Introduce Yourself, Hello, my name is.....

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Make that 3 of us. Bryce 2 was my first 3d program, however long ago that was. Do come and visit us in the Bryce forum, we are a really friendly bunch, who enjoy pushing Bryce to it's limits.

• tomhbwctomhbwc Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Hello, everyone. My name is Tom. I actually came across DAZ 4.5 by accident. I was looking online a couple of months ago for a 3D program that would be similar to the "Create-A-Superstar" feature in WWE '13. I first saw poser in Google, but soon realized it was out of my budget (I have $0). That's when i found DS 4.5, and decided to make an account and download the program. I absolutely LOVE this program! It's like WWE '13s "CAS" mode, but on steroids and with way more things to do. I also like that there's a base model to use for people like me who have no clue how to build a 3D model from scratch (I tried to learn Blender, but it was a freaking nightmare). I am very thankful that DAZ Studio was available free. I look forward to making more animation and putting them on my YouTube channel. I also look forward to getting to know everyone here and learning more.

Thanks.

PS: I've included an image of a render I did in DS 4.6. My version of the Joker from "The Dark Knight" as I believe he would appear if he were a character in "The Hunger Games" movie.
    The image consists of:
    Genesis base male model,
    trench coat and tie made by Ghastly,
    K4 basic wear tankini,
    Adam Thwaites' Butterfly Knife,
    Retro Devil's Joker Makeup (Slightly modified to stop the black lines that come down out of the model),
    and a 3D backdrop .obj file of an IMAX theater made by Me in the edit mode of Cube 2 Sauerbraten.

Joker-iphone01.png
    640 x 960 - 561K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Welcome to the DAZ Forums and your latest addiction.

Looks like you're already on your way to mastering DAZ Studio. ~smile~

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Welcome. I would say come see the New User Forums for help but I think I might hunt you down for some help from what I just read.

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

Welcome Tom, Rose, Mike and other new Dazzies :D

The people here are great and when you have questions, just ask =)

• tomhbwctomhbwc Posts: 24
    edited June 2013

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. If anyone's interested, within the next day or so I will be posting an animation I made with DAZ on my youtube channel. Just look up "tomhbwc" on youtube and my channel will be in the results. The animation I made was for a speech I did in college this past semester.

Edit: My video is up. Here's the link-My First DAZ animation

Post edited by tomhbwc on
  • ElettrodadoElettrodado Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

Hello everybody!
    My name is Davide from Italy. I am not completely new to 3dcg and even if I am registered in DAZ since 2005 this is my first post in a long while.
    I landed in Daz being mostly a Poser non professional user. You can check esteduca account on renderosity if you want to see something I have made in the past.
    Since I moved to Mac from PC I decided to do not invest in Poser anymore and try to use DAZ instead, and I must confess I am not yet so sure this is good. I have a lot of difficulties to properly install DAZ and this is due to my poor understanding of MAC OS and directories usage.. I will check some posts on this forum about my issues. Anyway, thanks for listening and I hope I can show you something in a short while.
    Ciao!

edited December 1969

Hello everybody!
    My name is Davide from Italy. I am not completely new to 3dcg and even if I am registered in DAZ since 2005 this is my first post in a long while.
    I landed in Daz being mostly a Poser non professional user. You can check esteduca account on renderosity if you want to see something I have made in the past.
    Since I moved to Mac from PC I decided to do not invest in Poser anymore and try to use DAZ instead, and I must confess I am not yet so sure this is good. I have a lot of difficulties to properly install DAZ and this is due to my poor understanding of MAC OS and directories usage.. I will check some posts on this forum about my issues. Anyway, thanks for listening and I hope I can show you something in a short while.
    Ciao!

Hi, and welcome

Please do come and visit the New Users Help Forum, where we have people waiting to help you, including one who only uses Macs, so is well able to answer any questions that are particular to the brand of computer.

In fact he has a very helpful thread as a sticky at the top of the NU forum http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16599/

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited August 2013

Hello to all!

For reference, I am a guy and I live in the hot Southeastern part of the US. :)

I was an occasional Bryce and Poser user years ago with not much to show for it. I remember being frustrated with (I think) Poser 4's distorted hands and my models turning out with broken ulnas/fibulas and weirdly stretched skin maps. Ewwww! Older versions of Bryce were great but Corel was a poor caretaker and there were crashes and BSODs...

Anyway, I believe both DS and the latest version of Poser have probably fixed all those issues. Although truth be told, those little issues were not the reason for me dropping off. I just got busy. And a bit lazy and undisciplined too! And I still AM busy. And lazy. And undisciplined....hmmmm.

Anyway, here's a brain-dump of things that hold my interest:

* Fantasy, SciFi, male/female couple, and female modelling and animation.
    * Creating new models with actual working bone structures and joints.
    * World, Vehicle, and Prop modelling and animation.
    * Architecture. Futuristic, yet with spaces for use by actual people.
    * Storytelling by word, image, animation, or music.
    * Superhero and SciFi storytelling.
    * Fashion and jewelry for men (myself mostly) and women. I mean actual practical, usable, wearable things.
    * Computer technical stuff. Powerful CPUs and GPUs, distributed rendering, you name it.

I've been a musician in a younger version of myself and still do some playing and composition. I am also into partner dancing for nearly a decade now, and at some point I think I would like to learn more about motion capture for couple dancing, as well as acting and storytelling. I think motion capture could be used to great effect for a future education project, especially for "whole-body movement" skills for sports development such as dance, martial arts, running, swimming, cycling, and whatever.

I joined the Platinum Club and have purchased/downloaded Bryce, Hex, and DS and I've already been watching the tutorials on Daz Studio. I haven't upgraded Poser yet, but DS looks like an excellent tool, so Poser can wait.

My first homework assignment is to peruse the New Users posts and to create myself an avatar. And no, it won't be a single pixel! :D

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
    edited December 1969

Hi, and Welcome, look forward to possibly seeing you in the Bryce Forum. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

You most certainly will. And thank you for helping me get help with my userid/screen name. Much appreciated!

edited December 1969

Hi and welcome. I was sort of wanting to see a Subtropic pixel, I'm not sure I've ever seen one.

edited August 2013

That's Subtropic Pixel. The Pixel part, though small, is integral, yes? ;)

And thank you!

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
    edited December 1969

That's Subtropic Pixel. The Pixel part, though small, is integral, yes? ;)

And thank you!

LOL! I get your Handle (I'm old school they still handles to me) is Subtropic Pixel. But a pixel that is subtropic would still be a normal pixel wouldn't it? :) ;-) ;-P
    edited December 1969

Indeed it would be!

edited December 1969

Welcome to the DAZ forums Subtropic Pixel, and to your latest addiction, because if you weren't addicted when you first started out with 3D software, you will be now. ;-)

edited December 1969

I am somewhat addicted to chocolate. And cherries. In ice cream. So maybe I should render that first...

edited December 1969

Ohhhhhhh chocolate!!! YES, I would love me some chocolate!!! :coolsmile:

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748
    edited August 2013

Hello gang!

I know I already wrote some kind of introduction but to me that was cheating a bit because I was also wondering if I really couldn't use the nick I kinda came to like. As you can see.. then again; it's more likely you don't ;) Thanks to the powers that be (thanks Adam!) I could use the nick I liked.

SO now I felt a proper (more official) introduction is in order..

My name is Peter, I reside in the Netherlands and my main passion is sound. I have other hobbies too of course, but the one thing somewhat overshadowing all my interests is sound and sound synthesis. I like to call myself a semi-professional sound designer, meaning so much as if I hear an interesting sound (think of water coming down a fountain, the noise in your street, the backend "noise" while visiting a store right down to the "beng!" when you closed your door too heavily..) then I might want to reproduce it. And in many cases I will and can!

It gets more bizarre ;-) I can't draw. Never took an interest in it, never bothered. Give me a piece of paper and a pen and demand some nice drawing and you'll most likely get a nice (consistent!) UML diagram :) (heavily offtopic, turn to a search engine for more info).

Even so; 3D modelling has always intrigued me. And although I normally wouldn't have bothered I got a tip that Daz Studio 4.6 ("DS4") was free of charge for a limited amount of time. That got me thinking and calculating. Getting DS4 was an no brainer; but what would be next?

Still not fully understanding everything (but I am getting there) I focussed on the basics. My intention is first to have some fun, second to work out my own fantasies and ideas and finally to have a good time overall.

SO what got me hooked into this 'camp'? Price considerations. I am not a professional, I don't even have any intention - what so ever - to become one but I am looking forward for a good time. DS4 was free; what more would I need?

I'm gonna write up a newbie intro myself soon enough (from a newbie and for the newbies) but in short I was looking for a way to do it all myself. I did pick up some basic contents to help me get going and I'll most likely going to keep up a bit, but my main aim is to make stuff myself. As such I also picked up Bryce & Hexagon besides DS4 and so far I enjoy the ride!

Honestly: I truly have no clue what I'm getting myself into. But so far I grabbed several goodies for DS4 which really inspires me, next there's my no-pro approach. I'm in this for the fun. And then there's the community which I really liked so far.

And I suppose that's my story.

A "3d curious" guy who took a liking into Daz Studio and really likes what he saw so far.

As to my aims.. First thing is to have fun, but second.. I have to admit that the experience was somewhat of an eye opener. At the time of writing I'm focussing myself on creating fantasy sceneries with some optional captioning.

So that is my story.

Post edited by ShelLuser on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,992
    edited December 1969

Another noob intro! ;-)

My name is Bee, I'm a 40-ish female from Germany (and thusly, English isn't my first language).
    I'm a complete newbie to 2/3D art and rendering. I do a bit of sketching and drawing with pencils, but I'm not very talented in that aspect. I also write, sci-fi, fantasy, mostly.
    Fortunately for me, neither art nor writing stories is my day job, or I'd have starved by now. ;-)

I stumbled over DAZ about three months ago, when looking up some things. I have to say, I'd never tried it if it wasn't free. Bad mistake, though. Trying it out, I mean. I soon found out that this is just what I really like to do, and that I can combine this with my other two hobbies, and maybe come up with something satisfying.
    Of course, when the flame was lit, I figured out very quickly that a) the good stuff (content) isn't really free and b) you've got to sit down and work really hard if you want to make any progress. There's c), too, which is "buy a new computer, or go on a holiday trip"? The debate is still ongoing.

So far, I've already learned a lot of things from reading through various threads here, and found this community to be a nice and helpful one. So I'm really looking forward to spend some time here and learn, and I hope I also can become a contributing member in the future!

edited December 1969

Hi there,

First herzlich willkommen :-)

(sorry, couldn't resist ;))

lee_lhs said:
    There's c), too, which is "buy a new computer, or go on a holiday trip"? The debate is still ongoing.

There may be more alternatives to solve that problem, well, if the problem was that you'd want a new computer to make better renders.

My computer isn't exactly state of the art either when it comes to video processing, but I've already found many ways to cope with situations where Daz Studio didn't manage too well (mainly because of memory concerns); one of them is Bryce 7. Make poses and such in DS4, then move your models and props over to Bryce to complete it, where you also can make an appropriate skyline in no time.

Maybe a tip..

edited August 2013

Goedendag! (Sorry, my spoken Durch is rather limited, though I understand it pretty well. :))

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a try.
    Though, the problem is rather one of too much heat created in a poor laptop, than one of lack of memory. The processor just gets really hot with all the calculating, and the ventilation inside a laptop isn't that great, ergo "Zap!" after about 3-5 minutes of rendering. :-(
    I don't know if rendering in Bryce will solve that problem...

Post edited by BeeMKay on
    edited December 1969

lee_lhs said:
    Goedendag! (Sorry, my spoken Durch is rather limited, though I understand it pretty well. :))

Thank you for the suggetion. I will give it a try.
    Though, the problem is rather one of too much heat created in a poor laptop, than one of lack of memory. The processor just gets really hot with all the calculating, and the ventilation insude a laptop isn#t that great, ergo "Zap!" after about 3-5 minutes of rendering. :-(

I doubt it somehow. Bryce has a very advanced render engine, and some render settings can make very long render times. It is only fast when used in default mode, and Bryce has progressed far past only having a default mode to render in.

edited December 1969

lee_lhs said:
    Though, the problem is rather one of too much heat created in a poor laptop, than one of lack of memory. The processor just gets really hot with all the calculating, and the ventilation inside a laptop isn't that great, ergo "Zap!" after about 3-5 minutes of rendering. :-(

Well, Chohole already said most of it, and I have some doubts as well since using a laptop can indeed make a difference.

My problems mostly involved around memory and CPU issues (the latter is an assumption) and I've noticed several examples where Bryce simply kept on rendering where Daz Studio would always prematurely quit. Best part; Bryce even kept going on higher settings (anti alias settings for example).

But in a laptop almost everything will produce heat. From your hard disk to the CPU itself. And no matter what program you'll use to render; the CPU is going to be intensively used, one way or the other. And although there are also plenty of examples where the hardware capabilities of a videocard are being used for rendering; in a laptop it would still make little difference where heat is concerned.

So yeah, in that case it might be a good idea to consider using something else for rendering.

edited August 2013

Thanks for the answers, chohole and Peter!

I've already feared as much. Well, my old Desktop needed replacement, anyway, and the screen's bigger, too.
    Seems like my vacation will take place in Balconia, with many trips to Render Beach. ;-)
    So, off to buy that new PC....

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • Wally_C_2Wally_C_2 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

DAZ 3D - Web Badge Hello im new to this but i want to learn all i can.

edited December 1969

Welcome to the DAZ 3D forum Wally, and welcome to your latest addiction. :-)

Seriously though, if you have any questions, join your fellow Newbies in the New Users Help Forum.

• Zig ZagZig Zag Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I just got started with Daz Studio last week because I need a kind of virtual mannequin for a swimming-related project. Well the last few days have been brutal, to say the least, because I'm new to 3D posing/animation and there's a lot to learn. But it's fun too and I can understand how this stuff can get addicting :-).

• ScraverXScraverX Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

Hello.

Most people out there in internet land call me ScraverX - oddly enough :) I even have custom scuff plates in the door sills of my car with this 'tag' on them.
    I've been using DAZ for about a year - I think - but it isn't my first foray into 3D. I've used and studied; AutoCAD and 3ds Max - in Max I focused more on Scenery, Lighting and Rigging. I've always had an issue with creating realistic looking human forms which is something that attracted me to DAZ. The Genesis figure and associated morphs give me an easy to use and adjust base figure that I can work with to get a look I like. The pre-built poses are good too and I find them quite easy to adjust to fit some of my morph blends.

Inspirations? Well, I take a lot of inspiration from photographs but also I work from a figure and just play around until I come up with something I like. My brain works in a visual and spatial realm - Space, Shapes and Light make more sense to me then Words and Sounds - so I almost build an image in my head then transfer it into DAZ. I'm also a role-player so I sometimes use fantasy and sci-fi themes as inspiration; for example I come up with a character and then try to 'build' that person.
    Sometimes a piece of Content by one vendor or another will be my inspiration.

• pixiefaerydustpixiefaerydust Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Hi...my name is Kathleen but go by Katie and I am new to Daz. I had used it once before a few years ago but gave up before I really got started. This time a good friend got me started again and I have gotten addicted and I am starting slow from the beginning. I am slowly making my way around the forum and finding tutorials and what not. I have done a lot of work in PSP9 making stationery for Incredimail, but digital art is something new for me. But I am looking forward to getting to know other newbies like myself.

Katie