SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I quite like the Michael 8 .1 character although his skin material does look sort of Malibu Ken with a rub-on tan. LOL, it makes me wish Victoria 8.1 looked like Malibu Barbie, albiet, a more realistic one. Maybe I just need to get the right hair, sunglasses, and bathing suit on her.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited January 2021

3Ddreamer said:

What lighting are you using, can I ask? - I haven't bought M8.1 yet, but have been playing with G8.1M and its skin and I am not having much success, especially side by side with my G8M character. I

tried transfering my character across (not materials), and that wasn't great but the default skin under various HDR just look brown.

Hi Meg: I use dreamlights. Soft Light Pro https://www.daz3d.com/studio-light-pro-iray-hdri-soft-light

The one I use is 7k Black Back Warm to Cold HDRI.

In addition to that I do use a custom Topaz Studio filter to brighten it up. Topaz Studio (original version) is free, and you can dowload it. I created a filter, you use in conjunction. The recipe is attached.

Preset.JPG
    1309 x 908 - 512K
    Post edited by Serene Night on

nonesuch00 said:

I quite like the Michael 8 .1 character although his skin material does look sort of Malibu Ken with a rub-on tan. LOL, it makes me wish Victoria 8.1 looked like Malibu Barbie, albiet, a more realistic one. Maybe I just need to get the right hair, sunglasses, and bathing suit on her.

I like Michael 8.1 but he's just not Michael. Michael has always been in his 24-40 age bracket and I see Michael 8.1 as sort of in the 18-25 age bracket. Sort of a different thing. That said. I like him a lot. His skin is generic, but there are times when I want that. I also LOVE his head. I didn't care for M8's John Travolta head.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,276

Serene Night said:

3Ddreamer said:

What lighting are you using, can I ask? - I haven't bought M8.1 yet, but have been playing with G8.1M and its skin and I am not having much success, especially side by side with my G8M character. I

tried transfering my character across (not materials), and that wasn't great but the default skin under various HDR just look brown.

Hi Meg: I use dreamlights. Soft Light Pro https://www.daz3d.com/studio-light-pro-iray-hdri-soft-light

The one I use is 7k Black Back Warm to Cold HDRI.

In addition to that I do use a custom Topaz Studio filter to brighten it up. Topaz Studio (original version) is free, and you can dowload it. I created a filter, you use in conjunction. The recipe is attached.

Thanks - I don't have that set, but have wishlisted it :-)  I'll have a play with some of the other light sets I've got to see if I can find one that works.

So, conversion of your favorite characters are super easy to G8.1

I am not sure how much I will use G8.1 since I only have a  5G graphic card, but I like to check it out, and I will eventually upgrade.

I just saved owen and boyd as characters and applied them to base male G8.1

There is something slightly different about the eye structure. Especially with Owen. He now has a slightly grumpy look. I am not sure why except maybe Owen's skin is Genesis 3 which may be the reason. 

edited January 2021

Here are some of the expressions converted to G8.1 Boyd. The conversion is mostly okay, Boyd's skin has an issue with a pale line under the lips, I will need to correct.

Capture3.JPG
    710 x 815 - 57K
    confused.JPG
    716 x 821 - 59K
    puzzled.JPG
    713 x 822 - 60K
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,745

Serene Night said:

I am not sure how much I will use G8.1 since I only have a  5G graphic card,

Is 8.1 more resource heavy?

The new version of daz studio plus g8.1 is pretty much intensive, I get drops to cpu even with one character. I still have 4.11 and use that primarily since the version of Iray in 4.11 is less memory intensive and I can render The boys without issue in the same scene without cpu drops.

I cannot render v8.1 with hd in the new studio without studio seizing. There seems to be a combo of things going on. More resolution, more memory intensive iray, and other stuff.

Serene Night said:

The new version of daz studio plus g8.1 is pretty much intensive, I get drops to cpu even with one character. I still have 4.11 and use that primarily since the version of Iray in 4.11 is less memory intensive and I can render The boys without issue in the same scene without cpu drops.

I cannot render v8.1 with hd in the new studio without studio seizing. There seems to be a combo of things going on. More resolution, more memory intensive iray, and other stuff.

Oh, major bummer... I lterally just bought a 8GB card. Still have to set the whole thing up. Now I wonder if this means that I won't be able to use 8.1 figures...

edited January 2021

So m8.1 has a fair resemblance to Republican senator Madison Cawthorn..

edited January 2021

Serene Night said:

So m8.1 has a fair resemblance to Republican senator Madison Cawthorn..

I was silently wondering about that!

I kept telling myself that it's just in my head...

I won't say anything more about that to respect the no politics rule.

Post edited by Hylas on
    edited January 2021

A picture is worth a thousand words

cawthorn.jpg
    800 x 529 - 132K
    M8.jpg
    1500 x 1950 - 815K
    edited January 2021

Hylas said:

Serene Night said:

Oh, major bummer... I lterally just bought a 8GB card. Still have to set the whole thing up. Now I wonder if this means that I won't be able to use 8.1 figures...

So according to Richard there shouldn't be much difference in the figure itself... perhaps the new skins and/or shaders are heavier? Were you using any of those?

Post edited by Hylas on
  • Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,554

Now that's all I can see when I look at him, too. 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808

Serene Night said:

See, now I'm going to have to, like, make him a hairy redhead or something. (Not political, particularly, but I don't like having characters that look particularly like specific celebrities in my runtime.) 

I wonder if he would even work as a redhead, since he seems to be tuned to be a tanned-ish blond? We shall see....

@Vwrangler I tried his skin on Boyd earlier. It has the benefit of being a sort of okay base skin. I do think it is more Base Male than M8.1 though. It is... Plain. I think its a bit dark for a redhead. Its nearly red, like a lot of the skins are.

@Hylas   I know the new version of studio uses the latest IRAY which in itself is a memory user. But, I also think the base resolution is ramped up a bit with G8.1   If whatever it is that causes the load happens, and it drops to CPU, my computer is overwhelmed trying to run it. It did that with Victoria 8.1 with full HD.    I can however run Victoria 8.0 with full HD and Both Owen and Boyd wtih Full HD without problem in 4.11 so your mileage will vary

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,751

How does he look with regular GM8 skins? I've heard people say the one he comes with is quite inferior to Vicky 8.1's and that he's somewhat toonish. On the other hand I've seen some excellent renders -- yours and Mal3d's to name a few -- so I'm a bit on the fence about buying. Today's bundle is more useful to me than yesterday's but still insanely expensive what with no discount for previous owners and a requirement of 3 add ons just to get 24% off. Since half of the qualifying items are female stuff I'm not interested in, that's really not an enticement to buy. 

As to his resemblance to a certain American political personage, well now I kinda want to get my hands on him and turn him into the exact opposite of that guy I just looked up. For ... reasons. ;-)

edited January 2021

The expressions seem to be quite natural, at least the negative ones. The one thing I notice, is Owen seems to have an extra muscle under his lip. I wonder if it is a result of using a G7 skin, but the UV is correct. It seems like the mouth appears to be larger, but the mouth texture is small, and thus, it makes it look like he's got this extra lip surface? I only see it on some expressions.

O-Afraid.JPG
    712 x 831 - 55K
    O-Angry.JPG
    716 x 820 - 59K
    O-Suprised.JPG
    718 x 818 - 72K
    O-Smile.JPG
    720 x 818 - 67K
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808

Serene Night said:

@Vwrangler I tried his skin on Boyd earlier. It has the benefit of being a sort of okay base skin. I do think it is more Base Male than M8.1 though. It is... Plain. I think its a bit dark for a redhead. Its nearly red, like a lot of the skins are.

Well ... the good news, sort of, is that by reducing his translucency and specular weights, he can make a remarkably successful redhead. Makes him nearly as pale as Michael 8.

The bad news, sort of, is that now he strongly resembles KJ Apa from Riverdale, except that M81 actually does look like he's meant to be a redhead, which, no matter how much hair dye they use on him, Apa does not.

Apparently, M81 is just cursed to look like someone famous.

Serene Night said:

The expressions seem to be quite natural, at least the negative ones. The one thing I notice, is Owen seems to have an extra muscle under his lip. I wonder if it is a result of using a G7 skin, but the UV is correct. It seems like the mouth appears to be larger, but the mouth texture is small, and thus, it makes it look like he's got this extra lip surface? I only see it on some expressions.

I've noticed on various textures -- across generations, not just G8 in particular -- that sometimes the lip texture doesn't cover the whole lip surface, so you wind up with a visible mismatch.

edited January 2021

@Vwrangler it does definitely look like his lip is swollen. I can live with it though. I don't do a ton of closeups, but it looks odd. It could be a morph as well. I will have to check through them and see if one does not play well with g8.1's facial rig.

edited January 2021

Byrdie said:

How does he look with regular GM8 skins? I've heard people say the one he comes with is quite inferior to Vicky 8.1's and that he's somewhat toonish. On the other hand I've seen some excellent renders -- yours and Mal3d's to name a few -- so I'm a bit on the fence about buying. Today's bundle is more useful to me than yesterday's but still insanely expensive what with no discount for previous owners and a requirement of 3 add ons just to get 24% off. Since half of the qualifying items are female stuff I'm not interested in, that's really not an enticement to buy. 

As to his resemblance to a certain American political personage, well now I kinda want to get my hands on him and turn him into the exact opposite of that guy I just looked up. For ... reasons. ;-)

I don't have an issue With M8.1's textures. I think they wanted to make him relatively handsome and young, so they didn't give him many imperfections. The skin will be useful as an universal skin and it takes diffuse well.

I too find the bundles pricey especially with the enivornments included which seems like filler. The strong Wheelchair/theme is very well done, but sort of not something I will use a lot of. I do like the clothing in the second bundle more, so if given a choice, I'd get that one, although the hair is nice in bundle number 1 is nice. 

I don't care for the basketball outfit in set 1. It doesn't look good to me, and the drape seems weird for basketball clothing. 

As far as your final comment. I agree.

Here is M8.1 with Ashan's skin.

I've noticed there are slight difficult to descrbie differences around the eyes, and mouth. The textures might not be.... Right, or something else. hard to say.

Ashan.jpg
    700 x 800 - 232K

Well, I think I'm going to play a bit more with the base G8.1s before I make any big investments. Still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't on them ... and I've just discovered nearly all of my expression sets are useless. Hope they get updated or somebody comes up with a converter, because I have a lot of expressions and my most used ones are a no-go if I rebuild my characters on 8.1. 

The expressions with dials won't work, but expressions with presets seem to.

I find a lot of g8 expressions look a bit weird on g81

My favorite set I used a lot or G8m is  https://www.daz3d.com/pictures-of-you-iii-morph-dial-and-one-click-expressions-for-genesis-8-male-s

I usually dial them in about half. The Dials do not work but the one click ones do. Unfortunately they are at full strength which can be slightly terrifying on the boys. Smiles look better at half on them. 

edited January 2021

I am going to try dialing them in at half on G8m and seeing if baking the expression will work. I tried saving it as a pose and no luck.

Don't have that set yet but wishlisted. None of my Zeddicuss ones work, nor do the i3d set I most often use.  Will have to go thru them all & see what I can sort out, maybe move them into a separate folder for use on 8.1. 

Thats a good idea. That way they won't clutter up your studio. I have found purging expressions and morphs to be helpful to loading the figures quickly. 

I am disappointed that G8.1 Male's folders are already broken though. It seemed a good opportunity to start over with a better organization method than the junky one currently used. But already, on day 2 stuff is out of order.

Things to note, mouth realism seems to be turned on by default with g8m.1 so if you have that on your character, dial G8's off.

edited January 2021

Owen & Boyd G8.1​

skepticalwwe.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M

Serene Night said:

Oh wow, it is him. He is his own person that is for sure. Walking or wheel chair; he will not be cowed, he knows it's the law that's on paper that counts. I've been in the military and and 50% of those volunteers sincerely only volunteer for everyone else's sake but their own. The others mostly for college & training benefits to get out of minimum wage jobs without college debt or good high school grades. He seems to be the former, but either is a 100% legitimate and rational choice by the volunteer in question.

Anyway, Serene Night, your expensions look great. It's time your made a few DAZ 3D products for the store in all your fastidious attention to details.

I think all 'hierarchtical' poses and expressions are broken. I tried a recent 'teen poses' for G8F & G8M set of body poses & none worked on G8.1M. Other pose presets for G8.1M did work. Other pose sets for G8.1F worked.