3D Print Questions - Differences in slicer software, cost of printer.

124»

Comments

• Marcus Severus said:

@ Anotherusername and Richardandtracy,  Well I'm pleased if you like the sculpted hair and I'm not trying to be falsely modest by adding that I'm surprised because it really was a 'try out the concept' doodle.  The hair was done just with drawing squiggly lines with the mouse using a sculpting 'draw' brush.  The clothes were done in much the same way.

In case you haven't tried sculpting, I can point out that the sculpting tools drag out and multiply the faces they are being used to paint on.  Meaning that there is no longer a head under that hair - the head became the hair and the waist area became the clothes.   It means that the printing software isn't looking at the clothes and hair being separate meshes as they would if they had been put together from separate items.

It's probable that you knew all that but I mentioned it just in case and for the benefit of anyone else. 

Incidentally, Hexagon allows a kind of sculpting with its displacement tools.  These don't add polygons dynamically as sculpting packages can do but if the mesh is dense enough, they do work.

I think im going to have to learn Blender. Id continue using Hexagon but its just too buggy on my pc.

• One thing to be careful about. If you create your own models and move them back and forth thru different programs, sometimes the scaling factor that is used for export and import can make the model change size and be different than you intended (important to ensure you check import/export scaling). That is why the example above can be useful to check model size.

I think this happened to me several times. When I printed, I think it happened to translate to the correct height by luck. Lol.

• Just seen this in another thread about adding thickness to a plane:

"Use 'Solidify in Blender"

That might be worth investigating for hair & clothing if you can get Blender to work on your machine.

Regards,

Richard

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

AnotherUserName said:

richardandtracy said:

As a first print, that's really good.

Due to my allergy problems with the resin, I've not done anywhere near as much printing as I wanted, but with a 90mm figure, fingers are easily strong enough at modelled sizes.

I did actually break out with a small rash on my right hand the day I set the printer up. Whether its because of the printer materials that I handled or just because i m washing my hands 500 times a day, I dont know.

I think the total size for my file came out to 142mb.

"Time is not in short supply, thinking is."  LOL, isnt that a fact!laugh

I went with PLA a couple of years ago due to lack of decent ventilation in my work area and the toxicity of the resins that were availabe, but since then Anycubic has come out with a non-toxic, plant-based resin you might want to check out, here's one sample:

https://www.amazon.com/ANYCUBIC-Printer-Plant-Based-Precision-Printing/dp/B07YZ7KD32/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=anycubic+resin&qid=1612182805&sr=8-4

-- Walt Sterdan

• I want to. It's mostly inertia at the moment. blush

I have used the Monocure resin in my Photon, and it works well with no allergy problems. The unfortunate thing for the main application I had (fountain pen making) was that the Monocure resin had much more overcure than the Anycubic standard resin and the resin is much softer, meaning when trying to get printed in threads thay are oversize and much more allowance is needed for overcure, and the threads wear away very fast. 30-40 operations was the limit I came across. Not a problem for figures though.

Regards,

Richard

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

richardandtracy said:

I want to. It's mostly inertia at the moment. blush

I have used the Monocure resin in my Photon, and it works well with no allergy problems. The unfortunate thing for the main application I had (fountain pen making) was that the Monocure resin had much more overcure than the Anycubic standard resin and the resin is much softer, meaning when trying to get printed in threads thay are oversize and much more allowance is needed for overcure, and the threads wear away very fast. 30-40 operations was the limit I came across. Not a problem for figures though.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks for the info, I'm still heavily invested in FDM printing but am probably going to try resin at some point in the future, this is very helpful.

-- Walt Sterdan