SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952

Loving the Toons!!

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,799

Are you doing something to their skins to make them more toon?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,563
    edited April 2021

Yes.

I adjust the skins to be slightly more rubbery. I then take them into photoshop and use a camera raw filter. It is called 'clean boost' and is in this package: https://www.theluxelens.com/products/luxe-on-the-farm-lightroom-photoshop-presets

Camera raw filters are fun, but this one, will adjust the color, and make it very slightly more linear.

Then I use a custom filter I adjusted in Topaz Labs to boost the toony quality  further. 

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited April 2021

Cherry Pie A la mode! And I found them some clothing. =-)

Toon2.2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Serene Night said:

The new HAL Character, head dialed in 100 percent, and Body 50 percent, makes an excellent tooned Owen and Boyd.

Their eyes render a bit dark, so we will work on that next time.

That is awesome. Toon shaders suit the pair.

@SereneNight  everything okay?

edited May 2021

This little beach house by Ken Guillard used to be sold here, before he moved to Hive Wire, and then over to Renderosity. It is very nice and recolors well with shaders sold here at DAZ Store. . I only replaced the white paint and the roof tiles and some bricks- oh and the glass of course.

If you haven't checked out the rocky ground prop at rendo: Grass and Rock Ground Prop Set for Daz Studio Iray  it really is useful for making some realistic turf. The stuff included with Ken's house was a bit dated.

Beachhouse.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited May 2021

carrie58 said:

@SereneNight  everything okay

I have been absent, I admit. I was fascinated by toons, and was not sure people wanted to see them. I received ahem, a little criticism that they were uncanny valley. 

I am now mostly recovered from my toon mania, but not sure when it may indeed strike again. smiley

Ummm I like your toons ,but everybody has their own opinions .........Personally I find the artists aiming for realistic to be the uncanny valley cause they want the pores and veins that photographers tend to air brush out ,so I do what I enjoy in the moment if others don't like it then they can look at other art , that's okay with me .Little criticism should be taken with a grain of salt ,not as a guide  though .I admire all your work and characters .

Aww thanks. I am certainly not done with the toons, just for the moment I am cogitating what else to do with them. I like the style, but there aren't a lot of toony environments that match the Disneyesque style.

Okay, the feel the funk outfit, I simply do not FEEL THE FUNK.

Something is very wrong with it. When I dForce out of the box, the shoes become malformed, so I reason, I will take the shoes off and dforce without shoes adding in later. Applying those included boots resets the figure T-pose. WHY?  Plus even after dforceing those pants, Boyd looks like he's gained weight. They fit really bulky for tightish bellbottoms. Verdict. I pass.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,822

Serene Night said:

Something is very wrong with it. When I dForce out of the box, the shoes become malformed, so I reason, I will take the shoes off and dforce without shoes adding in later. Applying those included boots resets the figure T-pose. WHY?  Plus even after dforceing those pants, Boyd looks like he's gained weight. They fit really bulky for tightish bellbottoms. Verdict. I pass.

Sadly, I'm unsurprised that it has issues. I've tried to pick up most of the male major releases, and all of the minority males, because I really do want Daz to keep making them (... I think -- the marketing panel for Romere and Manette on today's front page, and the page banner itself, is a near throwback to the bad old days of Darius and Monique 6) but apparently I've run out of steam on that finally. 

And people criticizing toons for being "uncanny valley" are kind of missing the entire point of toons, I'd say.

edited May 2021

Okay, so here is Feel The Funk. After being fortified with my morning dunkin' I feel more set up to tackle it.

First, yes, it is dForce, and no, you can't get away without using dForce. 

What I want to point out is how much bulk is added with the outfit. Boyd is not a large guy. But with this outfit he looks like he's smuggling twinkies in his pants, and that someone blew hot air inside the shirt to make it balloon out. The fit is just awkward and strange. Plus, even with these simple poses, the zipper disappears inside his chest.

I do like the little disco boots, and they come in some funky styles but they don't fit well around the ankles, which you can see when I take Boyd's clothing off, just to show you how much the outfit bulks.

Also, the boots are buggy. If you apply them after the pose they will reset the figure to t-pose. You've been warned.

There is a minor fix to what dForce does to the boots- you can apply the foot pose after you dForce the whole enchilada. It restores the feet to some degree of normality. 

Feel the funk3.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 679K
    Feel the funke3.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 665K
    Feel the funke32.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 533K
    Feel the funke34.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 419K

vwrangler said:

Serene Night said:

Sadly, I'm unsurprised that it has issues. I've tried to pick up most of the male major releases, and all of the minority males, because I really do want Daz to keep making them (... I think -- the marketing panel for Romere and Manette on today's front page, and the page banner itself, is a near throwback to the bad old days of Darius and Monique 6) but apparently I've run out of steam on that finally. 

And people criticizing toons for being "uncanny valley" are kind of missing the entire point of toons, I'd say.

I am so disappointed with what I've seen so far with Jazz's accessories. I know that bell bottoms can be done well. SdeB really did a nice job with them. But this just doesn't look good on anyone.

LOL About the uncanny valley. I admit I had to google the definition to see why this was used. I don't see it, personally, I think they are cute.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

I don't think they look uncanny, do what you enjoy!  Sometimes people get to judgy if they don't like it they don't have to look at it.

Serene Night said:

I was fascinated by toons, and was not sure people wanted to see them. I received ahem, a little criticism that they were uncanny valley. 

I am now mostly recovered from my toon mania, but not sure when it may indeed strike again. smiley

Nooooooo I don't wish you a speedy recovery from toon mania! I'm really enjoying your toons and don't find them uncanny valley at all.

Hylas said:

Serene Night said:

I was fascinated by toons, and was not sure people wanted to see them. I received ahem, a little criticism that they were uncanny valley. 

Nooooooo I don't wish you a speedy recovery from toon mania! I'm really enjoying your toons and don't find them uncanny valley at all.

Aww good! Clearly toons must continue then! Uncanny valley be darned! =-)

edited May 2021

I haven't really liked the latest Neftis hair, but Yoan hair looks pretty good, and it takes Shaders nicely.

Blonde Yoan  Mature hair texture

Boyd's regular strawberry blonde shade

Boyd-b2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    Boyd-b3.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Serene Night said:

I haven't really liked the latest Neftis hair, but Yoan hair looks pretty good, and it takes Shaders nicely.

Blonde Yoan  Mature hair texture

Ive been waiting to see what your thoughts are on this new hair.  I like the looks of it, and I don't usually care for Neftis hair.

I think this is one of Neftis's better recent hairs. The only issue I found is when you zoom in closer, the fibers of the front area are a tad oversized and it is noticeable in the hairline area. 

I wish that those hairs were finer and somewhat denser, so there is less of the Jeff Goldblum and the giant hairs he sprouted when turning into the fly. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Personally I think your toon take on Owen & Boyd was spot on. 

• SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684

I love your toons!!

Hate the jazz clothes tho-to me they just hang and drape like items from 10 years ago. I don't think they would ever sell items of that quality for the females.

nonesuch00 said:

Personally I think your toon take on Owen & Boyd was spot on. 

Thanks! I am glad you like them. =-)

edited May 2021

Summerhorse said:

I love your toons!!

Hate the jazz clothes tho-to me they just hang and drape like items from 10 years ago. I don't think they would ever sell items of that quality for the females.

Thanks for the nice comments about the toons. I Agree. I think the clothing for men has taken a sad dip for the worse. Too much reliance on dForce as substitution for fit.

edited May 2021

The Western Knight series produces a nice conforming soldier outfit for G8 Male. It loads with two options. Unarmed, and Armed. The armed one is a bit strange as the shield loads upside down, but you can easily reverse it.  The textures aren't heavy and the whole set is 73MB. Which I like.  You can remove the helmet and hide various bits, but it is not so easy to change the texture of the clothing, since it's attached to the belt and the other armored bits. I wish that was a separate mat zone so you can have different knights in your scene. Maybe a texture expansion.

I really like it. I do wish the coif was separate so you could have a lowered chainmail so you can see the figure's hair. At this point, the only exposed bit of the character on the male version of the Knight outfit is the face Interestingly, the female version does have a breast plate.

knighte.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited May 2021

I think Western Knight looks a little dated tbh. Kind of lacking in detail and the texture of the chainmail is distorted.

Post edited by Hylas on
    edited May 2021

Boyd and Owen spend some time at the pool. 

CLUB.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 3M

Hylas said:

I think Western Knight looks a little dated tbh. Kind of lacking in detail and the texture of the chainmail is distorted.

I like the outfit. It could use a texture expansion I think.

edited May 2021

And yes more Boyd Owen Toons!

Toon6.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 880K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214

Boyd and Owen spend some time at the pool. 

Looks great! That pool water is impressive, too.