since 4.14 beta so presumably Filament related? I won't try a 4.14 or 4.15 main release as that would overwrite my only working version (4.12).

It does work on my laptop, 8750H 16gb + 1070 8gb.

I noticed in Event Viewer that the issue appeared to be with ntdll.dll. I updated Windows 10 to 1909, hoping that would resolve the issue, but alas no:

Faulting application name: DAZStudio.exe, version: 4.15.0.2

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1316

Post edited by Frinkky on
  • DMaxDMax Posts: 637

I am having some difficulty with The Last Wave (https://www.daz3d.com/the-last-wave)... would this be another example of this issue with opacity and volumetric props? (please refer to attached image)

Also experienced something weird with Infinite Sands (https://www.daz3d.com/infinite-sands) earlier today which made it unusable so after much fiddling I gave up and had to use a different product for a desert landscape.

• I am noticing some "hard" crashes during rendering, especially using simulation.

The crashes actually are causing my entire PC to become unresponsive.  Mouse/Keyboard are non responsive.  

I am forced to hit the POWER Button and reboot as my ONLY option.

I hope that somone is doing something about this.  I can live with DAZ becoming unresponsive , but not MY ENTIRE PC.

I also downloaded the latest nVidia drivers, 461.09. RTX 2070 .

So it is behaving this way with nVidia drivers which were released on Jan 7, 2021

Guys, please take care of this.    

Opacity weirdness with tree leaves.

• Sevrin said:

The opacity issue is known, I believe. Though I thought it required a volumetric effect to show up.

• edited January 2021

I upgraded to 4.15, but, I noticed a rather annoying problem. Once a model is loaded, the New command is disabled.
    To see the command enabled again, I have to restart DAZ from scratch. But as soon as I load any model, the command is disabled.
    Any ideas on how to correct this issue?

thanks

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Just figured I'd chime in with an another example of transparency hair rendering issues in 4.15. No volumetric effects are used in these scenes.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/467891/daz-studio-4-15-blonde-hair-rendering-issue

Richard Haseltine said:

Sevrin said:

The opacity issue is known, I believe. Though I thought it required a volumetric effect to show up.

No, there's a problem with opacity generally.  It just takes a different form when volumetric props are involved. 

outacode_e73983b7ab said:

I upgraded to 4.15, but, I noticed a rather annoying problem. Once a model is loaded, the New command is disabled.
    To see the command enabled again, I have to restart DAZ from scratch. But as soon as I load any model, the command is disabled.
    Any ideas on how to correct this issue?

thanks

That's weird.  I'm assuming you mean character or any model?  Anyway, File>New, Ctrl-N and the icon are all available in 4.15.0.2 (Public) for me with a character loaded.

• I'm at the point that this opacity issue happens on every single document. Even if I start something from scratch and build the scene fromo the ground up, I still have the hair issue.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited March 2021
    Deleted.
    Post edited by dawnblade on
  • dawnblade said:

Sevrin said:

4.15 seems to have broken opacity when volumetric props are in use.  Zero percent opacity no longer means 100% transparent.

Here is a billboard by @RiverSoftArt used with Colm Jackson's Render Studio 2.0 - Volumetric Plus | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

This breaks products like Epic Environments - Mountains of Altair | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D as discussed here: ThePhilosopher's New Mountains of Altair - Daz 3D Forums

This problem also affects transmapped hair.

Nooooo! This is a monumentally humongous problem! Thank you @Sevrin for  discovering this issue. I only installed 4.15 because of G8.1, but now I can't render a figure with transmapped hair, or use any of ThePhilosopher's volumetric products. I use Epic Godrays often. Or any of Colm Jackson's sets with volumetrics. How about fog/mist stuff from Marshian, KindredArts, SickleYield, etc.?

I need to upgrade back to the latest 4.14 version. How can I get it for DIM?

The issue has been reported.

edited March 2021
    Deleted.
    Post edited by dawnblade on
  • The only way to downgrade to 4.14 is by contacting Customer Services.

DoctorJellybean said:

The only way to downgrade to 4.14 is by contacting Customer Services.

Thank you. I'll do that.

• evacynevacyn Posts: 963

dawnblade said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Thank you. I'll do that.

Good luck with that. They didn't respnond to my request for it.

evacyn said:

dawnblade said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Thank you. I'll do that.

Good luck with that. They didn't respnond to my request for it.

Thanks, hopefully they will respond soon with it for everyone who submitted a request.