[Released] Vulpinefolk for Genesis 8 Bundle [Commercial]

Furry and sleek, here they are! Reynard and Reyna the fox, with lots of variations of fur and style.

The head and body are separate shapes, and there are shapes to expand the iris and to make the pupil slitted (which can mix nicely with basic pupil dilation).

Also included are shapes for bigger ears (as you find in bat-eared foxes and fennec), ear hide shapes, and a projection morph to help fit clothing around fur.

Finally, fur styles allow for fur only on the head, extra fluffy, or shortening the fur on the body to offer a slimmer look that can also fit better under clothes.

Comments

• Fox-people come second only to cat-people in my order of precedence, so these are very welcome.

• Sweeeet! Some GREAT companions/foils to go with the FelineFolk! Thanks Oso!!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,527

Yes, very nice, especially the promos.

Jump to the cart with the light speed!!!

• jedijuddjedijudd Posts: 606

Thank you for the great looking foxes

• Bought Reynard immediately this morning when I logged in and saw him because your tails are the best for not having full body fur, great product as usual.

• Another Oso classic. I absolutely love the variation of coat colours found just in the basic product, plus the 'clothes fur' option. Plus, it is always fun to see how your fur settings change.

Note for those with computers that can't hak 400 fir density, 100 looks just fine.

teenagerfox.png
    750 x 1031 - 1M
  • HighElfHighElf Posts: 326

Okay, I must do smth wrong. Every time I try to render Reynard, IRay crashes with a generic "An error occurred" and the log file isn't of any help either. It doesn't even come to a single sample after half an hour of loading and calculating. Is there a step by step guide, how to make him work? I never had this problem with other dForce hair products.

• HighElf said:

Okay, I must do smth wrong. Every time I try to render Reynard, IRay crashes with a generic "An error occurred" and the log file isn't of any help either. It doesn't even come to a single sample after half an hour of loading and calculating. Is there a step by step guide, how to make him work? I never had this problem with other dForce hair products.

What are your system specifications?

i7

32 GB RAM

GTX 1060

• ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

HighElf said:

i7

32 GB RAM

GTX 1060

I have the same setup but with 64GB RAM, and I honestly don't even bother with strand-based hair anymore. No matter what it is, it takes FOREVER for it to start rendering unless I turn it down to a quality that I wouldn't want to render it at anyway.

Generally for me to render a person or animal with strand based hair I'm looking at like 45 minutes to an hour before I see ANY preview of the image (if it doesn't crash in the process) - that's just unreasonable for setting up a scene & doing test renders. The only satisfaction I've gotten from it is to set up the scene without the hair/fur, and add that in last and HOPE it looks good when I hit the final render. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited December 2020

Here's an experiment...

Reynard converted to 3dl!

(AoA lights, ubersurface applied to fur and given specular strength 25% and glossiness 25%)

(Note that in 3DL, fur patterns won't appear; the fur must be a solid color or a gradient along each hair)

Post edited by Oso3D on

Got him running with IRay. Takes literally an hour before the rendering starts. It then renders on CPU and burns the storage space on the C:/ drive as it were nothing  (25GB). As good as he looks, I can't recommend this product for systems with regular graphics cards. I don't know which cards can handle 20+ GB in one go and start to wish NVIDIA would have designed the IRay engine in a way where it could do the render in more reasonable sized batches.

I still love the model tho. And will make him work, one way or another.

• twitchewtwitchew Posts: 123

yeeeeeouch!

HighElf said:

Got him running with IRay. Takes literally an hour before the rendering starts. It then renders on CPU and burns the storage space on the C:/ drive as it were nothing  (25GB). As good as he looks, I can't recommend this product for systems with regular graphics cards. I don't know which cards can handle 20+ GB in one go and start to wish NVIDIA would have designed the IRay engine in a way where it could do the render in more reasonable sized batches.

I still love the model tho. And will make him work, one way or another.

What kind of graphics card do you have? Also not sure why storage space matters.

I have a 2080 Ti, but I tried doing a CPU only render, and I got standard Reynard figure to render to a decent quality in a little over 5 minutes.

Have you had problems with other dForce Hair?

Sometimes things can go wrong when dropping from GPU to CPU. Another alternative, if you KNOW GPU isn't going to be enough, is to switch the render to CPU from the start (in Render Settings).

edited December 2020

I tried now to render directly on the CPU, as Oso mentioned. It shaved about 20 Minutes of the preparation phase. Which means now the first sample appears at the 40 minutes mark. It still allocates 10+ GB from the C:/ drive to compensate for the lack of real graphics ram. Which is a bummer b/c DAZ doesn't give it back reliable without a restart. 

A 2080 Ti costs still ~2'000,-€ so an upgrade is not an option. ;)

Right now I think of creating only billboards with the Vulpines beforehand, which I position in the actual scene later.

Edit: I could pinpoint the fur density 1004 map to be the one, where the loading slows down. But I don't know if that has to say anything.

Post edited by HighElf on

Another option would be going into the Surface settings and change 'Additional PR Hairs Density' to 1/4 the value, and maybe bump up 'Line Start Width' by 2x or 4x.

It won't look as good, but it will be lighter on rendering.

edited December 2020

Oso3D said:

Another option would be going into the Surface settings and change 'Additional PR Hairs Density' to 1/4 the value, and maybe bump up 'Line Start Width' by 2x or 4x.

Yes!  That does the trick. And it still looks good enough in my books. Thank you very much, Oso.

Edit: It also stays inside the GPU. :)

Post edited by HighElf on
    edited December 2020

Reynard fits in 8 GB of video RAM on my computer - rendering time: 57 seconds

Reynard02sc04pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 437K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 2020

Reyna together with Reynard does not fit in 8 GB of VRAM - Rendering Time: 12 minutes 31 seconds

The other discovery, I have made, by looking at the log. It its only 2.743 GiB of available device memory out of 8 GB VRAM.

The only hope is to have fast, multicore CPU with 64 GB of RAM or more and skip rendering on GPU at all.

Reynard01Reyna01pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 459K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 2020

Oso3D said:

Thanks for the tip. With  'Additional PR Hairs Density' changed to 1/4 the value and 'Line Start Width' by 2x, rendering time is 1 minute 36 seconds - scene fits in GPU.

Reynard01Reyna01sc02pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 477K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 2020

Two more examples: first with 'Additional PR Hairs Density' changed to 1/4 the value and 'Line Start Width' by 2x, rendering time is 1 minute 52 seconds

The second one is with 'Additional PR Hairs Density' changed to 1/4 the value and 'Line Start Width' by 4x, rendering time is 1 minute 49 seconds

Reynard01Reyna01sc03pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 472K
    Reynard01Reyna01sc04pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 480K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • is this one considerably heavier than your other furries?

I rendered Rakshasa yesterday with plently of room left on my 980ti, did an animation even until my fridge decided to crash my card as well as my modem in spite of the UPS angry computer kept going but no display 

(unrelated just an issue with my house wiring)

I haven't bought all your furries yet but slowly am

It's hard to measure directly but I'd be very surprised if the render load was noticeably greater; I generally shot for similar density as the tiger and cat.

edited December 2020

One more example: with 'Additional PR Hairs Density' changed to 1/2 the value and 'Line Start Width' to 2x, rendering time is 2 minutes 3 seconds

I like this look even better.

Reynard01Reyna01sc06pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 507K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 2020

Added 3 lights to the scene. Brings more details, but rendering time was: 8 minutes 1 second

Reynard01Reyna01sc07pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 598K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,024

Kit in the Act

That one made me laugh out loud! (Also very nicely done!)

• I need help with the model, the fur is not appearing!

• i dont know if this forum is still open or closed but i need major help! O loaded up the model and this is what i got!

as you can see i loaded up his fur from attachments and even adjusted the slider yet it still wont show! what am i doing wrong?